ADVERTISEMENT

Lionel Messi picks Inter Miami, giving Major League Soccer its biggest superstar ever

7 goals in 4 games is what I was afraid of. Realistically he's good for crowd draws. But if you want to convince people that we have a high level league, he's doing the opposite of that. It just shows that a Messi who is very close to retirement can dominate and get like 2+ goal involvements per 90.

It looks almost like an NBA player who for some reason was allowed to go back and play high school ball.

Watched where’s last night. Dallas defended him perfectly in the box, yet he still hit two miraculous goals. I’

Wouldn't say they defended him "perfectly" on that one goal; he trailed down the middle late, and no one marked him.

They need to play him like a soccer "Box-And-1" defense. Someone is always fronting him. He's sneaky.

Some of the follow up regarding that goal specifically has been brutal.

Apparently that's the 3 time MLS keeper of the year and "30mph shot from 70 yards out" is the narrative.

The MLS just isn't that good. 😕
Andre Blake is a Jamaican international and only not in the EPL because of work permit issues, and bad injury timing. People are stupid.

EDIT: Can’t remember who has been doing it, but every time Messi scores and the anti-MLS knuckle draggers get snarky, there’s ALWAYS video of him doing the exact same things to score in Spain and France. Dude is just playing on a different plain.

Andre Blake is a Jamaican international and only not in the EPL because of work permit issues, and bad injury timing. People are stupid.

EDIT: Can’t remember who has been doing it, but every time Messi scores and the anti-MLS knuckle draggers get snarky, there’s ALWAYS video of him doing the exact same things to score in Spain and France. Dude is just playing on a different plain.
Yeah.... but those crazy videos of him skinning people are usually 5 or more years old.

It is what it is.

That's a goal he doesn't score in Europe.

He's fun to watch but he's making the MLS look pretty bad and it seems clear he's going to have more than 1 goal involvements per 90.

Yeah.... but those crazy videos of him skinning people are usually 5 or more years old.

It is what it is.
Guys, look at how many of these were at PSG and read the comments. It’s only become more common, and the weird eurosnobbery of Americans has made it clear that they haven’t seen much of Messi since moving from Barca…

7 goals in 4 games is what I was afraid of. Realistically he's good for crowd draws. But if you want to convince people that we have a high level league, he's doing the opposite of that. It just shows that a Messi who is very close to retirement can dominate and get like 2+ goal involvements per 90.

It looks almost like an NBA player who for some reason was allowed to go back and play high school ball.
Maybe so, but sometimes you need a measuring stick to figure out where you need to go.

Amazingly, last place in MLS Miami is potentially looking at winning a double, as they had already made the US Open Cup Semifinals before Messi’s arrival. Messi and co. have work to do on the road here though. Start the second half down 1-0 on a Luciano Acosta goal. Game on TV on Telemundo, and streaming on Paramount+.

UPDATE: USMNT striker Brandon Vazquez makes the climb back harder: a worm burning rocket from distance. 2-0 Cincy.

Last edited:
LOL, I thought Messi and Inter Miami's run was about to end then he gets an assist in the 97' to send it to extra time
And Josef Martinez gets Miami the lead seconds into extra time. We’re really going to see Miami on the verge of winning a double while last place in MLS, aren’t we?

Former Japan World Cup squad man Yuya Kubo makes it 3-3 for Cincy in the second half of extra time. Awesome twists and turns in this match.

Soccer writer Matt Doyle with the statistics showing it’s just Messi being Messi:

F5WqFddX0AA3es-

Well glad I didn't go looking for Fire tickets for the game against Miami, Messi didn't even play.

Of course the dumb thing is that record breaking crowd was there to see a player from the away team who didn't even play.
Wild thing is that it didn’t sell out until after they had announced Messi wasn’t going to be there. I mean Sergio Busquets, and Jordi Alba are nice to see, but the Fire ticket office worked hard, selling it as a massive game with playoff implications and being part of the record (which it was). They also got Lil Durk for the halftime show.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT