ADVERTISEMENT

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'

I heard Iowa State offered one free buffet per week at Hickory Park.

5sE.gif

It’s funny he commits to Iowa saying other schools offered more (came down to bama and Iowa this summer) and $ didn’t matter. then flips to Bama and says that Iowa was offering more. Yeah call me crazy too when I’m not believing everything he says.
I like how certain media outlets are running with this as well, taking Proctor's word for it without knowing the facts............

Time to let it go fellas. I have lost some trophy fish in my lifetime and it stings for awhile then you refocus and try for another one.
Excellent analogy Gunner, though I would argue losing a trophy fish hurts more (and lingers much longer) than being jilted by a 17/18 year-old narcissist. Life goes on. Go Hawks!

No Adolph, all is well untill asshats try to tell me how to post.
You seem to carry a lot of anger. Must be fun hanging out with you.
Does it change anything grinding your gears over Proctor flipping to Alabama.
If he sees this will it change his mind? Do you really like being upset about this?

Time to let it go fellas. I have lost some trophy fish in my lifetime and it stings for awhile then you refocus and try for another one.
This. Nothing will change his mind and getting upset and grinding your gears won't change things.
The coaches have probably let it go and moved on to the next player in line hoping to find another trophy as you say.

This is a good recruiting lesson for Iowa though. Certain high-end prospects are likely going to try to play this game in the future - basically fishing for a really big offer by claiming the kid wants to play only for Iowa and then pressing other NIL collectives to go a big percentage higher to gain their services. Iowa is going to need more than one basket to put all of their eggs in the future.

Done discussing this particular recruit,.. But Iowa staff needs to go back to the "no visit after commit" rule that KF used to employ,. You commit, we commit,.. you visit, we move on.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
Done discussing this particular recruit,.. But Iowa staff needs to go back to the "no visit after commit" rule that KF used to employ,. You commit, we commit,.. you visit, we move on.
Its more - assume a highly recruited guy isn't going to sign until he does. I don't think moving on at that stage is necessarily the right thing to do. We won't have a very good team if all we do is sign guys that don't have other good options on the table.

One thing that may help here is that I expect there will be some normalization or equalization for these budgets that collectives have. My guess is that more of the money will be set aside early rather than later in the cycle, similar to the NFL where teams usually sign higher demand/bigger contract players first. I also expect that the early signing period will be changed too - either going away or going much earlier in the cycle. Will be interesting to see the changes and how donors and collectives spend cash.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Its more - assume a highly recruited guy isn't going to sign until he does. I don't think moving on at that stage is necessarily the right thing to do. We won't have a very good team if all we do is sign guys that don't have other good options on the table.

One thing that may help here is that I expect there will be some normalization or equalization for these budgets that collectives have. My guess is that more of the money will be set aside early rather than later in the cycle, similar to the NFL where teams usually sign higher demand/bigger contract players first. I also expect that the early signing period will be changed too - either going away or going much earlier in the cycle. Will be interesting to see the changes and how donors and collectives spend cash.

I'm not talking about the signing, I'm talking about the verbal commitment phase,.. As I see it it's more of a trust issue than anything else,.. If they commit, we commit,... If we can't trust them at this phase of the process we probably can't trust them in the locker room either.

I like how certain media outlets are running with this as well, taking Proctor's word for it without knowing the facts............
Do you mean as opposed to the Iowa message board facts? This is where I come to get factual information as well. Well, here and Facebook.

Looking at the exploits of Tristan Wirfs and Tyler Linderbaum ... when both guys get to their 2nd contracts ... they're going to be making an absolute killing!

As others have rightly mentioned ... this was little more than a quick grab for the biggest bag of cash.

As in many cases ... the decision seems more linked to short-term gain than looking to the long-term pay-off.

I've mentioned this several times before ... but just look at what Piersbacher did at Alabama ... he had a really nice college career ... got himself some collegiate championship rings to boot ... however, at the end of the day, his former high school QB ... Ike Boettger is earning more in the NFL than he was!

Looking at Proctor ... he's going to be getting his bag of cash ... and 'Bama is always going to be in the picture for the CFP ... for as long as Saban is there. However, what will this imply for his (Proctor's) long term development? What ...? A replay of Piersbacher maybe? Hell ... I remember when Alabama got another 5-star OL in Cyrus Kouandjio ... a guy who was really impressive out of De Matha High School (Md). Hell ... Boettger's out-earned him too!

Looking to a longer term ...

Marshall Yanda - over $70 million in career earnings!
Bryan Bulaga - over $65 million in career earnings!
Riley Reiff - roughly $70 million in career earnings!
Brandon Scherff - already over $80 million in career earnings!

And, of course, odds are that Wirfs could ultimately see his earnings outpace Scherff! (in his short career ... he's already over $12 million)

If he (Proctor) was really concerned about money ... he should have "settled" for the place that would help to maximize his development. That is called ... investing in yourself!

Looking at the exploits of Tristan Wirfs and Tyler Linderbaum ... when both guys get to their 2nd contracts ... they're going to be making an absolute killing!

As others have rightly mentioned ... this was little more than a quick grab for the biggest bag of cash.

As in many cases ... the decision seems more linked to short-term gain than looking to the long-term pay-off.

I've mentioned this several times before ... but just look at what Piersbacher did at Alabama ... he had a really nice college career ... got himself some collegiate championship rings to boot ... however, at the end of the day, his former high school QB ... Ike Boettger is earning more in the NFL than he was!

Looking at Proctor ... he's going to be getting his bag of cash ... and 'Bama is always going to be in the picture for the CFP ... for as long as Saban is there. However, what will this imply for his (Proctor's) long term development? What ...? A replay of Piersbacher maybe? Hell ... I remember when Alabama got another 5-star OL in Cyrus Kouandjio ... a guy who was really impressive out of De Matha High School (Md). Hell ... Boettger's out-earned him too!

Looking to a longer term ...

Marshall Yanda - over $70 million in career earnings!
Bryan Bulaga - over $65 million in career earnings!
Riley Reiff - roughly $70 million in career earnings!
Brandon Scherff - already over $80 million in career earnings!

And, of course, odds are that Wirfs could ultimately see his earnings outpace Scherff! (in his short career ... he's already over $12 million)

If he (Proctor) was really concerned about money ... he should have "settled" for the place that would help to maximize his development. That is called ... investing in yourself!
I am not an Alabama fan so I do not know, nor am I interested in how their lineman have performed and how much they have made in the NFL. However, for your argument to have at least some validity, you should probably provide a comparison.

You could start by evaluating how many offensive lineman from each class make the NFL and how much they have earned throughout their career for each team. If your analysis is correct (which it might be, I don’t know), the teams should be roughly equal or Iowa to show increased earnings.

Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT