ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State vs. Iowa Comparison

Creighton has much better resources than Iowa basketball and it’s not even close. Look at where Creighton plays it’s home games and it’s new practice facility. I mean I know as Iowa fans we try and spin Carver as some great arena, when it’s really just old and outdated. As far as recruiting, wasn’t Iowa’s expenditure on basketball recruiting shockingly low? Don’t know what the budget was. Anyone that thinks Iowa has more or better basketball resources than a Creighton, Villanova, or Gonzaga just because they don’t have power 5 football, doesn’t know how it works.
So your saying top players would rather play vs Big East competition on Big East broadcasts vs BigTen competition broadcast widely on the BigTen Network

lets be realistic, it’s not about the practice facility, it’s about the competition and stature, and a recruit shire doesn’t care about the recruiting budget,

So your saying top players would rather play vs Big East competition on Big East broadcasts vs BigTen competition broadcast widely on the BigTen Network

lets be realistic, it’s not about the practice facility, it’s about the competition and stature, and a recruit shire doesn’t care about the recruiting budget,
I think that to many city recruits the BIG is more of a Midwest rural league while the BIG East is an urban league.
Not sure BTN is seen as better than the FoxSports tv package which does virtually every league game.
The BIG East is strictly a BB league.
Some recruits probably like that.

Reactions: littlez

This is a horrible take. The biggest Big Ten games are on Fox and Fox Sports 1, rarely CBS. The lower profile games are on BTN. All Big East Games are on Fox or Fox Sports 1 or 2. Big East is a better league than the Big Ten right now in my opinion. Three of the 8 elite eight teams were from the Big East, not including the conference and tourney champion. If you don’t think facilities play into a recruits mind, you don’t know basketball.

I believe FA is a 9 seed
That’s the point. Fran apologists say they lost to a 9 seed. Who cares. If they beat Florida Atlantic last night and lose in final four then they say they lost to a five or six seed. Completely discounting the fact they’re in the final four.

Iowa needs more transfers.

SDSU, Miami, Uconn, Texas all teams of transfers.
There are also plenty of teams with transfers who didn't do so well. It's not the transers, per se, but getting the right kind of players. If Fran transfers in the same kind of player he has...it won't make much diff.

Even Brauns would be a good start, we need some strength inside.

Last edited:
So Iowa athletics can just perform on a middle of the pack acceptance and all is good? Really sad.
I would say that's pretty much correct. Iowa lives in sports purgatory. Not good enough to win anything of significance, but not bad enough to justify firing people.

This is a horrible take. The biggest Big Ten games are on Fox and Fox Sports 1, rarely CBS. The lower profile games are on BTN. All Big East Games are on Fox or Fox Sports 1 or 2. Big East is a better league than the Big Ten right now in my opinion. Three of the 8 elite eight teams were from the Big East, not including the conference and tourney champion. If you don’t think facilities play into a recruits mind, you don’t know basketball.
The BigTen is going to be coast to coast, and will be seen my more eyeballs, thru entire nation,
this year the BE much better, that doesn’t mean it’s a better league to play in.
all games broadcast , the League has more TV sets, = more exposure,

I didn’t say facilities don’t play into recruits minds, only that its not why they choose a school, it’s a minor point, no bus is saying I’m going to,play at creighton beacuse of the practice Facilities (maybe I’m wrong, if so, please document all those cases)

The BigTen is going to be coast to coast, and will be seen my more eyeballs, thru entire nation,
this year the BE much better, that doesn’t mean it’s a better league to play in.
all games broadcast , the League has more TV sets, = more exposure,

I didn’t say facilities don’t play into recruits minds, only that its not why they choose a school, it’s a minor point, no bus is saying I’m going to,play at creighton beacuse of the practice Facilities (maybe I’m wrong, if so, please document all those cases)
Look at the coaches in the Big East. Now, I’m talking coaching only. Not whether you think they cheat, etc. it’s really really good. Adding Pitino now in NYC at St John’s. McD at Creighton. Shaka at Marquette. Dan Hurley at UConn. Sean Miller at Xavier. Cooley at Providence is a helluva coach and now he’s going to G Town. They’ve been waiting for the right coach.
Besides Izzo, who’s a coach you fear in the Big Ten these days? Painter? I think he’s a really good coach but you can’t lose 3 years in a row to an 11, 15 and 16 seed. We’ve got some good coaches but we need younger hungrier coaches.

Reactions: KcTo
I hate to break it to all year but Manhattan and Iowa City are both in the middle of nowhere.
one in middle of the Flint Hills, and one in the middle of corn fields.
Not exactly true…I’ve been to both towns and Iowa City has a nearby larger city (Cedar Rapids) and Des Moines is only 1.5 hours away. Manhattan, KS doesn’t have any nearby larger cities, other than Topeka (a dive city) located an hour away.

• Haha
Reactions: KcTo
I mean this with all due respect, all of those things you listed really aren't that important. They've had better coaches than Iowa or ISU in that time, and that's why they've had more success.
Agreed.

Look at the coaches in the Big East. Now, I’m talking coaching only. Not whether you think they cheat, etc. it’s really really good. Adding Pitino now in NYC at St John’s. McD at Creighton. Shaka at Marquette. Dan Hurley at UConn. Sean Miller at Xavier. Cooley at Providence is a helluva coach and now he’s going to G Town. They’ve been waiting for the right coach.
Besides Izzo, who’s a coach you fear in the Big Ten these days? Painter? I think he’s a really good coach but you can’t lose 3 years in a row to an 11, 15 and 16 seed. We’ve got some good coaches but we need younger hungrier coaches.
Penn State and N’Western have good coaches; however, I don’t think the Penn State coach will be there too long.

Valid point.

Not sure the ratio is 10:1...I guess it depends on what you are measuring. Getting a Tang that
turns around a team in 1 year is probably a 10% hit rate...getting a guy that ultimately can provide
same or more upside than Fran...I think the odds are a lot better than 10%

Since the 1970 Iowa itself has had
Miller---won Big 10 Title,
Schultz--awful--plug pulled quickly
Olson-- won Big Ten title, Ncaa final 4
Raveling--so so record, awesome recruiter
Davis -- Good, Elite8 but with Raveling players
Alford --- So so, around 0.500 in B1G if you count BTT
Lickliter-- awful--plug pulled quickly
FRan - solid/slightly above average in B1G win%, Similar to Davis but low ceiling

4/8 hires were good to great (Miller, Olson, Davis, Fran)
2/8 hires were awful (schultz, lickliter) but they were fired quickly

Alford was mediocre, Raveling was underrated because if he'd stayed he
would have likely won a lot of games with the talent he had assembled.

The Chances of a terrible hire are maybe 25%
Solid to Great: 50%

I would take another Raveling if it led to an Elite8 level of falent.

I could live with the sweatsuit again.

KSU has now lost eight straight elite 8 games. Crazy stat. Would be fun having the opportunity to lose 8 straight.

As Kansas State advanced to the Sweet 16, I'm trying to see what advantages they have over Iowa for men's basketball

1) College town atmosphere -- I would certainly rate Iowa City over Manhattan (the "little apple")
2) State population -- Iowa has a greater population than Kansas
3) Basketball talent in the state -- Advantage to the state of Iowa
4) Access to urban areas -- Iowa is closer to Chicago and St. Louis. K-State is closer to Kansas City
5) Competition in state -- while Iowa State has had a stronger program than Iowa in 21st century, K-State is the little brother to a true college blue blood (Kansas)
Secondary competition in state -- Wichita State has made it to a Final Four in the 21st century, ahead of UNI who has made it to a Sweet 16
6) Conference difficulty -- I will say this varies year to year, but overall comparable in the 21st century between Big 12 and Big 10
7) Big money donors -- Hard to see that Iowa is at a major financial disadvantage versus K-State
8) Facilities -- K-State opened a new practice facility in 2012, Iowa opened a new practice facility in around the same time (in looking it up on Iowa website, it says renovation completed in 2011) -- call that a wash

Sweet 16s in 21st century -- 3 KSU, 0 Iowa
Elite 8s in 21st century 2 KSU (could be three if winning next game vs MSU), 0 Iowa

For some reason, Bruce Weber made the Elite 8 in 2018, but was not given a lifetime contract for that achievement. KSU coach is in his first year.

Curious for input as to the advantages that K-State has over Iowa that have resulted in the considerably better NCAA tournament success the Wildcats have had compared to the Hawkeyes in the 21st century.

Kansas recruits nationally not locally in KS or MO. The last few years they indeed have had local kids Gradey Dick and the kid fron Columbia. But my point is, KState can then get the local kids whereas Iowa is usually competing with ISU.

I have to disagree with you about the Big 10 and Big 12 being comparable. Are you freaking serious? The Big 12 has the last two national champions. The year before that was the covid year and Kansas was entering as the #1 overall seed. The year before that Texas Tech was in the national championship game. How the hell is the Big 10 comparable to that.

Not exactly true…I’ve been to both towns and Iowa City has a nearby larger city (Cedar Rapids) and Des Moines is only 1.5 hours away. Manhattan, KS doesn’t have any nearby larger cities, other than Topeka (a dive city) located an hour away.
LOL,

Manhattan 1.5 hours from Kansas City, and KC > DesMoines by huge margin.
Manhattan close to nearby city Lawrence, (w/ more going on than CR)

I’ve been to them all dozens of times, the equivalence stands, with KC being a significant upgrade compared to Des Moines

BE has some very good coaches, one coach that stands out is Fed Hoiberg, I think he’s an outstanding coach in the hell hole of Lincoln and shadow of NE football.

a big negative is Fran and his NCAA record.

there are pros and cons to both and I do appreciate your insights shared

Kansas recruits nationally not locally in KS or MO. The last few years they indeed have had local kids Gradey Dick and the kid fron Columbia. But my point is, KState can then get the local kids whereas Iowa is usually competing with ISU.

ISU signs very, very few kids from Iowa, and directly competes with Iowa for very few of them.. You have Biliew in 2023, Lipsey in 2022, then Foster in 2021, Brady Ernst in 2015. That's it in the last 15 years for commits and the offers are barely more than that, and I don't think even if they did extend an offer it probably really wasn't serious. For example, I highly doubt ISU recruited it's two offers in 2018 all that hard (Wieskamp and AJ Green).

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT