ADVERTISEMENT

Kueter or Hill?

I think Kueter if he feels like he's ready. If he were just wrestling, then I think a redshirt is a no brainer. He's very raw and needs mat time. But if you don't think you'll have him for 5 years, no sense in saving him.

should be kueter...sunday showed he's in AA contention

whats even the point in a redshirt this year? every year its going to be the same situation where he's coming in january, after football season. this season he didn't play much, so he was relatively healthy coming in. future years, when he's coming off 4 months of big ten football, he's more likely to be recovering from football season, whether thats an injury or just wear and tear

whats even the point in a redshirt this year? every year its going to be the same situation where he's coming in january, after football season. this season he didn't play much, so he was relatively healthy coming in. future years, when he's coming off 4 months of big ten football, he's more likely to be recovering from football season, whether thats an injury or just wear and tear
On top of that, if he sticks with football and is preparing for the NFL combine/draft after his senior year, there is no chance he will wrestle at all that year. For one, the combine is in late February/early March (this week this year) and he has to prepare specifically for those events to maximize his draft stock, and second, any injury during wrestling could cost him millions of dollars, so there is no chance in hell he will wrestle that season and there is no reason to ever redshirt him in wrestling knowing he's going to be unavailable for one of the wrestling seasons anyway. If it's not him this year, the only reason would be that Hill is beating him for the spot, which seems unlikely although not impossible since Hill has been pretty good at times this year, too.

On top of that, if he sticks with football and is preparing for the NFL combine/draft after his senior year, there is no chance he will wrestle at all that year. For one, the combine is in late February/early March (this week this year) and he has to prepare specifically for those events to maximize his draft stock, and second, any injury during wrestling could cost him millions of dollars, so there is no chance in hell he will wrestle that season and there is no reason to ever redshirt him in wrestling knowing he's going to be unavailable for one of the wrestling seasons anyway. If it's not him this year, the only reason would be that Hill is beating him for the spot, which seems unlikely although not impossible since Hill has been pretty good at times this year, too.
I’m thinking that if Hill is beating him in the room at this stage in the game Hill would be ranked higher than mid-20s. Kueter seems capable; if he wants to go I say let him go. Also I like that he’s pretty capable of some funky stuff as a HWT.

You absolutely can not make a decision based on this I suppose but what are the odds that Hill walks if Kueter goes? Hill is not exactly an elite talent but I honestly would not be shocked if at least 6 other teams in big conferences would not take him. I think he's got a lot to offer over the next three years.

Seems to me like there should be wrestle offs at three weights to determine who goes. An argument can be made for all at 33, 49 and hwt.
But, I believe Kueter goes if he wants to.

Seems to me like there should be wrestle offs at three weights to determine who goes. An argument can be made for all at 33, 49 and hwt.
But, I believe Kueter goes if he wants to.
The arguments outside of 33 aren’t all that great, IMO. Rathjen has beaten VV head to head already, and he’s had better overall results. And I don’t think a wrestle off tells us anything at Hwt either. Either you want to preserve BK’s RS or you don’t.

I have no idea how Hill vs Kueter goes, but I don't think 133 and 149 are even close if people are healthy. That is based on SS results and subsequent dual meets. I don't care how they do in practice or even wrestle-offs because they are different than real competition. That is if Teske and Rathjen are healthy. Teske seems to have a real problem with staying that way.
I will say it makes no sense to redshirt BK if he's better than Hill, because he's not going to wrestle five years unless his football career falls on its face.

I am not convinced (as others seem to be) that Ben will be an NFL talent. He’s a heck of an athlete but we’ve not seen enough to come to this conclusion, IMO. It would seem to me he needs to redshirt & put weight on for both sports. That said, if he’s beating Hill & wants to go, let him have at it…
I mentioned the treigning lab in one of our threads & said it somewhat sarcastically but there’s no doubt he needs to beef up for both sports. I’m absolutely tickled with the improvement we’ve seen from Hill (& Glazier).

Re: 133 - love the fight I see in Teske & always look forward to watching him wrestle. I would not be surprised to see him end up on the podium and wouldn’t be happier for a kid from the Dirty Dodge to AA in his final year wrestling😊.

Rathjen all the way @ 149…

I am not convinced (as others seem to be) that Ben will be an NFL talent. He’s a heck of an athlete but we’ve not seen enough to come to this conclusion, IMO. It would seem to me he needs to redshirt & put weight on for both sports. That said, if he’s beating Hill & wants to go, let him have at it…
I mentioned the treigning lab in one of our threads & said it somewhat sarcastically but there’s no doubt he needs to beef up for both sports. I’m absolutely tickled with the improvement we’ve seen from Hill (& Glazier).

Re: 133 - love the fight I see in Teske & always look forward to watching him wrestle. I would not be surprised to see him end up on the podium and wouldn’t be happier for a kid from the Dirty Dodge to AA in his final year wrestling😊.

Man, do you guys not remember the Keddy/Beatty glowup?

Kueter is in the right place to put on weight.

Agree Bones, I'm not sold on Keuter being an NFL prospect anytime soon as he has long way to go. He was healthy during the football season this year and didn't even get into 4 games (max before you burn a redshirt) on special teams which is telling. I think Ross is the better college and NFL prospect. He has freakish length and looks like a 6-4, 255 lbs defensive end to me.

Go with BK to make the football fans sweat more when he makes the podium as an undersized true freshman.
Why would that make fball fans sweat? As long as he keeps progressing on the field he will be headed to a major payday. Money is a big factor and be hard to turn away from that. Fball comes first.

I think it is Teske at 133, as he has looked great in his last 4 matches. I think he has turned a corner that CS hasn't turned yet. Rathjen is absolutely our best 149 and I hope his knee is ok as he can reach the podium and keeps improving every match. BK has to be the guy going forward. He is better, getting better every day, and his RS is meaningless as he ain't wrestling for 5 years. If Rathjen is healthy and the Hawks wrestle like they did last Sunday it is going to be a f#n next 3 1/2 weeks.

6409460.jpg

3193679390_d88339d99a.jpg

For those that don't remember.

Without the football part, a redshirt would make perfect sense. He is undersized and very raw. Another year in the room to fill out a bit more and get used to the grind would make a substantial difference.

However, the football part is huge and can't be ignored. As long as he keeps playing football, he will never have a full year in the room. If he wants to go and the staff believes he is signicantly better than Hill, you put him out there simply because his future in wrestling is uncertain...

if he wants to go . that's the question. he's at the end of long road.if his body and mind are tuned, then he better go it might never sinc up again

Let him wrestle. Brands said he's a sponge and gets better very quickly.

He'll learn more at the B1G tourney and will be ever better for NCAAs.

He may very well become amazing at linebacker and leave early anyway.

Why redshirt if he’s the best we have and not likely to see a fifth year in school or even four years of wrestling if he goes pro football route? I don’t get it.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Let the kid go in the post season. He is a big stage athlete and he has all the ability to beat almost anyone in K.C. If he goes post-season I'd be betting he AAs.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Why would that make fball fans sweat? As long as he keeps progressing on the field he will be headed to a major payday. Money is a big factor and be hard to turn away from that. Fball comes first.
FB fans seem to think he will go wrestling full time. And wrestling fans think he will go football full time. Just making a joke really that we could tip the scale in our favor if he had some early success

Reactions: Trapper85
FB fans seem to think he will go wrestling full time. And wrestling fans think he will go football full time. Just making a joke really that we could tip the scale in our favor if he had some early success
I feel like the only pushback is if football isn’t going to be the choice 7 of the top 10 clear out this year and he’ll be theoretically bigger next year. If he can get to 245 and be in wrestling shape looks to be a scary thing. Probly top 3 for 4 years

Agree Bones, I'm not sold on Keuter being an NFL prospect anytime soon as he has long way to go. He was healthy during the football season this year and didn't even get into 4 games (max before you burn a redshirt) on special teams which is telling. I think Ross is the better college and NFL prospect. He has freakish length and looks like a 6-4, 255 lbs defensive end to me.

4 games? I don't believe he played a single snap in any game. Although I think that's honestly more of a reflection on Kirk's method of barely utilizing underclassmen moreso than Keuter's football abilities.

You absolutely can not make a decision based on this I suppose but what are the odds that Hill walks if Kueter goes? Hill is not exactly an elite talent but I honestly would not be shocked if at least 6 other teams in big conferences would not take him. I think he's got a lot to offer over the next three years.
Their are far better prospects/wrestlers sitting on the bench in Happy Valley. That this is even a concern honestly is kind of silly. If we lose Hill, whom I like and would love to stay, oh well. It's not like he came in not knowing this was a plan. If it was my son, sure, I'd feel a little bummed by it, but again, the writing was on the wall long before this.

Why redshirt if he’s the best we have and not likely to see a fifth year in school or even four years of wrestling if he goes pro football route? I don’t get it.
You say “likely” and I’m thinking “who knows”. We don’t have a shot at winning NCAA’s this year, so it would seem best to hold him out. Ultimately, the decision is up to Ben & the coaches.

I was on a recruiting visit once (not wrestling) and I asked about redshirting. The coach said he never redshirts someone that can contribute to the varsity team because you never know what will happen in the future and shouldn’t waste any opportunities.

I say go Kueter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT