ADVERTISEMENT

Jesse Vasquez

Chicagohawk2019

All-Conference
Nov 6, 2017
Any mutual interest between Jesse and Iowa? He's the highest rated senior left on the big board and would fill a need weight at 165.

Any mutual interest between Jesse and Iowa? He's the highest rated senior left on the big board and would fill a need weight at 165.

We need a 157 and we need a guy or two at 165/175 because Brands and Kennedy are it for those 2 weights. Assuming it is Brands at 174 we need a guy there soonest. Cam Lucero is coming in projected at 157/165 but is a Sr. in HS next year and not ranked in the top 100 so probably not a kid you can expect to step right into the lineup.

As for Vasquez, typically there is some sort of issue going on for a kid like him to still be on the market but no inside info.

He would slot in fine at 157. Kennedy will probably end up being a career 65.

Kid is a senior who hasn't committed yet so there might be some underlying issues.
The phrase “not college material” comes to mind.

And he’s way too small for 165

Reactions: Gobblin
We need a 157 and we need a guy or two at 165/175 because Brands and Kennedy are it for those 2 weights. Assuming it is Brands at 174 we need a guy there soonest. Cam Lucero is coming in projected at 157/165 but is a Sr. in HS next year and not ranked in the top 100 so probably not a kid you can expect to step right into the lineup.

As for Vasquez, typically there is some sort of issue going on for a kid like him to still be on the market but no inside info.
Don’t forget Reyna. He is gonna be good.

Their was interest at one point. Not sure about now if there is or isn’t now. But he would probably have to be a 57 as Patrick Kennedy is a 65lber or 74 and vise versa with Nelson brands.

Nelson Brands shouldn’t necessarily be part of this conversation. We need the best recruits we can get. Bring in the best and let them sort it out on the mat.

Nelson Brands shouldn’t necessarily be part of this conversation. We need the best recruits we can get. Bring in the best and let them sort it out on the mat.
I agree but after kem leaves Nelson will be part of the convo.

All I have is my gut on this, but I have a feeling Iowa is still pursuing. Vasquez has definitely eluded to the fact that he's interested. I did hear there was something behind his non-committal so far though. Iowa is one to take calculated risks.

I agree with not assuming Brands has the 174 spot. I'm seldom optimistic about a mid-lower-tier recruit developing into a national champ or high AA. But it happens, and he's a good candidate for it, given his progress over the past two years. Unfortunately we won't know for sure until next year, and by then it's hard to recruit someone else at that weight. Which I guess is exactly what you're saying.

Reactions: el dub
I agree with not assuming Brands has the 174 spot. I'm seldom optimistic about a mid-lower-tier recruit developing into a national champ or high AA. But it happens, and he's a good candidate for it, given his progress over the past two years. Unfortunately we won't know for sure until next year, and by then it's hard to recruit someone else at that weight. Which I guess is exactly what you're saying.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it appears that Nelson Brands has 1 shot at the lineup at 174 lbs, 2 years from now when he's a Senior.

That works out to what I envisioned for him when he came in unless we "pennshirted" him for a stretch in Siberia, and that was with some progression in his skills, which I do believe are DI capable.

I think he would be a formidable 174 lber for us in 2 years, no worries there for me.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it appears that Nelson Brands has 1 shot at the lineup at 174 lbs, 2 years from now when he's a Senior.

That works out to what I envisioned for him when he came in unless we "pennshirted" him for a stretch in Siberia, and that was with some progression in his skills, which I do believe are DI capable.

I think he would be a formidable 174 lber for us in 2 years, no worries there for me.

He’s a redshirt frosh and will be a junior in two years if I’m not mistaken.

Brands is a RSFR this year. Kemerer is a 5th year JR (we think). Wouldn't Brands have 2 years at 174? And perhaps if Assad were to RS to next year, he could go as a RSSO at either 174 or 184...

Brands is a RSFR this year. Kemerer is a 5th year JR (we think). Wouldn't Brands have 2 years at 174? And perhaps if Assad were to RS to next year, he could go as a RSSO at either 174 or 184...
You and el dub are probably correct, my bad. For some reason my head told me he's been around longer than that.

So that is actually better in the scenario I had painted, because in this case I think he will be a tough out for 2 years, I really do. He needs some work in certain areas, but it's damn hard to tell exactly what when you see him against foes clearly larger than he is. That additional weight and strength really negates a lot of perfect technique, which I believe we've seen frequently in Nelson's matches. The kid has no fear, and I would love to see that against opponents of the same size.

His contribution MAY not be huge, but I don't think it will be disappointing either. I could envision him in the NCAA Finals before all is said and done. My opinion could change quickly, but it would have to be with more exposure to guys his size to really predict what he is ultimately capable of.

You and el dub are probably correct, my bad. For some reason my head told me he's been around longer than that.

So that is actually better in the scenario I had painted, because in this case I think he will be a tough out for 2 years, I really do. He needs some work in certain areas, but it's damn hard to tell exactly what when you see him against foes clearly larger than he is. That additional weight and strength really negates a lot of perfect technique, which I believe we've seen frequently in Nelson's matches. The kid has no fear, and I would love to see that against opponents of the same size.

His contribution MAY not be huge, but I don't think it will be disappointing either. I could envision him in the NCAA Finals before all is said and done. My opinion could change quickly, but it would have to be with more exposure to guys his size to really predict what he is ultimately capable of.

I agree.

But we’ve thought that in the past and had guys move down to supposedly optimal weights and perform about the same as they did up a weight.

I don’t think we should take anything fro granted. If we can land a blue chip who projects at 174, it would probably be in our best interest moving forward.

Reactions: Gobblin
Yes. This yr lugo is gone. Then next yr. we loss lee, desanto, young, marinelli and kem if he gets another year which he should. With lugo gone plug in either murin or eierman. The the next year Ybarra at 25. 133 Cullan (reminds me of clark) or Teasdale. 41 no idea. 57 Reyna or whoever. 65 pk/Nelson and 74 vice versa. Iowa is ok. Not worried. Still have some recruiting to do. But I like what we have.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Murin will be 141 for 2 more years. Eirman at 149 next year Reyna for a year after that. We need a 49 or 57 for 2 years from now. 65Kennedy for 4 years 74 Brands for 2 years 84 Assad for 3 more years 97 Warner then Glazier Hwt Cass for 3 more years.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I agree.

But we’ve thought that in the past and had guys move down to supposedly optimal weights and perform about the same as they did up a weight.

I don’t think we should take anything fro granted. If we can land a blue chip who projects at 174, it would probably be in our best interest moving forward.
I believe that Nelson has shown more "want to" than other scenarios you're reffering to when guys were forced up a weight and went down as attrition occurred.

Trust me, I have zero problems with Iowa recruiting competition or someone presumably better than Nelson Brands. I'm not related nor own any stock in Nelson Brands Incorporated.

My personal opinion is we have bigger fish to fry in other areas. If Nelson Brands is our "weak link" for 2 years, this Program is in great shape IMO.

I believe that Nelson has shown more "want to" than other scenarios you're reffering to when guys were forced up a weight and went down as attrition occurred.

Trust me, I have zero problems with Iowa recruiting competition or someone presumably better than Nelson Brands. I'm not related nor own any stock in Nelson Brands Incorporated.

My personal opinion is we have bigger fish to fry in other areas. If Nelson Brands is our "weak link" for 2 years, this Program is in great shape IMO.
Agree. Wow. Great post.

Murin will be 141 for 2 more years. Eirman at 149 next year Reyna for a year after that. We need a 49 or 57 for 2 years from now. 65Kennedy for 4 years 74 Brands for 2 years 84 Assad for 3 more years 97 Warner then Glazier Hwt Cass for 3 more years.
I still think eierman finds his way down to 41 and murin to 49.espically since all talks show Yianni going 49

I've also heard Eirman at 141 & Murin @ 149.

Caleb Rathjen, people keep sleeping on him, look at some of his wins the last two summers. He will be right there with anyone in the country.

Dude are you really the guy that got the boot at OSU meet?

Really? Because some moran posted that in another thread?

And because I went along with the joke and replied that I’d flown out from Oregon to get booted from that match? Lol

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Really? Because some moran posted that in another thread?

And because I went along with the joke and replied that I’d flown out from Oregon to get booted from that match? Lol
tenor.gif

What the hell was that game called they used to play in school where someone starts off with passing a sentence to the second person in line. Then each person passes what they heard/remember to the next until it get to the end. Then you take the original and compare it to the end?

That is like our Threads!

In any case, maybe taking a shot at this kid would be worth it? OR maybe not???

What the hell was that game called they used to play in school where someone starts off with passing a sentence to the second person in line. Then each person passes what they heard/remember to the next until it get to the end. Then you take the original and compare it to the end?

That is like our Threads!

In any case, maybe taking a shot at this kid would be worth it? OR maybe not???
The telephone game.

Caleb Rathjen, people keep sleeping on him, look at some of his wins the last two summers. He will be right there with anyone in the country.

Are the HAWKS on this guys lists and do they have a chance to get him? Also what weight is this one sorry I'm behind here lol..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT