ADVERTISEMENT

Just Went To A Local Wal-Mart

Mar 14, 2003
Dropped a little over $300. Not because I wanted to, but I felt I had to due to everybody else going nuts.

They were completed out of TP, Tylenol, Ramen Noodles, and about 90% out of soap and rice.

KU6SDda.gif

We're gonna be swimming in cheap TP and all this other stuff getting bought in stockpile fashion by the pallets once the PANIC SHOPPING!! slows down.

Sad thing is my daughter is out of toilet paper. We are going to have to give her a few rolls.

Walmart is the number one cause for the decline of the middle class and the demise of retail in small town America.

What is sacred about a local yokel sitting in a shop all day waiting for someone to come in?
Retail has to be nearest the bottom of 'value added' work.

Unfortunately. Freaking Celebrity cancelled all of their cruises and have clients in San Juan ready to board tomorrow. Now have to get them situated until they can get home.
Oh you're not really sober. My pic just increased some blood flow in some places and you just feel a little more alert and stuff. Just stop looking at it and you'll soon feel buzzed again.

Reactions: 3boysmom
you are so fake

I went to my local Fareway and Walmart about the same time last night. Full size WM in SW CR. Both were rather chaotic.

It look like the WM grocery section had been looted, and I had gotten there maybe an hour after the looting occurred. Kinda like the calm after the storm, "too late" shoppers wandering around picking through what was left.

The canned foods aisle, the frozen veggies section, most all the cheese, rice and noodles section, TP and paper towels aisles, breakfast cereal, bread, all canned soup...all picked clean empty. I remember seeing a father with his roughly 8 year old son - on the phone saying to apparently his wife "looks like we're not having corn either. There is no corn, no veggies...the shelves are empty".

The Fareway was the busiest I had ever seen it, over a decade of going there. They were decently stocked, but every cart was in use and there were some empty aisle spots here and there (I was there for only a couple "Friday only" deals). The meat counter was jam packed, didn't even try - I would have waited a good 20 minutes, maybe 50 people deep.

Damndest thing I've ever seen. Crazy...

Reactions: Fan In Black
You must not be old enough to remember what retail was like before Walmart.

I am.
I have childhood memories of selecting my xmas wishlist from the Sears catalog.
Last year I got a lot my kids xmas and birthday haul from aliexpress.
Doesn't change my observation regarding retail.

I am.
I have childhood memories of selecting my xmas wishlist from the Sears catalog.
Last year I got a lot my kids xmas and birthday haul from aliexpress.
Doesn't change my observation regarding retail.
Your observations are wrong. Retail created more middle class jobs then any other occupation before Walmart. Even Sears paid a decent wage back in the day unlike Walmart today.

I'm good. A freezer full of meat and frozen veggies. If it gets worse I have a couple of gun safes full of firearms and ammo, plus enough deer on my property to feed me and my neighbors for months.

Your observations are wrong. Retail created more middle class jobs then any other occupation before Walmart. Even Sears paid a decent wage back in the day unlike Walmart today.

I’m not questioning the value of those jobs at some point in the past, I’m pointing out today that a lot of the things that a retail employee could do for a customer are done by software.
Blacksmith was a decent wage at some point too, but I’m bemoaning their current economic status.
Consumer prefers the new way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT