ADVERTISEMENT

It’s the offensive line stupid!

If the offensive line is the problem, then scheme to where the pass timing is quicker. When Don Patterson is telling you it's time to change the scheme or make drastic decisions, it is time. There is only one root problem with this issue, and it's the OC.
Exactly. And it's not new. The line didn't break down overnight. I don't remember the number but Stanley got sacked a ridiculous number of times against Michigan in 2019. That entire game Michigan sent the house after him in passing situations and kept teeing off on him. They dared Iowa to make quick throws to beat them and none ever came. That game showed me that Biff had no intention of attempting to make an adjustments in-game. The seasons since have showed me has had no intention of making adjustments ever.

And on a related note, how often do tight ends block on pass plays? Maybe it's time to end this Tight End U thing and use them more for pass protection instead of making that position just a jumbo wide receiver. The actual receivers have what, 14 catches through 4 games I believe I read? But that's another one of those scratch where it itches thing that's not gonna happen.

Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.
This is as well said as it gets.

Is it the scheme? Is it the QB? Is it the offensive coordinator? Is it the play calls? Are we too predictable? Well the answer to all of those questions may be yes, and if it is, then it is certainly a combination of most, if not all of them. But the one and only factor which is tangible is the play of the offensive line. None of us have access to the playbook, or have knowledge of how it compares to other playbooks. None of us are at practice, or at coaches meetings. And although we can all opine about QB’s missing receivers, or scratch our heads at play selection, the fact is that all of these can be overcome by even adequate offensive line play. No QB can complete a pass from their back. There is no magic play call that would have worked against Penn State. There is no alternative run block scheme that can work when defensive linemen are allowed to penetrate the line of scrimmage. A good offensive line the last couple of years would have more than compensated for any of the alleged deficiencies in QB play, play calls, or scheme. It is really just that simple.
Tell me how you really feel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT