ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Pollard....I call BS!

ISU should be a little careful. Unless they are playing Iowa (their Super Bowl) they come out totally flat. Last year was a prime example. Almost lost to UNI, were down 21 points to Baylor, 28 points to Okie, the Messiah I mean Purdy threw like 3 ints in the 4th quarter to lose at home to Okie St, got bludgeoned by K-St and boat raced by ND. Unless they are playing Iowa Matty does not have his team ready. Oh yeah on that Drake game 2 years ago when he yanked Purdy.... what a joke.

Louisiana is in no way comparable to UNI . They went 10-3 last year and won a bowl game, and gave Mississippi State all they could handle along the way. They return one of the best QB's in the country and a nearly 1200 yard rusher...they are a good football team. So yes, this game should...and does...scare the crap out of any ISU fan. It would scare the heck out of any P5 team playing these guys. However the game goes...its a football game. Which is always better than not a football game.

So that's 20%. But yes the ICU units in Iowa are "overrun". But if we don't make a big deal out of this, we are the ones who don't like science and "facts".

They want you to believe at any moment a tidal wave will hit and there will be people dying on the streets because they can't get a hospital bed.

Mesa - I totally agree they are a good team. And that was kind of my point. ISU seems to get off to slow starts in games. So they should be careful of this game. I would think it should be good game. And yes it does suck Iowa is not playing. Good luck to the Clones this year.

Remember when bandgate was the big deal. That will be so far gone from memory when we see each other again in 2021.

I see so you don't care about the millions who have died from flu over the past decades. That is goddamn heartless.

giphy.gif

Mesa - I totally agree they are a good team. And that was kind of my point. ISU seems to get off to slow starts in games. So they should be careful of this game. I would think it should be good game. And yes it does suck Iowa is not playing. Good luck to the Clones this year.

Thx...and this game scares the hell out of me as you are spot on about ISU's slow starts.

Dude, Your misreading my intent. Here you go, straight from MGMC medical staff->

A statement from Dr. Barry a physician at MGMC:

I am a hospitalist physician at Mary Greeley, and I cover the ICU. We have 13 beds in our ICU. I do not know how many ICU ventilators the hospital owns. I believe it is 7, but regardless of the number, the hospital has a contract to rent additional ventilators if they are needed. Within the last couple of weeks, the hospital has used all of its ventilators at times. It is very unusual to need that many ventilators, and the high occupancy and severity of illness in the ICU has been a significant burden on staff.

For the past 6-8 weeks, Mary Greeley has hospitalized ~8-12 SARS-CoV-2 patients per day. On any given day, about half are in the ICU, half are on the floor.

More concerning is that within the last couple of weeks, major medical centers in Sioux Falls, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Davenport, have been temporarily on ICU diversion. This means that they could not accept ICU transfers from surrounding communities. Waterloo has been on diversion for general medical patients and ICU patients, and they have temporarily halted elective medical procedures (again). I don’t believe the University of Iowa has been on ICU diversion, but they have been holding medical admissions in their ER for 3 days. UIHC is always busy, but this is unheard of. All of these numbers are certainly unexpected for August in Iowa.

You should know that the state is reporting surge capacity beds and ventilators when they report availability/capacity. Mary Greeley has the ability to convert general medical beds into ICU beds, and to scavenge ventilators from the OR, but we would be in a bind to find staff to care for these patients. Critical access hospitals could also create ICU beds, but no one would recommend ICU care in that setting.

I don’t believe any of the information I shared is privileged. The information I shared about other hospital systems is information that is being shared on Iowa clinician social media groups. I share it because the anti-science, conspiracy theory, misinformation really seems to be ramping up this week. The state of Iowa is currently in a very bad position with the virus.

Pretty hilarious no one replied to this once you backed up your statement with a source. 5 people call you a moron and then no one replies when you cite your source.

Pretty hilarious no one replied to this once you backed up your statement with a source. 5 people call you a moron and then no one replies when you cite your source.

Was there a link because I google and that guy exists but I don't see where he made any public statements like that.

I also know some who work in hospitals in eastern Iowa and they were not on ICU diversion recently.

Reactions: JJ13579
Mesa - I do think ISU is really good this year. And Purdy, Hall and Kolar are all the real deal (among others). If ISU plays disciplined I think it could be a special (albeit weird) season. And I do feel bad (to a certain degree!) for ISU in terms of this year. As Iowa wrestling is my favorite losing last year and potentially this year for NCAA championships and basketball probably preseason top 10 plus football it sucks all the way around regardless of school affiliation.

Reactions: SPECTRE
ISU has started slowly under Campbell regardless of the opponent. Also finished weakly. Been tough as hell in the middle of the season.

LC - I totally agree. They are crazy good in October. I suppose they better be up and going early this year!

it is what it is, and it's pretty clear. This was an active thread and MGMC updated with a few clarifications- fairly minor, but also clear they didn't authorize the physician to comment. The clarifications were things like they have 14 icus, not 13, they haven't scavenged ORs for vents, not all icu patients are covid and covid patients are in the ICU, ED and general care floors, and they have surge plans in place. They soft pedaled the diversion status of other hospitals, but opened with the Doc's take was generally accurate.

In a separate message from MGMC today they indicated all testing slots are 100% full in Ames today and tomorrow- testing locale close on Labor Day.

Not everyone comes to the board with an agenda. Some just share info, and in this case, share things to maybe help someone stay well.

it is what it is, and it's pretty clear. This was an active thread and MGMC updated with a few clarifications- fairly minor, but also clear they didn't authorize the physician to comment. The clarifications were things like they have 14 icus, not 13, they haven't scavenged ORs for vents, not all icu patients are covid and covid patients are in the ICU, ED and general care floors, and they have surge plans in place. They soft pedaled the diversion status of other hospitals, but opened with the Doc's take was generally accurate.

In a separate message from MGMC today they indicated all testing slots are 100% full in Ames today and tomorrow- testing locale close on Labor Day.

Not everyone comes to the board with an agenda. Some just share info, and in this case, share things to maybe help someone stay well.

So where is this guy's public statements? I know people who work in hospitals in eastern Iowa and the ICU bed diversion is BS!

So where is this guy's public statements? I know people who work in hospitals in eastern Iowa and the ICU bed diversion is BS!
i saw the doc's post first on the face book page of the wife of MGMC C-suite executive and then from many I know from Ames. The MGMC clarification post from the same exec's spouse. As I mentioned before - MGMC soft pedaled the diversion at other hospitals. The testing schedule being booked for the next couple of days came straight from a MGMC press release. The full thread can be found on something called Ames People - a community page. I did not see it there as I am not a member of that community...but that is what the exec's spouse and others linked.

Have a good day

Personally, given the inept job Kimmy did regarding the virus, and the fudging and obfuscation of the numbers she released, I would look askance at any "facts" released by her administration.

Personally, given the inept job Kimmy did regarding the virus, and the fudging and obfuscation of the numbers she released, I would look askance at any "facts" released by her administration.

Can tell who you are by reading your little message at the bottom of your posts. You must be one of those fancied academic types. Unless you read Shakespeare you are just an uneducated dufus.

i saw the doc's post first on the face book page of the wife of MGMC C-suite executive and then from many I know from Ames. The MGMC clarification post from the same exec's spouse. As I mentioned before - MGMC soft pedaled the diversion at other hospitals. The testing schedule being booked for the next couple of days came straight from a MGMC press release. The full thread can be found on something called Ames People - a community page. I did not see it there as I am not a member of that community...but that is what the exec's spouse and others linked.

Have a good day

What day was it posted on FB? The hospitals were facing some increased patients due to the storm (injuries, tree cutting injuries, fires, breathing treatments needing power, long-term care patients without power ended up in the hospital, etc). I would guess there may have been some diversion or capacity concerns in mid-August that have since subsided a bit.

Reactions: pmtdc
What day was it posted on FB? The hospitals were facing some increased patients due to the storm (injuries, tree cutting injuries, fires, breathing treatments needing power, long-term care patients without power ended up in the hospital, etc). I would guess there may have been some diversion or capacity concerns in mid-August that have since subsided a bit.
wednesday September 2

In an open letter Pollard warned of the possible need to eliminate sports.

I didn’t realize ISU only offered 6 men’s sports. Getting rid of men’s golf wouldn’t save much. All that leaves is track and field. Assuming wrestling isn’t going to get axed.

I now know 5 people with confirmed cases and the worst side affect is a nagging cough. i realize that many people have died from this but most it is like the common cold. we all need to chill and move on with life!
I personally know 2 that have died and 4 more that are in the hospital. The 2 fatalities and 2 of the hospitalized are/were high risk. The other 2 would not have been considered high risk.

To most people it isn't much.....but even if just a significant number of people get it at once, our hospitals will be overwhelmed...and not all of them will be high risk people.

Pollard will never get rid of cross country and track. He will axe football and basketball first. Remember he is the bear.

Like every year, I am cautiously optimistic about ISU football. I hope they get all 10 games in, but the likelihood of that happening is small. Campbell has got them to a point where anything less than a winning season would be a major disappointment. I'm not sure they are good enough, however, to get to Big 12 title game. Finishing in top half is "probably" realistic, but finishing in bottom half is not out of the question either. Their margin for error is always small. Again, I like to hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst. Cyclone fans are good at this, realistic fans anyway.

Run - if you think JP will ever get rid of cross country and track not a chance. He will axe wrestling before that. He will keep a 7-6 football team, a basketball team that had their worst team in 40 years, and cross country before he keeps wrestling. JP hates wrestling. He tried with Dresser to stay relevant but according to boosters wants the continued failure to justify getting rid of it. Same reason he kept KJ for multiple years when it was a dumpster fire. He wants a reason to axe wrestling. Everyone knows it within the program. That sport is short term to JP.

Like every year, I am cautiously optimistic about ISU football. I hope they get all 10 games in, but the likelihood of that happening is small. Campbell has got them to a point where anything less than a winning season would be a major disappointment. I'm not sure they are good enough, however, to get to Big 12 title game. Finishing in top half is "probably" realistic, but finishing in bottom half is not out of the question either. Their margin for error is always small. Again, I like to hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst. Cyclone fans are good at this, realistic fans anyway.

It will be an interesting year in college football with all the variables associated with C-19 and 2020 in general. It wouldn’t shock me if ISU was playing for the championship in the B12 vs OU or they play at .500 ball or below with a question mark at o line. Good luck and hope you start and finish the entire season to send a message to the B1G leadership in their failure to lead.

Run - if you think JP will ever get rid of cross country and track not a chance. He will axe wrestling before that. He will keep a 7-6 football team, a basketball team that had their worst team in 40 years, and cross country before he keeps wrestling. JP hates wrestling. He tried with Dresser to stay relevant but according to boosters wants the continued failure to justify getting rid of it. Same reason he kept KJ for multiple years when it was a dumpster fire. He wants a reason to axe wrestling. Everyone knows it within the program. That sport is short term to JP.
He isn’t getting rid of football and basketball before track. That’s financially impossible.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Run - I know he isn’t getting rid of football and b-ball. But with JP wrestling isn’t safe and he has made it no secret cross country and track are his true loves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT