ADVERTISEMENT

It’s the offensive line stupid!

Games are won and lost in the trenches. The guys we have on the line looked pretty good coming out or high school and most of them had other P5 offers. I believe the staff is working hard to make the OL better but it appears these guys peaked in high school and just can't improve. It is a tough situation and there are no quick fixes. No one likes it but we will have to live with it for the rest of the season.
I cannot believe that we don’t have as much, or more, OL talent than several dozen teams who have offenses and OLs who are performing better than ours is.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.
Sounds like a coaching problem.

What would you have called? Considering how we were blocking, maybe we should have punted in first down?
Love that question; it's totally irrelevant, and you know so, because as fans you know we have no real answer to the question. Who cares what I would call or what any fan would call. It's not our job. At least, it's not mine. I'm a fan. I know lousy football when I see it, that's all. And I know it needs to be repaired. How to fix it, I don't know. That is up to those who are ostensibly, and hopefully, actually, experienced in the field. If they can't then they need to be replaced until they find someone who can fix it.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Last nite during the Steelers game the analyst talked about how they were struggling mightily til midway thru their last game when they junked the zone blocking scheme and went with power blocking. Boom...suddenly they started running the ball effectively and the offense rolled.
C'mon KF bury your pride and try something different.

Iowa also is running a lot more power gap schemes and pin and pull this year. But any scheme, zone or gap, will not work if the covered offensive lineman cannot win or least get a stalemate against the guy in front of him.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Yes but as a player you have a responsibility to beat the guy in front of you period. That’s your job, do your job. So is this a talent issue? It’s not like these kids haven’t been coached along the way. There are only so many techniques, drills etc… I think everyone on the team, including coaches bear responsibility. Coaches coach players play. Let’s see how they respond to the beat down they took. We’ll know what kind of team this is then for sure.

Last nite during the Steelers game the analyst talked about how they were struggling mightily til midway thru their last game when they junked the zone blocking scheme and went with power blocking. Boom...suddenly they started running the ball effectively and the offense rolled.
C'mon KF bury your pride and try something different.
Any change to the current plan/plays is probably viewed as an admission of a mistake being made.

They'll win their 8/9 games, make a decent bowl, and the big donors will be pleased.

Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
What would you have called? Considering how we were blocking, maybe we should have punted in first down?
It doesn't matter. When you can't run or pass block you are completely fcked.

Offensive line guru Kirk Ferentz has built an offensive line that leaves his team in the predicament of being completely fcked.

Why would we not want to move on from this?

The scheme is indeed awful, but it can work if the team can move the line of scrimmage - which it can’t. We’re just not talented at the LOS on offense whatsoever. The TE’s suck at blocking too, and that compresses everything and makes it worse.

It would be better if we had a QB that could move and make a play so that the DE’s actually get punished for getting upfield too far and in general making them read and react rather than teeing off but one problem at a time.

Surely. Some OC out there sees this as a perfect job. Great defense and special teams, low expectations

We have nothing else to constrain the defense. They all now know that if they load up the LOS and either overwhelm or confuse our OL, they have our offense stuffed.

No quick outs. No misdirection. Immobile QB (not his fault).

We have to win the LOS to have any effectiveness on offense. There are a lot of offenses out there that don't rely on this anymore or play in such a manner that it keeps the defenses from being able to jam up the LOS (and stop said offenses by doing only that).
Immobile QB they had good move the pocket plays in the past now with Cade injured why not try Deacon?

Reactions: rolfey
If they are not letting Cade move the pocket then we are doomed plays take too long for on line to block too long OR check down and or slant routes

And why is Wetjoin not on the field? He is a gamer fast and hard to get down ala another Charlie Jones but much thicker

I would not say they "upgraded" the WR room. The WR room has been purging talent since 2020.
If we're really real about that room - this is going to be a Kansas level rebuild after this season. Copeland to me is every bit if not more the dead man walking on this staff than Brian is.

I would not say they "upgraded" the WR room. The WR room has been purging talent since 2020.
For much of last year the WR room consisted of:

1) A baseball player trying to play football
2) A guy betting against his own team
3) A couple of walkons

So yeah, I think it's much better this year than last year. The problem is that we're stuck with the same staff and a QB that has looked a whole lot like the guy he replaced.

For much of last year the WR room consisted of:

1) A baseball player trying to play football
2) A guy betting against his own team
3) A couple of walkons

So yeah, I think it's much better this year than last year. The problem is that we're stuck with the same staff and a QB that has looked a whole lot like the guy he replaced.
Ha well sure when you put it like that I guess. I'd say it's pretty much a wash, certainly not "much better", and they were all-time bad last year. This year we have a no star recruit that transferred in from an FCS school, and our "big get" the RB playing WR that has one career college reception. Yea...huge upgrade.

Ha well sure when you put it like that I guess. I'd say it's pretty much a wash, certainly not "much better", and they were all-time bad last year. This year we have a no star recruit that transferred in from an FCS school, and our "big get" the RB playing WR that has one career college reception. Yea...huge upgrade.
Anybody who thinks the wide receivers are the biggest problem with the passing game isn't thinking clearly. They're not targeted and when they are the throw is off target. The biggest problems by far are the schemes, coaching and QB play. Army playing a triple option with receivers nobody else wanted have caught twice as many passes. It ain't the receivers chief.

Jesus virtually every o coordinator in the country can scheme to help their oline. Not Brian.

Anybody who thinks the wide receivers are the biggest problem with the passing game isn't thinking clearly. They're not targeted and when they are the throw is off target. The biggest problems by far are the schemes, coaching and QB play. Army playing a triple option with receivers nobody else wanted have caught twice as many passes. It ain't the receivers chief.
You're putting words in my mouth, obviously scheme and coaching are the biggest issues. I was only responding to you saying WRs were an upgrade, because I disagree. We upgraded at QB and basically no where else on offense.

Any change to the current plan/plays is probably viewed as an admission of a mistake being made.

They'll win their 8/9 games, make a decent bowl, and the big donors will be pleased.

Rinse and repeat.
8/9 win seasons are done after this year when the new teams come into the schedule. Time for KF to call it a career.

Reactions: MitchLL
Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.
WR don't get separation, QB has been average at best, OL is incapable of blocking.

Reactions: Capeto
You're putting words in my mouth, obviously scheme and coaching are the biggest issues. I was only responding to you saying WRs were an upgrade, because I disagree. We upgraded at QB and basically no where else on offense.
They are a huge upgrade over last year. QB hasn't been an upgrade so far, no matter how much people don't want to believe that. The numbers bear that out. The next time Cade throws a catchable ball to a wide receiver and they fail to catch it feel free to call me out.

It's hard to argue against the OL being the root cause of ALL of the offensive problems.

Iowa is always at it's best when it can run to open up play action passes. The old days of winning at the line of scrimmage are history. I don't remember the last time the hawks were able to run at will against a P5 team.
Not directing this at you. Just replying regarding root cause.

I believe the root cause is Kirk putting a person in the role of Offensive Coordinator that is not qualified for the position. This inexperience has flowed down into all aspects of the offense. Brian's scheme, playcalling and ability to direct position coaches are all lacking. Iowa has the players to make a more than functional offense, they need a leader on that side of the ball.

Many will say Brian is restricted by Kirk. To an extent that may be true. However, O'Keefe was able to put a more than acceptable offense on the field while under Kirk.

Also, consider the Tight Ends flourish under Brian yet all other positions seem inept. Brian coached Tight Ends for Belichek. It's the one position he understands how to coach. Possibly the only one.

Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong.

They are a huge upgrade over last year. QB hasn't been an upgrade so far, no matter how much people don't want to believe that. The numbers bear that out. The next time Cade throws a catchable ball to a wide receiver and they fail to catch it feel free to call me out.
Lol at huge upgrade! Tough to keep responding when you make statements like that. You like to use numbers to compare QBs, why not to compare WRs as well? Cade is obviously playing hurt. I can't take anyone seriously that thinks Petras is on the same level. You also said QB was a upgrade in your original post I quoted, so I should probably just move on and quit wasting my time here.

Lol at huge upgrade! Tough to keep responding when you make statements like that. You like to use numbers to compare QBs, why not to compare WRs as well? Cade is obviously playing hurt. I can't take anyone seriously that thinks Petras is on the same level. You also said QB was a upgrade in your original post I quoted, so I should probably just move on and quit wasting my time here.
Cade was supposed to be an upgrade, but he has been bad since he arrived at Iowa. He hasn't made good decisions. He's been late with the ball. He's missed open receivers. He's also been injured. His play has been abysmal, nothing like he showed at Michigan. Charlie Jones would see the same level of success in this shitshow if he was still here and people like you would be saying Iowa didn't have any receivers. I agree with you on one thing. We're wasting our time here.

How many holding calls did Iowa have against PSU? I know penalties kill drives but if you aren't getting them at all then maybe you aren't playing on the edge of what is allowed.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
How many holding calls did Iowa have against PSU? I know penalties kill drives but if you aren't getting them at all then maybe you aren't playing on the edge of what is allowed.
I would also add our tackles need to creep back, they are too close to the los.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT