ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Jordan (Redux Joe Paterno, Dennis Hastert, Larry Nassar)

Well, wait a minute...are we talking something serious, as initially indicated in the OP for this now, 8 page long thread.

Excerpt from the OP...
"Representative Jim Jordan (Republican U.S. Congress / Ohio) the latest in the catalogue of NCAA officials (former) to be caught in a shameful series of behaviors. This time involving intercollegiate wrestling at Ohio State University. One thing that is so maddening is the unending stream of denials from people whose primary responsibility is the welfare of the student athlete(s) for whom they have supervisory control. Deny, deny, deny! Just once someone should step forward and accept accountability.

Maybe the university president (Graham Spanier, resigned Penn State President) can deny knowledge because he is so far removed from the ‘locker room’. But Jim Jordan was right there with these ‘kids’ when these actions/crimes occurred. And he is a central/fundamental part of the staff responsible for ‘institutional control’ of the wrestling program"

Or are we now theorizing that it was low level locker room talk that no one took very seriously? The word "crimes" was used, I took that to mean something serious happened, not just some guys joshing around, etc.
It is much easier to smear someone when yours words like you put in bold print. As I have said all along. The writers of these articles do not care one iota about the people making claims. They are not hoping to help the "victims". Their only interest is to smear Jim Jordan.

My recollection is that abuse in the Catholic Church was primarily directed towards much younger kids, 10-14 years old. I have already posted a couple of times that I can see how younger kids could be much more easily manipulated into silence, etc.

Here though, we are talking about young adults...I think that is different.

I agree with your point that we are talking about 2 different things here. The more serious stuff - rape, molestation, etc, is one thing. This is not what the tOSU scandal is about.

It does fit with what happened to younger children who were abused (e.g. by Sandusky or Catholic Church) and would likely be more intimidated and not come forward at the time.

The nonviolent, less serious stuff, let's just call it creepy - inappropriate touching (during physical exam), voyeurism, boners in showers, etc., is another problem, and this is what sounds like tOSU's scandal is about. As you say, it's hard to imagine Strauss forcing unwanted sex on a collegiate wrestler.

Jordan's problem is his complete denial of knowing anything and basically calling the accusers liars. His high profile as a leading politician makes it a news story.

I agree with your point that we are talking about 2 different things here. The more serious stuff - rape, molestation, etc, is one thing. This is not what the tOSU scandal is about.

It does fit with what happened to younger children who were abused (e.g. by Sandusky or Catholic Church) and would likely be more intimidated and not come forward at the time.

The nonviolent, less serious stuff, let's just call it creepy - inappropriate touching (during physical exam), voyeurism, boners in showers, etc., is another problem, and this is what sounds like tOSU's scandal is about. As you say, it's hard to imagine Strauss forcing unwanted sex on a collegiate wrestler.

Jordan's problem is his complete denial of knowing anything and basically calling the accusers liars. His high profile as a leading politician makes it a news story.

I agree. However, I’m pretty sure there is at least one student athlete claiming he was manipulated to orgasm by the good doctor.

If you remember, there was also an assistant coach at PSU who found himself in a similar situation during the Sandusky era. I think that guy reported what he witnessed and no action was taken on his provided information.

It would appear Jordan was the only coach on the staff that didn’t notice something creepy was going on. Helickson admits they moved the team’s facilities due to creepers in the showers/sauna and Jordan claims not to have known that.

What a flawed character. Perfect for politics.

Last edited:
Good read, thanks for link. I've been in the "middle ground" camp that this article alludes to--i.e. everyone knew Strauss was doing inappropriate things, but it never rose beyond locker room talk.

That is not only Jordan's graceful out, I think it's the truth.

The fact that Jordan is saying no, the ex-wrestlers (and Hellickson) are liars, is where I jump off the fence. He's being an a-hole now and deserves whatever karma comes his way.

What is scary is the amount of people who would never click on a link by slate and assume “Jim Jordan is a good Christian man and this is anti-conservative bashing”.

That narrative is out there and for too many people the truth won’t matter.

Society is screwed. Eat as much cake as you can.

It would appear Jordan was the only coach on the stafg that didn’t notice something creepy was going on. Helickson admits they moved the teams facilities due to creepers in the showers/sauna and Jordan claims not to have known that.

What a flawed character. Perfect for politics.

What is the connection between the creepers in the shower/sauna area and Strauss?

What is the connection between the creepers in the shower/sauna area and Strauss?

I believe one of the creepers was Strauss. One of the articles I read quoted Hellickson having a discussion with Strauss about him showering with the wrestlers.

from the article: Hellickson says he confronted Strauss about taking showers with the student athletes, and told the doctor he was making the wrestlers nervous. The physician reportedly pointed out to the coach that Hellickson also showered with the team.
"I said, 'Yeah. Not for an hour, doc,' " the former coach says.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk

Strauss wasn’t the only creeper the wrestlers had to deal with on a regular basis.

Apparently everybody on the team and all the coaches with the exception of Jordan knew there were gay dudes ogling the wrestlers in the sauna and showers and openly masterbating. Hellickson reportedly moved the team out of that creepy environment and everyone knew about it except for Jordan.

I believe one of the creepers was Strauss. One of the articles I read quoted Hellickson having a discussion with Strauss about him showering with the wrestlers.

from the article: Hellickson says he confronted Strauss about taking showers with the student athletes, and told the doctor he was making the wrestlers nervous. The physician reportedly pointed out to the coach that Hellickson also showered with the team.
"I said, 'Yeah. Not for an hour, doc,' " the former coach says.

Gotcha. I thought Strauss was the Dr. that was fondling/ogling, etc, and it was others that were watching the sauna, etc.

Sounds like a lot of sickos for one place, geesh.

Strauss wasn’t the only creeper the wrestlers had to deal with on a regular basis.

Apparently everybody on the team and all the coaches with the exception of Jordan knew there were gay dudes ogling the wrestlers in the sauna and showers and openly masterbating. Hellickson reportedly moved the team out of that creepy environment and everyone knew about it except for Jordan.

I can see where it may be borderline to report someone, or not, who you think may be watching you...but how in the he** do you not do anything about someone that you can see is stroking themselves, etc, while looking at a naked you?????

I tried to search for corroboration of this part of the story, but only found opinion pieces...and not from Jordan supporters. Is there a link to a real story on this aspect?

Good read, thanks for link. I've been in the "middle ground" camp that this article alludes to--i.e. everyone knew Strauss was doing inappropriate things, but it never rose beyond locker room talk.

That is not only Jordan's graceful out, I think it's the truth.

The fact that Jordan is saying no, the ex-wrestlers (and Hellickson) are liars, is where I jump off the fence. He's being an a-hole now and deserves whatever karma comes his way.
Gotta agree. Did he do something illegal? I still doubt it. But either he lied or the ex-wrestlers are lying. I put my faith in the ex-wrestlers. It was particularly sad to hear him trash some of the others. Must have an ego the size of Tru**.

All he had to do is tell a "careful" version of the truth, and most folks would have let him off the hook. But now he gets whatever comes including no chance for Speaker.

I can see where it may be borderline to report someone, or not, who you think may be watching you...but how in the he** do you not do anything about someone that you can see is stroking themselves, etc, while looking at a naked you?????

I tried to search for corroboration of this part of the story, but only found opinion pieces...and not from Jordan supporters. Is there a link to a real story on this aspect?

Here’s a link that might have more information on the creepers in question.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-harassment-ohio-state-wrestling-699192

Political hit job. Hard to believe college aged men couldn’t stand up for themselves. My high school team wouldn’t have had a problem taking care of the issue.

From the article:

Strauss allegedly preyed on male students during physicals, groping them to the point of making them ejaculate, according to one nurse who witnessed it and recounted the story in a video produced by alleged victims and obtained by POLITICO.

What?!?!?......So, allegedly, college-aged men were forcibly fondled during routine physicals, against their will, to the point of ejaculation? With a nurse in the room? I don't even know where to start with this tidbit...... I'd like to interview the "nurse" and the "victims".

Also, I take offense to the use of the term "Cesspool" by Politico in the headline......

Reactions: el dub
From the article:

Strauss allegedly preyed on male students during physicals, groping them to the point of making them ejaculate, according to one nurse who witnessed it and recounted the story in a video produced by alleged victims and obtained by POLITICO.

What?!?!?......So, allegedly, college-aged men were forcibly fondled during routine physicals, against their will, to the point of ejaculation? With a nurse in the room? I don't even know where to start with this tidbit...... I'd like to interview the "nurse" and the "victims".

Also, I take offense to the use of the term "Cesspool" by Politico in the headline......

So, yeah.... Now the doctors staff is apparently lying too.

I find it amazing what some people in power get away with.

The creeper doctor working with the women’s gymnastics team was including ungloved digital vaginal exams for sprains, pains and contusions for YEARS.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk
LOL How many victims, coaches and medical personnel stepping up are going to be needed to change your vote?

I'm talking specifically about a college-aged man being fondled to the point of ejaculation, against his will, with a nurse in the room, during a routine physical.

Think about that for a minute. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But, don't you at least have some questions you would like to ask the athlete and the nurse before concluding that it's true?

If you buy that hook line and sinker without at least pausing for a minute, maybe you're simply more accepting of any allegation anyone makes at any time. Again, maybe it's true. Maybe it's not.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
No, not during that era and not usually today. It is diagnosed by putting a q-tip in the penile urethra and taking a culture and sensitivity to antibiotics is tested-- 48 hours typically. initial stream urinalysis can be used sometimes to look for the genetic material of the bacteria if the lab test is available but it is less reliable and culture will need to be done if suspected.

Lab tests are ordered AFTER physical examination. Physical exam is done less today for the reasons on this thread. It is done more often when lab options are less available (70s 80s and 90s). Red irritated urethra meatus (opening) with purulent (pus) discharge is a common sign.

Waiting for lab work results can mean loss of joint or even death. (10% mortality for septic arthritis). Any good doctor would know the 70s and 80s college sexual activity and high incidence of STD and check genitalia for a single painful swollen joint. Kids lie to their doctors and parents about their sexual activity. Creepy? Not if you are a doctor.

Fingering the vaginas of little girls for a muscle sprain is not what I am talking about. Looking at a grown mans genitalia is a part of a physical exam and failure to do so could be dangerous in some instances.

I dont know what happened. I really dont have an opinion about it. I just get annoyed listening to knuckeheads second guess a trained professional.

But hey, everyone else has an opinion---- lets go to facebook/twitter/media and get the real truth!!! NOT.
Having been a trained professional during the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, I can state that no physician I ever heard of checked kids penis with an ankle injury. A septic joint is a serious problem and is suspected when someone has a hot tender joint usually with no history of injury. The diagnosis is made by asperating the joint and immediately beginning antibiotics without waiting for culture results. I doubt that any orthopedic ever checked a penis when presented with a hot joint.

I'm talking specifically about a college-aged man being fondled to the point of ejaculation, against his will, with a nurse in the room, during a routine physical.

Think about that for a minute. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But, don't you at least have some questions you would like to ask the athlete and the nurse before concluding that it's true?

If you buy that hook line and sinker without at least pausing for a minute, maybe you're simply more accepting of any allegation anyone makes at any time. Again, maybe it's true. Maybe it's not.

I’m not buying anything hook line and sinker. On the other hand, you are seemingly doubting those who even side with Jordan but admit that EVERYONE in the program knew the proclivities of the good doctor even if not believing it reached the level of abuse.

I find it interesting that it’s easier for you to think a half a dozen wrestlers, a nurse and various colleagues of Jordan are lying about what was public knowledge and you are instead taking the word of an individual who is pleading TOTAL ignorance.

I’m not buying anything hook line and sinker. On the other hand, you are seemingly doubting those who even side with Jordan but admit that EVERYONE in the program knew the proclivities of the good doctor even if not believing it reached the level of abuse.

I find it interesting that it’s easier for you to think a half a dozen wrestlers, a nurse and various colleagues of Jordan are lying about what was public knowledge and you are instead taking the word of an individual who is pleading TOTAL ignorance.

I honestly am not taking anyone's word. Not Jordan, not every accuser. I know one thing for sure. The doctor was a sick pig.

From the article:

You know gay men can also be molested? And that gay men wrestle. Right?

Many, if not most, victims hide their trauma, stuff it down deep inside, for fear that they will be diminished beyond their already humiliating situation. I have done some counseling.
Question: If most victims hide their trauma, stuff it down deep inside, how was this alleged sexual abuse so widely known? How could this deep down inside hidden trauma be regularly joked about among wrestlers?

Do you understand why so many sense something nefarious? Im not questioning your expertise but the representations of the behavior of the wrestlers back then contradicts your profile of a victim

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
From the article:

An adult sitting there and letting a dude fondle them until they get off? Not buying victim on that.

You know woman and men can get off even while being raped, correct? It's a biological response.

Are you now saying that Strauss raped this athlete? The biological response that you speak of would still presumably take several minutes to manifest, would it not?

Does it seem reasonable to you that a Dr. would manipulate a man to orgasm, in front of a nurse apparently, and then it isn't reported to anyone...let alone, stopped prior to orgasm?

Are you now saying that Strauss raped this athlete? The biological response that you speak of would still presumably take several minutes to manifest, would it not?

Does it seem reasonable to you that a Dr. would manipulate a man to orgasm, in front of a nurse apparently, and then it isn't reported to anyone...let alone, stopped prior to orgasm?

None of this is normal.

And I really hope you don’t have to find out the hard way by having one of your loved ones groped/raped /assaulted and then treated like they are guilty of lying due to the nature of the accusations and power of perp.

There are some absolute psychos in this thread. Blow it up, keep your political opinions and victim shaming on Facebook and talk about wrestling. You don't have to immediately believe the allegations but making excuses and victim shaming is exactly why this stuff happens.

Yes, that does seem hard to believe. But it also seems hard to believe that a distinguished head wrestling coach (Russ Hellickson) would complain to his AD about the Dr. and other creepers and the response from administrators was simply to ignore it for years and then finally build them a new, more private locker room and not to address the real issue. But this is apparently what happened per Hellckson and then AD Andy Geiger

Russ Hellickson, the wrestling coach who came to Ohio State in the mid-1980s, says he often caught men having sex in the team’s practice room and a nearby stairwell. His wrestlers complained about the men’s behavior, Hellickson said.

“It became a real problem because it affected the mental state of a lot of our wrestlers,” he said on a video distributed by one of his former team members. “There were times when the athletes themselves would confront people.”

Hellickson, who coached at Ohio State from 1986-2006, said he had numerous conversations with an official in charge of campus recreation and other university administrators. But, he said, nothing changed for years until the team moved to a new training facility near the end of his tenure.

“All of my administrators recognized that it was an issue for me,” he said.

Andy Geiger said he does recall some concerns about voyeurism in the showers at the university's Larkins Hall but nothing specifically involving the doctor. The 79-year-old Geiger told The Associated Press in a phone interview Monday he doesn't remember being told about Strauss' alleged abuse but it could have happened. Geiger says he doesn't remember Strauss well.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT