ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Nunge

'Nunge literally and figuratively towered above the Pioneers. A 6-foot-11 forward who signed with the University of Iowa, Nunge was 10-for-15 from the field in scoring 20 points, which included five dunks. He also had 11 rebounds and eight assists.

“He was just great,” said Mills, who contributed 15 points. “He has great eyes. He finds the open man. It’s great playing with him. He’s so much stronger, even than last year.”'

Read an article that when most teams were scouting him he was measured at 6'9". Sounds like he grew another inch or two since then.

Watching Nunge I would say he is trending in the direction of Frank Kaminsky and not Kyle Meyer. Not saying that he will be Kaminsky but just saying I think he has more to his game that resembles Kaminsky.

What level of ball is Nunge's high school? Curious what his competition has been.

What level of ball is Nunge's high school? Curious what his competition has been.
From the article, the Evansville Knights are in the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference. This is in southwest Indiana.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Indiana_Athletic_Conference
From what I've been able to gather, the Evansville Knights are apparently in the top class of Indiana basketball: 4A. Football there has 6 classes. According to one poll, they are ranked #11 and honourable mention in the other (this is in the article).

'Nunge literally and figuratively towered above the Pioneers. A 6-foot-11 forward who signed with the University of Iowa, Nunge was 10-for-15 from the field in scoring 20 points, which included five dunks. He also had 11 rebounds and eight assists.

“He was just great,” said Mills, who contributed 15 points. “He has great eyes. He finds the open man. It’s great playing with him. He’s so much stronger, even than last year.”'

Wow....this is some impressive data about Jack. Thanks for posting. 6'11' inches tall is what it is and taller/bigger than what I thought Jack's size was too. Looks like he's got some muscle on that reach pic too.

10-15 from the field, 20 points, 5 dunks, 11 rebounds and 8 assists ....the only thing they didn't mention, Jack also cooked the popcorn in the concession stand at halftime...geesh, that's a tremendous stat line playing HS ball in a crazed BB state like Indiana. Well done Jack and really looking forward to hearing more about his HS team this year cause it sounds like it's a great team......and they play DEFENSE. :)

Agree that this is a really promising class. If we could only add a top PG...

How's our offense this year? We're really missing that "traditional" point guard. If we had one our defense would be way better. :)

I like this point so much, I think I'll make it again!!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
He is basically Larry Bird and Garza is Kevin McHale. So they should be way better next year.

While that was obviously tongue in cheek, it's not a bad comparison. Nunge to me is going to be a relatively long and athletic (for college) player who is one of the best shooters in Indiana. More athletic than Bird but obviously not as good in other areas.

Garza is the more athletically limited player who has a really nifty set of skills allowing him to score against more athletic defenders.

Both are high IQ type players who will be more limited on defense (strength for Nunge; agility for Garza) than offense. Nunge I think will be similar to Uthoff in the blocked shots area, however, and Garza will be the stronger, always in good position player like Woodbury was.

While that was obviously tongue in cheek, it's not a bad comparison. Nunge to me is going to be a relatively long and athletic (for college) player who is one of the best shooters in Indiana. More athletic than Bird but obviously not as good in other areas.

Garza is the more athletically limited player who has a really nifty set of skills allowing him to score against more athletic defenders.

Both are high IQ type players who will be more limited on defense (strength for Nunge; agility for Garza) than offense. Nunge I think will be similar to Uthoff in the blocked shots area, however, and Garza will be the stronger, always in good position player like Woodbury was.

Theres never a good time to seriously compare anyone to Larry Bird.

Nunge actually minds me of the guy everyone wanted to compare Aaron White to, Keith VanHorn.

Theres never a good time to seriously compare anyone to Larry Bird.

Nunge actually minds me of the guy everyone wanted to compare Aaron White to, Keith VanHorn.

LOL Keith Van Horn.

AKA the guy that every white forward with moderate shooting skills will be compared to forevermore, in perpetuity.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Van Horne clearly a more accurate comparison. Unfortunately none of the Millennials know who that is :). But, yes, he's the benchmark for white college stretch 4's not in the NBA hall of fame, lol.

How's our offense this year? We're really missing that "traditional" point guard. If we had one our defense would be way better. :)

I like this point so much, I think I'll make it again!!

Not sure if you are agreeing or not. We need a top PG on defense (i.e. on-ball defender) even more than on offense. We have some shooters and some guys who can post up, but we don't really have a distributor or a guy who can consistently create his own shot. Get someone who can do all of that to go with our first-year and incoming players, and this could become a team could win a lot of games.

Not sure if you are agreeing or not. We need a top PG on defense (i.e. on-ball defender) even more than on offense. We have some shooters and some guys who can post up, but we don't really have a distributor or a guy who can consistently create his own shot. Get someone who can do all of that to go with our first-year and incoming players, and this could become a team could win a lot of games.

We need a guard like Washpun was for UNI. Athletic, can get to rim, can defend. Fran ought to sign a project like Washpun was, since he doesn't seem to be able to close the deal on the highly rated smaller guards he's gone after.

Reactions: Mattski

Any guard that can defend. Which makes the (people hate the term) all the more logical. A point guard, a combo, a shooting guard, even a wing. Anyone that can defend outside and be a stopper. So, I am agreeing, and I'm not. The need for a traditional point guard is becoming less and less, what, shall I say, so obvious (Tongue in cheek)? Our offense is going to be fine. But yes, like across the board, we need defenders. Let's see who steps up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT