ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a new era in Hawkeye Land!!! - FSU fan thread to discuss Hawkeye football

The vast majority of the fan base was fine with it. We were coming off three straight appearances in the NC game, Bobby could have appointed his wife as OC and won the fight with the AD.

Bobby told Sandy D, the university president, that he would quit if Jeff wasn’t given the OC job. Sandy, years later, said he didn’t want to be the reason Bobby left FSU.

Reactions: Moral and SeaPA
nope

**2 yards in the entire second half
I am absolutely disgusted with the third quarter play-calling. There should’ve been ONE goal; get out of the third quarter ASAP. Burn clock, don’t turn the ball over. Basically, do what we did against Wisconsin. Fleck understood the importance of having the wind at your back, Brian was (and always has been) completely oblivious to this fact.

Minnesota did a lot of the work for us with the 6+ minute drive right after half. Our three third quarter possessions resulted in 2:40 of possession time. KNEELING IT THREE TIMES AND PUNTING will burn almost that much clock. Minnesota had the ball four times that quarter. FOUR. It should’ve been two, maybe three.

We didn’t run the ball for shit. We didn’t even TRY to establish a run game. I don’t know why we were content with this plan against Wisconsin, where we eventually broke a long one, but not against the 10th best rushing defense in the conference.

There is a specific path and style of play we have to follow. Brian is clearly oblivious to this. I was ready to back off my criticism because of how smart the win against Wisconsin was given the injuries and that we were ACTUALLY attempting to play complementary football. Thought a corner was turned. Nope.

I am absolutely disgusted with the third quarter play-calling. There should’ve been ONE goal; get out of the third quarter ASAP. Burn clock, don’t turn the ball over. Basically, do what we did against Wisconsin. Fleck understood the importance of having the wind at your back, Brian was (and always has been) completely oblivious to this fact.

Minnesota did a lot of the work for us with the 6+ minute drive right after half. Our three third quarter possessions resulted in 2:40 of possession time. KNEELING IT THREE TIMES AND PUNTING will burn almost that much clock. Minnesota had the ball four times that quarter. FOUR. It should’ve been two, maybe three.

We didn’t run the ball for shit. We didn’t even TRY to establish a run game. I don’t know why we were content with this plan against Wisconsin, where we eventually broke a long one, but not against the 10th best rushing defense in the conference.

There is a specific path and style of play we have to follow. Brian is clearly oblivious to this. I was ready to back off my criticism because of how smart the win against Wisconsin was given the injuries and that we were ACTUALLY attempting to play complementary football. Thought a corner was turned. Nope.
The Wisconsin game it feels like is the first game in forever where I was just happy after the game, it feels like every other game for years I've still been pissed off or at the least annoyed at the offense even if Iowa won the game.

There's not any interest or suspense left with this, it's not at all funny anymore if it ever was. Brian is incompetent and should have been fired long long ago. If Brian had any scruples at all he would just resign immediately. There is no way this can continue beyond this season. No way. It's over.

I thought that after the BTCG on 2021, but here we are .

The smug arrogance of Kirk and crew is getting really really irritating. Sure, we got screwed in this game, but it's long past time our new AD took charge and put Kirk and his beautiful boy in their place.
She's not going to do anything crazy until they take off the interim tag. Leading a coaching search is a BIG deal and an interim would be begging to be shit canned if they fired the HC thats been there for 20 years.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
That was the most fun I’ve had watching an Iowa football game since PSU 2021.
I guess the Wisconsin game last year was fun as well, I actually went to that game. Beating Wisconsin whether the offense sucks or not (and it really really sucked in that game last year) seems to have that effect on me.

But this year's Wisconsin game did have that "complementary football" vibe that they're always yammering about. The way Iowa played offense after getting the lead made some sense in the flow of the game.

I just get sick and tired of the attitude of Kirk/Brian and a lot of our fans that one of the reasons our defense and special teams are so good is because we suck on offense on purpose.

She's not going to do anything crazy until they take off the interim tag. Leading a coaching search is a BIG deal and an interim would be begging to be shit canned if they fired the HC thats been there for 20 years.

Word. Any decision will be made much higher up. This is on the president, board of trustees and big money donors.

I'm not talking about firing them (at least not Kirk right now--it's in her power to fire Brian immediately however). I'm talking about ordering them to fulfill their normal responsibilities per the media. She's in charge of whether they get to welch out on stuff like this, Kirk/Brian don't get to make that call.

Reactions: millah_22
I'm not talking about firing them (at least not Kirk right now--it's in her power to fire Brian immediately however). I'm talking about ordering them to fulfill their normal responsibilities per the media. She's in charge of whether they get to welch out on stuff like this, Kirk/Brian don't get to make that call.
got ya, I misunderstood when you said "put them in their place."

Reactions: pjhawk
Wow, watching Utah vs USC and Utah was in a way more dire position than Iowa and they've just marched down the field, pins and needles for every other fan base in the country in the type of situation Iowa was in on the 46 yd line with a 1:30 left but for Iowa fan we knew our game was over, no freaking way we were gonna move it 20-25 yds.

Wow, watching Utah vs USC and Utah was in a way more dire position than Iowa and they've just marched down the field, pins and needles for every other fan base in the country in the type of situation Iowa was in on the 46 yd line with a 1:30 left but for Iowa fan we knew our game was over, no freaking way we were gonna move it 20-25 yds.
with their back up QB.

I was pretty absorbed in our game but I did see that absolutely horrible call and no amount of groveling from the B1G offices will fix it.
The parts of the game that I watched live were impressive for the passion and game atmosphere you folks have in Kinnick and the pause where everyone waves at the kids in the hospital windows is just awesome. That’s an Iowa tradition that not enough of the country knows about.

If FSU does end up in the B1G I’d love to visit for a game up there. In September or early October of course.

At this point everything is about Kirk. It’s been 3 yrs plus of absolute pathetic offense. He’s obviously satisfied with the personnel, coaches, practices, play calling, recruiting, etc etc. Iowa made a freshmen linebacker look like an All American yesterday. Think the difference between yesterday and last week might have been familiarity. Any team even with average to below average talent on D. Is going to look good when they understand exactly what’s coming on nearly every play.

One poster here is paid to write flowery pieces. Let's see how he dresses up this pig.
I do wonder if @torbee reads these threads to come up with ideas for columns. If anything I'd like to see him write something about the angst we all feel at this time.

I'm not happy the Hawkeyes lost. I am happy the Gophers won. It made for a much more pleasant flight home yesterday.

Reactions: billanole
At this point everything is about Kirk. It’s been 3 yrs plus of absolute pathetic offense. He’s obviously satisfied with the personnel, coaches, practices, play calling, recruiting, etc etc. Iowa made a freshmen linebacker look like an All American yesterday. Think the difference between yesterday and last week might have been familiarity. Any team even with average to below average talent on D. Is going to look good when they understand exactly what’s coming on nearly every play.

Its not only that, it's the plays. In person you notice how disjointed it is. At least KoK's teams had decent timing.

I don't know how anyone spins -2 yards in a half in the 7th? Year of the OC.

I'm glad I disengaged myself somewhat from this. 25 years ago??? Lol

Reactions: millah_22

One big difference between the Jeff Bowden era and this current BF mess is the stadium attendance. Our home game attendance, and booster contributions, declined significantly with each passing year of Jeff’s rainbow offense. That continued until Bobby finally retired.

Iowa packs the stadium every week no matter how awful the offense is. It obviously helps that the defense and special teams are among the best in the country.

One big difference between the Jeff Bowden era and this current BF mess is the stadium attendance. Our home game attendance, and booster contributions, declined significantly with each passing year of Jeff’s rainbow offense. That continued until Bobby finally retired.

Iowa packs the stadium every week no matter how awful the offense is. It obviously helps that the defense and special teams are among the best in the country.
True

I do wonder if @torbee reads these threads to come up with ideas for columns. If anything I'd like to see him write something about the angst we all feel at this time.
Iowa won the game.

They played shitty, not gonna sugarcoat it.

But they won the game and got completely and utterly screwed.

For that reason alone I hope they find a way to win the West still --- they are a flawed team but man do they never, ever quit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT