ADVERTISEMENT

Lionel Messi picks Inter Miami, giving Major League Soccer its biggest superstar ever

I would think he is way too old to take up soccer. He was big with the Commodores in the 70's and then took off like a rocket in his solo career in the 80's with Hello, All Night Long, Say You, Say Me. Some great slow dancing songs. I had a major thing for his daughter Nicole at one time, not sure why, can't explain it, but I liked her.

hello-lionel-richie.gif

Sounds like Messi has some rock solid ethics going on or something.

I think his wife definitely didn't want to live in Saudi Arabia with the kids. Messi can also live in Miami and not be harassed at all time unlike Europe or South America

Reactions: lucas80
I thought US Americans didn't care about soccer?
I mean, many of those followers are likely from Europe and Asia and other global soccer hotbeds.

It is very exciting news for the MLS though.

If it could get to be even 75% as good quality soccer as the Premier League, I'd watch a hell of a lot more games.

Reactions: Ree4
I mean, many of those followers are likely from Europe and Asia and other global soccer hotbeds.

It is very exciting news for the MLS though.

If it could get to be even 75% as good quality soccer as the Premier League, I'd watch a hell of a lot more games.
I think he’s referencing the fact that all his MLS games are now sold out.

Reactions: torbee
I think he’s referencing the fact that all his MLS games are now sold out.
Yes, they have sold out their 25,000 seat stadium.

Would they sell out the 65,000 seat Hard Rock stadium though?

Not sure. I love soccer, but no, it is not going to overtake football or basketball or even baseball in terms of American attendance any time soon. And that is fine, it is still growing in popularity.

Not sure. I love soccer, but no, it is not going to overtake football or basketball or even baseball in terms of American attendance any time soon. And that is fine, it is still growing in popularity.
They sold out all of their road games within 24 hours as well. I think they would be damn close to sellouts every time at Hard Rock Stadium.

Reactions: torbee
They sold out all of their road games within 24 hours as well. I think they would be damn close to sellouts every time at Hard Rock Stadium.

I'm going to be in Florida next month and I'm hoping they move their games to Hard Rock so I can actually afford a ticket. This is like trying to watch Caitlin Clark in person!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

I think it's partially why he wanted to come here
It’s not even remotely true though:

PS - I see he’s gained 9 million Instagram followers since the Miami announcement. That’s more than the team accounts for every American sports team apart from the Warriors and Lakers. The US is a huge market opportunity for soccer players.

It’s not even remotely true though:

PS - I see he’s gained 9 million Instagram followers since the Miami announcement. That’s more than the team accounts for every American sports team apart from the Warriors and Lakers. The US is a huge market opportunity for soccer players.

I mean not completely unrecognized but he certainly doesn't have throngs of people following him like he does elsewhere.

I imagine at least half the people at that Publix were wondering why the other half wanted selfies with this guy. And for Messi that's a 50% improvement!

Nice of him though to still stop and take the selfies.

I mean not completely unrecognized but he certainly doesn't have throngs of people following him like he does elsewhere.

I imagine at least half the people at that Publix were wondering why the other half wanted selfies with this guy. And for Messi that's a 50% improvement!

Nice of him though to still stop and take the selfies.
Miami isn’t exactly New York, where the expectation is you’ll leave people alone. Still infinitely better than Europe for someone like Messi.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Sounds like Publix is a major sponsor for Inter Miami. He also drove to first practice in an Audi, also a sponsor. Cool to see him get out, but this is all media obligated stuff.

Reactions: sabula
Soccer isn't basketball.

Having a superstar striker/attacking midfielder is a huge, huge boon. But no guarantee of championships. Believe me, I'm a Liverpool fan :mad:
I feel your pain being a Spurs fan. Salah is one of the best

In terms of attendance no but in terms of TV watching it's insanely close to overtaking baseball.

Thing is that NFL, NBA, MLB are all alone at the tops of their respective sports. When it comes to soccer there is probably a dozen other leagues that are better than the MLS and so most American fans watch EPL, La Liga, Serie A, or Bundesliga.

NBC paid more total money for 6 years of broadcasting rights of the EPL than Apple TV paid for 10 years of broadcasting the MLS.

The power of American soccer fandom can only really be fully measured in TV deals. It can't be measured by attendance of the MLS.

In terms of attendance no but in terms of TV watching it's insanely close to overtaking baseball.

Thing is that NFL, NBA, MLB are all alone at the tops of their respective sports. When it comes to soccer there is probably a dozen other leagues that are better than the MLS and so most American fans watch EPL, La Liga, Serie A, or Bundesliga.

NBC paid more total money for 6 years of broadcasting rights of the EPL than Apple TV paid for 10 years of broadcasting the MLS.

The power of American soccer fandom can only really be fully measured in TV deals. It can't be measured by attendance of the MLS.
Name TWELVE better leagues than MLS. Because I’d say England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, and maybe Liga MX. That puts us tenth. That’s typically about where I see us in the metrics as well.

Name TWELVE better leagues than MLS. Because I’d say England, Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, and maybe Liga MX. That puts us tenth. That’s typically about where I see us in the metrics as well.

Austrian Bundesliga. . . and at the rate things are going, Saudi Pro League.

Anyways 10th or 12th doesn't really change the point. The MLS is not the top league out there or really all that close.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I think the Apple TV thing is dumb. They are trying to build the sport here. Putting it behind a paywall for nearly all games and limiting it to a very small audience is not good business. Get in broadcast TV. If they want to get new fans, casual fans, they have to make it more accessible.

I think the Apple TV thing is dumb. They are trying to build the sport here. Putting it behind a paywall for nearly all games and limiting it to a very small audience is not good business. Get in broadcast TV. If they want to get new fans, casual fans, they have to make it more accessible.
They’ve been on FS1 and/or FOX network every weekend. Plus, Apple offers a free game almost every week. Global revenue is the driver there:

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
Looks like ole Ronaldo is a little pissy about Messi going to MLS

"The Saudi league is better than MLS,” Ronaldo said following Al Nassr’s 5-0 pre-season friendly defeat to Celta Vigo, Reuters reported."

Lol...Celta is a relegation level La Liga team

Bitter

I look for him to be more and more bitter. For the longest time it was a real debate as to which one of them was better but since Messi won the World Cup I think most people have now settled on Messi.

I can't imagine he's too happy about being considered 2nd best.

That said if the Saudi pro league isn't better now it probably will be. They just have so much cash to flush that it's almost assured that they will be better.

I look for him to be more and more bitter. For the longest time it was a real debate as to which one of them was better but since Messi won the World Cup I think most people have now settled on Messi.

I can't imagine he's too happy about being considered 2nd best.

That said if the Saudi pro league isn't better now it probably will be. They just have so much cash to flush that it's almost assured that they will be better.

I dont think so. No one sees it or cares. Sure he gets a lot from the dirty oil money and is a gigantic whore, but no one in Europe, South America or North America cares about the Saudi League. You cant even see it on TV.

I dont think so. No one sees it or cares. Sure he gets a lot from the dirty oil money and is a gigantic whore, but no one in Europe, South America or North America cares about the Saudi League. You cant even see it on TV.

Yes but pro-soccer players play for money and they seem to have more money than anyone. I mean the contracts they were offering to Messi and Ronaldo make their European contracts look tiny.

And honestly if enough good players move there, TV time will likely follow.

Yes but pro-soccer players play for money and they seem to have more money than anyone. I mean the contracts they were offering to Messi and Ronaldo make their European contracts look tiny.

And honestly if enough good players move there, TV time will likely follow.

You are not seeing the players in their prime even consider it. Haaland, MBappe, Neymar...nope.

Just the guys at the end looking for a payday.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT