ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk gives Update on Offensive Coordinator Search. Plans to have OC in place 2nd or 3rd wk of January. Leistikow: Chryst has Best Odds at getting Job

Do you watch the games? There are also box scores that prove Iowa throws the ball quite a bit.

In fact, Iowa throws it far too much for my liking. Especially with a backup QB.

Another way to show that the complaining about the offense is way over the top is fans lack of knowing what they are even complaining about

what's the completion percentage of those passes?

You are either a raging idiot or a gigantic dick because this isn't the first time you've done this to posters on the site.

I'm a generous person, so I'll spell this out one more time. Feel free to disagree all you want. But I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth, so if that is your intention don't bother responding.

Many fans are perpetuating a narrative that if X (Iowa had a better offense the past couple seasons), then Y (they would have had a better record in those seasons). To say if X, then Y is called a hypothetical statement.

I point out that the narrative is a hypothetical statement because by nature, hypothetical statements are only so important.

Why is this narrative being discussed on a daily basis rather than all the praiseworthy elements of what did actually happen? Iowa won 10 games. They won 7 games with a backup QB. I happen to believe that that situation was self- inflicted, as the staff should have never played Cade while he was hurt to start the season. But nonetheless, how the team responded and won 7 games with a backup QB was tremendous. How they responded to losing other key players was tremendous. How they responded to tough circumstances like the Minnesota officiating, and announcement of the release of Brian was tremendous. This team has major balls. They consistently made winning plays in key moments. Some of this shit was literally hair-raising. The togetherness and the fight of this team has been absolutely phenomenal. Time and time again these guys have had each other's backs. Some of what lead to the bad offense was also self-inflicted. But nonetheless, the ability to navigate the bad offense as a team in a way that produced wins was phenomenal. I could go on and on. In the end, this is one of Iowa's most winning teams of all time. And it's bullshit that people would rather find something to complain about than celebrate this team.

To help clarify, and I know I've stated this before in one of these threads, I obviously believe it to be most likely that a better offense would have produced more total wins. I just don't believe the hypothetical narrative to be the fact that many are imposing. I've illuminated a couple of ways in which the hypothetical might not play out as has been proposed. This has also been for the purpose of showing how the narrative isn't as important as fans make it out to be. Not only is this narrative a hypothetical, but the hypothetical might not even play out to be true in all cases. So why stay stuck on it?

I don't support the crappy offense. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as fans are making it. And I understand what has contributed to the downtick in offense the past couple years and understand that much of it is something that can and probably will be grown out of. Call it excuses or whatever you want. I call it a perspective that can keep one from feeling the need to complain about the offense on a daily basis.

The reason I ask what exactly you would do to improve the offense isn't a "deflection". And I don't "typically" deflect, so you need to accuse me of that again. I have no problem taking any of this head on.

The reason I ask what your fixes for the offense are is because many fans give answers to this that could compromise the defense. If someone has a complaint, but their only way to address the complaint is to potentially compromise the defense (ie: use a spread offense), then it isn't really a valid complaint because potentially compromising the defense is a terrible idea.

As it is, most of your suggestions don't necessarily compromise the D.
1. Less predictable play calling- Brian will be gone so it isn't something fans need to complain about anymore, right?
2. Blockers who can block- This is a great point and the most important point. It also gives me opportunity to point out how the negativity of the fans because of the offense has been over the top. The O-line has improved some this season. But last season it was certainly the main reason for Iowa's struggles on offense. It's very easy to understand, yet somehow fans struggle to understand that everything in football is won up-front. If you have a bad O-line, you can't really have much of an offense. And it was very easy to see why Iowa didn't have a good O-line. Significant unexpected attrition to highly rated upperclassmen in the O-line left Iowa having to play some underdeveloped lineman. Iowa losing its strength coach at the same time that younger players were losing developmental workouts due to Covid pronounced the underdevelopment of the lineman that were forced into action. This was all very clear to knowledgeable fans. It was a situation where Iowa fans should have expected a bumpy ride as it was clear that it would take some time for the line to develop. It was a situation where fans should have been ecstatic to have gotten to a bowl game.
3. Receivers that can catch- well usually receivers can catch so I have to think this year was an outlier. Trying to develop a rythm with the backup QB was part of it. That fact that Hill doesn't throw a very catchable ball was part of it. And I think extra pressure to get the offense going, and the pressure from being in so many tight situations was part of it. Also the lack of rythm from simply the offense being broken was part of it. I think we can expect a higher percentage of balls to be caught in the future. One question I do have is if doing what it takes to bring better recruits in at receiver would compromise the D. Kirk has said throwing the ball around makes it harder for the D. So having a more receiver happy offense for the purpose of attracting better players at the position is not an option. Also, we don't know how the staff allots their recruiting resources. If there is ever a choice that has to be made between pursuing a receiver and pursuing a defensive player, the resources need to be allotted to the defensive player.
4. A mobile Qb- I agree with this completely. I think it's an absolute must in this day and age. Hopefully KF has figured this out. Lainez, Resar, and the latest recruit (can't recall his name-Simmons?) would suggest that he has. Although Hill being on the roster raises doubt. Hopefully it was just a situation where KF knew Labas was smoking pot and felt he had to add depth at QB regardless of Hill's immobility.
5. A QB who can compete passes and
6. A QB who can read through his progressions- obviously coaches everywhere are recruiting QB's who they feel can do these things. Obviously Iowa had some trouble in the passing game this year. Also, obviously a lot of that was to be expected with a backup QB trying to gain a rythm with backups to his best weapons and a below average O-line. Again, to win 10 games with that aggregate dynamic was damn impressive and should definitely be the main story rather than the bad offense.

My point all along has not been that Iowa's offense isn't terrible. But rather that it isn't as big a deal as fans are making it. Same with the narrative that a better offense would have produced more wins. Not that important overall. What is important is everything that should be being celebrated.

Also, we have the same fans saying that Iowa would have beat Michigan with a decent offense that claim Iowa has no shot vs a shell of a Tennessee team. Obviously the variable is a decent offense for Iowa. But that's a gigantic difference in expectation. Fans don't want to hear this, but when you have a defense and a punter as good as Iowa's, offense just isn't as important as they make it out to be.

Again, flip Iowa's situation around. Give them one of the best offenses in the country and one of the worst defenses in the country and have them go 10-3. There would be no deafening negativity in the fan base, period. For fans to give a winning team such a hard time because they aren't entertained is wrong. For one thing, it's just their opinion. I, for one, am thoroughly entertained by Iowa football
I'll bite since you responded to my list of things we can do on the last page. I agree a full on spread or air raid is going to compromise the defense. For the record I dont want those systems. In my perfect world I want Iowa to be run first out of gun or pistol like Mich, Penn St, NDSU, Or SDSU (which i fully intend to do on NCAA 24)
I think most here want competence. Somewhere between 75-99. That would keep the D more fresh.
Anyways my mini rant last page was just things we could do or attempt to try under the current system. You are correct alot of the obvious flaws and predictability may change under the new OC.

Now IF the new OC is Chryst or Philbin, 2 coaches with very good offensive resumes come in here and it looks the same then we all, including the BOR need to have a serious conversation about Kirk.

Last edited:
I'll bite since you responded to my list of things we can do on the last page. I agree a full on spread or air raid is going to compromise the defense. For the record I dont want those systems. In my perfect world I want Iowa to be run first out of gun or pistol like Mich, Penn St, NDSU, Or SDSU (which i fully intend to do on NCAA 24)
I think most here want competence. Somewhere between 75-99. That would keep the D more fresh.
Anyways my mini rant last page was just things we could do or attempt to try under the current system. You are correct alot of the obvious flaws and predictability may change under the new OC.

Now IF the new OC is Chryst or Philbin, 2 coaches with very good offensive resumes come in here and it looks the same then we all, including the BOR need to have a serious conversation about Kirk.

I am still curious on who the 3rd candidate might be

Reactions: HWKEYZ23
if you were to demand who the next OC is, who would you demand?

thank you
I'm solid with Chryst or Philbin but also genuinely curious who mystery #3 is. People are worked up about Joe and age and not calling plays or developing qbs however on a blind resume we would do backflips if we didn't know names.
I saw Heathens now decrees.....and I approve! I demand a new OC and a 24 offensive ranking with only 2 digits!

I'm solid with Chryst or Philbin but also genuinely curious who mystery #3 is. People are worked up about Joe and age and not calling plays or developing qbs however on a blind resume we would do backflips if we didn't know names.
I saw Heathens now decrees.....and I approve! I demand a new OC and a 24 offensive ranking with only 2 digits!

69 work? ;)

I am still curious on who the 3rd candidate might be
I assume referring to Brada's comments?

I think people here know of my love for podcasts and before I throw this name out there I have no inside knowledge it is just a name I can link to Brada.

I remember he stated either before or during the season he had inside knowledge within the program Randy Hedberg at NDSU was interested in becoming the QB coach here the year KF gave those duties to Brian. I remember Cory saying he really liked him and maybe thats why he thinks people would "really like" or be "excited" about the 3rd option.

Currently he is the QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator. Has coached Wentz, Lance, and Stick. Kid from Solon wasn't half bad either.

The reason we're ranked so low in passing attempts is because the offense can't sustain a drive/possess the ball.
That was my thought as well. If you're going to show ranking in pass attempts, you probably need to also show ranking in overall offensive plays per game.

Sexy Jessica Alba GIF

• Wow
Reactions: ddeanHawk
Kirk said, “I was not referencing anybody that’s been a head coach in the Big Ten. I was actually referencing a coordinator that’s come into our conference sometime in the last decade."

So ... Has anyone out there checked the B1G OC names from the last decade? Especially those featuring good passing attacks? If so, which shoe fits?

Kirk said, “I was not referencing anybody that’s been a head coach in the Big Ten. I was actually referencing a coordinator that’s come into our conference sometime in the last decade."

So ... Has anyone out there checked the B1G OC names from the last decade? Especially those featuring good passing attacks? If so, which shoe fits?
Budmayr.

Mike Yurcich?

We need a Spread Offense.
Make life easier for the OLine.

Or Triple Option, less time for OLine to sustain blocks.
It's not happening Doc.

Might as well either shelve any thoughts of spread or find a team that runs spread to root for

After a disgusting beating in a bowl game, I feel that there's more pressure than ever for Kirk to make a good pick, and quick.

The pick basically has to be a home run for any kind of change in fan morale.

TeamOffensive Coordinator(s)
IllinoisPaul Petrino (2010-11), Chris Beatty/Billy Gonzales (2012), Bill Cubit (2013-15), Garrick McGee (2016-17), Rod Smith (2018-23)
IndianaMatt Canada (2010-11), Seth Littrell (2012-13), Kevin Johns (2014-16), Mike DeBord (2017-18), Kalen DeBoer (2019-20), Nick Sheridan (2021-23)
IowaKen O’Keefe (2010-11), Greg Davis (2012-16), Brian Ferentz (2017-23)
MarylandJames Franklin (2010), Gary Crowton (2011), Mike Locksley (2012-15), Walt Bell (2016-17), Matt Canada (2018), Scottie Montgomery (2019-20), Dan Enos (2021-23)
MichiganCalvin Magee/Rod Smith (2010), Al Borges (2011-13), Doug Nussmeier (2014), Tim Drevno/Jedd Fisch (2015-16), Pep Hamilton (2017-18), Josh Gattis (2019-23)
Michigan StateDon Treadwell (2010-11), Dan Roushar (2012-13), Dave Warner/Jim Bollman (2014-18), Brad Salem (2019), Jay Johnson (2020-23)
MinnesotaJeff Horton (2010-10), Matt Limegrover (2011-15), Jay Johnson (2016), Kirk Ciarrocca (2017-19), Mike Sanford Jr. (2020-23)
NebraskaShawn Watson (2010), Tim Beck (2011-14), Danny Langsdorf (2015-17), Troy Walters (2018-19), Matt Lubick (2020-23)
NorthwesternMick McCall (2010-19), Mike Bajakian (2020-23)
Ohio StateJim Bollman (2010-11), Tom Herman/Ed Warinner (2012-14), Ed Warinner/Tim Beck (2015-16), Kevin Wilson/Ryan Day (2017-18), Kevin Wilson/Mike Yurcich (2019), Kevin Wilson/Corey Dennis (2020-23)
Penn StateGalen Hall (2010-11), Bill O’Brien (2012-13), John Donovan (2014-15), Joe Moorhead (2016-17), Ricky Rahne (2018-19), Kirk Ciarrocca (2020-23)
PurdueGary Nord (2010-12), John Shoop (2013-15), Terry Malone (2016), Brian Brohm/Jeff Brohm (2017-23)
RutgersKirk Ciarrocca (2010-13), Ralph Friedgen (2014), Ben McDaniels (2015), Drew Mehringer (2016), Jerry Kill (2017), John McNulty (2018), Sean Gleeson (2019-23)
WisconsinPaul Chryst (2010-11), Matt Canada (2012), Andy Ludwig (2013-14), Joe Rudolph (2015-23)

Last edited:
TeamOffensive Coordinator(s)
IllinoisPaul Petrino (2010-11), Chris Beatty/Billy Gonzales (2012), Bill Cubit (2013-15), Garrick McGee (2016-17), Rod Smith (2018-23)
IndianaMatt Canada (2010-11), Seth Littrell (2012-13), Kevin Johns (2014-16), Mike DeBord (2017-18), Kalen DeBoer (2019-20), Nick Sheridan (2021-23)
IowaKen O’Keefe (2010-11), Greg Davis (2012-16), Brian Ferentz (2017-23)
MarylandJames Franklin (2010), Gary Crowton (2011), Mike Locksley (2012-15), Walt Bell (2016-17), Matt Canada (2018), Scottie Montgomery (2019-20), Dan Enos (2021-23)
MichiganCalvin Magee/Rod Smith (2010), Al Borges (2011-13), Doug Nussmeier (2014), Tim Drevno/Jedd Fisch (2015-16), Pep Hamilton (2017-18), Josh Gattis (2019-23)
Michigan StateDon Treadwell (2010-11), Dan Roushar (2012-13), Dave Warner/Jim Bollman (2014-18), Brad Salem (2019), Jay Johnson (2020-23)
MinnesotaJeff Horton (2010-10), Matt Limegrover (2011-15), Jay Johnson (2016), Kirk Ciarrocca (2017-19), Mike Sanford Jr. (2020-23)
NebraskaShawn Watson (2010), Tim Beck (2011-14), Danny Langsdorf (2015-17), Troy Walters (2018-19), Matt Lubick (2020-23)
NorthwesternMick McCall (2010-19), Mike Bajakian (2020-23)
Ohio StateJim Bollman (2010-11), Tom Herman/Ed Warinner (2012-14), Ed Warinner/Tim Beck (2015-16), Kevin Wilson/Ryan Day (2017-18), Kevin Wilson/Mike Yurcich (2019), Kevin Wilson/Corey Dennis (2020-23)
Penn StateGalen Hall (2010-11), Bill O’Brien (2012-13), John Donovan (2014-15), Joe Moorhead (2016-17), Ricky Rahne (2018-19), Kirk Ciarrocca (2020-23)
PurdueGary Nord (2010-12), John Shoop (2013-15), Terry Malone (2016), Brian Brohm/Jeff Brohm (2017-23)
RutgersKirk Ciarrocca (2010-13), Ralph Friedgen (2014), Ben McDaniels (2015), Drew Mehringer (2016), Jerry Kill (2017), John McNulty (2018), Sean Gleeson (2019-23)
WisconsinPaul Chryst (2010-11), Matt Canada (2012), Andy Ludwig (2013-14), Joe Rudolph (2015-23)
Names on this list I’ve seen pop up here a few times:
  • Bill O’Brien
  • Joe Moorhead
  • Matt Canada

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Kirk said by 2nd or 3rd week they hope to have their guy.

It would not surprise me if it goes into February.

Has he ever moved quickly with any of the hires ?

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Kirk said by 2nd or 3rd week they hope to have their guy.

It would not surprise me if it goes into February.

Has he ever moved quickly with any of the hires ?
Greg Davis was hired in a couple of weeks I think and BF was hired in 3 days.....

• Haha
Reactions: oldhawk56
I am hearing rumors about Zach Lujan OC at South Dakota State here in SoDak. Lot of smoke about him going to Northwestern but Iowa has also been in the rumor mill. SDSU plays in the FCS Championship Saturday, so some of the timing makes sense.

LINK

Reactions: hawkdave007
I am hearing rumors about Zach Lujan OC at South Dakota State here in SoDak. Lot of smoke about him going to Northwestern but Iowa has also been in the rumor mill. SDSU plays in the FCS Championship Saturday, so some of the timing makes sense.

LINK
He's from Chicago area and has a friend on NW's staff so that move would make sense.

Reactions: hawkdave007
My fear is that any potential OC candidates who favor more progressive offensive schemes would not be compatible with Kirk's football philosophy. I can't see that type of relationship working out, unfortunately.

I think

A) Brian getting FIRED,
and
B) The offense not being even competitive

were big wake-up ‘calls’ for KF.

I believe he’ll make a strong hire and allow this OC to do his thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT