ADVERTISEMENT

Late Season Collapses

Frans teams his whole career have typically gotten stronger at the end. I really think it was just something with last year's seniors. Without Aaron White carrying the team two years ago, they would have folded three years in a row.

This team is different / Last years team had a great 4 year run but they had some limitations that this team does not have.

We are a great free throw shooting team, last year i'd cringe at end of game situations. Plus we hit big shots like the 3 last night. AND Fran is calling TO's

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
This team is pleasantly reversing the feelings from the last couple of years final weeks of the season. The feeling is very positive but if this team goes to Wash DC and loses the first game, those bad feelings will resurface. We really need to play several games in BTT for me to think the trend has changed. Besides, playing a couple of games in Wash DC most likely gets us in NCAA

This team has more weapon's than last year's team--more 3pt shooters and more guys with post scoring ability.

You only needed to guard Uthoff and Jok last year.

I would suggest for folks to read Fran in this link to better understand what Logic is saying here ^^^^ because he is spot on with the difference with this year's team compared to many others really. I love Fran's post game chat. Learn from it.

At the end of the day, Fran's just put together some very good talent with more very good talent on it's way. Very young still but they are starting to play better defense now too. Last night's game was impressive defensively holding Wisky to just 57 pts in their friendly confines with PU only doing better defensively holding Wisky to 55 pts but that was in Mackey too.. They were active, push backed and just as physical as Wisky was.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/mccaffery-on-the-win-over-wisconsin

Reactions: DanL53
This team has more weapon's than last year's team--more 3pt shooters and more guys with post scoring ability.

You only needed to guard Uthoff and Jok last year.
Correct. Last year Iowa was limited because Mike was not a threat offensively. I love Mike and how hard he worked and played of Iowa. But JBo's shooting opens floor spacing a ton.

Last year was limited because Woody, despite being such a good screener, defensive "linebacker"—and a pretty good offensive rebounder, was not a guy you could throw it to on the block, or run screen-roll game. Cook and Pemsl both give Hawks more complete offensive players.

You know who I would absolutely love to have on this team? Sapp, off the bench, to be a perimeter defensive pest.

Reactions: kceasthawk and Ree4
Better shooters on this team, and we go 11 deep. They aren't tiring out at the end like some of Fran's other teams

Better shooters on this team, and we go 11 deep. They aren't tiring out at the end like some of Fran's other teams

One of the above kind of touched on this too, but I don't know if they tired out or teams just adjusted and we couldn't adjust back? There's only so much you can do when you have two non-factors offensively out there with Gesell and Woodbury and a reluctant leading scorer in Uthoff. We were in almost every game during those collapses, just couldn't finish games off.

This team is pleasantly reversing the feelings from the last couple of years final weeks of the season. The feeling is very positive but if this team goes to Wash DC and loses the first game, those bad feelings will resurface. We really need to play several games in BTT for me to think the trend has changed. Besides, playing a couple of games in Wash DC most likely gets us in NCAA
Really? While I'm enjoying the NCAA speculation, I'd be more than happy with a consolation prize of 1-2 NIT games at Carver which barring 0-2 here in the next week seems pretty likely. I think the consensus is that these young guns have us back on the right trajectory (how many game winners did Gesell/Woody's class hit in year 1?). It seems like between Cook and Bohannon we can either go inside or out at the end of half or game situations. That is not to say that it will work, but we can play matchups to get better possessions than what we saw from Mike/Uthoff and co.

Correct. Last year Iowa was limited because Mike was not a threat offensively. I love Mike and how hard he worked and played of Iowa. But JBo's shooting opens floor spacing a ton.

Last year was limited because Woody, despite being such a good screener, defensive "linebacker"—and a pretty good offensive rebounder, was not a guy you could throw it to on the block, or run screen-roll game. Cook and Pemsl both give Hawks more complete offensive players.

You know who I would absolutely love to have on this team? Sapp, off the bench, to be a perimeter defensive pest.
Very true.........

Very true.........
I'm not going to ridicule anyone who thought Jbo was not a D1 point guard. Starting the year it was hard to say what we were getting with Jordan. He was not Frans first choice most likely, but these facts are clear. The young man is a baller. The moment is not to big for him. Jbo may not be the best point guard in the BIG, but if he improves from his maiden season, he'll be a damn fine player the next three years. Thrilled not only that he's a hawk, but that he's not a badger!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT