ADVERTISEMENT

Lets bust some myths today *NO POLITICS*

millah_22

HR Legend
Jun 15, 2004
Omaha
What are some of the things people on GIA seem to believe that simply aren't true at all?

NO POLITICS

Last edited:
That this thread won’t go political in the first 5 posts.
there that should do it

Images Repair GIF by getflexseal

Many posters believe that the officials made the wrong call on the DeJean punt return. That is not true. The Big Ten confirmed that the correct call was made.
I was watching the 2001 fiesta bowl between Oregon State and Notre Dame, and OSU did the same thing and had an invalid fair catch called against them. It was called back AND had a 5 yard penalty tacked on.

Now I'm a little less vocal about it not being a fair catch.

Many posters believe that the officials made the wrong call on the DeJean punt return. That is not true. The Big Ten confirmed that the correct call was made.

What's hilarious is that same big 10 included that play in Cooper Dejean's highlight video after he got drafted.

I don't think I've ever seen a play that got legitimately wiped off the board included in a player's highlight video by the conference. Not the school, not fans, the conference.

What's hilarious is that same big 10 included that play in Cooper Dejean's highlight video after he got drafted.

I don't think I've ever seen a play that got legitimately wiped off the board included in a player's highlight video by the conference. Not the school, not fans, the conference.
Wasn't the Clowney vs Michigan hit a penalty in game?

I was watching the 2001 fiesta bowl between Oregon State and Notre Dame, and OSU did the same thing and had an invalid fair catch called against them. It was called back AND had a 5 yard penalty tacked on.

I find the way the call was made to be far more infuriating than the actual call itself. If the officials on the field had waved it off immediately because they felt that DeJean's motions affected the play then, while I may not have agreed with it, I would have been able to accept it as bad judgement by the official. But it is undeniable that his arms were in fact moving. If Minnesota players had reacted to it then I probably would have agreed with the officials. But that's not what happened. The replay official stuck his nose into the play to call something that the replay wasn't even looking for. Something like that needs to be a call made by the official on the field, not the replay official.

I find the way the call was made to be far more infuriating than the actual call itself. If the officials on the field had waved it off immediately because they felt that DeJean's motions affected the play then, while I may not have agreed with it, I would have been able to accept it as bad judgement by the official. But it is undeniable that his arms were in fact moving. If Minnesota players had reacted to it then I probably would have agreed with the officials. But that's not what happened. The replay official stuck his nose into the play to call something that the replay wasn't even looking for. Something like that needs to be a call made by the official on the field, not the replay official.
100% agree

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Officials are never the reason a team loses a game...except for the 2006 Outback Bowl (while a horrid call, the refs didn't cost Iowa the game by canceling CDJ's punt return, Iowa's inept offense cost them the game).

Reactions: JWolf74
Officials are never the ONLY reason a team loses a game...except for the 2006 Outback Bowl (while a horrid call, the refs didn't cost Iowa the game by canceling CDJ's punt return, Iowa's inept offense cost them the game).

FIFY

That said, officiating as a whole is not that bad, it's just that with today's technology every potential mistake or mis-step is analyzed and re-analyzed so that officiating on a whole seems worse than it ever was before.

Nearly every fan of every sports league all thinks that officiating in their league is the worst and it's worse than it ever was before. It seems highly unlikely that they are all correct.

Now granted individual officials can be bad, make terrible mistakes, and screw things up which help cost teams games that is as true now as it was in the past. But on the whole. I'm not buying it. Fans of every sports league all seem to think their officiating is the worst.

This. Had it been called on the field I could accept it. By doing so via replay, and then in a media follow up the next week conceding that 2 different camera angles showed two different things and still defending the call, THATS what makes me angry.

That and knowing we couldn’t gain 20 yards for a FG attempt.

I always thought that Florida State was an inferior institution. But I have a really bright student who had many good options, but is choosing to attend FSU for computer science.

Reactions: millah_22
I like to think of it this way: calling the punt return back and having Brian's lame offense not bailed out again by random lightning strikes may have been what Beth needed to terminate Brian. So, it was a fair trade, in my book.

This. Had it been called on the field I could accept it. By doing so via replay, and then in a media follow up the next week conceding that 2 different camera angles showed two different things and still defending the call, THATS what makes me angry.

That and knowing we couldn’t gain 20 yards for a FG attempt.
Also, there wasn't a single person in the stadium who even had that call on their radar, on either side. Everyone was thinking that he possibly stepped out of bounds, but as long as he stayed in bounds it was a touchdown.

A similar call was the incomplete pass in the B1G championship that was ruled a fumble. No one on the field was thinking it was a fumble, including the Michigan player who happened to "recover" it and nonchalantly hand it to the nearest official. But that had no impact on the outcome, so no one is really upset about it.

I always thought that Florida State was an inferior institution. But I have a really bright student who had many good options, but is choosing to attend FSU for computer science.
FSU is ranked higher than Iowa.

When I got into Iowa my mom kept telling people "Iowa is the harvard of the west" and I had to finally say "mom, I don't think that's true."

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
FSU is ranked higher than Iowa.

When I got into Iowa my mom kept telling people "Iowa is the harvard of the west" and I had to finally say "mom, I don't think that's true."
Iowa is a great value. I have a couple of different degrees from it which have served me very well in life. But yeah, it isn't the Harvard of anything. Not even the state of Iowa, relative to other schools in the state.

Reactions: millah_22
Iowa is a great value. I have a couple of different degrees from it which have served me very well in life. But yeah, it isn't the Harvard of anything. Not even the state of Iowa, relative to other schools in the state.
Myth: Is Iowa the Harvard of the west?

Result: BUSTED!

Reactions: seminole97
I
I like to think of it this way: calling the punt return back and having Brian's lame offense not bailed out again by random lightning strikes may have been what Beth needed to terminate Brian. So, it was a fair trade, in my book.
I really wasn't that upset about the call due to this reason. I would've rather taken the loss than having Kirk and Brian boast about the win that had nothing to do with our craptastic offense but was bailed out again by the incredible special teams play

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT