ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Guards

Fran prioritizes scoring over everything else. Since Gesell (and he even is a stretch) the only PG's he's had that can get past their defender and collapse the D in the paint is JoeT and Bowen.

JoeT and Bowen may not be great scorers but they get by their defender and themselves are good to great defenders. With that said about their lack of consistent scoring think about where they ended in the lineup.....
Yep, I've started to believe that Fran would rather have slow guys who can shoot over athletic players that aren't very good shots.

Thinking back, seems like every quick PG Fran has ever recruited gradually sees their playing time shrink, disappear... And then they transfer. Trey Dickerson, Ulis.. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some others. Is Bowen just the next example?

If Patrick doesn’t play or return next year, there are a whole lot of new minutes of non-McCaffrey boys playing time to distribute.

I

It's definitely the head coach. I wonder though who fans would think is the last great pg iowa has had? Horner 06, Oliver 01, Woodridge 97? That is a long time without a true great pg.
Although Iowa has struggled getting good point guards, JoBo statistically produced. Big time assist leader, 3 point shooter, and clutch money man for game winner. I think that Brock Harding will become a great guard too. His weaknesses are post defense and making shots. He can get his shot off just not connecting yet. His penetrating and dishing is off the charts.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
Although Iowa has struggled getting good point guards, JoBo statistically produced. Big time assist leader, 3 point shooter, and clutch money man for game winner. I think that Brock Harding will become a great guard too. His weaknesses are post defense and making shots. He can get his shot off just not connecting yet. His penetrating and dishing is off the charts.
I agree although I always saw Jbo more of an off guard then a true pg. He had the shot and the eye for passing but not that speed to get to the glass. I also agree with Harding could become very good or at least Gessel level.
While we have had some athletic pg they never seem to develop their game over the years like most schools tend to do with them. We all know Fran like to run a certain system but I have always found it weird that almost every other position develops under Fran but pg is never one of them.

Bohannon played liked six years. That assist leader comes with a mountain sized asterisk. He wasn’t clutch when it counted. Unless you count banking in three points in the big ten tournament. No points and non factor against Oregon in the tourney. Getting spun like a top so many times I lost count as Richmond guards just went backdoor for easy buckets. But he would have been fine with a point guard. Playing Cmac and him together was an absolute disaster.

Reactions: CarterHall
Bohannon played liked six years. That assist leader comes with a mountain sized asterisk. He wasn’t clutch when it counted. Unless you count banking in three points in the big ten tournament. No points and non factor against Oregon in the tourney. Getting spun like a top so many times I lost count as Richmond guards just went backdoor for easy buckets. But he would have been fine with a point guard. Playing Cmac and him together was an absolute disaster.
JBo was much less effective as an off guard. Never fully understood why that was.

Yep, I've started to believe that Fran would rather have slow guys who can shoot over athletic players that aren't very good shots.

Thinking back, seems like every quick PG Fran has ever recruited gradually sees their playing time shrink, disappear... And then they transfer. Trey Dickerson, Ulis.. I'm sure that I'm forgetting some others. Is Bowen just the next example?
The name of the game is to score points so wouldn't you want guys who can shoot? Just teach them how to play defense.

I couldn’t name any more. But I can sure name Matt Thomas, Lindell Wiggington, Monte Morris, Naz Long, Tyrese Halliburton, Dionte Burton, Deandre Kane, Shayok and probably a few other guards that are better than almost everyone Iowa has had at the position in the past decade.

Including Lipsey, 6 of those 9 were originally recruited to Iowa State. Not transfers.

You can ramble on all you want. I can remember JoBo winning MANY games with a closing seconds shot. That is simply a fact regardless of your piss poor memory. Stats speak for themselves with only a handful of additional games (injury after something like 12 games and shortened covid season)

1,000 Points and 400 Assists (7 total)

PlayerPointsAssists
1. Jordan Bohannon (2017-22)2,033704
2. B.J. Armstrong (1986-89)1,705517
3. Ronnie Lester (1977-80)1,675480
4. Dean Oliver (1998-2001)1,561561
5. Andre Woolridge (1995-97)1,525575
6. Jeff Horner (2003-06)1,502612

7. Mike Gesell (2013-16)

You can ramble on all you want. I can remember JoBo winning MANY games with a closing seconds shot. That is simply a fact regardless of your piss poor memory. Stats speak for themselves with only a handful of additional games (injury after something like 12 games and shortened covid season)

1,000 Points and 400 Assists (7 total)

PlayerPointsAssists
1. Jordan Bohannon (2017-22)2,033704
2. B.J. Armstrong (1986-89)1,705517
3. Ronnie Lester (1977-80)1,675480
4. Dean Oliver (1998-2001)1,561561
5. Andre Woolridge (1995-97)1,525575
6. Jeff Horner (2003-06)1,502612

7. Mike Gesell (2013-16)

Words aren’t really needed for those games. 🤷‍♂️ Sure he was clutch in games that didn’t matter. Never said he wasn’t.

Hey steamboat, the entire team sucked in those 2 games. Don't forget to "doctor" the career stat lines.
That’s too easy. One guy played for six years and the others played for four or three. That’s not even a discussion. Doctor that. So at a minimum he played one and half seasons more than anyone on that list!!!!

Reactions: CarterHall
That’s too easy. One guy played for six years and the others played for four or three. That’s not even a discussion. Doctor that. So at a minimum he played one and half seasons more than anyone on that list!!!!
Wrong again. The covid year (21) was shorted only a few games but his injury year (20) he only played 10 games. Trying to claimed that he played 6 seasons is not being honest here. He really played 5 years and about another 4 games more. Regardless, accumulating those very impressive stats along with the clutch shots to win so many games certainly makes him a great player. I would want another "Jabo" any day back at Iowa.

• Haha
Wrong again. The covid year (21) was shorted only a few games but his injury year (20) he only played 10 games. Trying to claimed that he played 6 seasons is not being honest here. He really played 5 years and about another 4 games more. Regardless, accumulating those very impressive stats along with the clutch shots to win so many games certainly makes him a great player. I would want another "Jabo" any day back at Iowa.
Bohannon played 179 games. Gesell played 134 and Horner played 123 both in four full seasons. You can spin that however you want to try. The fact of the matter is those stats are a longevity award, pure and simple. So he basically played a full two seasons worth of games more than Horner. Saying otherwise is not being honest.

He played for six years but actually played more like five and a half years, as mentioned above.

What's the point of any of this if we can't get past the 2nd round of the tourney? Fran has proven himself incapable of doing that. It's a f*cking joke. And it's largely due to the fact that all he seems to want to roster are long, skinny white shooters who look like his sons. Then we get into the tourney against good teams that have fast, physical athletes and we get annihilated. Iowa MBB is stuck where it is as long as Fran is the coach.

Time to give Fran the boot.
Don't care enough about basketball to get worked up about it though.

Capt Kirk on the other hand...
And yet you post on a basketball message board saying you don't care enough about basketball to get worked up about it. It looks to me like you care enough to show your displeasure of Fran. The season isn't over yet, but I'll be surprised if Fran calls it quits after the last basket is made for this year. There could be a ton of posters on here that will have to deal with the possibility of Fran staying for another year. Can't wait for the fallout and have a great offseason.

Bohannon played 179 games. Gesell played 134 and Horner played 123 both in four full seasons. You can spin that however you want to try. The fact of the matter is those stats are a longevity award, pure and simple. So he basically played a full two seasons worth of games more than Horner. Saying otherwise is not being honest.
Gesell 134 games = 8 per game average - 4.15 assists
Horner 123 games = 12.2 average 4.97 assists
Bohannon 174 games = 11.3 average 3.93 assists

How's that for spin. o_O

Gesell 134 games = 8 per game average - 4.15 assists
Horner 123 games = 12.2 average 4.97 assists
Bohannon 174 games = 11.3 average 3.93 assists

How's that for spin. o_O
Uhhhhh….. yea Mike G was a bad shooter. And it shows that Bohannon probably averaged less assists per game than everyone on the list, just reinforces my point.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT