ADVERTISEMENT

Lee, I've never seen him this chippy.

I will need to go back and watch but he gassed very early in the Iowa State match to start his year.
True, he didn't do much of anything starting in the second period. Still, getting the pin in the *first* period really doesn't say anything about his gas tank, does it?

True, he didn't do much of anything starting in the second period. Still, getting the pin in the *first* period really doesn't say anything about his gas tank, does it?
Don't need a gas tank if you don't wrestle past the first period. In general though I would argue his body language and activity looks better now than it did early in the season. He looks more fluid and comfortable.

The throw by Ramos was really nice. The thing that was great about it is that he doesn't hesitate. I feel like so many guys think about going for a throw but when they hesitate and want to make sure it is there but by the time you wait the opportunity is gone or your opponent can counter.

I will need to go back and watch but he gassed very early in the Iowa State match to start his year.
This has been stated in the past, but he wasn't scheduled to wrestle against Iowa State. He had not been wrestling live in the room, but only wrestled to save bonus points for Iowa State and to earn bonus points for Iowa. It was early. He had surgery in January of last year. It is normally a year before wrestling with one ACL repair and coming back from two is unprecedented. Getting back on the mat at 11 months for a dual was crazy, but he did it.

Don't need a gas tank if you don't wrestle past the first period. In general though I would argue his body language and activity looks better now than it did early in the season. He looks more fluid and comfortable.

The throw by Ramos was really nice. The thing that was great about it is that he doesn't hesitate. I feel like so many guys think about going for a throw but when they hesitate and want to make sure it is there but by the time you wait the opportunity is gone or your opponent can counter.

Yes, both moves by Ramos were really nice; I think the lack of hesitation in the throw was even better - almost always guys kind of “settle in” before they hit the move. He got the overlooks in and immediately launched it. He’s going to be a dangerous guy.

Spencer has been tested this year, and it will help him. In 7 matches he's been taken down 4 times, reversed once, and thrown to his back once. And he still won all 7 by bonus. He's shown he can pin top guys and come back when he's down.

He's got 4 top-10 opponents over the next 4 weeks. I feel much better about him running that gauntlet now than I did a month ago.
Yes, both moves by Ramos were really nice; I think the lack of hesitation in the throw was even better - almost always guys kind of “settle in” before they hit the move. He got the overlooks in and immediately launched it. He’s going to be a dangerous guy.
They went over/under, SL immediately gave him forward pressure on his wrong foot and got launched.

i think he had that series in mind coming into the match. it was perfectly set up by his first takedown. hit a shuck when spencer peeled his russian tie for the first takedown. went back to it a second time and spencer blocks with a seatbelt. ramos immediately steps in and launches him. i would be shocked if he hasn't hit that before in the room. nasty.

This has been stated in the past, but he wasn't scheduled to wrestle against Iowa State. He had not been wrestling live in the room, but only wrestled to save bonus points for Iowa State and to earn bonus points for Iowa. It was early. He had surgery in January of last year. It is normally a year before wrestling with one ACL repair and coming back from two is unprecedented. Getting back on the mat at 11 months for a dual was crazy, but he did it.
Crazy indeed but you read too much into my post.
He gassed early, wanted to see if it was in the first. No judgement, no questioning why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT