ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Nunge a year later

Your wasting your time as well as I am, trying to convince most posters on here that this years team will not take a step back solely on the premise that Iowa lost Cook, Moss, Dailey, and Baer. Posters on here are intent to give no credence to the returning players improving or the newcomers good enough to hold their own jock strap up. So be it.
The season will be here soon enough, it won't be long before the truth unfolds.
Is this still about replacing Cook’s ability to draw fouls?

I think they will play more as a team this year. There offense should be a lot harder to figure out. Defensively they should be a lot quicker.

Reactions: owenhawk
Wasn't there some publication that stated Nunge will be the 4th best PF in the B1G this year?

Nunge will be a total stud and possible all conference both his Jr and Sr years. He has all of the tools from this layman's perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Great here goes another of the endless narratives many of which never materialize except at practice.

Our main bigs...Nunge, Kriener and Garza can all shoot pretty well from the outside. Likey.

I could CARE LESS if Jack Nunge ever shoots from the outside. What we need is for him to be a Rim proctecting rebounder, who can outlet a pass.
Or, slam back in an offensive rebound on some opponents head.

Go Hawks

Reactions: jasonrann
I could CARE LESS if Jack Nunge ever shoots from the outside. What we need is for him to be a Rim proctecting rebounder, who can outlet a pass.
Or, slam back in an offensive rebound on some opponents head.

Go Hawks
If you do the math, Nunge averaged more blocks/min played as a frosh than anyone not named Nic Baer in 2018-19. But I disagree about his shooting. That will make a big difference in offensive spacing that Iowa will need with the loss of Cook.

Cook in 3 years averaging 28 minutes a game only had 49 blocks in 93 games. Meanwhile Jack Nunge playing slightly over 15.5 minutes a game in 33 games had 25 blocks playing a position that was never suited to him. Conversely Cook finished with 3 - 3 point field goals out of 21 in 3 years, while Nunge was 19 of 57 his freshmen year. In Cooks freshmen season he averaged less then 2 rebounds a game more then Nunge did in his freshmen year averaging almost 10 minutes a game more then Nunge his freshmen year. Your get the picture don't you. Jack has a lot more upside to his game that Cook ever had. Just as Iowa survived the loss of Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa will survive without Tyler Cook.
Cook was a black hole in Iowa's offensive with hands of stone missing easy short shots that should have been no brainers and for every awe inspiring slam dunks he had, he missed just a many.

Last edited:
Cook in 3 years averaging 28 minutes a game only had 49 blocks in 93 games. Meanwhile Jack Nunge playing slightly over 15.5 minutes a game in 33 games had 25 blocks playing a position that was never suited to him. Conversely Cook finished with 3 - 3 point field goals out of 21 in 3 years, while Nunge was 19 of 57 his freshmen year. In Cooks freshmen season he averaged less then 2 rebounds a game more then Nunge did in his freshmen year averaging almost 10 minutes a game more then Nunge his freshmen year. Your get the picture don't you. Jack has a lot more upside to his game that Cook ever had. Just as Iowa survived the loss of Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa will survive without Tyler Cook.
Cook was a black hole in Iowa's offensive with hands of stone missing easy short shots that should have been no brainers and for every awe inspiring slam dunks he had, he missed just a many.[/QUOTE/]
Cook was a valuable player and a good teammate, but this is a very accurate assessment on the offensive end. Cook was far worse on defense most of the time IMO, often standing and observing. It remains to be seen how Nunge will play as a defender and defensive rebounder, but I expect him to be better. We will see very soon.

Cook was a black hole in Iowa's offensive with hands of stone missing easy short shots that should have been no brainers and for every awe inspiring slam dunks he had, he missed just a many.

Pointing out that Cook was a better rebounder as a freshman than Nunge was as a freshman doesn't really support your argument.

That is very likely due to you not having a functioning brain.
Pretty harsh. True that we don't know how Nunge will perform the next 3 years and his freshman stats don't really tell us a lot, but IMO, it is pretty clear that it won't take a lot to replace Cook's contribution to team success. Besides occasional highlight dunks or blocks, I think Cook's biggest contribution might have been the amount of attention some teams paid to him. Otherwise, I don't believe that Nunge has very big shoes to fill.

Reactions: owenhawk
Pretty harsh. True that we don't know how Nunge will perform the next 3 years and his freshman stats don't really tell us a lot, but IMO, it is pretty clear that it won't take a lot to replace Cook's contribution to team success. Besides occasional highlight dunks or blocks, I think Cook's biggest contribution might have been the amount of attention some teams paid to him. Otherwise, I don't believe that Nunge has very big shoes to fill.

Harsh, but accurate...he is an idiot.

Yeah, Cook's production isn't irreplaceable and I agree the attention teams paid to him will be a void as well as his ability to draw fouls (top 100 in the country at that and at least one game where he drew more than half of the opposing team's fouls for an entire game). The production #s may be off this season as this squad may play more defense, resulting in fewer possessions. So even if they don't equal his sheer # of points/rebounds they may be able to replace his value.

It is hard to compare one player to another because of surrounding factors. Cook never had point guards/forwards who had driving to the basket ability. If Touissant/Ulis/Fredrick bring that driving ability, it would have made Cook much more valuable...but it should help any big man this year.

No reason not to have hope. I have minimal expectations though.
Everything needs to be proved on the court in meaningful game action.

Reactions: perryhawk
I wish there was a side by side picture.....putting on 20 pounds of muscle is a big deal for Jack....but I honestly have a hard time seeing a "big" difference in these recent pictures....not saying I'm right, just don't notice a HUGE difference.

I never realized the size difference between him and Garza. I thought Garza looked tall and built but Jack is taller and more built than I remember when he played. Looking for big things from here his year. Twin Towers.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think this team will share the ball very will shoot a lot of threes. I don’t see Joe T or Connor being great scoring 1’s but they will be able create for others. Outside of Pemsl, I think I would be comfortable with everyone of them taking an open 3. Hopefully our interior defense improves with Pemsl and Nunge returning to the front court. Garza might have a difficult time earning playing time if he isn’t playing good D

I think this team will share the ball very will shoot a lot of threes. I don’t see Joe T or Connor being great scoring 1’s but they will be able create for others. Outside of Pemsl, I think I would be comfortable with everyone of them taking an open 3. Hopefully our interior defense improves with Pemsl and Nunge returning to the front court. Garza might have a difficult time earning playing time if he isn’t playing good D

Agree with most of what you say but Garza is going to play a lot because while he has been poor defensively, he’s one of the beOffensive big men in the Big Ten. Let just hope he’s made strides to be an adequate defender.

Definitely a rebuilding year,... I think we could shock a few teams simply by being able to put two capable guards on the floor at the same time...

Agree with most of what you say but Garza is going to play a lot because while he has been poor defensively, he’s one of the beOffensive big men in the Big Ten. Let just hope he’s made strides to be an adequate defender.
This.
Garza is such an important weapon offensively that they cannot afford for him to sit.
Defensively he's a liability, but not for lack of effort. There are plenty of examples of big, slow space eaters figuring out how to play to their strengths. If he can just become a slightly below average defender for his position it would make a significant difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT