ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson decries Olympic opener for mocking christianity

Have a feeling Scruddy and his buddies all got 'closet boners' seeing the blue dude in a Speedo on national TV....

They've been pulling up screenshots of him all weekend and masturbating.
Straight to gay fantasy. Always. No wonder you support that guy dropping his sack out by that child. It's all projection.

I figured not, but he was on a roll and I wanted to see just how deep he was willing to dig.

It that right rags? Is it? So you said a freak did it but you weren't offended but some audiences might be then jump on joes jock agreeing it didn't happen? Is everything about you so hollow and fake? Enjoy the fact check.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
I would say the response from Harris should be to ignore the distinguished loony Senator from the fine state of Alabama.
She is right about the common sense versus crazy thing though.

She’d just hilariously wrong about which side she’s on.

Twice. Shows everything

Again; you posted a Tweet that shows nothing.

THIS is the actual photo directly off Daily Mail, which appears to be torn tights (like the other posted noted) and too blurry to tell, either way

GTclGaDW8AA6QOo

Last edited:
No one asked for my opinion so I’ll give it:

Watched the whole show. The “fashion show” on the bridge was a parody incorporating both Dionysys and The Last Supper. Now that the blue Smurf guy has spoken and we understand the intent was to be a little racy.

At a minimum that was unessecary. The Chinese pulled off a ceremony the world still remembers 16 years later and was completely G rated.

At a minimum, the IOC could have promoted the broadcast partners to make a statement that the show contains suggestive content and parental discretion is advised. I was not happy watching with my child the suggestive threesome scene.

Yes, some Christians are overreacting. I mean, it’s the French! I knew something racy was coming. Christ Himself was not parodied so I’m going to sleep fine tonight. At the same time, I think it is also acceptable to call out globally televised smut, which is what part of the show was.

Progressives lose the argument about protecting children when they allow a child to be near a free-baller on global television.

I saw it described as "glorified ignorance" in a column the other day. It's not the only aspect of the evolution of the GOP, but it's significant and easily observed.

The Republican Party’s Elite Conundrum​

Donald Trump loves to show off how smart he is. “I’m, like, a smart person,” he boasted on one occasion. “I went to an Ivy League college, I was a nice student,” he said on another. “I’m a very intelligent person.” And perhaps most memorably, “I’m a very stable genius.”
But the dopey language he chooses, along with his disheveled, unpresidented grammar — both intentional and inadvertent — belie those assertions. It’s impossible to forget that this is the same guy who spells little “liddle’,” capitalizes at random and blunders out the occasional “covfefe.”

Trump is shrewd enough to know that Americans don’t like a guy who acts smart. So if his fumbles are strategic, it’s not entirely dumb. On the left, people think emphasizing intellect and elite schools betrays unfair advantage in a multiple-intelligences, equitable-outcome world. On the right, your average MAGA Joe bristles at anyone who comes across as a coastal elite or too smart for his own good.

In its recent populist incarnation, Republicans downplay any whiff of intellectualism by avoiding big words in favor of Kid Rock fandom and trucker hat slogans. In MAGA world, glorified ignorance actually serves as a qualification for higher office (see: Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene), empowering more effective rage against “the liberal elite” and “the ruling class.”

This puts those Republican politicians saddled with inconvenient Ivy League degrees in an awkward position, like the guy who shows up in a tux for a rodeo wedding. In order to stay in office and on message, they must reject the very thing that propelled their own careers.

Remember, Ron DeSantis once eagerly joined one of Yale’s secret societies and told classmates he’d dreamed of attending Harvard Law. He founded a tutoring firm offering “the only LSAT prep courses designed exclusively by Harvard Law School graduates.”
But once in office, he made a show of distancing himself from his academic credentials.

“I viewed having earned degrees from Yale and Harvard Law School to be political scarlet letters as far as a G.O.P. primary went,” DeSantis wrote in “The Courage to Be Free: Florida’s Blueprint for America’s Revival.”

His Ivy League brethren, Ted Cruz (Princeton, Harvard Law), Josh Hawley (Stanford, Yale Law) and Tom Cotton (Harvard, Harvard), take similar pains to wash off the taint of East Coast academia with good-ol’-boy cred.

This is in sharp contrast to the intellectual pretensions of earlier Republican leaders, who would highlight, say, the “historian” Newt Gingrich’s Ph.D.

The latest standard-bearer for regular-folk Republicans is a down-home J.D., now JD — no periods, dude — who went to Yale Law School only with the help of student loans and side jobs. What’s more, JD Vance first got a humbler degree at Ohio State through the G.I. Bill. At the Republican National Convention, Yale barely came up.

And in one of her very first moves as an aspiring second lady, Usha Vance, who attended Yale as both an undergrad and a law student, made clear she would like to be referred to as Mrs. Vance, rather than Ms. The implication being: dutiful wife first, fancy Ivy League lawyer second.

Gone is the bushy-tailed Vance who wrote in “Hillbilly Elegy,” “The coolest thing I’ve done, at least on paper, is graduate from Yale Law School, something 13-year-old J.D. Vance would have considered ludicrous.” The up-and-comer who, in thrall of Yale’s “aura,” confessed that he “wanted to go to Yale more than any other school.”

The Vance who emerged as a MAGA politician is one who, after reaping the benefits and connections of an elite graduate education, turned around and gave a speech in 2021 called “The Universities Are the Enemy.”

“How ridiculous is it that we tell our young people to go to college, to get brainwashed?” he asked the crowd, going on to quote Nixon: “The professors are the enemy.” For Vance, the biggest takeaway from his Ivy League education is the monumental chip on his shoulder.

In politics as in life, brains aren’t everything. Politicians have long achieved high office based on ambition, hubris, cunning and a certain degree of ruthlessness more so than on account of their intellect. Nor does an Ivy League degree equate with excellence.

But it’s nonetheless dispiriting to see a major political party give lowbrow boors pride of place over the high-minded. It also puts Republicans in an awkward position vis-à-vis their new national opponent. Should Republicans frame Kamala Harris as some kind of lightweight bungling her words and laughing her way weirdly to the Oval Office, it risks not only playing into racist and sexist stereotypes, it will also further cement the flagrant hypocrisy of their own party.

After all, the Republican Party has turned ignorance into a point of pride.

Die Santos. The Orange Turd. Johnson. Cotton, Cruz. They all reside in the same sewer. I'm beginning to think Johnson is the dumbest of them.

Reactions: torbee
Well, all I can say is thank god it was Christianity that was mistakenly thought to have been being mocked and not Islam.

That's fair enough.

But, think the difference in violence is driven by demographics. The Muslim world is filled with young, long-term unemployed men--the prime demographic for violence. The average MAGA guy is late-middle age and has enjoyed a comfortable life with regular employment, despite his lack of a college degree, probably owns a house in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Reactions: torbee
No one asked for my opinion so I’ll give it:

Watched the whole show. The “fashion show” on the bridge was a parody incorporating both Dionysys and The Last Supper. Now that the blue Smurf guy has spoken and we understand the intent was to be a little racy.

At a minimum that was unessecary. The Chinese pulled off a ceremony the world still remembers 16 years later and was completely G rated.

At a minimum, the IOC could have promoted the broadcast partners to make a statement that the show contains suggestive content and parental discretion is advised. I was not happy watching with my child the suggestive threesome scene.

Yes, some Christians are overreacting. I mean, it’s the French! I knew something racy was coming. Christ Himself was not parodied so I’m going to sleep fine tonight. At the same time, I think it is also acceptable to call out globally televised smut, which is what part of the show was.

Progressives lose the argument about protecting children when they allow a child to be near a free-baller on global television.
Well the Chinese were well motivated. Also a lot of it was fake. They didn’t use the actual singers. Gave us better looking stand ins.

That's fair enough.

But, think the difference in violence is driven by demographics. The Muslim world is filled with young, long-term unemployed men--the prime demographic for violence. The average MAGA guy is late-middle age and has enjoyed a comfortable life with regular employment, despite his lack of a college degree, probably owns a house in a relatively safe neighborhood.
At least that MAGA didn’t have his college paid off by other people

From a Baptist, of all people:

TL;DR Summary:

In a recent reflection on accusations of mocking God, a Baptist preacher argues that defending religious practices is not the same as defending God. The preacher suggests that the real issue is not about religious depictions but rather about understanding and honoring the correct context, such as the Greek gods' influence on Olympic history. He criticizes the far right for fostering anti-intellectualism and emphasizes that focusing on policies and actions that dishonor God—such as those harming children, stripping dignity, or causing environmental damage—is more meaningful. The preacher also notes that recent apologies from the International Festival of Culture (IFC) and its artist should be interpreted as expressions of unintended harm rather than intentional mockery, and calls for a focus on addressing genuine issues of injustice and dishonor.

---------
Full Post:

Baptist preacher here. If you are interested in my thoughts on mocking God...well, I can probably offer some more interesting reading suggestions than anything I will say. Like the project that has been set forth for next year and is widely available to you online. But here goes.
1. People do not need to defend God. People do often feel the need to defend the religious practices they have centered - and the ways they have chosen to behave because of what they believe to be true about God. But that is not the same thing as defending God. The accusation that one is mocking God begs questions about what precisely the accuser is defending.
2. Treating an Italian painting of white Jesus as sacrosanct is most certainly honoring something that is not God. The accusation that one is mocking God begs questions about what exactly the accuser is honoring.
3. A depiction of Jesus welcoming table guests that others shun is Biblical. The accusation that one is mocking God begs questions about which Gospels the accuser is reading.
4. "Mocking God" is a mean-spirited critique. The accusation that one is mocking God begs questions about the intention of the accuser.
But more than any of this: the fact that American Christians so wildly missed the celebration of the Greek gods is stunningly and embarrassingly a result of the anti-intellectual tragedy into which the far right has invited evangelical Christians.
Listen. There is no shame in not already knowing something. It is ok to not readily recognize the Feast of DIONYSOS (Dionysus). I have to look up how to spell it every time I write it.
But the Greek gods are at the heart of the history of the Olympics.
And the opening Ceremony in Paris was about things deeply rooted in French culture and in Olympic history.
Artwork from the Louvre was highlighted.
And though there are depictions of the last supper in the Louvre, the particular painting in question is not at the Louvre because it is in a church in Italy. It has nothing to do with France-or the Olympics and it would have been wildly off topic.
It makes much more sense for the bawdy scene in question to be a depiction of the Feast of DIONYSOS (Dionysus).
I hope you will stop spending energy being angry about the opening ceremony mocking God.
And.
There are things that dishonor God.
Policies that make it harder for children to eat dishonor God.
Policies that strip dignity and self-determination from those whose realities you do not understand dishonor God.
The dismantling of public education dishonors
God.
Racial injustice dishonors God.
Centering heteronormative relationships dishonors God.
Championing women who are able to birth live children as virtuous or honorable dishonors God.
Using tricky words to herald a society where freedoms and safety-nets are taken away in the name of some false nobility of suffering dishonors God.
Lying dishonors God.
Cheating on your partner dishonors God.
Destroying ecosystems dishonors God.
Filling the oceans with plastic dishonors God.
Hoarding wealth dishonors God.
Choose, then, whom you will serve.
---------EDIT for an additional comment:
I've seen people asking about the apology from the IFC and I'd like to encourage us all to read what was said!
I respect an apology for unintended harm! I respect an apology for something that caused a response they did not expect.
In my reading I have not found the apology to say that the committee or the artist described the show as a parody. I see news reports describing that this belief is what people were angry about. And that is different.
This is what the AP offers.
“Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. On the contrary, I think (with) Thomas Jolly, we really did try to celebrate community tolerance,” Descamps said. “Looking at the result of the polls that we shared, we believe that this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offense we are, of course, really, really sorry.”
Jolly explained his intentions to The Associated Press after the ceremony.
“My wish isn’t to be subversive, nor to mock or to shock,” Jolly said. “Most of all, I wanted to send a message of love, a message of inclusion and not at all to divide.”
It's a version of "that is not what I intended but I'm sorry it landed that way." Although the "I'm sorry you took offense" is pretty generic.
And indeed. We are all called upon, sometimes, to be gracious if our work or words have caused offense. We can all wonder what that might mean for us.
Also yes the image I used was just some image I found that seemed available and funny. And I expected a few friends to see and engage with my post. It's a fair critique that there is much better art available. Accurate. You are not wrong. I'll change it.
Here is Banquet of the Gods by Carl Bellosio

And you knew this before seeing these videos and whatnot after the fact?
No.

But I have followed both of those guys for a long time. Dan McClellan is someone whose scholarship I respect a lot.

Since the Greeks invented the idea of the Olympic Games, it would make sense that’s what the act was all about.

I also do not like evangelicals and think they are idiot, Trump-worshipping snowflakes.

So, my money is on Dan McClellan being right and Mike Johnson being wrong (as usual). Until credible evidence exists to refute that, I will stick with that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT