ADVERTISEMENT

It’s the offensive line stupid!

Aethelstan

Rookie
Feb 5, 2003
Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.

Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.
Ok.

Who is responsible for putting a viable OL on the field, D.umb.ass? The ****ing janitor over at Carver??

He's correct. It's been the case for several years now.

How many times have you seen our running back blown up two steps after he gets the ball, or straight up unblocked rushers, sometimes more than one, in on our QB without having to even touch an offensive lineman?

It's broken and our coaching staff hasn't bothered trying to fix it for some insane reason.

Brian Ferentz is such a massive part of the problem and the nepotism makes me want to puke, but he's only 60 or 70 yards a game bad if the offensive line is as inept as it is.

(And of course this all falls squarely on the coaching staff in the end.)

As I posted below, our offense's success is entirely based around the offensive line.

Opponents (some) have figured this out and scheme their defense around blowing up our OL.

Once this is accomplished, BF doesn't have anything else to turn to scheme-wise because of daddy's rules.

One trick pony.

It's hard to argue against the OL being the root cause of ALL of the offensive problems.

Iowa is always at it's best when it can run to open up play action passes. The old days of winning at the line of scrimmage are history. I don't remember the last time the hawks were able to run at will against a P5 team.

Who is responsible for putting a viable OL on the field, D.umb.ass? The ****ing janitor over at Carver??
I am not in any way defending the coaching staff. I am simply stating a fact. You are free to speculate the reasons for the performance of the offensive line. But the bottom line is that it would be simply speculation. In the end, the Buck stops somewhere.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
It would be extremely difficult to determine which lineman was the worst against PSU.

I'd go Richman/Colby/Jones/DeJong/Dunkel.

Richman looked like a turnstile at Menards.
They're really young. Give them time. An oline typically can't be expected to perform at an acceptable level until all 5 of them are at least RS juniors and seniors.

Considering the history of our line play it is baffling the last 3 years has had such poor play. Recruits should have been knocking at the door to play oline for us.

And I don't think the recruits were bad but coaching like it's the olden days isn't working.

i'm still struggling to find words after the O's performance on Sat. Suffice to say this was not a 1-off -- brian has produced sub-75 yard games on a seasonal basis and not just with poor personnel (as believed in 2022). 2023 team including the OL is absolutely good enough talent wise to have put up say 300 yards and 17 points with a run of the mill OC and phil's D.
OL play is horrible but it's not OL talent that's the issue. coaching is definitely the gap.
if brian must stay in IC, make him the OL coach, and select a new oc by throwing a dart on a list with 20 available (not including brian) OCs.
i've been patient with the bf experiment but it's time.

Considering the history of our line play it is baffling the last 3 years has had such poor play. Recruits should have been knocking at the door to play oline for us.

And I don't think the recruits were bad but coaching like it's the olden days isn't working.
I agree. I just saw this vid from the training facility with Kirk's new hand picked S & C hire. I can't believe that this is the best we can do.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
The fact of the matter is the OL is just one factor. It all sucks. We haven't been able to run the ball for years. It was several years ago everyone knew exactly what play we were going to run. We've been almost dead last in the offensive rankings the last 2 years have never been much more than a marginally good offense under Briam. Quit making excuses and just admit this shit show needs to end.

Reactions: littlez
If the offensive line is the problem, then scheme to where the pass timing is quicker. When Don Patterson is telling you it's time to change the scheme or make drastic decisions, it is time. There is only one root problem with this issue, and it's the OC.
We are getting sacked left and right and Brian's still calling play action on Saturday night.

Reactions: littlez
So...how does a HC who supposedly specializes in offensive line play... allow his OL to get so bad? When the thing you're best at...is the worst part of your team...something is seriously wrong.

We have nothing else to constrain the defense. They all now know that if they load up the LOS and either overwhelm or confuse our OL, they have our offense stuffed.

No quick outs. No misdirection. Immobile QB (not his fault).

We have to win the LOS to have any effectiveness on offense. There are a lot of offenses out there that don't rely on this anymore or play in such a manner that it keeps the defenses from being able to jam up the LOS (and stop said offenses by doing only that).

i'm still struggling to find words after the O's performance on Sat. Suffice to say this was not a 1-off -- brian has produced sub-75 yard games on a seasonal basis and not just with poor personnel (as believed in 2022). 2023 team including the OL is absolutely good enough talent wise to have put up say 300 yards and 17 points with a run of the mill OC and phil's D.
OL play is horrible but it's not OL talent that's the issue. coaching is definitely the gap.
if brian must stay in IC, make him the OL coach, and select a new oc by throwing a dart on a list with 20 available (not including brian) OCs.
i've been patient with the bf experiment but it's time.
This isn't exactly correct. Brian has been a horrible OC, but sub 100 games are extremely rare in any program. The Hawks’ 76 total yards Saturday were the second-fewest in Kirk’s 25 seasons. The only other time Iowa totaled under 100 yards was in a loss to Wisconsin in 2017, Brian's first year as OC. In fact, nine of the 17 games since 1999 in which Iowa has failed to gain 200 yards have come with Brian calling the plays.

If only the head coach and OC weren't well known - or at least used to be - for their penchant of taking young men and molding them into NFL-worthy offensive lineman then maybe the OL wouldn't be such the worthless group that its turned in to in the last couple of years ................

wait.gif

Which just makes what is going on with the OL all the more just another big reason as to why I'm ready for change at head coach and every offensive coaching position, aside from the TEs (unless BF is coaching the TEs as well as being OC).

You're correct.

The offensive line being this bad, yet again is an even bigger indictment against Kirk than keeping his son in a job or the scheme they try to run.

Ferentz isn't just a head coach, he's a coach who supposedly specializes in offensive line development.

His entire approach to football is predicated on sound offensive line play.

There is no bigger indicator of the need for this man to retire than his continued failure in the one area where he is supposed to be an expert.

We all recognize the offensive line is “deficient” and has been for the past 2+ years. So has Iowa simply recruited a group of guys who are soft, slow, and lack the smarts to learn? I’m in the camp that doesn’t think so.

The confusion and mental errors are across the board and that points directly to coaching (or the lack thereof).

Reactions: HawkBall23
And yet we told the best OL prospect in the state we were full at OL - and then Levar has to go to the school and apologize to his high school coaches for being the last school to make him in offer in the first place.

I used to trust our OL evaluations but.....

We all recognize the offensive line is “deficient” and has been for the past 2+ years. So has Iowa simply recruited a group of guys who are soft, slow, and lack the smarts to learn? I’m in the camp that doesn’t think so.

The confusion and mental errors are across the board and that points directly to coaching (or the lack thereof).
It's probably talent, development, scheme, and game planning. You can't be this deficient for this long and not have multiple issues, but it all starts with the staff.

The op makes it sound like the line performance isn’t impacted by playcalling or tendencies. They both are a problem. When we are predictable on what looks we run or pass out of or the snap count is not varying enough, it gives the defensive line a lot of advantages regardless of who they’re up against.

I don’t think any average offensive coordinator would coach at iowa without having input on who to replace the offensive line coach with.

But if BF really is capable of much better results with a better line, maybe he should have mentioned it to his boss by now…

Games are won and lost in the trenches. The guys we have on the line looked pretty good coming out or high school and most of them had other P5 offers. I believe the staff is working hard to make the OL better but it appears these guys peaked in high school and just can't improve. It is a tough situation and there are no quick fixes. No one likes it but we will have to live with it for the rest of the season.

If the offensive line is the problem, then scheme to where the pass timing is quicker. When Don Patterson is telling you it's time to change the scheme or make drastic decisions, it is time. There is only one root problem with this issue, and it's the OC.
OK. The offensive line isn't good. So, do you keep calling for the type of plays that pretend the offensive line is good? Stop pretending, Brian, and figure it out.

We are getting sacked left and right and Brian's still calling play action on Saturday night.
What would you have called? Considering how we were blocking, maybe we should have punted in first down?

What would you have called? Considering how we were blocking, maybe we should have punted in first down?

Maybe a tunnel screen for starters?

Any sort of quick hitters/slants to slow the defense down a little bit?

Bottom line is that the offense isn't prepared to do anything different if the OL isn't adequate and they aren't anything close to that right now.

Reactions: nelly02
Last nite during the Steelers game the analyst talked about how they were struggling mightily til midway thru their last game when they junked the zone blocking scheme and went with power blocking. Boom...suddenly they started running the ball effectively and the offense rolled.
C'mon KF bury your pride and try something different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT