ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Buffet has died

Man- this one is hard. A lot of good memories with his music and at his shows over the years.

Rest easy Jimmy. Enjoy that one Particular Harbor.

I may turn the tailgate into a Buffett tailgate today. Will always remember Podolak up on stage with Buffett at a Des Moines show.

Last edited by a moderator:
He and Ed Podalak, who celebrated a birthday yesterday, were buddies.
Ed doesn’t like to party, does he?

6a00e553e551d18834010536bfe248970c-pi

A very interesting career, one that most any successful act would be envious of.

He was the very last musician my father was interested in. My sister had bought "You Had To Be There" and one day at our cabin she played it - he heard "God's Own Drunk" once, and that was it.

He wore that album out. Hell, for awhile he switched from his usual diet of a 750 mil bottle of cheap bourbon to margaritas - yet it wound up being actual work to produce margs at that pace...but still.

In 2015 after he died, while going through his stuff I found that album stashed with all his 50's and 60's jazz albums...completely unplayable, with a mish mash of scratches where he'd drop the needle at his favorite song.

Sadly I never went to a concert. In recent years I kept saying we should go to one before its too late...

Lesser known to most people, but he actually wrote several books as well. Can't say I read many books as an adult, but I did read all of them that been released when I was I was in my early 20s. A Pirate Looks at Fifty, his non-fiction book made me want to move to the Caribbean so bad... Now that I'm 40 and thinking about it again I wonder what life would have been like had I made that plunge.

Sadly I never went to a concert. In recent years I kept saying we should go to one before its too late...

Lesser known to most people, but he actually wrote several books as well. Can't say I read many books as an adult, but I did read all of them that been released when I was I was in my early 20s. A Pirate Looks at Fifty, his non-fiction book made me want to move to the Caribbean so bad... Now that I'm 40 and thinking about it again I wonder what life would have been like had I made that plunge.
Where is Joe Merchant was a fun read.

I had similar thoughts with that book. Almost did pack it all up. Wouldn’t trade my current life, but I still have owning a little place on a beach somewhere on my list.

His Christmas albums have also made me want to do a Christmas in the Caribbean

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BrianNole777
The only time we were in Key West we stopped by Margaritaville for a bev and asked if Buffet would be playing at the store any time soon. We missed him by a day. This was years ago, like 1989.

CSB

Reactions: Tom Paris
Very mediocre music but incredibly fun concerts. Had such a blast at Alpine Valley back in the day... so many boobs. RIP

Reactions: dekhawk
Sad news. He used to take middle and high school kids in the keys on canoe tours of the salt ponds in key west.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT