ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a new era in Hawkeye Land!!! - FSU fan thread to discuss Hawkeye football

Kirk (offensive side) and Brian;

the-best-you-can-do-sucks-do-better.gif

Got in from a day riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on peak leaf watching season. Awesome day. Turned the game on just in time to see the last Iowa possession.
Ouch. Pressure, pressure, picked off. Ouch.
Bummer.

So, I missed the play. I've read that DeJean did one time raise his arm above the shoulder while waiving the blockers away from the ball.

Tell me the truth - did DeJean in any way, shape or form even come close to raising his arm shoulders and above at any point?

Iowa absolutely deserved to lose this game, but it sounds like the general consensus is that was a very bad call.

FSU Guys; Does Ferentz obstinate arrogance remind you of the end of Bowden?

Very much so. Bobby was insistent that Jeff be hired, so much so that the school came up with a BS way to circumvent the State's anti-nepotism law (officially, Jeff directly answered to one of the other coaches, or the AD - some such nonsense. When it was clear to everyone other than Bobby and his wife that it was not working, he dug his heels in and refused to make a change. 30 years of goodwill got burned up in a couple of bad seasons.

Reactions: goldmom and pjhawk
So, I missed the play. I've read that DeJean did one time raise his arm above the shoulder while waiving the blockers away from the ball.

Tell me the truth - did DeJean in any way, shape or form even come close to raising his arm shoulders and above at any point?

Iowa absolutely deserved to lose this game, but it sounds like the general consensus is that was a very bad call.

I do not think so. He MAYBE had it at shoulder height, but was just pointing in the direction of the ball, with no waiving whatsoever. I do not think it was even close to being over his head.

Not even close to close but the shoulder height wasn't the issue.

Not even close to close but the shoulder height wasn't the issue.

What I'm reading online is pretty much any waiving of any type CAN be interpreted as an invalid fair catch - even though it doesn't explicitly state what that constitutes. It DOES state a valid signal is waiving his hand above his head waiving side to side.

I guess my thinking is the invalid statement is poorly worded where just about any arm movement other that what a fair catch is worded as should be ruled invalid always.

Just...unfortunate.

What I'm reading online is pretty much any waiving of any type CAN be interpreted as an invalid fair catch - even though it doesn't explicitly state what that constitutes. It DOES state a valid signal is waiving his hand above his head waiving side to side.

I guess my thinking is the invalid statement is poorly worded where just about any arm movement other that what a fair catch is worded as should be ruled invalid always.

Just...unfortunate.
Yep. It sucks. If they didn't call that, no one on the minny side would be bitching about it. They wouldn't have even known it could have been called.

Very much so. Bobby was insistent that Jeff be hired, so much so that the school came up with a BS way to circumvent the State's anti-nepotism law (officially, Jeff directly answered to one of the other coaches, or the AD - some such nonsense. When it was clear to everyone other than Bobby and his wife that it was not working, he dug his heels in and refused to make a change. 30 years of goodwill got burned up in a couple of bad seasons.
They had to do the same thing at Iowa to circumvent the Iowa nepotism law. The thing is, at the time Iowa fans were so sick of Greg Davis that the hire wasn't controversial. Brian was also the o-line coach in 2016 when the o-line won the Joe Moore award (although I still don't get that)--the offense was clunky as hell that year as it has been most of the Ferentz years.

It seems like the Bowden thing was much more egregious, there was at least an argument for Brian to get the job in 2017 (I wasn't enthusiastic but certainly didn't oppose it -- I remember having a "sure why not" attitude about the promotion). Brian was also credited for the culture change in the program that took us from the mediocrity of the early 2010's to the great 2015 season.

But he's ended up being a total incompetent as the years have gone on. There's absolutely no way any other o-coordinator would have survived last year's incompetence without the nepotism factor.

They had to do the same thing at Iowa to circumvent the Iowa nepotism law. The thing is, at the time Iowa fans were so sick of Greg Davis that the hire wasn't controversial. Brian was also the o-line coach in 2016 when the o-line won the Joe Moore award (although I still don't get that)--the offense was clunky as hell that year as it has been most of the Ferentz years.

It seems like the Bowden thing was much more egregious, there was at least an argument for Brian to get the job in 2017 (I wasn't enthusiastic but certainly didn't oppose it -- I remember having a "sure why not" attitude about the promotion). Brian was also credited for the culture change in the program that took us from the mediocrity of the early 2010's to the great 2015 season.

But he's ended up being a total incompetent as the years have gone on. There's absolutely no way any other o-coordinator would have survived last year's incompetence without the nepotism factor.

The vast majority of the fan base was fine with it. We were coming off three straight appearances in the NC game, Bobby could have appointed his wife as OC and won the fight with the AD.
It went downhill in a hurry. I knew he was in over his head in a game against Notre Dame. We killed ourselves with penalties and turnovers, and were down 34 with about 6 or 7 minutes left. We scored a TD, and obviously needed to go for two - but kicked the extra point. Recovered an onside kick, scored quickly, got the 2xp, then recovered another onside kick. Did not matter because e were still 2 scores down. Afterward, Jeff was asked why we didn't go for two after the first TD, and responded "I just didn't think about it."
Knew right then he was not cut out for the job. I could do that math when I was 8 years old.

Edit..down 24. 3 tuddy with 3 2xp...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT