ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk about opposing player jumping over the Line during a FG; this happened to Iowa recently?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I forget. Didn't this cost us recently when an opposing player jumped over our linemen during a FG attempt?

This is illegal, correct? What is the penalty? And the refs missed it in that Iowa game?

Well, apparently the same thing happened to Michigan State last Saturday.

If this is illegal, why aren't the refs calling it?

Watch:

Well, here's the rule. I still don't understand what's legal or a penalty.o_O

No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump or stand on an opponent.

It is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a field goal or try by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent.

It is not a foul if a player leaps through or over the gap between players.

No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may: 1. Step, jump or stand on a teammate. 2. Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height. 3. Be picked up by a teammate, or be elevated, propelled or pushed.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I forget. Didn't this cost us recently when an opposing player jumped over our linemen during a FG attempt?

This is illegal, correct? What is the penalty? And the refs missed it in that Iowa game?

Watch:

I'm not listening to Dantonio speak. Did they show the play in question? I didn't see the end of the game.

As for us, yes this has happened to Iowa numerous times since around the 2015 season, I believe.........

It's really more on Iowa to draw the penalty, than it is the other team, even though the act can be a penalty.

Opposing teams cannot leap over the line while making contact with any blockers. If they do that, it should be called a penalty every time.

However, the quirk in the ruling is that if they don't make contact with anyone.......then it's perfectly legal. :confused:

And the reason why it's dumbfounding that Iowa has allowed this same thing to happen numerous times is because it comes down to a flaw in their blocking scheme......which has them misinterpreting the rule, so they all would crouch down low for blocking leverage, and the opposing team's athletic players would just easily hurdle our guys who would just simply watch in bewilderment as they get jumped over, and the PAT gets blocked.

All Iowa would have to do to fix this is either A. NOT GET SO F***ING LOW.......or B. JUST RAISE YOUR DAMN ARMS AND TOUCH THE F***ING GUYS TRYING TO JUMP OVER YOU.

If Iowa does option B, at all, then they would presumably draw the penalty......if the refs weren't being a**holes to begin with and missed the call, anyway.

But referees trying to help Iowa in their efforts to lose key games in Big Ten play is.....well.........BAU.

I'm not listening to Dantonio speak. Did they show the play in question? I didn't see the end of the game.

As for us, yes this has happened to Iowa numerous times since around the 2015 season, I believe.........

It's really more on Iowa to draw the penalty, than it is the other team, even though the act can be a penalty.

Opposing teams cannot leap over the line while making contact with any blockers. If they do that, it should be called a penalty every time.

However, the quirk in the ruling is that if they don't make contact with anyone.......then it's perfectly legal. :confused:

And the reason why it's dumbfounding that Iowa has allowed this same thing to happen numerous times is because it comes down to a flaw in their blocking scheme......which has them misinterpreting the rule, so they all would crouch down low for blocking leverage, and the opposing team's athletic players would just easily hurdle our guys who would just simply watch in bewilderment as they get jumped over, and the PAT gets blocked.

All Iowa would have to do to fix this is either A. NOT GET SO F***ING LOW.......or B. JUST RAISE YOUR DAMN ARMS AND TOUCH THE F***ING GUYS TRYING TO JUMP OVER YOU.

If Iowa does option B, at all, then they would presumably draw the penalty......if the refs weren't being a**holes to begin with and missed the call, anyway.

But referees trying to help Iowa in their efforts to lose key games in Big Ten play is.....well.........BAU.
LOL.
The guy jumped the C and used the other lineman to push off to get height and clear the LOS.
There is one Ref assigned to watch this, he was there with an unobstructed view and did nothing.
Bottom line, this is MSU and its fans whining about a loss. Im certain MSU had plenty of offensive and defensive holding that were never called against them in the game that may have changed the outcome.
Evil, check out how many times your description of this play happening to Iowa actually occurred and get back to us.
It has happened to Iowa and it was never called. I can't say I ever felt it was the reason a FG or XP was missed.

Watch:

I saw that as the play unfolded. When it wasn't called, my thought was that it must be an NFL rule. Guess I was wrong. It's hard for me sometimes to keep the 2 leagues and their rule differences straight.

Reactions: Franisdaman

No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump or stand on an opponent.

It is a foul if a defensive player moves forward and tries to block a field goal or try by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.

It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent.

No defensive player, in an attempt to block, bat or catch a kick, may: 1. Step, jump or stand on a teammate. 2. Place a hand(s) on a teammate to get leverage for additional height. 3. Be picked up by a teammate, or be elevated, propelled or pushed.
I don't get that. If there was a big enough gap for a defender they wouldn't be jumping! So basically you just have to be slightly to one side of a defender to jump on them?

Mainly against Michigan. They coach their long snappers on how to draw that flag. Got a bogus one against Wisconsin on the same thing last year.
why-you-lying.jpg

Coach Jimmy would NEVER allow anyone to bend the rules at MI!

Reactions: Blair Sanderson
Ok, here they discuss the rule.

@Blair, can ANYONE from the opposing team touch the center on a special teams snap? As you can see, the Michigan State center got knocked on his butt.

If not, were there 2 penalties? 1) touching the center; 2) leaping the line.

Watch:

LOL.
The guy jumped the C and used the other lineman to push off to get height and clear the LOS. (I see that now. Yes, that ASU player committed a penalty.)

There is one Ref assigned to watch this, he was there with an unobstructed view and did nothing.
Bottom line, this is MSU and its fans whining about a loss. Im certain MSU had plenty of offensive and defensive holding that were never called against them in the game that may have changed the outcome.

Evil, check out how many times your description of this play happening to Iowa actually occurred (I'll do no such thing....) and get back to us. (.....Okay I'm back.)
It has happened to Iowa and it was never called. (As I was saying.......) I can't say I ever felt it was the reason a FG or XP was missed.
(I don't know what that means......but the fact is there were one or two instances in the past where the defender did make contact with one of our blockers and it wasn't called.........otherwise, like I said, there's been a handful of cases in the last few years where a defender leapt over our line without touching our blockers and either almost, or did, block the PAT or FG try. So take that however you want. :))

I watched the game live. It should have been called. Not sure if it had anything to do with why the kicker missed the kick but a guy getting that kind of height by pushing off the line definitely would have got his attention. If this happened to us I'm sure we would have a dozen posts on here complaining how the refs cost us the game.

You can't be back off of the LOS and run forward and jump over the OL at the snap. You also can't use an opponent or teammate to leverage yourself up to attempt to block it.

The ASU defender was guilty of leveraging on the MSU OL in order to get extra height to attempt to block the kick.

Pretty obvious, but if it had to happen to someone, glad it was Dantonio.

Reactions: iahawks10
Ok, here they discuss the rule.

@Blair, can ANYONE from the opposing team touch the center on a special teams snap? As you can see, the Michigan State center got knocked on his butt.

If not, were there 2 penalties? 1) touching the center; 2) leaping the line.

Watch:

Long snappers can be contacted after a 1 second delay.

Reactions: iahawks10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT