ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk’s inability and/or unwillingness to recruit skill position players

He is the only coach I know of who enjoys turning FB's into full time RB's, and TE's into #1 WR's...he ABSOLUTELY hates to recruit great talent at the skill positions. He gets a bigger ego charge out of trying to coach up try hard guys, then removing some of the doubt and going after the best talent available....ISU has had better WR's then us for as far back as I can remember. Only at Iowa could a coach get away with this type of lazy recruiting for over two decades.
Good luck against TCU this wknd... bad spot for you guys

He is the only coach I know of who enjoys turning FB's into full time RB's, and TE's into #1 WR's...he ABSOLUTELY hates to recruit great talent at the skill positions. He gets a bigger ego charge out of trying to coach up try hard guys, then removing some of the doubt and going after the best talent available....ISU has had better WR's then us for as far back as I can remember. Only at Iowa could a coach get away with this type of lazy recruiting for over two decades.

Oh, he loves it. He loves working hard to not have great receivers! It's because, ultimately, Kirk Ferentz wants to lose. Every game. He hates winning. He hates the program. Hell, he even hates football. David Bell isn't in fact being recruited by Iowa. Neither were any of the other elite receivers that Iowa offered this year or in the past. And none of the elite RBs or QBs that they've offered during Ferentz's tenure were actually recruited either. It's all a smokescreen to make the fans believe that Kirk actually wants to be good. But, you weren't fooled, were you?

with a higher ceiling will hold this program back, as long as he’s in charge.

I understand. Time is valuable. Our head coach would rather spend his on prospects he feels we have a much higher percentage of signing. He’s stuck by that, and produced year after year of “solid football”.

This is as much as we’re going to get in return, though. You’ll never consistently keep pace with the upper echelon of the Big Ten by mining the rust belt for diamonds in the rough, and going head to head for fringe Power 5 prospects.

We’ve had this “aw shucks” mentality for so long, but the right person could bring those type of players here. With the right staff of recruiters, we ABSOLUTELY COULD go down to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida and take advantage of the insane amount of solid prospects who go overlooked.

We’ve played by the same mold for so long, and have seen our fair share of success with it - but these late game battles would fall our way so much more often if we had the ability to get the ball to playmakers when it mattered most.

All it takes is the right staff. I’ve been screaming this for years, and fully believe that bringing these type of kids into the program, while challenging, would be entirely possible with the right head man in charge.

I understand why KF doesn’t, and his reasons for not wanting to, but these results will never change until we find a way to lessen the gap between us and the rest of the marquee Big Ten teams when it comes to our perimeter athletes and how we use them in space.
I am sorry but this is so stupid. I bet u were waiting eagerly to bust this out when we lost our first game. Did you watch the game? Not a single reason you mentioned had anything to do with why we lost- not even remotely.

I agree KF(and his staff) haven't done enough to recruit skill positions, but you make it sound like there are no good players outside the SE.....there is plenty of talent in the NE as well as ohio, mi etc.

It is just hard to get guys you don't even offer.....
Often times, the top skill position players that are left, after MI, ND, Stanford and the other programs that can recruit based on talent and character, leaves the character pool a little lean. Kirk has gone after 4 star players and gotten burned a few times too many. One bad head case can ruin a recruiting class.

I am sorry but this is so stupid. I bet u were waiting eagerly to bust this out when we lost our first game. Did you watch the game? Not a single reason you mentioned had anything to do with why we lost- not even remotely.

I was waiting for milehigh to rush in and defend Kirk.

What part about my OP makes you think I was referencing reasons we got beat by Wisconsin?

This is more or less about the last twenty years.

Often times, the top skill position players that are left, after MI, ND, Stanford and the other programs that can recruit based on talent and character, leaves the character pool a little lean. Kirk has gone after 4 star players and gotten burned a few times too many. One bad head case can ruin a recruiting class.

Wow. What a great attitude.

You’re right, let’s just not recruit “four stars”. Too many head cases. :rolleyes:

I get so tired of watching all of the elite ISU receivers on Thursdays and Sundays. Seems every time I turn around an ISU guy is doing something amazing. You may want to check your comparison skills.

Melvin Gordon, Ron Dayne, taylor and deal look the part. PJ hill and John clay both had time in the NFL, John clay was actually drafted. Montee Ball was drafted in second round by the Denver Broncos. James White was drafted by the New England Patriots. Maybe now you have been enlightened enough to read the rest of my post.

Yeah and 90 percent of those guys did nothing and nobody remembers them. Again its like claiming Iowa puts a lot of QBs in the NFL.

------Ferentz knows going head to head with top programs takes a lot of time and effort.

20 years?

---------I guess you can put me in the boat as someone who'd rather have a coach/program with integrity than a coach that's willing to sell his soul to"just win baby".

Never confuse integrity with lazy recruiting and stubbornness to change.

-------- get so tired of watching all of the elite ISU receivers on Thursdays and Sundays. Seems every time I turn around an ISU guy is doing something amazing. You may want to check your comparison skills.

First of all, ISU isn't an NFL team....and if you don't think that ISU gets better WR's than us every year you are blind....much like they get better athletes than us in basketball. Or does that not count because they aren't in the NBA either?

Reactions: ChuckThomas12
I guess you can put me in the boat as someone who'd rather have a coach/program with integrity than a coach that's willing to sell his soul to "just win baby". Call me old school or dumb I guess, but I don't blame anyone not wanting to kiss some high school "superstar's" a** just to get them to come play football for me.
It isn’t one or the other

Melvin gordon. Thats one more than us right there
I'm guessing you're not smart enough to see the thread title of "unwillingness to recruit skill position players". He recruited Gordon.
Also for those arguing against KF recruiting skill position players, what does "skill" mean? We've put ample TE's in the NFL. Dbacks, LB's, and our last two QB's before Stanley (who will also be in the NFL). Personally, our current group of RB's are pretty good, Wadley, Daniels, Canzeri, Greene, Robinson, Wegher, Young, Coker, and Russell were all pretty damn good. Maybe you guys just mean "WR", and not "skill".

I would like to see Iowa look for more athleticism at QB. The pro-style pocket passer model which Stanley is needs to be really accurate and have time to throw. If we are limited at skill positions, especially WR why not have a guy who is a threat to run for a first down, move outside the pocket, and put a little pressure on the defense, keep the chains moving and our defense off the field. Over the years, the more athletic the QB the most success the team has had. I know that doesn't always fit the Iowa model.
I think I felt like most Iowa fans on the last drive in that I knew it was a long- long-shot for Stanley to drive down the field on that possession. Yes, the OSU game last year was glorious, but it was followed up by losing to Wisconsin despite the Interception returns for TD, then losing to Purdue and finishing 4-5 in conference in a year which had one of the most spectacular victories ever.
Overall, I am fine with the program. They do what they do, but would love to see them go from a 7-8 win team to a more consistent team that wins 9 or so regular season and makes a trip to Indy every 2 or 3 years. Thats just one notch better than where we are I think.

Iowa is a well coached team that took Penn State to the brink and smacked Ohio State last year. Screaming about not having enough great skill guys is like the dude sitting at a bar in Chicago griping that he doesn't have any supermodels on speed dial. Without Ferentz you might be subject to 2/3 win seasons during down years. The only way you will get elite skill guys vs upper echelon SEC or BIG teams is to take flyers on kids who the big guys won't touch.. Michigan State's Dantonio has built his career on these type of kids.. see Louisville/Baylor/Virginia Tech.. they do the same thing. Even if you play that greasy game the folks who make up your fan base probably won't accept it for long.

Look at Nebby, they took guys like Marlon Lucky from SoCal and bragged about it.. how'd that work out? Osborne used to run a penal colony in Lincoln. Play solid football with decent kids or cut a deal with the devil. Bet your bottom dollar that if Nebby gets a kid that USC or Oregon won't take they are in for a headache.

8-5 record is not average .
He averages 7-5 in a 12 game regular schedule, no one in the nation accounts for an assumed bowl game when talking about a coaches record. When playing 12 games KF is most likely to win 7, when they get the 13th game he has a slightly above .500 chance of getting his 8th win. KF is a 7-5 coach and would need to go better than 9-3 for the next 5 years to retire an 8-4 coach.

My favorite fallacy in the world is that Iowa would suddenly turn into a 3 win team if KF and crew were to ever go away. Since CFB has been thrust into the limelight we have always been a 7-5ish team yet the naysayers point to information from greater than 30 years ago as the source. Look how much different major CFB is now, look at the money, look at the fanbase. Iowa will never fall into the doldrums of Illinios because we care way more than they do and we dont have the fire at first sight/whiny fanbase reputation of Neb. There is a reason when an anonymous group of coaches were asked they mentioned KF as overrated and Iowa as a place where (paraphrasing) "many of us think we have a job where 7 or 8 wins would allows us to keep our job and grow, iowa appears to be one of the few places this is actually true" fwiw and to be fair, KF was also on the underrated list.

Yeah and 90 percent of those guys did nothing and nobody remembers them. Again its like claiming Iowa puts a lot of QBs in the NFL.
Kirk Ferentz has had 2 QBs drafted, a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder. Wisconsin has had 7 RBs drafted in that same time period, including 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. They are not even comparable.

The QBs have accumulated less than 1500 career passing yards.

The RBs have accumulated over 16000 combined rushing and receiving yards

Last edited:
I was waiting for milehigh to rush in and defend Kirk.

What part about my OP makes you think I was referencing reasons we got beat by Wisconsin?

This is more or less about the last twenty years.
Just coincidence this was posted after our first loss???? LOL. KF is iowa football buddy- don’t like him- you don’t like Iowa football IMO. Let’s see if u r still whining after 10+ wins this season and arguably our best roster ever next year if everybody comes back.

My favorite fallacy in the world is that Iowa would suddenly turn into a 3 win team if KF and crew were to ever go away. Since CFB has been thrust into the limelight we have always been a 7-5ish team yet the naysayers point to information from greater than 30 years ago as the source. Look how much different major CFB is now, look at the money, look at the fanbase. Iowa will never fall into the doldrums of Illinios because we care way more than they do and we dont have the fire at first sight/whiny fanbase reputation of Neb. There is a reason when an anonymous group of coaches were asked they mentioned KF as overrated and Iowa as a place where (paraphrasing) "many of us think we have a job where 7 or 8 wins would allows us to keep our job and grow, iowa appears to be one of the few places this is actually true" fwiw and to be fair, KF was also on the underrated list.
i dont ever remember seeing anyone post we WOULD turn into a 3 win team . people have posted that we COULD turn into a 3 win team . we dont have a whiny fan base ? what the hell are you doing ?

------It's not that we don't have playmakers, it's the offensive philosophy.

No, we don't have playmakers. Defenses do not have to respect us, because we never have the guys that can take it to the house on any given play...KF for whatever reason would rather have 4.9 40 TE's try and get deep and then try and Fran Tarkenton for extra yards.

I don't think you have to be Alabama, USC, Florida, or Ohio State to get top players. What hot young prospects want are facilities, a rabid home crowd and fan base, and an ambitious, enthusiastic coach who believes he will take us to the promised land. We have 2 out of those 3. It doesn't matter if the coach is delusional. If he's ambitious, and he really believes he can take us to the top, that's the kind of guy talented athletes want to play for. If he believes, they will believe. The passion, aggressive competitive edge, and insatiable hunger to be the best is found in every coach who has ever reached the pinnacle. That attitude and personality attracts like-minded athletes.
Minnesota has hired several ambitious, passionate coaches who really believes, hows that working out for them?

That was a decade ago, and we talk about braska living in the past ;)

considering there are 60 power 5 teams(give or take), 51st doesn't sound that good to me!!!
3 pt win over pitt
9 pt win over il
8 pt win over in
5 over mn
8 pt win over braska

It was a fun season, NO DOUBT. It was not a top 10 team though, regardless of where we finished.
2002. tO$U wins the NC on a PI in the end zone. During the season they beat

1. Cincinnati by 4
2. Wisconsin by 5
3. Illinois by 7
4. Purdue by 4
5.Michigan by 5
6. Penn St by 6

Didn't play 8 - 0 Iowa

How do you know? You gave up years ago, you don't support, follow or watch, or are those just lies?

FYI that schedule ranked 51st out of 128 so not even last of the first half. Good effort though, I am sure it sounded good in your head without checking facts.

51st? You are saying it's forgivable because we had the 51st most difficult schedule. That's probably not even MAC level. Oh, I see now, it's you cid.

2002. tO$U wins the NC on a PI in the end zone. During the season they beat

1. Cincinnati by 4
2. Wisconsin by 5
3. Illinois by 7
4. Purdue by 4
5.Michigan by 5
6. Penn St by 6

Didn't play 8 - 0 Iowa
they beat 3 teams that finished in the top 10 and you're trying to compare that to our 2015 schedule?

51st? You are saying it's forgivable because we had the 51st most difficult schedule. That's probably not even MAC level. Oh, I see now, it's you cid.

Nice attempt. You haven't read the thread so I will go real slow for you.

Another poster said that the schedule was the easiest in the country that year. I will give you some time to wrap your mind around that................ ready for step 2 now? I pointed out that it was 51st. Which is far from last and is in the top half and that there were 16 power 5 schools with easier schedules. Got that part? I will give you some time to put your crayons down while trying to comprehend this.
In no way did I claim that it was 'forgivable' or assign anything other than what the schedule was. Simple enough for you?

The primary purpose was to address a factually inaccurate post from iowa12. He has chosen to essentially attack Iowa football while claiming to not follow them, support them or watch them, yet has a myriad of opinions.

Feel free to share what issues you have with me. I posted a factual response to a factually inaccurate post. Sorry you seem to have an issue with that.

I guess you can put me in the boat as someone who'd rather have a coach/program with integrity than a coach that's willing to sell his soul to "just win baby". Call me old school or dumb I guess, but I don't blame anyone not wanting to kiss some high school "superstar's" a** just to get them to come play football for me.

Sell your soul?

Why, when I mention that we need to step our recruiting game up, do you guys automatically go straight paying players & cheating?

I’m talking about finding some AC’s that absolutely live and breathe recruiting, and begin to establish relationships. It can be done. We have the resources. We have a passionate fan base. We just need a few of the right people in some key places. Let’s go from 7-5 each year to 9-3. Consistently.

Sell your soul?

Why, when I mention that we need to step our recruiting game up, do you guys automatically go straight paying players & cheating?

I’m talking about finding some AC’s that absolutely live and breathe recruiting, and begin to establish relationships. It can be done. We have the resources. We have a passionate fan base. We just need a few of the right people in some key places. Let’s go from 7-5 each year to 9-3. Consistently.
so you don't think it's ok to spend the same or less money than ISU on recruiting?
how dare you!! :)

Just coincidence this was posted after our first loss???? LOL. KF is iowa football buddy- don’t like him- you don’t like Iowa football IMO. Let’s see if u r still whining after 10+ wins this season and arguably our best roster ever next year if everybody comes back.

BEST roster of all time, next year?

Holy shvt I know how much you worship KF, but I forgot how much of a homer you were. That’s funny stuff.

This is bullshit. What some anonymous, envious, group of coaches whine about doesn't mean shit and it surely isn't true. That group of coaches would certainly fall on their face trying to match what Kirk has done at Iowa. And believe me. there are many schools that would love to average 7 or 8 wins a year, there are a lot of schools that fall far short of that. Throw in the fact that he is a great leader for our program, and has an excellent graduation rate for his student athletes.

Reactions: papabeef
I don't know about that. I think our WR's have matched up very well with isu's over the past 4 years, hell, alot longer than that. And your ridiculous crack about lazy recruiting is pathetic. Hayden Fry was a great coach, one of the very best of his generation, and an outstanding recruiter. Yet , if you are honest you would recognize that Kirk's recruiting classes are very similar. I'm glad he is OUR coach!

BEST roster of all time, next year?

Holy shvt I know how much you worship KF, but I forgot how much of a homer you were. That’s funny stuff.
Are you kidding me- an easy argument could be made. Fant, hock, AJ Eppy, Wirfs, Jackson, Nelson, hooker and Stanley are pretty sure fire draft picks who all would return. I do enjoy supporting my favorite team- have my whole life and will continue to do so. If you enjoy being a miserable person, so be it. Doesn’t mean I have to wallow in it as well. Probably won’t be hearing from you much after we start winning (hopefully).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT