ADVERTISEMENT

jNW scoring 20 pts a game and giving up 26 pts a game; not great but????

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
These numbers are not outstanding but they are very similar to Minny's numbers. Minny's defense looked very athletic and sold out to stop the run.

I have not watched jNW but if you have is their defense very athletic like Minny's, a defense that can totally shut down the Iowa run game? If we cant run we most likely cant score. This is a game Iowa should win by 8+ but we will see where this team is headed.

I think Iowa's defense can hold jNW to 13-14 points as they hardly give up TDs, which is incredible. Iowa turnovers would likely be the only reason jNW might score 20+.

I hope YBlack can totally heal in 2 weeks (amazing he played) and maybe Shannon can get in for some plays (no comment about the Ncaa except to say the fact they are taking back some harsh penalties on the gambling issue shows how wrong they were).

No defense that gave up almost 500 yards and 37 points to this year's dreadful jnw offense could be considered good. The optical illusion of the gooph D looking very athletic says more about the so-called offense that they were facing. The minny D isn't bad. They're average at best.
This game will almost certainly be entirely on the backs of the Iowa D, supported by ST, to get a win. If the offense can do what would be a bare minimum 150 yards total O that might be enough if they don't turn it over.

No defense that gave up almost 500 yards and 37 points to this year's dreadful jnw offense could be considered good. The optical illusion of the gooph D looking very athletic says more about the so-called offense that they were facing. The minny D isn't bad. They're average at best.
This game will almost certainly be entirely on the backs of the Iowa D, supported by ST, to get a win. If the offense can do what would be a bare minimum 150 yards total O that might be enough if they don't turn it over.
Minnesota is 76th on defense in YPP at 5.6, which includes Iowa's 2.3 YPP against them.

Excluding the Iowa game it would be a YPP of 6.1, which would put them around 105th

So no, Minnesota does not have a good defense

Northwestern is currently 51st in YPP, so, they should be able to keep Iowa's offense in check

I agree and NW is not as bad as some folks think compared to Iowa IMO.
Well Iowa right now only has 2/3's of a team. The Iowa offense against MSU and Purdue and Wisky added to about 1/6th of a team for each game. But the offense against PSU and Minny was basically zero.

So the big question is if the offense is average we win going away, if it is 1/6 then we might barely win, and if it is zero it is probably a loss. So as people say it is just guesswork.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT