ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson Digs In Against Border Deal to Unlock Ukraine Aid, Defying Biden

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Deplorable POS:

Speaker Mike Johnson on Wednesday threw cold water on the idea of striking an immigration deal with Democrats that could revive stalled legislation to send aid to Ukraine, hours before a meeting in which President Biden planned to make a renewed push for the plan.
“I don’t think now is the time for comprehensive immigration reform because we know how complicated that is,” Mr. Johnson said Wednesday morning ahead of an afternoon meeting at the White House. “You can’t do that quickly. I do think it’s past time to secure the border.”
Mr. Johnson said he told Mr. Biden on Thursday during a 30-minute phone call that he was dug in on the matter, and would deliver the same message face to face later Wednesday. Mr. Biden has summoned Mr. Johnson and other congressional leaders as well as the top-ranking national security committee lawmakers in Congress, in an urgent bid to break a monthslong logjam over military assistance for Ukraine and the border security policies Republicans have insisted are a requirement for the aid.
“I’m going to tell the president what I’m telling all of you, what we’ve told the American people: border, border, border,” Mr. Johnson said. “We have to secure our own border before we talk about doing anything else. And that’s the message I’ve had since day one.”
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

A group of Senate Republicans and Democrats as well as Biden administration officials have made substantial progress in recent weeks toward a compromise that would clamp down on migration at the southwestern border and unlock support for a fresh round of money for Ukraine. But House Republicans have stood against the emerging deal, which has infuriated the party’s hard-right base, arguing that a more severe crackdown is needed.

In yet another indication that they are in no mood to compromise, House Republican leaders have scheduled a vote on Wednesday on a resolution denouncing what they call Mr. Biden’s “open-border policies” and calling on him to end them.
“The border is a catastrophe, and it has to be addressed,” Mr. Johnson said on Wednesday. “You’re going to see House Republicans standing and fighting on that hill because it’s important for the country.”
The bipartisan group of senators has agreed to measures to make it more difficult for migrants to claim asylum after crossing the border, and expanded detention and expulsion powers. But the negotiations have hit a snag over limiting parole authority, which the administration uses to allow some migrants who attempted to enter the United States illegally to remain in the country and work until their cases can be heard in immigration court.
Mr. Johnson suggested that a border deal, even one that met all the Republicans’ demands, might not be enough to win their support for funding Ukraine’s war effort against Russia. He insisted that the administration provide other guarantees and accountability measures.

Editors’ Picks​

Workplace Wellness Programs Have Little Benefit, Study Finds​

The Habanero Rules Yucatán. Let It Rule Your Kitchen, Too.​

Mexican Whiskey Is on the Rise, Powered by Ancient Corn​

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

“What is the endgame and the strategy in Ukraine? How will we have accountability for the funds?” Mr. Johnson asked. “We need to know that Ukraine will not be another Afghanistan.”

Seems like it’s never time for “comprehensive immigration reform”. It’s almost like they don’t want to actually solve anything.
Republicans don't want to fix anything. They just want things to bitch about that their base repeats. Again, both parties need to get together and decide what exactly the hell they want to do about the border. I honestly care less about the damn border than most on here because I have heard bitching about it for decades. The people we vote for will NOT sit together at a table and solve the issue, They don't want to.
Assholes.

Republicans don't want to fix anything. They just want things to bitch about that their base repeats. Again, both parties need to get together and decide what exactly the hell they want to do about the border. I honestly care less about the damn border than most on here because I have heard bitching about it for decades. The people we vote for will NOT sit together at a table and solve the issue, They don't want to.
Assholes.

Severly restrict asylum claims and start deporting people. There...done!

I've said a million times on here. Rs have no interest in immigration reform. They want flooded borders. Chaos is their goal.
You are correct, most Republicans have zero interest in comprehensive immigration unless and until the border is secure. Why would you create new laws regarding immigration when the left refuses to enforce the current laws? Why in the world would one want to create incentives for future illegal immigrants to secure jobs, receive benefits or even set legal immigration goals, if the left refuses to stop the invasion we are now experiencing.

If I were in congress, I would say nothing moves forward unless and until our southern border is locked down. It scares the heck out of me knowing how much fentanyl, how many spies and terrorists are in our country due to our lack of border security.

Severly restrict asylum claims and start deporting people. There...done!
Close it all down - nobody but maybe family gets in, period, until the powers that be have a handle on it, agree with how future immigration is going to work and have a plan to ease back into it. I'm literally tired of hearing about it. Same thing with the damn middle east. My earliest news memories are hearing about crap going on over there that gets us involved.

You are correct, most Republicans have zero interest in comprehensive immigration unless and until the border is secure. Why would you create new laws regarding immigration when the left refuses to enforce the current laws? Why in the world would one want to create incentives for future illegal immigrants to secure jobs, receive benefits or even set legal immigration goals, if the left refuses to stop the invasion we are now experiencing.

If I were in congress, I would say nothing moves forward unless and until our southern border is locked down. It scares the heck out of me knowing how much fentanyl, how many spies and terrorists are in our country due to our lack of border security.
Once again, could you please, JUST ONE EFFING TIME, learn who's bringing fentanyl across our border???? It's almost exclusively AMERICANS!!

Rs don't want a locked down border. They love having it a mess. It's an easy campaigning issue for them.

When you have a serious plumbing problem the very first thing you do is turn off the water..

Reactions: abby97
Once again, could you please, JUST ONE EFFING TIME, learn who's bringing fentanyl across our border???? It's almost exclusively AMERICANS!!
I don't know if most of the drugs is being moved by Americans or anyone else. What I do know, is that a percentage of drugs IS being brought over using illegal immigrants and that can and needs to be stopped. Whatever the percentage that may be.

I agree that the border needs to be more secure and that we need to change the system for asylum claims so we don't have encampments along the border or large fenced in facilities housing people in cages. But, we also need reform. Dems would be smart to create something in Senate that does both and let Rs do nothing.

When you have a serious plumbing problem the very first thing you do is turn off the water..
If Dems are smart they will leave the water running because if they stop the water the Rs will not do reform later. I package it in Senate and let them do nothing. Then, put that in the ads over the next 9 months.

I don't know if most of the drugs is being moved by Americans or anyone else. What I do know, is that a percentage of drugs IS being brought over using illegal immigrants and that can and needs to be stopped. Whatever the percentage that may be.

I'm certain that if illegal border crossings were brought to zero, border security would be able to concentrate more manpower and effort on drug transport,.. wherever it's happening.

I agree that the border needs to be more secure and that we need to change the system for asylum claims so we don't have encampments along the border or large fenced in facilities housing people in cages. But, we also need reform. Dems would be smart to create something in Senate that does both and let Rs do nothing.

They have. Bipartisan in fact (Lankford sponsored).

Johnson refuses to pick up it because Laura Ingrahm told him it would give Biden a win

That's your problem - it is. Look it up. Don't cry about fentanyl when our own citizens are bringing it. It busts up that narrative about evil brown skin people killing/drugging/raping Americans.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Let us know what Biden could do that the Republicans would vote for.
What the h311 are you talking about? Not a single Republican needs to vote for anything to have the Biden admin continue building the wall, enforce our asylum laws as written, stop suing the states that are trying to stop illegal crossing on their borders, re-implement remain in Mexico for asylum seekers, etc.

Say what you will about Trump, he took the border seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
That's your problem - it is. Look it up. Don't cry about fentanyl when our own citizens are bringing it. It busts up that narrative about evil brown skin people killing/drugging/raping Americans.
So it your little mind, whatever amount of fentanyl illegals bring into our country, is okay because there are some Americans that do the same thing. Do you feel the same about murder? There are Americans that kill people so we shouldn't worry about any murders committed by illegals?

This is a perfect analogy. We can't fix the broken pipe until we have a comprehensive plan outlining how we are going to repair the house and how it will be decorated, first. So the water just keeps flowing and flooding and on and on.............

Let us know what Biden could do that the Republicans would vote for.

Return to the Trump EOs, start deporting and start workplace enforcement raids. You don't even need a single Republican for that.

Also, republicans would support severe restrictions on asylum claims.

If Dems are smart they will leave the water running because if they stop the water the Rs will not do reform later. I package it in Senate and let them do nothing. Then, put that in the ads over the next 9 months.
Nice attempt at justifying your anti American ploy. You and the left have zero interest in keeping this country safe so now you are trying to find a way to justify that stance? wow.........

This is what Republicans do. It's what they have done for almost 20 years. They act like they want to do something then find any excuse to not do it. And if you somehow do get them to "agree" to a plan, they all back out at the last minute so you ended up just wasting weeks of negotiation time. It's why Republicans suck at governing.

He is speaking now. He said the bill needs to demonstrate that border security is top priority and must include:
-Restoration of remain in Mexico policy
-End of catch and release
-Fix broken asylum system

Seems reasonable, if that’s truly all is what they want.

Because you don't need a wall to fix immigration issues.

Neither party, and that includes REPUBLICANS, do shit about illegal labor. Hell, there are plenty of illegal Ag workers here in Iowa right under Kimmy's nose and she won't do shit. Why is that, exactly?

He is speaking now. He said the bill needs to demonstrate that border security is top priority and must include:
-Restoration of remain in Mexico policy
-End of catch and release
-Fix broken asylum system

Seems reasonable, if that’s truly all is what they want.
Well, of course it's the manner of how they want to do these things that is important.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT