ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz addresses the issues with a statement

likewise! Appreciate the discussions. All I can say is the power in athletic departments goes beyond what we even care to know or admit. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t heard the stories I have. I love college sports but politics, power and money dictate it all.
Hmm. Sounds like we need to start naming some other schools, because right now, it's only Iowa's name that's getting dragged through the mud. :)

In other words, college sports is simply a part of the larger culture. So is the Catholic church. So is the Olympic Committee. So is government. There are no righteous, no not one.

Politics, power, and money have always ruled the world--every single aspect of it--and they always will. All we can do is try to mitigate the damage.

Right now, Iowa appears to have one huge mitigation challenge ahead of it. I have no idea how all of that will turn out, but just when you think things can't get worse, they get worse. Like many Americans and many Hawkeye fans, I've been in some stage of depression since November of 2016. Then we have a pandemic. Then we have riots in the streets. And now this.

I have lived and worked with people of every color and religion all over the world, and I keep coming back to these two things: Treat others as you wish to be treated, and live and let live. If Iowa football and the rest of the world could just do those seemingly simple things, we'd all be a lot better off.

Instead, here we are, sad, frustrated, and depressed. There is no solace anywhere. So I guess all we can do is follow the advice of Winston Churchill: "When you're going through hell, keep going."
I agree with a lot of the points you made, but I did have to insensitively chuckle at the bit about being depressed since November of 2016.

If something truly unfortunate did happen, then I'm sorry. But if you're alluding to Trump getting elected President as to why you been in some form of depression since then.......then that's why I've been saying for 10 damn years that you all need to stop caring so much about politics. ;)

I'm trying to fathom a reason to ever feel truly depressed by the election of a political figure.

Do I think he's a good President? Of course NOT. Did I want him to become President? F*** NO. But is that a reason for me to feel depressed? Why should I?....... It's not like any President in my time on Earth has ever done anything that directly negatively impacted me as an individual. Maybe that's another white thing vs being black that I wouldn't understand.........but depressed? Nah, I'm not gonna beat myself up and feel helpless because Donald Trump became President. There's plenty of other, more personal things in life that can and have happened that can trigger said depression. And maybe you were just being tongue-in-cheek about that, but I've heard thousands of comments from other people who actually were.

Hope that helps..........and again, if it was something personal other than Trump, then ignore what I said and I apologize. ;)

Reactions: 83Hawk
I take pride in being in touch with Iowa football but I have no clue what is going on here. Was there and article written that I’m not aware of, I’m aware of Faiths and James comments but they aren’t earth shattering
I do agree with the stories shared about the issues with the ICPD and the Campus police department. That is something that absolutely needs to be addressed, and I wonder if it ever will, because calls for change have been going on for years.

However, THAT has nothing to do with the Iowa football program.

I agree with a lot of the points you made, but I did have to insensitively chuckle at the bit about being depressed since November of 2016.

If something truly unfortunate did happen, then I'm sorry. But if you're alluding to Trump getting elected President as to why you been in some form of depression since then.......then that's why I've been saying for 10 damn years that you all need to stop caring so much about politics. ;)

I'm trying to fathom a reason to ever feel truly depressed by the election of a political figure.

Do I think he's a good President? Of course NOT. Did I want him to become President? F*** NO. But is that a reason for me to feel depressed? Why should I?....... It's not like any President in my time on Earth has ever done anything that directly negatively impacted me as an individual. Maybe that's another white thing vs being black that I wouldn't understand.........but depressed? Nah, I'm not gonna beat myself up and feel helpless because Donald Trump became President. There's plenty of other, more personal things in life that can and have happened that can trigger said depression. And maybe you were just being tongue-in-cheek about that, but I've heard thousands of comments from other people who actually were.

Hope that helps..........and again, if it was something personal other than Trump, then ignore what I said and I apologize. ;)

I don't know if it's all about politics, but when your starting quarterback, a white guy from Tennessee, promotes the Confederate flag on social media, just taking a wild stab in the dark that that might contribute to the feelings of Iowa being a "white culture."

I don't know if it's all about politics, but when your starting quarterback, a white guy from Tennessee, promotes the Confederate flag on social media, just taking a wild stab in the dark that that might contribute to the feelings of Iowa being a "white culture."
Did CJ Beathard promote the Confederate flag on social media while at Iowa?

And did he leave this picture up on his Facebook page the whole time, or was it ever addressed?

No idea. He just posted an article in support of it.

You have to understand, many southern people don't see it as a symbol of racism. They look at it as promoting their southern heritage. I don't agree with them, but it's what they believe.

With that said, when you're the quarterback and leader of a team you have to be aware of how offensive others on the team take it. I'm just going to guess, especially since Beathard was vocal in his support of Trump, that it didn't make any of the black players feel more welcomed in Iowa's "white culture."

The bottom line is the players who are coming out on Twitter probably need to be more specific about their grievances. Just saying "white culture" doesn't help anyone better understand what types of practices or philosophies need looked at.

My honest opinion is Doyle will likely be gone and the rest will blow over. This is just a really sensitive time in American history right now. But Kirk will handle this flawlessly and the program will be better in the long run. If Kirk doesn't survive this, however, a lot of people at Iowa are gone.

No idea. He just posted an article in support of it.

You have to understand, many southern people don't see it as a symbol of racism. They look at it as promoting their southern heritage. I don't agree with them, but it's what they believe.

With that said, when you're the quarterback and leader of a team you have to be aware of how offensive others on the team take it. I'm just going to guess, especially since Beathard was vocal in his support of Trump, that it didn't make any of the black players feel more welcomed in Iowa's "white culture."

The bottom line is the players who are coming out on Twitter probably need to be more specific about their grievances. Just saying "white culture" doesn't help anyone better understand what types of practices or philosophies need looked at.

My honest opinion is Doyle will likely be gone and the rest will blow over. This is just a really sensitive time in American history right now. But Kirk will handle this flawlessly and the program will be better in the long run. If Kirk doesn't survive this, however, a lot of people at Iowa are gone.
See? You answered so many of my questions (and yours if you think about it...;)) already.

Oh and having gone to the University of Iowa, I get what the black players are saying about white culture. But it has less to do with racism than what's being alluded to.

See? You answered so many of my questions (and yours if you think about it...;)) already.

Oh and having gone to the University of Iowa, I get what the black players are saying about white culture. But it has less to do with racism than what's being alluded to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has actual racism been charged or just that there were cultural biases needing addressed?

wow, been off this board for a couple of days (and dont participate in social media) and i cant believe what i am reading. dont know where to start. i have always admired ferentz and his moral standards- i cant think of finer man in the public eye. if his program shows racism, then i think it is time that we all need to do some serious self-reflection (myself included).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT