ADVERTISEMENT

JONES back to DL.

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
On the new IOWA spring roster, Logan appears back to the DL instead of C. With Graves that would give us some nasty DT's for the future. Might make sense with the arrival of Feth at C and his experience as a 5th year player. We shall see in two days if this change is accurate. 😎❤️🏈

On the new IOWA spring roster, Logan appears back to the DL instead of C. With Graves that would give us some nasty DT's for the future. Might make sense with the arrival of Feth at C and his experience as a 5th year player. We shall see in two days if this change is accurate. 😎❤️🏈
They must have finally reviewed the tape from the year and realized the snapping issue did not get any better as the season progressed. That didn’t get enough attention from the media in my opinion really messed up the timing on a lot of their plays.

Yes, but we were told over and over that he’s going to be a great Center eventually. I don’t think he had it in between his ears to play center.
Or they had no one else. Britt went down, they went after Oluwatimi to no avail. Myslinski apparently wasn't ready, so why shit all over the only player even remotely capable? Thankfully, they garnered a transfer this year, and another year on Myslinski

Or they had no one else. Britt went down, they went after Oluwatimi to no avail. Myslinski apparently wasn't ready, so why shit all over the only player even remotely capable? Thankfully, they garnered a transfer this year, and another year on Myslinski
It’s entirely possible, after watching him play, that he didn’t have it “between the ears” as the other poster said.

That’s hardly “shitting” all over him, IMO.

Softy.

Well I feel my post from earlier today aged well. Jones was not a good center and now he's not a center. That is another position where we had a good recruit in Mylinski and brought in an experienced center. That seems like Iowa has very much upgrading another major problem position last season.

This move increases my confidence that the Iowa offense will double its scoring output. That's the offense, not the total team scoring average. Just offensive scoring.

Reactions: Mister Plow
That's probably how I would interpret it ... unless he just really doesn't like playing on the OL.
Part of what makes me somewhat skeptical about any mention of Jones getting moved back to DL are:
  • We don't have a lot of guys who can play C during spring camp. It doesn't make sense to have a guy move during the spring when we don't have many to begin with.
  • We are looking increasingly deep on the DL ... particularly at DT. With "proven" guys like Shannon, Lee, Black, and Graves ... and with other guys like Pittman and Thompson ... that seems like a group of DTs that are 6-guys strong. This doesn't even count the fact that Allen got work at DT last season ... and we have new guys like Brackney and Borcherding-Johnson who both project to DT.

great move. lj did what he was asked, he’s back where belongs on a nasty DL. ilike this about turn and not persisting with a failed experiment for too long. should’ve done this with petras last year.

edit: if it’s an error too bad. i thought we recruited a portal center.

I was going to say that Myslinski is finally living up to his potential and with a year behind feth we're set for a few years anyway.

• Wow
Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
It’s entirely possible, after watching him play, that he didn’t have it “between the ears” as the other poster said.

That’s hardly “shitting” all over him, IMO.

Softy.
Center is hard to play. You’re the one calling out the protection and the captain of the oline. A lot going on. It’s not for everybody. I suspect that’s part of why he was late on snaps as much as he was.

Given that Iowa is a developmental program - I absolutely don't understand why fans are throwing Jones under the bus. Without question he struggled ... but it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't improve. Given Iowa's developmental track-record developing O-linemen ... I think that it's way too premature to be selling guys short.

I remember thinking that Raf Eubanks was overwhelmed and looked pretty bad at C for us ... early in his career. However, by the time he was a veteran, he ended up playing pretty well.

Guys improve. At Iowa players rarely arrive as finished products ... they need to get built up. It's an investment by all parties involved ... but the finished product is generally pretty good.

As I've alluded before ... I'd expect Feth to start in 2023 ... however, I think that Mylinksi and Jones will both be competing hard to get the spot in '24.

We got Brian Ferentz not only out here leading our offense but developing defense lineman and people want him to leave?!?

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Did they have another option?..get a clue.
Elsbury for one. Or teach any of the other lineman how to snap a ball. Myslynski was available by mid-season. Or hit the portal before last year. A lot options.

Regardless, my point was he was talked up as though he was going to great there and now they’re giving up?

Elsbury for one. Or teach any of the other lineman how to snap a ball. Myslynski was available by mid-season. Or hit the portal before last year. A lot options.

Regardless, my point was he was talked up as though he was going to great there and now they’re giving up?
If and butts...its what they decided and it didn't work put. Now im sure all your life decisions are always right! On top of that where's the KF is too stubborn to make changes morons? He admitted it didn't work and is CHANGING and moving on...but no cred for that from the moron hate hate hate lovers!

Elsbury..u mean the guy they wasn't good enough to beat out a converted DLINEMAN?

Reactions: Mister Plow
Part of what makes me somewhat skeptical about any mention of Jones getting moved back to DL are:
  • We don't have a lot of guys who can play C during spring camp. It doesn't make sense to have a guy move during the spring when we don't have many to begin with.
  • We are looking increasingly deep on the DL ... particularly at DT. With "proven" guys like Shannon, Lee, Black, and Graves ... and with other guys like Pittman and Thompson ... that seems like a group of DTs that are 6-guys strong. This doesn't even count the fact that Allen got work at DT last season ... and we have new guys like Brackney and Borcherding-Johnson who both project to DT.
it only takes about 1 offseason to learn the center position, in college i came in as a DT moved to LT freshman year & then moved to center the next offseason & played every snap at Center the next three years

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
We got Brian Ferentz not only out here leading our offense but developing defense lineman and people want him to leave?!?
You don't get that Kirk is the dude who moved Jones to Center because it worked out with Linderbaum. That is 100% Kirk Ferentz. Does Brian then get credit for Linderbaum?

it only takes about 1 offseason to learn the center position, in college i came in as a DT moved to LT freshman year & then moved to center the next offseason & played every snap at Center the next three years
Good on you! Of course, notice that you had pretty much a full year to get down OL-fundamentals before moving over to C.

I've seen guys come in to the Iowa program with a pure-OL background ... but then take YEARS to unlearn bad habits that they've picked up in high school. That's maybe why Iowa has had so much luck with developing guys with little OL-experience into NFL-caliber O-linemen.

Another thing is that different folks develop at different rates. Again, a transition that was easy to you ... it might take more time for someone else. Folks on the high-end of the aptitude scale may pick things up quick ... but others, like the Jack Plumb's of the world ... they might never truly "get it" ... at least in terms of translating knowledge to consistent play on the field.

I honestly don't know where Logan Jones falls into this spectrum ... however, he DID show clear signs of being a bit overwhelmed. Thus, that points more to the challenge of putting everything together ... as opposed to just lacking the acumen/ability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT