ADVERTISEMENT

James Resar '24 QB Commits

We had "open" competitions until this year. Mobile QBs can be in the room, but remember it takes the average QB 1+ years to learn the oh so complicated juggernaut offense Iowa runs. The staff has always gone with who manages the offense, Drew Tate was 1st QB to really go off script and cause KF a bunch of grey hair.
Tate seemed to have a perfectly good relationship with Kirk. More of the strain there was between Tate and O'Keefe.

Also, the difficultly has less to do with the O and more to do with the responsibility that WAS heaped upon the QB. The QB was essentially getting trained to be like a coach on the field. Thus, the expectation was for the QB to be able to read the D and then identify from that read what was the right play to get into based upon that read. After that, the QB then still needs to make decisions post-snap - determining what looks to exclude and what to focus upon. And, through all that, go through his progressions and be smart about ball-placement.

From what I understand, both Petras and Padilla are/were really bright guys. However, part of the problem with guys like that is that sometimes they worry too much about being perfect all the time. It can lead to the standard paralysis by analysis situation.

To exacerbate things further ... over the past 2 years the blocking has obviously been bad. That makes guys who were probably already suffering from paralysis by analysis ... make them feel "rushed" ... even more a recipe for failure.

Lastly, as a educator, I can tell you that post-covid ... a bunch of kids out of high-school are weaker than they've been in the past ... both due to covid-related psychological stress AND due to the fact that far less was expected of them (in high school). I've seen that negative impact this had made on their academic achievement ... so I it seems reasonable that it could effect (some) athletes too.

Anyhow, to my understanding, some changes have been made to the O in terms of how QBs process things. Supposedly, the changes are supposed to help things get processed easier and faster. That remains to be seen.

Sweet baby Jesus let him stay committed and get to campus!!

Beathard wasn’t that fast yet he was able to make some huge plays with his legs. Being able to scramble and pick up a first down on 3rd and 10 occasionally is invaluable and has been sorely lacking in our offense since CJ.

and wouldn't it be nice for a change to have our speedy QB do things to defenses that so many times happened to our D?

Tate seemed to have a perfectly good relationship with Kirk. More of the strain there was between Tate and O'Keefe.

Also, the difficultly has less to do with the O and more to do with the responsibility that WAS heaped upon the QB. The QB was essentially getting trained to be like a coach on the field. Thus, the expectation was for the QB to be able to read the D and then identify from that read what was the right play to get into based upon that read. After that, the QB then still needs to make decisions post-snap - determining what looks to exclude and what to focus upon. And, through all that, go through his progressions and be smart about ball-placement.

From what I understand, both Petras and Padilla are/were really bright guys. However, part of the problem with guys like that is that sometimes they worry too much about being perfect all the time. It can lead to the standard paralysis by analysis situation.

To exacerbate things further ... over the past 2 years the blocking has obviously been bad. That makes guys who were probably already suffering from paralysis by analysis ... make them feel "rushed" ... even more a recipe for failure.

Lastly, as a educator, I can tell you that post-covid ... a bunch of kids out of high-school are weaker than they've been in the past ... both due to covid-related psychological stress AND due to the fact that far less was expected of them (in high school). I've seen that negative impact this had made on their academic achievement ... so I it seems reasonable that it could effect (some) athletes too.

Anyhow, to my understanding, some changes have been made to the O in terms of how QBs process things. Supposedly, the changes are supposed to help things get processed easier and faster. That remains to be seen.
Oh Tate and KF had a good relationship, just Tate like to color the whole sheet of paper, not just stay inside the lines. Talking to Tate at a local event (years ago) he laughed about the whole LSU win when we asked him about not being conservative on the last play to get within FG range, he said something like "yeah, i tuned out the sidelines those last 10sec".

As far as Covid impacting them, It "could" impact "some" athletes. The vast majority, I would say no (at least that has been my understanding\experience with our son's college team he has been the past few years).

If changes haven't been made to simplify this offense, then there is no reason for either KF nor BF to be around after 2023.

Oh Tate and KF had a good relationship, just Tate like to color the whole sheet of paper, not just stay inside the lines. Talking to Tate at a local event (years ago) he laughed about the whole LSU win when we asked him about not being conservative on the last play to get within FG range, he said something like "yeah, i tuned out the sidelines those last 10sec".

As far as Covid impacting them, It "could" impact "some" athletes. The vast majority, I would say no (at least that has been my understanding\experience with our son's college team he has been the past few years).

If changes haven't been made to simplify this offense, then there is no reason for either KF nor BF to be around after 2023.
Our OC today calls that “back yard” football and isn’t a fan of it.

Reactions: obfuscating

That's the thing ... Tate was the coach on the field. He got the play started before LSU was ready ... and that was able to generate a lapse in coverage. After that ... it was just an issue of Tate being Tate ... the most precise passer in Kirk's tenure. If the Hawks didn't such a bad habit of having the dropsies ... I've always contended that Drew's completion percentage would have surpassed 70%. I'd argue that he was even more of an accurate, precision-passer that Chuck Long ... although he didn't possess Chuck's arm-talent. On the flip side, Chuck was a statue compared to Drew.

Anyhow, if Resar proves to be a good passer ... then I definitely think that his mobility is an asset that the Hawks would be willing to utilize. Of course, for the longevity of the QB, I'd hope that they would simply utilize it rather than feature it.

Drew was a guy that knew what was happening around him.

One of the weird things about the Never Ferentz people (not you Ghost) is they damn KF for not letting QBs have more freedom to get out of plays and then damn him for letting the QBs have too many options to change the plays.

Drew was the generally the perfect QB for the Iowa offense. It might have rubbed against KF's control instincts, but KF was a smart enough coach to give Drew a ton of flexibility...and Drew knew what to do with that freedom without getting to reckless. Ricky sometimes got too reckless, hence all the pick sixes. CJ was the other guy that just instinctively seemed to walk that narrow QB line between taking a calculated risk and a reckless risk.

Watching Cade will be interesting. Michigan is a run first offense so I think he will pick up Iowa's offense without much trouble. He didn't throw many TDs and didn't throw many interceptions. Tells me he knows how to maximize opportunities in a run heavy offense.

Drew was a guy that knew what was happening around him.

One of the weird things about the Never Ferentz people (not you Ghost) is they damn KF for not letting QBs have more freedom to get out of plays and then damn him for letting the QBs have too many options to change the plays.
Of course, I don't think that those folks are accounting for the fact that Iowa usually puts "training wheels" on the QBs initially (while they're learning the ropes) ... and then the ultimately take them away. Thus, that is why young QBs always seem to follow the initial situation you mention ... and then somewhat more mature QBs suffer from the latter problem.

Why don't they just look to the sidelines for the play. WTF do they place that much responsibility on the QB. Seems like most schools have gone to that system. Or would that be too much pressure for BF to handle?

Why don't they just look to the sidelines for the play. WTF do they place that much responsibility on the QB. Seems like most schools have gone to that system. Or would that be too much pressure for BF to handle?
That's been an ongoing discussion point I've had with some fellow posters.

I think that the Hawks want to feature a pretty close approximation to a pro-system. The ultimate point being to prepare guys to be ready for the NFL. However, the caveat of this approach so far is that it doesn't seem to be working so well as it's related to QB development.

Thus, this suggests that the coaches should streamline things more ... perhaps still giving QBs plenty of responsibility/freedom ... however, couching it within a framework that it is easier to manage and learn. I think that is part of the reason why they brought in Budmayr ... to at least move somewhat in that direction.

Hopefully we end up seeing some dividends.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be like Texas and have 3 guys who would likely start at 80-90% of the power 5 programs…
It’s amazing with all that talent how incompetent they are at bringing in a quality HC since Mack brown left. Last decade plus in Big 12 and what their W/L record is with their talent is pathetic. Only school worse at hiring coaches in that time frame is one 4 hours west of Iowa city.

It’s amazing with all that talent how incompetent they are at bringing in a quality HC since Mack brown left. Last decade plus in Big 12 and what their W/L record is with their talent is pathetic. Only school worse at hiring coaches in that time frame is one 4 hours west of Iowa city.
How happy are those ‘backups’?

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

Definitely two different mentalities. Risk Management vs Make a play.

Reactions: obfuscating
Auburn is getting close...Hugh Freeze is a turd...Harsin was a horrific fit/hire...

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
That’s all well and good, but, sure hope he is well-versed on how to take snaps under center and be a game manager #Iowafuture

I hope you're right, but Brian is quoted as saying they don't like backyard football.
SO, will Brian be the OC next year? We've had QB's who could run before, at least to get a first down when needed, and they certainly were allowed to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT