ADVERTISEMENT

Jok: "They're...grabbing me...like a football game out there." WHY we haven't seen Teddy V in 4 yrs

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Teddy V has not refereed an Iowa basketball game in FOUR YEARS!!!! Have you missed Teddy V over these last 4 years?

From HawkCentral.com on that and on the way Michigan State plays defense:

“I think they’re [Michigan State] playing illegal defense on me, to be honest,” Jok said after being held to 13 points on 2-for-11 shooting. “They’re just grabbing me, doing whatever it takes, like a football game out there.”

Michigan State has a reputation of playing a physical style of basketball. Iowa fans will never forget the way the Spartans were allowed to rough up their guards in the 2013 Big Ten Tournament. (It was so egregious that referee Ted Valentine hasn't been allowed to work an Iowa conference game since.)

Jok just thought on Saturday they got away with too much.

“I expect it by now. I feel like everybody is going to keep playing like that,” Jok said. “I just wish the referee would watch me the whole time. I think they’re playing illegal defense on me sometimes. Just grabbing me.”

Michigan State threw waves of defenders to limit Jok’s ability to find open space, as he is prone to do with nine games this season of 25-plus points.

Seniors Alvin Ellis III and Eron Harris were the predominant Jok defenders.

“Those seniors might have won us the game by the defense they played on Jok,” Spartans coach Tom Izzo said, “because he was unbelievable (28 points) at Minnesota.”

The whole story: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...peter-jok-defense-injury-tyler-cook/97786974/

Last edited:
The refs have struggled in many BIG games this year so it's not just you Jok. Man up and stop the complaining.

Reactions: Mitjacks
Unfortunately thats become the recipe with Iowa'a big scoring guards, just like Utoff last year. Get physical with them, as much as allowed. This is why its so important to have multiple scoring threats, instead of one main go to guy which has been Frans MO since Gatens. I think we'll see a change next year, where the scoring will come from all over the court, in a more free flowing offense. Basically what happened the two games Jok was out.

And I don't think it helps Jok that he is constantly throwing up his hands or falling down anytime there is any contact. Officials get tired of this whining too. It is like the NFL wide receivers who ask for an interference call every time they don't make the catch. And don't be a shiner like Cam either.
Has basketball gotten more physical, yes without a doubt, and it needs to get cleaned up. They have tried some by the arm bar situation in post defense, but more needs to be done.

That's the problem with the 6-6 to 6-9 wings. They are all string beans and break on contact. Jok has to be stronger with the ball and move more and set his guys up.

Jok moves great at times and then takes 1-2 possessions off.

I suspect more to the story. I suspect Teddy V. received serious and credible threats about working an Iowa game again.

Cripes it's hard to read this board sometimes.

You know it's going to happen before the game. You see it with your own eyes during the game. A player actually says so after the game.

And then these responses...........

That's why College Basketball gets away with this bullcrud!

By the way, don't pretend Jok's weak. Last year after Ferrell tripped him and tried to land on top of Jok in what could be described as an elbow drop? I saw Jok catch Ferrell by the torso and bench press/throw him about five feet!

It sucks we could be watching a kid vie for an All-American spot and a team still battling for an NCAA spot...........but we aren't in a big television market. So we get to see players being mauled and if we do it we get to see players foul out.

Well said, DanL53. This is standard MSU style. Jok is simply telling the truth. You don't like the truth? Then you have a friend in Washington at least. :rolleyes:

Mugging is not basketball. Some of you posters should come down to the rec center and play sometime. I'll show you exactly what Jok's talking about because you obviously have no freakin' idea. It'll be fun...for me.:D

This is nothing new. That's been MSU's MO since Izzo has been there. The refs aren't going to foul everyone out so play really physical to begin the game and eventually they'll stop calling things. This strategy works and I'm surprised more coaches don't do it. College refs really need to take a year and enforce the freedom of movement rules, especially on the peremeter. Call all those fouls, foul out teams, do what you need to do to let it be known that it's no longer tolerated. College basketball will be better off in the end.

Eron Harris was a transfer from West Virginia if I'm not mistaken. So he learned from the best. Bob Huggins teams have always been known extremely physical play. When you watch them play team defense, you'd swear they could call a foul every trip down the floor. MSU very similar.

I thought Jok did a super job of creating opportunity for his teammates and finding the open man. His assists were spectacular, and he doesn't get much credit for that. I would say he is with getting bumped more or he just isnt getting the elevation on his shots that he was earlier in the year. He's hurt/wore down. I thought the comparison of his stroke to Reggie Miller is spot on, that is why I think Jok has an NBA career. I'm just hoping he had a Luke Recker type BTT. I think he is capable.

Then figure out what you can get away with and give it right back to them.

Wagner and others could have been grabbing and holding Bridges all night. Do things to get under the opposing players skin so they retaliate.
If the B1G wants full contact ball then give it to them. And if they suddenly start getting whistle happy then I'd have no problem with Fran getting T'ed up a time or two. Have Barta lay the pressure on Delaney and the B1G office behind the scenes.

I don't want to see more mugging basketball, but the only way to change that may be to give them a taste of what basketbrawl looks like when everyone decides to join in.

Jok committed at least 10 fouls on Wednesday night. When they slapped that hard press on, I thought Iowa was playing football and getting away with it.

Someone should ask Jok about this.

We all see what we see.

Two seasons ago, all the Big Ten (and the refs) could talk about was allowing freedom of movement and calling all the grabbing and pushing. Remember how ticked off Izzo got when his team wasn't allowed to play their brand of thug ball? Well, that's all water down the drain now, especially for Jok, who I've said before on these boards, get knocked around more than any "star" player in the league. Can you imagine the uproar if Melo were manhandled like Jok is?

Basketball, unfortunately, has become a very physical sport, but it does have rules and until they enforce the rules equally for all teams, there will be a hierarchy of teams that play with a commanding advantage using a separate set of rules.

Reactions: Ree4 and hawk-i bob
Cripes it's hard to read this board sometimes.

You know it's going to happen before the game. You see it with your own eyes during the game. A player actually says so after the game.

And then these responses...........

That's why College Basketball gets away with this bullcrud!

By the way, don't pretend Jok's weak. Last year after Ferrell tripped him and tried to land on top of Jok in what could be described as an elbow drop? I saw Jok catch Ferrell by the torso and bench press/throw him about five feet!

It sucks we could be watching a kid vie for an All-American spot and a team still battling for an NCAA spot...........but we aren't in a big television market. So we get to see players being mauled and if we do it we get to see players foul out.

Thanks Dan for this post...spot on and I've been saying this for weeks and right after the Nebby game at Carver.about how teams are physically abusing way beyond just hand checking, grabbing than holding, bumping and tripping Peter and it's bull crap refs do not call the fouls :mad: and the only thing left to do that opposing Ds haven't done to Peter is to tie his shoe laces together...... as I said before and I'll say it gain...clean is clean and a foul is a foul.

Like you said, it's right there in front, clear as the picture or day/night game for anyone to see watching the game and anyone who can't see this is just trolling Peter or the Iowa Hawkeyes...

Call the damn fouls and call TOs and the foot out of bounce too while you are at it.....:mad:

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Unfortunately thats become the recipe with Iowa'a big scoring guards, just like Utoff last year. Get physical with them, as much as allowed. This is why its so important to have multiple scoring threats, instead of one main go to guy which has been Frans MO since Gatens. I think we'll see a change next year, where the scoring will come from all over the court, in a more free flowing offense. Basically what happened the two games Jok was out.

Jok dished out 8 assist and their are multiple scoring threats for this team, one of them just wasn't hitting last night in JoBo. Also, Moss wasn't on last night and he still continues to settle for jumpers in the half court vs getting to the hoop and line. If he was more aggressive at getting to the tin in the half court like he is in transition (like he was against MN) then this team would be even that much better. Hope it clicks for him soon.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
This is nothing new. That's been MSU's MO since Izzo has been there. The refs aren't going to foul everyone out so play really physical to begin the game and eventually they'll stop calling things. This strategy works and I'm surprised more coaches don't do it. College refs really need to take a year and enforce the freedom of movement rules, especially on the peremeter. Call all those fouls, foul out teams, do what you need to do to let it be known that it's no longer tolerated. College basketball will be better off in the end.

Not much to add to this, although maybe when some of these accidental fouls that are called really are intentional, maybe they need to call a few of those early and often during the game. Now, go ahead Izzo and let the fouls begin.

If you watch a replay, you will see the reason that Jbo wasn't hitting. I was watching him specifically in the 2nd half. He looked like a pinball, especially when he didn't have the ball in his hands. I would guess that was his first experience with that type of defense.

And from what I could tell, there was no way to try to recreate that defense on the other end. It looked like the Hawks were trying to match that physicality, but every time they did it was a foul.

I predict this freshmen group will be strong enough to defeat it by their junior years, similar to what we saw out of last year's group.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: Ree4
If you watch a replay, you will see the reason that Jbo wasn't hitting. I was watching him specifically in the 2nd half. He looked like a pinball, especially when he didn't have the ball in his hands. I would guess that was his first experience with that type of defense.

And from what I could tell, there was no way to try to recreate that defense on the other end. It looked like the Hawks were trying to match that physicality, but every time they did it was a foul.

I predict this freshmen group will be strong enough to defeat it by their junior years, similar to what we saw out of last year's group.

Go Hawks!

It takes a lot of practice to play defense like MSU does. Izzo has turned it almost into an art, all that grabbing/shoving/pulling/bumping while using your body to shield the refs from seeing it takes a lot of practice. So when a team like Iowa attempts to get physical back its going to turn into a foul because they are not able to hide it as well. It also doesn't help that Refs are used to seeing a physical defense played by MSU so when a team like Iowa tries to do it in a middle of a game they will play closer attention.

Teddy V has not refereed an Iowa basketball game in FOUR YEARS!!!! Have you missed Teddy V over these last 4 years?

From HawkCentral.com on that and on the way Michigan State plays defense:

“I think they’re [Michigan State] playing illegal defense on me, to be honest,” Jok said after being held to 13 points on 2-for-11 shooting. “They’re just grabbing me, doing whatever it takes, like a football game out there.”

Michigan State has a reputation of playing a physical style of basketball. Iowa fans will never forget the way the Spartans were allowed to rough up their guards in the 2013 Big Ten Tournament. (It was so egregious that referee Ted Valentine hasn't been allowed to work an Iowa conference game since.)

Jok just thought on Saturday they got away with too much.

“I expect it by now. I feel like everybody is going to keep playing like that,” Jok said. “I just wish the referee would watch me the whole time. I think they’re playing illegal defense on me sometimes. Just grabbing me.”

Michigan State threw waves of defenders to limit Jok’s ability to find open space, as he is prone to do with nine games this season of 25-plus points.

Seniors Alvin Ellis III and Eron Harris were the predominant Jok defenders.

“Those seniors might have won us the game by the defense they played on Jok,” Spartans coach Tom Izzo said, “because he was unbelievable (28 points) at Minnesota.”

The whole story: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...peter-jok-defense-injury-tyler-cook/97786974/

Funny thing after the Minnesota game friend was saying worst officiated game he's seen. Then I brought up the Sparty 13' Big 10 tourney game and he was like well 2nd worst game he's seen. Worst part of that game was Iowa was on bubble and could have been game to put them over the top.

Be interesting to see once Izzo leaves how much msu will still be allowed to play that way. Even if one of his disciples take over still not the same coach.

Someone on ESPN (I think Bilas) spoke about this a couple of years and how teams like MSU are teaching kids to foul with their hips. The refs don't call that as much as they do grabbing and holding. Look for that next time you watch MSU.

I thought the comparison of his stroke to Reggie Miller is spot on, that is why I think Jok has an NBA career. I'm just hoping he had a Luke Recker type BTT. I think he is capable.

Comparing Jok to Reggie Miller, one of the best and most clutch shooters in NBA history is more than a bit of a stretch.

If you watched the old Knicks/Pacers series, now that was mugging.

Comparing Jok to Reggie Miller, one of the best and most clutch shooters in NBA history is more than a bit of a stretch.

If you watched the old Knicks/Pacers series, now that was mugging.
I always love people who like to conflate an equivalent with a comparison. The two can be similar in respects without being equal. Nothing like stating the obvious. No one is saying Jok is as nearly as good as Miller.

I'm glad you love my conflating.

Honestly I couldn't find the original comparison, so I may have over stated the obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT