ADVERTISEMENT

Joe W. could be something special......Fran is RAVING about him!!!!

We are going to need a shit ton of crow around here by the end of the season.

I too think the Hawks should be NCAA worthy this year partly because of Joe’s addition, but if not, I don’t think it deserves crow pie.

Come on you guys. Fran's history is blowing smoke up everyone's ass about his players ability. All his players. In the seasons he has been here I don't see the results that players as great as he claims produced. This is no reflection on the players and especially Joe W. who hasn't played a second for Fran at this point.
I think it is very legitimate to question Fran's comments about any of his players. Especially since 2 of them went to the pro camps to get real criticism/analysis of their skill sets.
They must not trust the staffs judgement on their game. I know a lot of players go thru the pro vetting process but I'm talking about Fran's commentary about his players great talent levels. If what he says about his players talents are true then I can only conclude we lose because of terrible coaching. Maybe I am on to something, they can't play defense.

Actually Fran was pretty spot on about Jordan last year

Reactions: PersianHawk
Some are looking for any chance to pile on Fran but Joe W is the highest rated guy we’ve had in a long time. We are darn lucky to have him as he could have gone elsewhere easily ala DJ. He’s a played extensively on the AAU circuit against good competition so he’s no chump.

All freshman have to make adjustments and get comfortable at the college level but I’m betting on this guy is going to be good. Some of you are going to look stupid.

Every one knows hes gona be good.

You're missing the point.

People bitch no matter what.
KF down plays everything and gets busted on for not touting guys when they blow up a bit.
FM touts his guys and uses the vision of what they could be to motivate and reveal what he sees they are capable of and he gets busted on for over inflated opinions.

True. Win and theres no bitching.

If you asked Fran to give a description of lil Lick he would come out sounding great.

Lil Lick wouldn't have made it within three hours of Iowa City, let alone make the team. Give it a rest already. You're impossible to please, we get it.

Lil Lick wouldn't have made it within three hours of Iowa City, let alone make the team. Give it a rest already. You're impossible to please, we get it.

What does that have to do with anything?

Certainly not even close to anything I said.

Last I saw was mostly drills. But it was INTENSE and guys were really getting after it. Very vocal as well. If I can glean anything I would say I hope we play with greater intensity and toughness this year. And Joe W will be a star. I just think he makes everyone better. Luka is a beast.

Awesome, thank you for that fix!

I think Joe is in an opposite situation compared to Gatens.

Gatens showed up and was the man without any supporting cast. Not much, anyway, and Lick was his coach.

Joe could be the piece that really floats the boat.

You need at least 3 players who are a threat to legitimately score on the floor. Cook and JBo are 2 solid threats and Luka and Moss to a lesser degree. Joe could/should thrive in this scenario.

I always felt bad for Gator because i thought he deserved better. Better personnel. Better coaching. But, he did alright for himself, regardless.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Come on you guys. Fran's history is blowing smoke up everyone's ass about his players ability. All his players. In the seasons he has been here I don't see the results that players as great as he claims produced. This is no reflection on the players and especially Joe W. who hasn't played a second for Fran at this point.
I think it is very legitimate to question Fran's comments about any of his players. Especially since 2 of them went to the pro camps to get real criticism/analysis of their skill sets.
They must not trust the staffs judgement on their game. I know a lot of players go thru the pro vetting process but I'm talking about Fran's commentary about his players great talent levels. If what he says about his players talents are true then I can only conclude we lose because of terrible coaching. Maybe I am on to something, they can't play defense.

Yeah, Fran is optimistic and energized. Showing excitement for the program and the players. We simply can't have this.

KF is "aw,shucks", we're just Iowa. We're not sexy. We simply can't have this.

There is a very thin space somewhere that coaches are supposed to fit into. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping Weiskamp will be a great player at Iowa, but he's bound to have some freshman tendencies and I hope all the fans are patient with him. Last time I saw him on TV in the Iowa tourney, he didn't look overly impressive in that loss, and that was against high school kids. Apparently, though, he is the real deal, so I will back him 100%. He's going to have immensely more talent around him at Iowa than at Muscatine, so he's not going to have to carry the team on his back like in high school.

Last edited:
I think Joe is in an opposite situation compared to Gatens.

Gatens showed up and was the man without any supporting cast. Not much, anyway, and Lick was his coach.

Joe could be the piece that really floats the boat.

You need at least 3 players who are a threat to legitimately score on the floor. Cook and JBo are 2 solid threats and Luka and Moss to a lesser degree. Joe could/should thrive in this scenario.

I always felt bad for Gator because i thought he deserved better. Better personnel. Better coaching. But, he did alright for himself, regardless.

We obviously, as you said, have established scorers in JB & Cook. I would submit that the last third of the year or so Luka (without checking stats) was a significant "threat" to score both inside and out as well as on the break.

IF Moss takes the next step (which he showed signs of) and Joe W. is the kind of scorer most think he can be...this team will be very very strong offensively. Very strong. I think there are three strong scorers and potentially 4 for Joe to play with.

Attended the Chris Street Memorial Golf outing yesterday. Got to see all the players. Cook looks like he is in fantastic shape. Joe is a legit 6'6" maybe 6'7". From a body development standpoint he looks to be in excellent shape but you can tell he is a freshman. Out of all the players it looked like Connor and Ryan had put the most weight on. Dailey and Bear looked like they had put some muscle on.

The event is great and gives everyone a chance to meet the Street family, former And current Hawk players and coaches. Highly recommend it.

Attended the Chris Street Memorial Golf outing yesterday. Got to see all the players. Cook looks like he is in fantastic shape. Joe is a legit 6'6" maybe 6'7". From a body development standpoint he looks to be in excellent shape but you can tell he is a freshman. Out of all the players it looked like Connor and Ryan had put the most weight on. Dailey and Bear looked like they had put some muscle on.

The event is great and gives everyone a chance to meet the Street family, former And current Hawk players and coaches. Highly recommend it.
Dailey and Bear could put on weight and still be skinny. Ditto PMc, next year.

Literally every thread since the beginning of last year has been about defense... Are you sure you've been reading HawkeyeReport?

You might have me with this. I’ll admit I don’t check this specific forum very much. I don’t see much defense in this thread’s 71 posts so far though.

I am saying that maybe they had to go to the NBA camp to get an honest , accurate assessment of their talent level because their coach isn’t capable.
But you can give an honest and true assessment but the 4 or 5 coaches who do this for a living suck at their job? I guess I'm going to believe you:D
Are you making 2 million dollars a year at your job? Maybe you could be if you spent less time complaining on this board....

Reactions: ZumaHawk
But you can give an honest and true assessment but the 4 or 5 coaches who do this for a living suck at their job? I guess I'm going to believe you:D
Are you making 2 million dollars a year at your job? Maybe you could be if you spent less time complaining on this board....
Chuck, Your reading comprehension skills are quite poor. I never said I was a talent evaluator for college basketball players. I did say that Fran tells us everyone on the team is great. If so, why are his teams incapable of winning more than half the time.

Also, since you want to make things personal, I didn't make 2 million last year however, I did retire at 58 and am worth a few million due to my successful business career. Why don't you tell us all about your successes in life so far. Does mommy still cut the crust from your pb&j sandwiches ? You are probably an expert on everything and have accomplished nothing. I bet I'm pretty close. Put me on ignore as I don't want to hear from you again.
Also genius, If you look at my posts and length of membership, I average 1 post a month.
So, I am not on here all the time complaining as you said.

Chuck, Your reading comprehension skills are quite poor. I never said I was a talent evaluator for college basketball players. I did say that Fran tells us everyone on the team is great. If so, why are his teams incapable of winning more than half the time.

Also, since you want to make things personal, I didn't make 2 million last year however, I did retire at 58 and am worth a few million due to my successful business career. Why don't you tell us all about your successes in life so far. Does mommy still cut the crust from your pb&j sandwiches ? You are probably an expert on everything and have accomplished nothing. I bet I'm pretty close. Put me on ignore as I don't want to hear from you again.
Also genius, If you look at my posts and length of membership, I average 1 post a month.
So, I am not on here all the time complaining as you said.
So I take it you must be a fellow member of the Kinnick Society?

internet tough guys and tough chatter. Put them in the octagon. I'd pay.

i'm not being tough and i'm not. Please, don't beat me up.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Hooper, I was Kinnick Society for years and season ticket holder for 32 years for football and much less for basketball. I have been very close to the athletic dept. for years but I have moved to South Florida in my retirement.
I think I earned the right to be critical of situations I feel call for it. These young guys think Iowa will win Big 10 Championships and maybe a National Championship one day in their lifetime.
When they get much older like me they may realize it's not likely to ever happen.
I also think that when one puts their money where their mouth is they are entitled to express one's opinion with out some pissant jumping down my throat.

Hooper, I was Kinnick Society for years and season ticket holder for 32 years for football and much less for basketball. I have been very close to the athletic dept. for years but I have moved to South Florida in my retirement.
I think I earned the right to be critical of situations I feel call for it. These young guys think Iowa will win Big 10 Championships and maybe a National Championship one day in their lifetime.
When they get much older like me they may realize it's not likely to ever happen.
I also think that when one puts their money where their mouth is they are entitled to express one's opinion with out some pissant jumping down my throat.
I wasn't jumping down your throat, just asking a question. No need for the name calling. Thanks for your support of the Hawkeyes. Too many folks whine and never have given a dime.

You are correct, Garza was a badass at the end of the year offensively. So was his backup in Kriener... Garza's defense was improved. But needed a lot of work. Kriener not as much... Both will be good for 40 minutes of pain for whoever they face in the middle this year. Count on it.

The rest of the team will be better on the offensive side. If the defense picks it up a knotch, and I think it will be a few knotches, then we will be a team that can beat anyone on any night. Much like the team of a couple of years ago. Excluding the late season collapse...

We obviously, as you said, have established scorers in JB & Cook. I would submit that the last third of the year or so Luka (without checking stats) was a significant "threat" to score both inside and out as well as on the break.

IF Moss takes the next step (which he showed signs of) and Joe W. is the kind of scorer most think he can be...this team will be very very strong offensively. Very strong. I think there are three strong scorers and potentially 4 for Joe to play with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT