ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk’s inability and/or unwillingness to recruit skill position players

Iowa just offered a playmaking 4* from North Gwinnett. He has a lot of offers, some of them big time. Maybe he is a guy we have a better chance to get because of teammates coming here. He is a bit undersized, but very athletic.
It seems to be working for IL!!! :D
Undersized height or weight?

ISU, like the majority of colleges runs the spread, and thus will throw the ball more then a pro formation team. If your a great HS WR and have a bunch of offers, are you going to go to a school that is going to throw the ball 70% of the time, or a pro formation team that is going to run 60% of the time? Young WR's with a chip on there shoulder are not going to go to a school and block, they want to catch passes. Same as the Gunslinger QB's, if they want to throw the ball all over the yard they sure are not going to go to Iowa, Wisconsin or probably Michigan State. So there is much more to recruiting a great WR then just putting in the time on the recruiting trail.
Jimmy has no problems getting qbs and wrs even though he wants to run the ball.
Of course none of his qbs have worked out so far, so who knows :)

That's strange CHUCKY you didn't have shit to say after our three wins to start the season. Your last post before the lost was Aug 11th, why is that ? Go the hell away and stay away !

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
That was a decade ago, and we talk about braska living in the past ;)

considering there are 60 power 5 teams(give or take), 51st doesn't sound that good to me!!!
3 pt win over pitt
9 pt win over il
8 pt win over in
5 over mn
8 pt win over braska

It was a fun season, NO DOUBT. It was not a top 10 team though, regardless of where we finished.

"Just? Beyond that, had the easiest schedule in America that year and got walloped in the bowl game in an incredible mismatch"

This was the post I responded to. This is a poster who claims to have stopped following, watching and supporting Iowa football but sure has an opinion. In this case he was factually wrong. He claimed that it was the easiest. It wasn't, there were 16 power 5 teams that had easier schedules, so not top of the line but nowhere near the 'easiest'

Keep in mind,too, if we had beaten Wisconsin by not beating ourselves, we would be 4-0, nationally ranked, the front runner for the West & KF would be praised for what he is doing.

Any time we lose a game we have threads like this.

BAU

If if if. IMHO ferentz has not won a big game since the orange bowl. By big game I mean a national spotlight, both good teams , something big at stake game. I loved the Ohio state win but it was called an upset. The big ten title game , the rose bowl are games that winning would have moved this program up. The Wisconsin game was a big game , would have moved the program up , yet here we are again.

KF needs to do better getting more skill players, no way around it.
He's finally gotten back to doing some actual recruiting though, so hopefully it'll change. He crapped the bed many years until recently.

THAT SAID......Wadley was fun as hell to watch and very glad he was a hawk. Don't care if he does anything in the league or not, although I'm obviously rooting for him!

Recruiting is the single factor that has separated KF from being a .600 coach and being a regular contender for the B1G championship. Year in and year out, Iowa's recruiting classes are middle of the pack. They turn a remarkable number of lightly-recruited players into NFL-ready players but they also have glaring holes in the lineup. See OT last year and Parker Hesse having to start as an undersized RSFR in 2015 because there were no upperclassmen to step in when a starter went down to injury. Unlike many on this thread, I am not here to bash KF. I have great respect for the guy but recruiting has really limited Iowa's success during his tenure.
And Iowa hasn't recruited RB anywhere near as well as Wisconsin has. Or WR for that matter. Same thing when compared with MSU. MSU probably isn't a fair comparison when you look at how many skill.players are available in the rust belt and Dantonio's reputation for letting them do whatever they want without consequence when they play for him.
Even though I agree KF and staff are average at best recruiters, his biggest liability that has cost more wins is his mind-boggling coaching. The thing I will remember KF being best at was playing poker with a 7-5 hand and somehow our AD folded and KF won the jackpot, (twice!) thus providing KF the leverage he needs to elevate his son without credentials to his position of choice.

That we have coaches that go in those states and recruit players?

I didn't think it was that hard to follow. First poster said with the right staff we could recruit players from other areas. We have several.
Sargent came from iowa juco, not recruited from Florida.

Reactions: ChuckThomas12
My only issue is that the staff dont play the playmakers soon enough just because they may make youth mistakes and keep older players in even though they are not as good.
Its obviously not translating into consistent wins for them.
Play makers need to be out there period if only to give the defense something to think about

Not brain surgery, if we want to reach and maintain the level of Wisconsin, better skill players are a necessity.

Areas where Wisconsin has a skill position advantage over Iowa:

QB - LOL
RB - Yes
WR - no
TE - No

Agreed. I don't think Wisky beat Iowa with talent. I think they won with power and execution.

Is Alex Hornibrook more talented than Stanley? I'm not convinced. Did he enjoy standing behind an OL so he could survey the field? Yep. Did Iowa's pass D suffer because they were trying their darnedest to slow the run? Yeah, I think so.

Reactions: JAMAM
KF and Co have changed their approach on recruiting and finding skill position talent and should be lauded for their efforts. Brandon Smith is going to be a gem, so is ISM, found the traditional way. Nick Easley and Mekhi Sargent was found through JUCO, Kyle Groeneweg and James Butler through the grad transfer rules. I think Iowa has found ways to sneak good skill position on to this team without potentially degrading the culture like some other programs we know that have had problems.

Wisconsin for all its recent skill position recruiting wins just found two of them wrapped up in a sexual assault scandal. Michigan State had similar problems on its team. Nebraska won lots of skill position recruiting battles only to have guys decide fundamentals and blocking were not for them but weed is great! If you look across the country, you will find transfers, legal problems, and losing football cultures from teams that place an inordinate value on winning recruiting battles based on “stars.” Teams that can sneak through and find guys with the right work ethic and fit the culture and are good athletes will win the war. Getting all of that plus the pedigree probably means you are Ohio St or Alabama.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Areas where Wisconsin has a skill position advantage over Iowa:

QB - LOL
RB - Yes

WR - no
TE - No

Wait-you are a Wisconsin fan and you don't think they have superior WRs compared to Iowa? AJ Taylor would be the best WR Iowa has had since at least DJK or McNutt. He was what, 3rd or 4th WR there before the suspensions? C'mon, man!

with a higher ceiling will hold this program back, as long as he’s in charge.

I understand. Time is valuable. Our head coach would rather spend his on prospects he feels we have a much higher percentage of signing. He’s stuck by that, and produced year after year of “solid football”.

This is as much as we’re going to get in return, though. You’ll never consistently keep pace with the upper echelon of the Big Ten by mining the rust belt for diamonds in the rough, and going head to head for fringe Power 5 prospects.

We’ve had this “aw shucks” mentality for so long, but the right person could bring those type of players here. With the right staff of recruiters, we ABSOLUTELY COULD go down to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida and take advantage of the insane amount of solid prospects who go overlooked.

We’ve played by the same mold for so long, and have seen our fair share of success with it - but these late game battles would fall our way so much more often if we had the ability to get the ball to playmakers when it mattered most.

All it takes is the right staff. I’ve been screaming this for years, and fully believe that bringing these type of kids into the program, while challenging, would be entirely possible with the right head man in charge.

I understand why KF doesn’t, and his reasons for not wanting to, but these results will never change until we find a way to lessen the gap between us and the rest of the marquee Big Ten teams when it comes to our perimeter athletes and how we use them in space.
Sooo you can guarantee that a new coach is the RIGHT coach and that he will stay for quite a while or when he leaves that the next coach is the RIGHT coach and that he will stay for a while , right ? dont answer i know the answer . i will just enjoy the coach we have .

It's not that we don't have playmakers, it's the offensive philosophy.

The offensive philosophy put up 400 yards on a very tough defense - I thought it was a pretty good showing by the offense. No turnovers, a couple of questionable play calls in hindsight, Stanley missed a couple of throws that he should have made - but the offense played a pretty clean game. I'm pretty excited about what the offense can do the rest of this season and into the future.

Reactions: desihawk and JAMAM
KF and Co have changed their approach on recruiting and finding skill position talent and should be lauded for their efforts. Brandon Smith is going to be a gem, so is ISM, found the traditional way. Nick Easley and Mekhi Sargent was found through JUCO, Kyle Groeneweg and James Butler through the grad transfer rules. I think Iowa has found ways to sneak good skill position on to this team without potentially degrading the culture like some other programs we know that have had problems.

Wisconsin for all its recent skill position recruiting wins just found two of them wrapped up in a sexual assault scandal. Michigan State had similar problems on its team. Nebraska won lots of skill position recruiting battles only to have guys decide fundamentals and blocking were not for them but weed is great! If you look across the country, you will find transfers, legal problems, and losing football cultures from teams that place an inordinate value on winning recruiting battles based on “stars.” Teams that can sneak through and find guys with the right work ethic and fit the culture and are good athletes will win the war. Getting all of that plus the pedigree probably means you are Ohio St or Alabama.
You can’t be serious with Easley and the small school grad transfer. To compete nationally and take advantage of the line play and defenses that they’ve traditionally coached up, 4-star skill players is what it will take and that is where this staff falls on its face

JFC he just went 12-0 in the regular season with those same type of recruits, which mind you he develops, and you want to vent that the sky is falling. I'll take an honest caring coach versus some jackwagon like Meyer or Franklin any day.

A good majority of posters are definitely "what have you done for me lately". No way Fry would have lasted 20yrs if social media was around back then.

And when we finally play anybody with a pulse we got run off the field

I stopped reading here.

Can you point to me all the Wisky running backs tearing up the NFL?
Melvin Gordon, Ron Dayne, taylor and deal look the part. PJ hill and John clay both had time in the NFL, John clay was actually drafted. Montee Ball was drafted in second round by the Denver Broncos. James White was drafted by the New England Patriots. Maybe now you have been enlightened enough to read the rest of my post.

Reactions: HawkInArk
So one game in the NFL means that a college program is good at producing good players at one position?

Come on, your better than that.

Wisconsin running backs haven't done much in the NFL. The stats back that up. Could White and Clement help their cause in the future, sure. Much like ISM and Brandon Smith could dispel this whole thread in the future. But, let's not kid ourselves Wisconsin isn't producing "nfl running back after NFL running back" any more than Iowa is producing NFL QB after NFL QB.
I didn't say Wisconsin running backs are tearing up the NFL. I said they're putting them in there. Jack Melvin Gordon it's probably a top 10 running back so that does lead to my point. Think Wisconsin has 5 running backs drafted in the Kirk Ferentz era to only his two running backs. If you read my post it says that Wisconsin is getting better recruits that end up in the NFL and we are not. And both teams have are run-first mentality

Wait-you are a Wisconsin fan and you don't think they have superior WRs compared to Iowa? AJ Taylor would be the best WR Iowa has had since at least DJK or McNutt. He was what, 3rd or 4th WR there before the suspensions? C'mon, man!
Who knows, their trolls were certainly nowhere to be found until after the game.....

This thread sucks and has been talked about for years. You seriously aren't a Hawks fan! The least 20 years very little has changed. Jeezus I can't believe I just replied to such a shitass thread. I might be slightly retarded for replying.

with a higher ceiling will hold this program back, as long as he’s in charge.

I understand. Time is valuable. Our head coach would rather spend his on prospects he feels we have a much higher percentage of signing. He’s stuck by that, and produced year after year of “solid football”.

This is as much as we’re going to get in return, though. You’ll never consistently keep pace with the upper echelon of the Big Ten by mining the rust belt for diamonds in the rough, and going head to head for fringe Power 5 prospects.

We’ve had this “aw shucks” mentality for so long, but the right person could bring those type of players here. With the right staff of recruiters, we ABSOLUTELY COULD go down to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida and take advantage of the insane amount of solid prospects who go overlooked.

We’ve played by the same mold for so long, and have seen our fair share of success with it - but these late game battles would fall our way so much more often if we had the ability to get the ball to playmakers when it mattered most.

All it takes is the right staff. I’ve been screaming this for years, and fully believe that bringing these type of kids into the program, while challenging, would be entirely possible with the right head man in charge.

I understand why KF doesn’t, and his reasons for not wanting to, but these results will never change until we find a way to lessen the gap between us and the rest of the marquee Big Ten teams when it comes to our perimeter athletes and how we use them in space.
I have seen lots of moronic posts on this site over the years , but this one ranks right near the top!

You can’t be serious with Easley and the small school grad transfer. To compete nationally and take advantage of the line play and defenses that they’ve traditionally coached up, 4-star skill players is what it will take and that is where this staff falls on its face

How would you know?

It’s not hard to see the difference in this thread between those who are completely satisfied with average, and those who strive for more.

That says a lot about the individual, IMO.

Far too many in our fan base are completely okay with year after year of “good to average” results - a long lineage of Ferentz leadership. Yet, some of us want so badly to have Iowa football realize it’s full potential.

Unfortunately, when Kirk retires, it’s almost a certainty he’ll pass the baton to his son. That’s the safe, familiar & comfortable choice.

That we have coaches that go in those states and recruit players?

I didn't think it was that hard to follow. First poster said with the right staff we could recruit players from other areas. We have several.

Are you able to comprehend the difference between having a handful of players from the southeast, versus making a concerted effort to comprehensively recruit that entire part of the country on a regular basis?

Are you able to comprehend the difference between having a handful of players from the southeast, versus making a concerted effort to comprehensively recruit that entire part of the country on a regular basis?

I would really like to hear a detailed explanation of how CHUCKTHOMAS12 would "comprehensively recruit the entire southeastern US"

He says as we begin to establish a pipeline in one of the largest Atlanta based high schools (North Gwinnett).

It’s not hard to see the difference in this thread between those who are completely satisfied with average, and those who strive for more.

That says a lot about the individual, IMO.

Oh, I completely agree. There are fans that realize that they are just that - fans, and root for the Hawks and always hope for better. They don't enjoy being "average", but are satisfied with the results over the last 20 years, which is well above average - dare I say, pretty darned good.

Then, there are those that think they truly have individual ownership in the program, and that getting angry after a loss proves that they are exceptional people that demand more.

Expecting or demanding more over something that you have no control over is an exercise in futility. There are so many things in our lives that we do have control over, but most people seem ok to settle for less than the best.

And, btw, there is not going to be a fan uprising or a boycott because we can't seem to beat one of the best teams in the country.

Reactions: mlee3553
Sooo you can guarantee that a new coach is the RIGHT coach and that he will stay for quite a while or when he leaves that the next coach is the RIGHT coach and that he will stay for a while , right ? dont answer i know the answer . i will just enjoy the coach we have .

This thread sucks and has been talked about for years. You seriously aren't a Hawks fan! The least 20 years very little has changed. Jeezus I can't believe I just replied to such a shitass thread. I might be slightly retarded for replying.

I have seen lots of moronic posts on this site over the years , but this one ranks right near the top!

Three guys who are more than happy being average.

Iowa has a ton of potential, folks. Don’t settle for average. We have a lot of things going for us including a very passionate fan base, who would absolutely support, at a sell out level, a team that competed for conference championships. There is no reason a team like Wisconsin should have so much success over us, with everything we have going for us, unless they flat out just have a better staff running the show.

Kirk is a great man, and a fine football coach. He’s done a lot for us Iowa City, and we should be thankful - but don’t be afraid to roll the dice and look towards the future to improve upon the last two decades.

I would really like to hear a detailed explanation of how CHUCKTHOMAS12 would "comprehensively recruit the entire southeastern US"

Build relationships. Put in the time with the kids. That’s how recruiting battles are won.

The Southeast is just an example.

There are good ball players all over the country, but you have to build relationships with them. Ferentz knows going head to head with top programs takes a lot of time and effort. We prefer to delegate most of our time finding kids that have offer lists that are winnable, scrutinizing character and the ability to fit into our program, above most other qualifications. There is nothing wrong with that. We’ve seen the results. Twenty years worth.

But the roadmap to the highest part of the mountain, in today’s world of college football, requires a bit of a different approach.. and I’m not sure the guy in charge will ever make the adjustments to get us to the next level.

Build relationships. Put in the time with the kids. That’s how recruiting battles are won.

The Southeast is just an example.

There are good ball players all over the country, but you have to build relationships with them. Ferentz knows going head to head with top programs takes a lot of time and effort. We prefer to delegate most of our time finding kids that have offer lists that are winnable, scrutinizing character and the ability to fit into our program, above most other qualifications. There is nothing wrong with that. We’ve seen the results. Twenty years worth.

But the roadmap to the highest part of the mountain, in today’s world of college football, requires a bit of a different approach.. and I’m not sure the guy in charge will ever make the adjustments to get us to the next level.
I guess you can put me in the boat as someone who'd rather have a coach/program with integrity than a coach that's willing to sell his soul to "just win baby". Call me old school or dumb I guess, but I don't blame anyone not wanting to kiss some high school "superstar's" a** just to get them to come play football for me.

Reactions: papabeef
JFC he just went 12-0 in the regular season with those same type of recruits, which mind you he develops, and you want to vent that the sky is falling. I'll take an honest caring coach versus some jackwagon like Meyer or Franklin any day.

A good majority of posters are definitely "what have you done for me lately". No way Fry would have lasted 20yrs if social media was around back then.

It was a soft schedule. Yes Kirk is a great guy, love him for that. But if he was just a bit more aggressive at times in all aspects, he could be averaging 9 wins instead of 7. That's a huge difference.

Well this I completely agree with... and frankly if KF or whoever is Iowa's head coach decides that the slimy sh!t that the Urban Meyers and Nick Sabans of the world do to reach that part of the mountain is how the Iowa program is going to be run... than count me out as a fan. And if you if you don't think that is one of the things that separates those elite teams from the rest of the pack... I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in.

Three guys who are more than happy being average.

Iowa has a ton of potential, folks. Don’t settle for average. We have a lot of things going for us including a very passionate fan base, who would absolutely support, at a sell out level, a team that competed for conference championships. There is no reason a team like Wisconsin should have so much success over us, with everything we have going for us, unless they flat out just have a better staff running the show.

Kirk is a great man, and a fine football coach. He’s done a lot for us Iowa City, and we should be thankful - but don’t be afraid to roll the dice and look towards the future to improve upon the last two decades.
thats the problem with rolling dice they dont land where you want them to.

Well this I completely agree with... and frankly if KF or whoever is Iowa's head coach decides that the slimy sh!t that the Urban Meyers and Nick Sabans of the world do to reach that part of the mountain is how the Iowa program is going to be run... than count me out as a fan. And if you if you don't think that is one of the things that separates those elite teams from the rest of the pack... I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in.
8-5 record is not average .

He is the only coach I know of who enjoys turning FB's into full time RB's, and TE's into #1 WR's...he ABSOLUTELY hates to recruit great talent at the skill positions. He gets a bigger ego charge out of trying to coach up try hard guys, then removing some of the doubt and going after the best talent available....ISU has had better WR's then us for as far back as I can remember. Only at Iowa could a coach get away with this type of lazy recruiting for over two decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT