ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Horner

Does he get a sniff when Fran decides to hang it up? He should have plenty of head coaching experience at that point, although not at the D1 level, but he's been successful where he's at. Obviously knows the D1 level, so just curious to what peoples thoughts are here?
Would much prefer Gatens.

Gatens will be on the staff when Fran & Iowa finally get to the sweet sixteen, so his résumé will read like no other candidate. ( This year’s chances being as good as any. Without breaking a sweat I can name 5 Hawkeyes who could have break our seasons. ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
What if Barta is gone and the lawyers can’t make it look legal?

It really needs to be somebody with Head Coaching experience with some more experience than Horner, Gatens, or Connor IMO.

Billy Taylor if he's successful over the next few years until Fran retires. He's taken one team to the NCAA tourney.

I'd give this guy a serious look if you're looking at lower division NCAA hoops head coaching experience with Iowa ties: https://bearcatsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/ben-mccollum/1763

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktheworld
Spoiler alert: there is a picture of a nearly naked Doodle near the end.

My hope is Darian DeVries.

Horner needs mid-major HC experience before getting back to Iowa, IMO.
McC isn't leaving for probably seven seasons. That'd make him 70.

I very much prefer hiring within the family because they are invested in the family business. (I mean the larger Hawk family in general). Short list would be, in no particular order, Dean O, Billy Taylor, Jeff Horner and Connor McC. The order could emerge in the next 7 or 8 years.

Don't sneer at Connor. I think he would help recruiting by being a youngish HC. Connor plays his ass off and is already operating as a coach on the floor, and more so than the expression typically means. Connor would probably produce tougher defensive teams than Fran McC, just tougher in general. And he knows basketball.

A few years will add clarity or reveal even more opportunities.

Edit: Forgot to add Matt Gatens to that list. Another really smart basketball mind. We'll see what he does in the next 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:

I very much prefer hiring within the family because they are invested in the family business. (I mean the larger Hawk family in general). Short list would be, in no particular order, Dean O, Billy Taylor, Jeff Horner and Connor McC. The order could emerge in the next 7 or 8 years.

Don't sneer at Connor. I think he would help recruiting by being a youngish HC. Connor plays his ass off and is already operating as a coach on the floor, and more so than the expression typically means. Connor would probably produce tougher defensive teams than Fran McC, just tougher in general. And he knows basketball.

Get the best coach possible. Much can happen between now and whenever Fran might be done. If Fran were leaving after this year, the list you posted would be hugely underwhelming. I'm not sneering at Connor as a coach. He's 24 years old and has never coached anywhere. If I were advising him and he wanted to be a coach, my advice would be to get on a staff somewhere not with his Dad and get exposed to different ideas and ways of doing things.

As you said, a lot can change in 5-7 years.

Yeah, would have to imagine he will be coaching through Jack's college career.

He's 24 years old and has never coached anywhere. If I were advising him and he wanted to be a coach, my advice would be to get on a staff somewhere not with his Dad and get exposed to different ideas and ways of doing things.
That is spot on advice. I anticipate he finishes grad school, maybe as early as this year. He simply couldn't be that far away. As soon as grad school is finished were I Fran I would tell Connor to look for a job with a great defensive program.

Sneering was a poor choice of words and not directed at you personally. Sorry. I think a better word to express my meaning would be "overlook Connor." He could be one of those guys that can become an outstanding coach at an unusually young age, early to mid 30s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT