ADVERTISEMENT

John Harrar

Surprised he is still available unless he is considering returning to PSU. Buttrick from PSU is headed to U-Mass.

I have a feeling that Fran is just going to go with what he has. After Nunge went down, we were playing with only 1 center. Next year we'll have two. I'm not sure we need a third unless one of the two isn't good enough to get playing time. The new kid isn't coming early to sit on the bench. The question is whether JO can fill the wide-body role.

I have a feeling that Fran is just going to go with what he has. After Nunge went down, we were playing with only 1 center. Next year we'll have two. I'm not sure we need a third unless one of the two isn't good enough to get playing time. The new kid isn't coming early to sit on the bench. The question is whether JO can fill the wide-body role.
Agree, unless something falls in his lap. More than excited for the Murrays, Perkins, Frederick, Ulis oh and Patrick and Connor. Lol, a new era of Iowa basketball.

Reactions: iabcuda
You aren’t counting on Mulvey as one of the centers are you?

There will be little chance he will be able to contribute

You aren’t counting on Mulvey as one of the centers are you?

There will be little chance he will be able to contribute

Absolutely I am. I'm thinking he's starting. Why would he come early to sit on the bench. In the end we might find out that he didn't contribute much but he's playing.

Let's face it, we're going to have a whole team of players that we're not sure of their game. It could be a rough year. We just have to go with it and hope for the best.

Or Fran could pick up a couple proven transfers to help this team compete and allow the youngsters time to develop their games. Consistency does wonders for programs like Iowa. If you're up and down all the time you're going to have trouble bringing in quality recruits. Iowa has the young pieces to build but the team needs some quality veterans to take some of the burden off and the know how to win games and score points.

Absolutely I am. I'm thinking he's starting. Why would he come early to sit on the bench. In the end we might find out that he didn't contribute much but he's playing.
Just based on what I have read the calculation for coming early was that he could spend the year playing against HS talent and working in his schools system....OR...he could get in the Iowa program and their weight training, understanding Iowa's system, etc.....AND...if he is good enough to contribute, then he plays. IF not, it is thought to be better to spend the year as a redshirt in the Iowa program getting acclimated to their system, the school, and working with his teammates.

Or Fran could pick up a couple proven transfers to help this team compete and allow the youngsters time to develop their games. Consistency does wonders for programs like Iowa. If you're up and down all the time you're going to have trouble bringing in quality recruits. Iowa has the young pieces to build but the team needs some quality veterans to take some of the burden off and the know how to win games and score points.

I agree with you on the consistency thing, it's just we have a different opinion on what should be consistent. You seem to be talking about wins and loses. I'm more concerned about a consistent team. If fran brings in a couple of players, we might lose a couple or worse, they hang around and be disruptive to the environment. The consistency that Iowa needs is to develop the players we have. Not having players coming and going.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4
Just based on what I have read the calculation for coming early was that he could spend the year playing against HS talent and working in his schools system....OR...he could get in the Iowa program and their weight training, understanding Iowa's system, etc.....AND...if he is good enough to contribute, then he plays. IF not, it is thought to be better to spend the year as a redshirt in the Iowa program getting acclimated to their system, the school, and working with his teammates.

To me, if he's not good enough to contribute next year, then I feel he should be spending next year playing (in HS) rather than sitting on the bench. I'm not convinced our weight training program is all that good.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
To me, if he's not good enough to contribute next year, then I feel he should be spending next year playing (in HS) rather than sitting on the bench. I'm not convinced our weight training program is all that good.
On our weight program I am pretty much in agreement with you....although Patrick did add significant weight between his 1st and 2nd year. Luka also made significant progress over his time......that said, our weight program isn't close to the MSU & Purdue type programs.

Otherwise I think there is a clear advantage to redshirting at Iowa and all the development and knowledge he can gain vs spending another year in HS.

On our weight program I am pretty much in agreement with you....although Patrick did add significant weight between his 1st and 2nd year. Luka also made significant progress over his time......that said, our weight program isn't close to the MSU & Purdue type programs.

Otherwise I think there is a clear advantage to redshirting at Iowa and all the development and knowledge he can gain vs spending another year in HS.
I tend to agree. I think the prep school route for the Murrays was the right move. Frankly, they were still growing and developing a bit, and there were questions coming out of high school what their ceilings were. A year of prep school gave them that opportunity to showcase and hone those skills against similar players, and sure enough they showed they could compete at a higher level than high school.

Mulvey's a little different. I think for him the redshirt route (unless, he's good enough to be in the rotation) is the way to go. There's no doubt that he has power-5 size and skills. Might need some toning and refinement, though.

Call it a gut feel, but that's what I'm going with.

Reactions: perryhawk
Let's face it, we're going to have a whole team of players that we're not sure of their game. It could be a rough year. We just have to go with it and hope for the best.
There are some "knowns" on this team. We know that Keegan and PMac can play both ends. We know that CJ, when healthy, is damn good on both ends. We know that Joe T can turn it on on both ends but he can also be inconsistent. We know that CMac can play decent defense and does a good job at getting the offense flowing but is not much of a threat to score.

Just a lot of unknowns. We don't know if the team (CJ!) can stay healthy. We don't know if Weezy is coming back. We don't know if Kris M, Big O, Ulis, and Perkins will take that step up as sophomores. And we don't know how well Standfort and Mulvey adapt to D1 competition. And there is still a chance that Iowa could get a transfer - Evelyn didn't commit to Iowa until June, and that was during a "normal" year.

There is a lot of potential for both success or disaster. I guess it just depends on whether you are a glass half full or half empty kind of person. I am the latter.

Go Hawks!

;)

Reactions: hopstiguy61

He is already 18 and weighs 240 and by the looks of it it’s muscle not fat

Reactions: skydog0784
I tend to agree. I think the prep school route for the Murrays was the right move. Frankly, they were still growing and developing a bit, and there were questions coming out of high school what their ceilings were. A year of prep school gave them that opportunity to showcase and hone those skills against similar players, and sure enough they showed they could compete at a higher level than high school.

Mulvey's a little different. I think for him the redshirt route (unless, he's good enough to be in the rotation) is the way to go. There's no doubt that he has power-5 size and skills. Might need some toning and refinement, though.

Call it a gut feel, but that's what I'm going with.

You really think it makes sense for Mulvey to redshirt when the team only has one center and he didn't even play a single valuable minute last year. Even if Fran brings in a guy, I could still see where Mulvey gets playing time ahead of JO. Unless Mulvey wants to reshirt, I don't see a single scenario where he does. It would take Fran bringing in 2 bigs.

Reactions: BBHawk
You really think it makes sense for Mulvey to redshirt when the team only has one center and he didn't even play a single valuable minute last year. Even if Fran brings in a guy, I could still see where Mulvey gets playing time ahead of JO. Unless Mulvey wants to reshirt, I don't see a single scenario where he does. It would take Fran bringing in 2 bigs.
No, that was simply an either/or proposition.

The benefits of red-shirting at Iowa, I believe, outweigh the benefits of a season of prep basketball. That's all I meant.

I'm going with the assumption that the biggest reason he's NOT playing prep ball is that he will be able to compete for meaningful time in the rotation, even WITH a grad transfer.

Reactions: BBHawk and SB_SB
I agree with you on the consistency thing, it's just we have a different opinion on what should be consistent. You seem to be talking about wins and loses. I'm more concerned about a consistent team. If fran brings in a couple of players, we might lose a couple or worse, they hang around and be disruptive to the environment. The consistency that Iowa needs is to develop the players we have. Not having players coming and going.
Either way you have people leave. We've had our fair share leave in recent seasons with Nunge being the recent. Nothing wrong with adding transfers as well to help round out your team. Relying only on freshmen is a good way to have up and down years. Frans best season was this last season and it stalled out in the 2nd round. To go with just who we have on the roster currently isn't the best recipe for success. The younger guys needs time. The two young centera shouldn't be thrown out there if not ready to compete in the B1G. Competition on the roster is the best way to build and grow as a player. Most athletes understand this and know it only grows their game.

Agree, unless something falls in his lap. More than excited for the Murrays, Perkins, Frederick, Ulis oh and Patrick and Connor. Lol, a new era of Iowa basketball.
Honestly not sure why you lump Patrick and Connor together. I can see at this point if you are unhappy with Connor, because you probably aren't going to get more from him than we have, but if you don't see the same type of player when you look at Keegan and Patrick, I think you are looking with Fran-hating glasses.

Honestly not sure why you lump Patrick and Connor together. I can see at this point if you are unhappy with Connor, because you probably aren't going to get more from him than we have, but if you don't see the same type of player when you look at Keegan and Patrick, I think you are looking with Fran-hating glasses.
Lump Connor and Patrick together? You mean like cuz they're brothers? I'm excited about this new group, I guess that would include Connor. That is all I was saying.

Patrick, Keegan, Kris, Perkins, CJF - these young guys project as difference makers to me. Nunge was in this group.

Connor is a facilitator.

Ogundele is a project that may, or may not, pay off, but is a good kid from all accounts.

Joe T and Ulis are unknowns. I think Ulis projects better only because he's more of a traditional PG and because Joe T showed no improvement this year. But that doesn't mean he couldn't next year, so it's hard to project. Not sure if either of them project as difference makers but we've seen very little of Ulis. I like his background, however, and his film.

We needed Robbins badly as he was a 2 year transfer so the combination of Nunge leaving and not landing Robbins really hurts. Hope something else breaks loose who could help us but kinda grim atm. Harra would definitely help and would be familiar with us so I'd be surprised if we didn't reach out to him unless there are issues with him behind the scenes.

Last edited:
I think it depends on Wieskamp, and Bohannon, but if both are gone I'd hope Fran would at least add 1 or 2 Spring signee's.

If Joe W leaves, and we don't add an experienced post next year could be a major step back.

I think it depends on Wieskamp, and Bohannon, but if both are gone I'd hope Fran would at least add 1 or 2 Spring signee's.

If Joe W leaves, and we don't add an experienced post next year could be a major step back.

I don't see any reason for JBo to be back next year at Iowa. It doesn't benefit Iowa or the JBo. If he wants to play he'd be much better off grad transferring to somewhere that's needs a shooter. He had a hard time getting shots last year and that was with Luka. We're need to play the young guys and see just how good of a coach Fran is. Based on what's been written, it seems like JW is gone and I don't blame him. He shot good last year and now is the time.

As far as bringing in transfer players, I'm not against it but I'd like to play the team we have. Nunge is replaced by Mulvey and there might not be a big drop off. I'm hoping after a summer with NBA style training The Murray boys are going to advance their game and be fun to watch. Let's reward them by getting some playing time. I want all the young guys to go out and play hard and not have to worry about being put on the bench for making a mistake. Let's see where that takes us. I like this team.

Reactions: Hawksfinal4

In high school/prep school he would be playing against the occasional person who can match up height wise. At the very least he will get daily reps against those more his size. That can only help.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT