ADVERTISEMENT

James Resar '24 QB Commits

These highlights were posted on YouTube today.

The kid has some wheels and he runs to his left and throws accurately. Weird, I know. ;)

His team is 5-0 so far on the season.

Watch here:

Don't give me hope...any videos or highlights of a QB actually extending a play or running for a first down makes me jealous! That said, do yourself a favor and watch the Houston v. Memphis highlights from last weekend, unbelievable comeback and set of circumstances for Houston to win, QB was cash $$$ in last 5 minutes...

Reactions: Franisdaman
And you and I and most on here have been waiting for Labas to get his chance. And that’s not going to happen unfortunately.
I fear you may be right. At least not this year. tOSU is the perfect time to bring him out. Zero expectations and a lot of QB education, albeit the hard way. But, I fear we will see nothing but the Statue.

But, on a happy note for the fans that will outlive me: Resar is really fast.

I fear you may be right. At least not this year. tOSU is the perfect time to bring him out. Zero expectations and a lot of QB education, albeit the hard way. But, I fear we will see nothing but the Statue.

But, on a happy note for the fans that will outlive me: Resar is really fast.
I disagree. tOSU would be the worst time to baptize Labas. It could ruin his career mentally if not physically.

Yeah at this point if Kirk makes a change and throws some QB to the wolves in The Shoe…I’m going to be pretty ticked…let Spencer take the heat at this point…at least he’s got practice taking sacks…

KF has become a bitter old man and might just be snarky enough to do it.
I could absolutely see Kirk throwing Padilla out there against Ohio State and then the following week be like, "yeah we decided to go back to Spencer as he still gives us the best chance to win".........

The worst thing he could do is have Labas play against OSU.

Reactions: MitchLL
I could absolutely see Kirk throwing Padilla out there against Ohio State and then the following week be like, "yeah we decided to go back to Spencer as he still gives us the best chance to win".........

I've lowered my expectations for this staff considerably.

But KF seems pretty vindictive, so I don't put anything past him.

I disagree. tOSU would be the worst time to baptize Labas. It could ruin his career mentally if not physically.
You're not by any means clearly wrong. It depends on expectations.

Moreover, that might be true with some QBs but if you've every seen Labas interviewed or heard his occasional comments I think you would agree that this is a kid that does not lack self-confidence. I'm a big believer in the theory that players get better by playing.

Also, the only chance of competing with tOSU is absolute surprise. Trick the strong, crush the weak.

Labas is from Ohio. I am positive that he would kill for the chance to play in this game.

Maybe we dont hit the 25pt mark and we have a new coaching staff for 24 that understands defense AND offfense.

Maybe Parker stays on, Our ST coaxh gets promoted to HC and we make strides.

• Haha
Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
Wow, not an exact conversion but that puts him around a 4.45 40.
Sweet baby Jesus let him stay committed and get to campus!!

Beathard wasn’t that fast yet he was able to make some huge plays with his legs. Being able to scramble and pick up a first down on 3rd and 10 occasionally is invaluable and has been sorely lacking in our offense since CJ.

Maybe we dont hit the 25pt mark and we have a new coaching staff for 24 that understands defense AND offfense.

Maybe Parker stays on, Our ST coaxh gets promoted to HC and we make strides.
It would be nice but you know KF will put the excuse rug out from underneath the fans by retaining Brian and you have to know it will happen, somehow, some way.

I remember a claim that KF/BF would not recruit mobile QBs last fall. Used some Resar highlights to rethink that conclusion. Labas, May, Lainz and Resar are all sufficiently good runners to use called QB runs or to get out of trouble. Resar is definitely the fastest of the four.

This guy is a good recruit for Iowa.

That video of his TD run in post #133 certainly looks like it confirms these type of 40 and 100 times. Kid has some wheels.
Resar seems to have good speed. I wonder about the initial acceleration/burst. Clearly the implication is that he has good top-end speed ... it's just how long does it take for him to get up into that gear?

Resar seems to have good speed. I wonder about the initial acceleration/burst. Clearly the implication is that he has good top-end speed ... it's just how long does it take for him to get up into that gear?
There's some video of a pretty quick burst out of the backfield. You make an important point though. QBs don't get much head of steam when it's time to bail out.

I remember a claim that KF/BF would not recruit mobile QBs last fall. Used some Resar highlights to rethink that conclusion. Labas, May, Lainz and Resar are all sufficiently good runners to use called QB runs or to get out of trouble. Resar is definitely the fastest of the four.

Recruit them is one thing, they have recruited them in the past.

Now UTILIZING the mobility they have epically failed at.

The more mobile guys need to win the job ... that's on them.
I suppose this true. We recruited so poorly that nobody could beat out Spencer Petras and nobody developed while there to beat him out either...................seems there's a massive disconnect somewhere in there.

The mobile guys we recruit still need to perform and develop if Kirk will ever trust them enough to not play the cardboard ghost of Spencer Petras at QB in the coming years, assuming McNamara is the entitled heir to the throne.........and wouldn't that be funny if he wasn't.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The more mobile guys need to win the job ... that's on them.
We had "open" competitions until this year. Mobile QBs can be in the room, but remember it takes the average QB 1+ years to learn the oh so complicated juggernaut offense Iowa runs. The staff has always gone with who manages the offense, Drew Tate was 1st QB to really go off script and cause KF a bunch of grey hair.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This has always been a load of crap. Just KF's way of controlling his roster
Not true. Iowa's QBs are making heavy pre-snap decisions. Far more pre-snap responsibility than most college programs.

Post-snap, the offense isn't complicated, nor should it be. That's much the reason for getting in and out of the right plays pre-snap

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk and DewHawk
Pulling for this guy, could be electric. His highlights show some things that look a little risky which ferentz won’t appreciate. But man he’s got some wheels and throws well on the run. Good pocket awareness too

That's pretty darn impressive. In comparison these are the top 100 meter times in Iowa history and for each class.

100 METER DASH
Iowa State Meet Record: 10.5h, Treye Jackson, Newton, 1981 prelims
Iowa All-time Best: 10.1h, Adam Haluska, Carroll, 2002; FAT - 10.53, Isaiah Trousil, West Burlington/Notre Dame, 2017
Class 4A Record: 10.5h, Treye Jackson, Newton, 1981 prelims
Class 3A Record: 10.74, Isaiah Trousil. West Burlington/Notre Dame, 2017
Class 2A Record: 10.58, Tanner Iske, West Liberty, 2018
Class 1A Record: 10.84, Jeff Adam, Cardinal, Eldon, 1996

Reactions: Franisdaman

I wonder how the philosophy / evaluation changed once Ken O' K. was no longer the guy doing the evals and suggesting offers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT