ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a new era in Hawkeye Land!!! - FSU fan thread to discuss Hawkeye football

While the call was questionable.....-2 yards in a half is THE story.

Someone in the media needs to use this word "Incompetent"

Reactions: BelemNole
While the call was questionable.....-2 yards in a half is THE story.

Someone in the media needs to use this word "Incompetent"
The call wasn't questionable. It was blown.

DeJean did not wave his arms. He pointed out blocking, which is legal.

Iowa was cheated out of a win. A win they earned with excellent defense and special teams play. While overcoming not having its three most important skill position players and being coached by a terrible offensive coordinator.

I do wonder if @torbee reads these threads to come up with ideas for columns. If anything I'd like to see him write something about the angst we all feel at this time.
To answer this question, no, I don't read these threads to come up with ideas ---- that usually happens organically during and right after the games.

I do, however, sometimes workshop some of my sentences and talking points via the threads. It helps quite a bit, actually.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition

Iowa was cheated out of a win. A win they earned with excellent defense and special teams play. While overcoming not having its three most important skill position players and being coached by a terrible offensive coordinator.
I 100% agree it was a completely blown call. That being said, they still got the ball at the 46 and went backwards. This offense is completely broken. Deacon Hill is completing just 37% of his passes which is by far and away last in the NCAA.

Reactions: Kelsers

You say that, but if there was a pulse of an offense the call would not have mattered.

There is a lot of focus on that call, and its a red herring.

I 100% agree it was a completely blown call. That being said, they still got the ball at the 46 and went backwards. This offense is completely broken. Deacon Hill is completing just 37% of his passes which is by far and away last in the NCAA.
Deacon Hill is a bad quarterback and there is zero reason to not try the backup. KF is insane if he thinks Deacon gives Iowa the best chance to win.

Brian Ferentz needs to be gone - I am hopeful and actually expect it to be voluntary following this season.

Those two things said, Iowa "deserved" to win the game because it had the most dynamic, amazing playmaker who made a GAME WINNING PLAY that officials erroneously took off the board. That is egregious and unacceptable.

anchorman-comedy.gif

Reactions: cfbfan23
Deacon Hill is a bad quarterback and there is zero reason to not try the backup. KF is insane if he thinks Deacon gives Iowa the best chance to win.

Brian Ferentz needs to be gone - I am hopeful and actually expect it to be voluntary following this season.

Those two things said, Iowa "deserved" to win the game because it had the most dynamic, amazing playmaker who made a GAME WINNING PLAY that officials erroneously took off the board. That is egregious and unacceptable.
I've been to a lot of games at Kinnick and that was the worst in person call I've ever seen. The Michigan game in '05 had a bunch of bad calls but not one singular call in a moment like that. It was also a bizarre call in that I honestly had never heard of an invalid signal penalty before that.

Reactions: torbee
FSU had a call like that on a punt return a couple of years ago. Similar reasoning by the refs. It happens quite a bit.

Iowa still had the ball with almost 2 minutes left and only needed about 25 yards to be in reasonable field goal range.
Our kicker is pretty good. I think 20 yards would have given us a ~50 yard attempt. He can hit that.

The issue I have with the punt return is that you see it every Saturday (including several this past week) where a returner waves his teammates off and it's not called. If that's what they want, then they need to call it consistently. Also, no one on the field thought it was a fair catch. No one.

games like this is what we get when iowa fans “embrace the suck”.

People like @torbee like to point to the record when they win as a way to deflect criticism, and have this blown call and injuries to point to to excuse when they lose.

An offense in the top 75% avoids all of the criticism of this program.

Our kicker is pretty good. I think 20 yards would have given us a ~50 yard attempt. He can hit that.

The issue I have with the punt return is that you see it every Saturday (including several this past week) where a returner waves his teammates off and it's not called. If that's what they want, then they need to call it consistently. Also, no one on the field thought it was a fair catch. No one.
Agree that it's not called consistently. The rule needs some clarification, either directly to the rule itself, or in the rule discussion. A lot of teams have gone to using the baseball "safe" signal in that situation. That's tough to do when sprinting to the sideline though.

Reactions: srams21
I'm at the point where I now realize that KF and Brian literally don't know anything about QB play. It is clear they are way out of their element. The worst thing KF did (and I said it at the time) wasn't promoting Brian to OC. It was giving Brian the QB coach role when KOK retired. They should have brought in an actual QB coach.

In his one start, Joey Labas went 14/24 for 139 yards, 1 TD and no turnovers. Not great by any means, but literally far better than any game Deacon has played. I get the whole Iowa fan "backup QB is better" rhetoric is usually false but I don't believe KF when he says Deacon and Labas aren't even close.

games like this is what we get when iowa fans “embrace the suck”.

People like @torbee like to point to the record when they win as a way to deflect criticism, and have this blown call and injuries to point to to excuse when they lose.

An offense in the top 75% avoids all of the criticism of this program.
This is such a lazy argument.

Iowa sucks on offense and needs to figure out how to fix it, and sooner rather than later.

However, that in no way diminishes wins that have been achieved by scoring more points than the other teams Iowa plays and celebrating those wins. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME, period. And Iowa does so more often than nearly every other team in the Big 10 not named Ohio State or Michigan. I see zero reason to not enjoy that, even when the team has a major flaw.

get the whole Iowa fan "backup QB is better" rhetoric is usually false but I don't believe KF when he says Deacon and Labas aren't even close.
I mean, how f----ing bad could he POSSIBLY be in practice if you take what Deacon did at Wisconsin and against Minnesota and think "welp, that's as good as anyone on this team can do back there!?"

I mean, how f----ing bad could he POSSIBLY be in practice if you take what Deacon did at Wisconsin and against Minnesota and think "welp, that's as good as anyone on this team can do back there!?"

What did Labas do that makes him a worse choice? He won a bowl game. I struggle to wrap my mind around it.

Reactions: srams21 and torbee

Iowa sucks on offense and needs to figure out how to fix it, and sooner rather than later.

However, that in no way diminishes wins that have been achieved by scoring more points than the other teams Iowa plays and celebrating those wins. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME, period. And Iowa does so more often than nearly every other team in the Big 10 not named Ohio State or Michigan. I see zero reason to not enjoy that, even when the team has a major flaw.
Iowa would be more like indiana than Ohio State or Michigan if they were in the east.

Enjoy the protections that the west provided while it lasts. We will see how you embrace the suck next year. At least you have the injury excuse if iowa drops a couple more this season because of that major flaw.

Iowa would be more like indiana than Ohio State or Michigan if they were in the east.

Enjoy the protections that the west provided while it lasts. We will see how you embrace the suck next year. At least you have the injury excuse if iowa drops a couple more this season because of that major flaw.
Iowa has the best winning record against Big 10 East teams of all the teams in the West.

I was pretty absorbed in our game but I did see that absolutely horrible call and no amount of groveling from the B1G offices will fix it.
The parts of the game that I watched live were impressive for the passion and game atmosphere you folks have in Kinnick and the pause where everyone waves at the kids in the hospital windows is just awesome. That’s an Iowa tradition that not enough of the country knows about.

If FSU does end up in the B1G I’d love to visit for a game up there. In September or early October of course.
I think it would be fun to have FSU-Iowa tailgate at Kinnick, but everyone would have to wear their avatar badge as a button so I know right away who to ignore.

How many times did they play michigan, ohio state, and penn state compared to other teams in the east?
Over its past 10 games versus the East's "Big 3" Iowa is

5-5 versus Michigan

3-7 versus Penn State

2-8 versus Ohio State

So over a decade, the only East team Iowa has not been relatively competitive with is Ohio State. Which is the case for pretty much every single other program in the entire Big 10.

Let's do everybody's West darling Wisconsin with the same criteria now:

2-8 versus Michigan

2-8 versus Penn State

1-9 versus Ohio State

So of the two best teams in the West division, Iowa has a 10-20 record against the Big 3 and Wisconsin is at 5-25.

Sorry, Iowa has fared quite well compared to others even against the best East teams.

Over its past 10 games versus the East's "Big 3" Iowa is

5-5 versus Michigan

3-7 versus Penn State

2-8 versus Ohio State

So over a decade, the only East team Iowa has not been relatively competitive with is Ohio State. Which is the case for pretty much every single other program in the entire Big 10.

Let's do everybody's West darling Wisconsin with the same criteria now:

2-8 versus Michigan

2-8 versus Penn State

1-9 versus Ohio State

So of the two best teams in the West division, Iowa has a 10-20 record against the Big 3 and Wisconsin is at 5-25.

Sorry, Iowa has fared quite well compared to others even against the best East teams.

Why did you avoid my question torbs?

I dont care about the record of the last ten games against those opponents. I want to know how many times they have played michigan, ohio state and penn state vs other big ten east teams.

I think everything comes back to Iowa fans fear of the new B1G with no divisions. We all know we are good against below avg teams and can get 8–9 wins a season. We also all know how much better we would be if we made changes in the offensive side of the ball, especially the last 3 seasons.

Now we are coming into the new age of College Football where we need to adapt or die. So far everything points to becoming irrelevant if Kirk doesn’t change our offense. Especially after this year with all that we are losing on defense and STs. We can still have the same philosophy with the complementary football but we need to overhaul everything on offense.

Now we are coming into the new age of College Football where we need to adapt or die. So far everything points to becoming irrelevant if Kirk doesn’t change our offense. Especially after this year with all that we are losing on defense and STs. We can still have the same philosophy with the complementary football but we need to overhaul everything on offense.
Agreed

Reactions: goldmom
Nope. Iowa has avoided michigan, penn state and ohio state more often than not.

I said iowa would be indiana if we were in the east. Torbs countered by saying we had a better record in the east vs the west.

Indiana plays those teams every year and michigan state has been formidable for a lot of that time as well. iowa has dodged those teams quite often.

If torbs didnt want to answer my question, he should not have responded to my question with something i didnt even ask for

I think everything comes back to Iowa fans fear of the new B1G with no divisions. We all know we are good against below avg teams and can get 8–9 wins a season. We also all know how much better we would be if we made changes in the offensive side of the ball, especially the last 3 seasons.

We are actually nearing the end of college football as we knew it. Agents are pushing hard and lawsuits will force players into employee status. Once that happens, the Rubicon is crossed. The amateur student athlete model is gone.

Nope. Iowa has avoided michigan, penn state and ohio state more often than not.

I said iowa would be indiana if we were in the east. Torbs countered by saying we had a better record in the east vs the west.

Indiana plays those teams every year and michigan state has been formidable for a lot of that time as well. iowa has dodged those teams quite often.

If torbs didnt want to answer my question, he should not have responded to my question with something i didnt even ask for
Iowa hasn't dodged anybody. They don't create the conference schedule. Now if we didn't have all this stupid conference expansion, we could have 10 teams and have a round robin schedule, which is what I would prefer.

Why did you avoid my question torbs?

I dont care about the record of the last ten games against those opponents. I want to know how many times they have played michigan, ohio state and penn state vs other big ten east teams.
Because your question isn't particularly relevant - Iowa does not get to set its own conference schedule, so you play who you play.

To me, it is important to look at historical series as a whole, and lately, Iowa has been very competitive with Michigan, fairly competitive with Penn State and mostly non-competitive with Ohio State. Out of all the teams in the Big 10 West - and most of the East, too - Iowa fares better against the "Big 3" than others, including Wisconsin whom many Iowa fans inexplicably seem jealous of.

So, no, I'm not particularly worried about Iowa's competitiveness when divisions go away, other than the absolute glaring need to become better on offense. And as I stated, I believe that will happen as I believe Brian will be gone and Iowa will attempt an offensive overhaul with a new OC beginning next season.

This is what blows my mind. I mean Deacon is literally completing just 37% of his passes and has twice as many turnovers as TDs. It's not like he's some game manager type QB.

It's not like we haven't seen Labas in action. He looked ok and certainly better than anything Hill has done in his only start in the bowl game. I truly would love to know what Kirk is thinking. Literally every team in CFB has a better QB than we do.

Did Labas steal something from Kirk? I mean what is the real scoop here, @torbee ? Can you get someone on your podcast that might have some insight?

This is what blows my mind. I mean Deacon is literally completing just 37% of his passes and has twice as many turnovers as TDs. It's not like he's some game manager type QB.

It's not like we haven't seen Labas in action. He looked ok and certainly better than anything Hill has done in his only start in the bowl game. I truly would love to know what Kirk is thinking. Literally every team in CFB has a better QB than we do.

Did Labas steal something from Kirk? I mean what is the real scoop here, @torbee ? Can you get someone on your podcast that might have some insight?
I hate to bash a player, but for a big dude, he is kind of fragile. He can't hold onto the ball, he has no mobility and he's inaccurate.

I just fail to see any possible way Joe Labas could be worse. Maybe he's as bad -- but when you are THIS bad, does that even freaking matter? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Because your question isn't particularly relevant - Iowa does not get to set its own conference schedule, so you play who you play.

To me, it is important to look at historical series as a whole, and lately, Iowa has been very competitive with Michigan, fairly competitive with Penn State and mostly non-competitive with Ohio State. Out of all the teams in the Big 10 West - and most of the East, too - Iowa fares better against the "Big 3" than others, including Wisconsin whom many Iowa fans inexplicably seem jealous of.

So, no, I'm not particularly worried about Iowa's competitiveness when divisions go away, other than the absolute glaring need to become better on offense. And as I stated, I believe that will happen as I believe Brian will be gone and Iowa will attempt an offensive overhaul with a new OC beginning next season.
Here is the record since 2014 since when Legends and Leaders went bye bye.

I took results against big east teams from here

Indiana (w)
Maryland (l)

Maryland (w)
Indiana (w)
Mich state (B1GCG) -(L)

Rutgers (w)
Michigan (w)
Penn state (l)

Penn state (l)
Michigan state (L)
Ohio state (w)

Indiana (w)
Maryland (w)
Penn state (l)

Rutgers (w)
Penn state (l)
Michigan (l)

Michigan state (w)
Penn state (w)

Indiana (w)
Maryland (w)
Penn state (w)
Mich (B1GCG) (l)

Rutgers (w)
Mich (l)
Ohio state (l)

Penn state (l)
Michigan state(w)
Rutgers tbd

If i went through the results correctly they end up like this

indiana: 4 games (4-0)

Penn State: 7 games (2-5)

Ohio State: 2 games (1-1)

Rutgers 4 games (3-0 with one to be played)

Maryland 4 games (3-1)

Michigan state 3 regular season games (2-1) plus Big 10 championship game loss

michigan 3 reg season games (1-2) plus 1 Big ten championsip team loss.

My assertion would be that Iowa would become indiana if they were in the east. If you want to assert that iowa would be successful in the Big Ten east because of thier record that contained a lot of Ws because of indiana, rutgers and maryland so be it.

I hate to bash a player, but for a big dude, he is kind of fragile. He can't hold onto the ball, he has no mobility and he's inaccurate.

I just fail to see any possible way Joe Labas could be worse. Maybe he's as bad -- but when you are THIS bad, does that even freaking matter? 🤷‍♂️
I mean it's kind of hard to be worse than 37%, right? I'm not sure I've ever heard of a guy starting 4 games in CFB with that low of a completion percentage. I mean, it's kind of amazing in a way. He can't even hit screen passes as he doesn't wait for it to develop. He throws a bunch of risky passes such as the one that somehow Ostrenga ended up grabbing along the sidelines. Like you, I don't want to bash him but not only is he inaccurate but he's a terrible decision maker back there. Ironically, he is playing "backyard" football and just slinging it without regard.

I don't believe KF at all on this issue. I'm really starting to lose faith in him and I hate that. Ugh.

Here is the record since 2014 since when Legends and Leaders went bye bye.

I took results against big east teams from here

Indiana (w)
Maryland (l)

Maryland (w)
Indiana (w)
Mich state (B1GCG) -(L)

Rutgers (w)
Michigan (w)
Penn state (l)

Penn state (l)
Michigan state (L)
Ohio state (w)

Indiana (w)
Maryland (w)
Penn state (l)

Rutgers (w)
Penn state (l)
Michigan (l)

Michigan state (w)
Penn state (w)

Indiana (w)
Maryland (w)
Penn state (w)
Mich (B1GCG) (l)

Rutgers (w)
Mich (l)
Ohio state (l)

Penn state (l)
Michigan state(w)
Rutgers tbd

If i went through the results correctly they end up like this

indiana: 4 games (4-0)

Penn State: 7 games (2-5)

Ohio State: 2 games (1-1)

Rutgers 4 games (3-0 with one to be played)

Maryland 4 games (3-1)

Michigan state 3 regular season games (2-1) plus Big 10 championship game loss

michigan 3 reg season games (1-2) plus 1 Big ten championsip team loss.

My assertion would be that Iowa would become indiana if they were in the east. If you want to assert that iowa would be successful in the Big Ten east because of thier record that contained a lot of Ws because of indiana, rutgers and maryland so be it.
So if I counted up the Ls and Ws correctly, Iowa is 16-12 against the East in that time frame?

What is Indiana's record against the East in the same time frame?

Without looking at even a single game, I can pretty much guarantee it is below .500.

So I guess I don't understand what would make Iowa "be Indiana" when Indiana itself doesn't fare as well against the Big 10 East as Iowa does.

So if I counted up the Ls and Ws correctly, Iowa is 30-12 against the East in that time frame?

What is Indiana's record against the East in the same time frame?

Without looking at even a single game, I can pretty much guarantee it is below .500.

So I guess I don't understand what would make Iowa "be Indiana" when Indiana itself doesn't fare as well against the Big 10 East as Iowa does.
i will let you go through indianas record

They have to play michigan, penn state, ohios state every year. Iowa is 4-8 against those teams in the regular season since east/west divisions started and 0-1 against those three opponents in the B1GCG.

If you want to hang your hat on the bulk of iowas wins coming from indiana, rutgers and maryland so be it.

Edit to add, given a big ten east schedule, i am guessing the ohio state/michigan/penn state trilogy will be good for 2-3 losses most years. Then you are hoping you arent getting caught by michigan state and tripped up by rutgers/maryland or the crossover games from the west.

Last edited:
i will let you go through indianas record

They have to play michigan, penn state, ohios state every year. Iowa is 4-8 against those teams in the regular season since east/west divisions started and 0-1 against those three opponents in the B1GCG.

If you want to hang your hat on the bulk of iowas wins coming from indiana, rutgers and maryland so be it.
Will Iowa not be playing Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland when the format changes away from Divisions?

Does every other team in the Big 10 not also have to play that same gauntlet?

Did Iowa not play in non-division Big 10 games for more than 100 years?

Will Iowa not be playing Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland when the format changes away from Divisions?

Does every other team in the Big 10 not also have to play that same gauntlet?

Did Iowa not play in non-division Big 10 games for more than 100 years?
Of course other teams will have the same gauntlet. If iowa stays the course as they are currently on, i am not sure you will be able to respons “6-1” to any criticism of the program. Of course we will know in the next couple years how it will shake out.

In the meantime continue to embrace the suck, and enjoy the injuries as a built in excuse when Iowangets caught with another 1-2 losses that would be avoidable with even a below average offense

Of course other teams will have the same gauntlet. If iowa stays the course as they are currently on, i am not sure you will be able to respons “6-1” to any criticism of the program. Of course we will know in the next couple years how it will shake out.

In the meantime continue to embrace the suck, and enjoy the injuries as a built in excuse when Iowangets caught with another 1-2 losses that would be avoidable with even a below average offense
I think it's weird you think every season from here on out is destined to be reflective of this season.

As a developmental program, Iowa always has had peaks and valleys. Offensively in particular, it's in an abyss right now.

I expect that to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT