ADVERTISEMENT

It doesn't feel like Iowa is 50-19 in the last 69 games.

HemiHawk

HB All-American
Sep 30, 2001
Anemic offense, lopsided losses to OSU, PSU and Mich, some other frustrating losses, negative press, "the contract stipulation", unhappy fans, the lawsuit/s. A lack of signature wins. Gambling.

IMHO the one and only reason both Ferentzs are still coaching at Iowa is that record, no matter how it happened or what could have been. I'm not saying the U of Iowa is right or wrong in not making any coaching changes. Just calling like I see it.

I get it and I think most of us get it, even the upset fans get it. For the record, I'm as frustrated as the next fan at the lack of offensive execution. I hadn't done the W/L math over this span before and frankly am a little surprised. If you go back to the 38 games before these 69 you find another 26 wins.

Last edited:
I think that's more of a statement on the state of the Big 10 west than anything else. Anytime they play a team with a pulse they are non-competitive, at least for the last 3 years. There are a lot of programs that would love to be mediocre and based on that I've never been big on the "Fire Kirk" train, but seeing what we have as acceptable and not worthy of changes is a serious problem.

My math isn't too good. I carried an extra 1.

mess-up-mundane-detail.gif

I think that's more of a statement on the state of the Big 10 west than anything else. Anytime they play a team with a pulse they are non-competitive, at least for the last 3 years. There are a lot of programs that would love to be mediocre and based on that I've never been big on the "Fire Kirk" train, but seeing what we have as acceptable and not worthy of changes is a serious problem.
It's also a testament to strength of the Iowa defense which hasn't had an off year in a very long time. It's been a very impressive run.

Whats the record against teams that are decent say ranked 15th or higher
I didn't to the specific research on those types of games and didn't try to define what a signature win is. But yes, the record here isn't as good.

What is there record against teams that finished in top 30 during that stretch ?

Don’t care what there were ranked at time they played.

Beating garbage teams shouldn’t impress anybody unless you were a doormat team.
Yet again, I don't know. I do know many coaches in the B10 have been fired because they couldn't beat the same teams Iowa plays year in year out. Many coaches in many conferences have been fired for the same reasons in relation to their conferences.

Last edited:
Anemic offense, lopsided losses to OSU,PSU and Mich, some other frustrating losses, negative press, "the contract stipulation", unhappy fans, the lawsuit/s. A lack of signature wins.

IMHO the one and only reason both Ferentzs are still coaching at Iowa is that record, no matter how it happened or what could have been. I'm not saying the U of Iowa is right or wrong in not making any coaching changes. Just calling like I see it.

I get it and I think most of us get it, even the upset fans get it. For the record, I'm as frustrated as the next fan at the lack of offensive execution. I hadn't done the W/L math over this span before and frankly am a little surprised. If you go back to the 38 games before these 69 you find another 26 wins.

Phil Parker is a helluva coach.

Football as a whole is about wins and KF has won. Yes the offense sucks and not as many marquee wins or even being close to the top programs like Iowa generally does. In the end it doesn't matter who or how just that you win bc thats what KF is paid for.

Even with the record most people are just mad bc of not what we have done but what we could have done with a competent offense. It's like a work/school project 2 people do all the work while that 1 person/ kid doesn't do crap.

Football as a whole is about wins and KF has won. Yes the offense sucks and not as many marquee wins or even being close to the top programs like Iowa generally does. In the end it doesn't matter who or how just that you win bc thats what KF is paid for.

Even with the record most people are just mad bc of not what we have done but what we could have done with a competent offense. It's like a work/school project 2 people do all the work while that 1 person/ kid doesn't do crap.

Well yeah pretty much.

Tommy Boy gets paid $900K to be terrible at his job and never face any repercussions. Literally any other coach Kirk has ever had would face the music being as terrible as Brian is at his job.

But not the father of his grandson. Oh no. Iowa Football takes second fiddle to keeping the Thanksgiving table whole every year.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Don’t care what there were ranked at time they played.
Huge point that always goes unnoticed. The 2021 Penn St game is constantly cited as reason everything is fine, even though that's already 2 seasons old. Well that was the first loss of many for Penn State as they free fell the second half of the season and they were nowhere NEAR being ranked in the end.
I'm pretty sure it's been several seasons since an Iowa win was still a quality win at the end of the year. I'd say USC? And even then that was probably the only one that season as well.

I’m very vocal about wanting Ferentz to move on for all the obvious reasons. But the one thing I will never fault him for is winning against the teams he’s given. Yes, he’s won against a ton of shit teams, but he has very little to no say about the schedule. Ferentz’s saving grace is the pretty impressive win percentage. No small feat at Iowa.

I’m very vocal about wanting Ferentz to move on for all the obvious reasons. But the one thing I will never fault him for is winning against the teams he’s given. Yes, he’s won against a ton of shit teams, but he has very little to no say about the schedule. Ferentz’s saving grace is the pretty impressive win percentage. No small feat at Iowa.
Kirk could get a big time non conference game if he wanted. He doesn’t.

ISU is a b.s. excuse considering the TV money rolling in.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999

Why I said very little influence. Sure he could probably end the ISU series, but it wouldn’t be an easy task for him.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Why I said very little influence. Sure he could probably end the ISU series, but it wouldn’t be an easy task for him.
Doesn’t need to end it. Money isn’t an issue so they don’t need to end ISU series. They have three non conference games.

Super. So then do that for every other freakin team in the P5 and get back to us. These conversations are utterly ridiculous. Again one of was it 6 teams to win at least 8 games every year the last six on P5? Guess what a lot of those other 59 teams don't play schedules any harder then our in a year in and year out basis.

I get it, but how many other programs rack up wins vs top 15 teams year in and year out? Sure, you have the obvious programs like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame etc that do. But who else?

So you would be happy scheduling Alabama or Oklahoma every year? Or whoever fits your definition of big time? If so great I'm all for it, but what would that prove or change about the Iowa football program as a whole over time? Sure it would be more losses more than likely. I guess it could change perception of the program maybe, or maybe recruiting.

The wins are nice, to be sure. Always happy to get one, no matter who the opponent is.

I think what frustrates a lot of fans, is looking back on the past few years and thinking "if only".......
What frustrates the fanbase is being told "you should be satisfied with 8 or 9 wins because it could always be worse".....even though there was a much better possibility of actually winning 2 or 3 more if not for various things that never seem to change/get fixed................year after year after year.

What is your definition of pulse?

Yet again, I don't know. I do know many coaches in the B10 have been fired because they couldn't beat the same teams Iowa plays year in year out. Many coaches in many conferences have been fired for the same reasons in relation to their conferences.
Yep, there have been some epically bad head coaches in our division fired over the past decade plus (Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Lovie Smith, Tim Brewster, Danny Hope, Darrell Hazel, Mike Riley, Scott Flopp). And as you kind of allude to, not one of them that was fired is a head football coach anywhere today. Lots of horrific coaches in the West. I do wonder what Jerry Kill might have been able to accomplish, however, had fate been kinder to him.

Reactions: redghost1974
MDT of us that aren’t mad sl
Anemic offense, lopsided losses to OSU,PSU and Mich, some other frustrating losses, negative press, "the contract stipulation", unhappy fans, the lawsuit/s. A lack of signature wins.

Most of us that aren’t mad all the time already knew this. We have a good team and mostly good coaches. Offense aside and our OL recruiting has got downhill. But I’m ok with our team. In fact so are a lot of us.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Yep, there have been some epically bad head coaches in our division fired over the past decade plus (Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Lovie Smith, Tim Brewster, Danny Hope, Darrell Hazel, Mike Riley, Scott Flopp). And as you kind of allude to, not one of them that was fired is a head football coach anywhere today. Lots of horrific coaches in the West. I do wonder what Jerry Kill might have been able to accomplish, however, had fate been kinder to him.

Funniest thing about that is, at onetime we had fans every single year predicting Zook, Brewster, Fat Charlie, Mangino, etc, etc, etc….we’re going to chase KF off. Some of us have been here a long time and listened to a lot of bitching and faulty predictions.

😊

Reactions: RLMHAWK and hawkcub
It’s impre
Could very well be, I haven't done that research. However, many other coaches over the years in the B10 have been fired for not winning enough against the same teams Iowa plays .

It’s impressive and you are correct. Quite frankly if it weren’t for that record we wouldn’t have these same prissy fans. Think about it….take away 15 wins, then 10-5 sounds nice. They are spoiled. They are also disingenuous and dishonest with themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT