ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you emails after interviews

Is this still common practice?

I am hiring someone and only one of the four candidates I’ve interviewed thus far has followed up with an email reiterating their interest in the position.

I have always done that and when I’ve hired in the past (pre-COVID) most people followed up.

Another formality gone by the wayside?
I always do it. But I am old. And polite. 🙂

This is the correct answer.

There is a hierarchy to follow:

Interview >> Give handy to hiring manager >> Offer is made >> Give 2nd handy to hiring manager >> Meet HR to sign paperwork >> HR fists you >> Meet teammates >> Teammates peg you >> Meet IT guy to get setup >> Blow IT guy

It’s all covered in Emily Post under expressing gratitude in the workplace.
Rumor has it that Kevin Johns forgot this step.

This debate really brings back memories of our son growing up, and really even now as an adult. I'm more of a rule follower, go with the flow, learn what things might help and what things hinder in school/jobs. Like if I make it obvious I don't care for a teacher/subject, I assume that teacher will pick up on it and return the favor. Or if you aren't doing great in a class, sign up for office hours and go in, some profs give you credit for that. In college he couldn't get over what a waste of time many of the electives were, and it was a scam, etc. I went to a liberal arts college, and did I really want to take Ethics and Technology and sociology and modern western civ, probably not, but that was required to get my degree. I remember telling him if it was that bad, maybe he should go to a trade school or get a job. He did graduate from Iowa and has a good job, but sometimes his way of going about things seems like it makes things tougher to me. He really has a hard time with what I consider hoops you just jump through. I work with a guy the same way and he wanted a job so bad that was open and a promotion, but he didn't apply for it because "they need to come after me. I'm not begging for it, they need to come tap me on the shoulder." Of course they didn't do that and someone else got it and he is super mad. I guess we are all different and both ways work out for a lot of people.

It is a formality. It shows you know the formality, and are just being formulaic.
Not if you do it right.

When I’ve done it in the past I’ve mentioned specifics about what I learned and liked about the job in the interview and “getting to know the team” process, following that up
With specifics about why I think I’d be a good fit for the position and as a member of the team.

If you are sincere it is not a formality. If you aren’t interested enough in the job to do more than a mere formality thank you, you likely aren’t a good fit anyway.

Reactions: Moral
I googled recently to see where he landed, and I don't think he has landed a job yet. Maybe a bullet dodged!
Thread on the FB board that he ended up as an analyst somewhere. Must have forgotten to do sexual favors at the other OC jobs he applied to, as well.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Meh, I guess we're all different. I would never want to be in the employ of a person/company that expects you to kiss the ring.
And we for sure would never want a president that requires his people to grovel and get down on a knee and kiss that ring.

On a side note, whether you send me a thank you email for the interview or not has no bearing on whether I'm going to hire you or not. So it's pretty much a waste of time in my opinion.

Reactions: Moral
Meh, I guess we're all different. I would never want to be in the employ of a person/company that expects you to kiss the ring.
As a “thank you”, though, do you draw a line anywhere or do you think there’s simply no courtesy required at all? We say hello at first meeting, we (I assume) generally verbally issue a thank you for their time and say a professional goodbye. The way I see it, they didn’t have to pick my name from the pile to interview, so I can acknowledge the thank-you for their time.

I could almost predict who would have an issue with the formality of sending a thank you letter. And the why tracks with general view of the world they present.

I always send one if I enjoyed the interview and am interested. If I was ho hum, I don't bother. Even when I knew I was getting the job, I still extended the effort.

I could almost predict who would have an issue with the formality of sending a thank you letter. And the why tracks with general view of the world they present.

I always send one if I enjoyed the interview and am interested. If I was ho hum, I don't bother. Even when I knew I was getting the job, I still extended the effort.
I used to do it religiously. Now it depends on the situation. I’m blessed to be in a position in my life where an interview is more about me evaluating the company than it is the company evaluating me. And to be honest, if they expect me to jump through hoops and treat me like they’re doing me a favor by interviewing me, I’m not interested in working for that company anyway.

So it somewhat depends upon the power dynamic if we are going to begin negotiations. If I’m pretty confident they’re going to try and lowball me, I’m not sending a thank you letter that would indicate I think they were doing me a favor by speaking with me.

They’re probably not important at WalMart.

Um

Here I am reading this thread and thinking about times I have sent and have not sent thank you emails....and the reasons why and why not.

Also thinking about all the times I have received thank you emails...which is funny because I can't remember the one that didn't send one...but for sure remembered the ones that did if I am interviewing them again.

(Full disclosure based on social media policy...I work for Walmart...which I have stated before 😀)

Reactions: goldmom
How? You seem to want people to beg and be thankful for jobs. I want the companies to realize they make money by hiring the correct workers but they are in competition for them.
Sending a thank you note is begging?

An employer posts a job, you bother to apply and have an interview…why wouldn’t you want to do what you can to take every opportunity to sell yourself and show why you’re good for the role? Nobody’s saying you have to grovel or you can’t negotiate, but complaining about sending a three sentence follow up email?

I guess I don’t get it.

An employer posts a job, you bother to apply and have an interview…why wouldn’t you want to do what you can to take every opportunity to sell yourself and show why you’re good for the role? Nobody’s saying you have to grovel or you can’t negotiate, but complaining about sending a three sentence follow up email?

I guess I don’t get it.
What a load of horseshit. The thank you note is groveling.

I guess I don’t get it.
It’s common courtesy.

And it surprises you Northern doesn’t understand that?

I don't do it and I don't take it into consideration when hiring.
I know I've received a few but if I'm not sold after the interview a thank you won't change that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT