ADVERTISEMENT

Lionel Messi picks Inter Miami, giving Major League Soccer its biggest superstar ever

I look for him to be more and more bitter. For the longest time it was a real debate as to which one of them was better but since Messi won the World Cup I think most people have now settled on Messi.

I can't imagine he's too happy about being considered 2nd best.

That said if the Saudi pro league isn't better now it probably will be. They just have so much cash to flush that it's almost assured that they will be better.
Maybe so but they play in nearly empty stadiums

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I look for him to be more and more bitter. For the longest time it was a real debate as to which one of them was better but since Messi won the World Cup I think most people have now settled on Messi.

I can't imagine he's too happy about being considered 2nd best.

That said if the Saudi pro league isn't better now it probably will be. They just have so much cash to flush that it's almost assured that they will be better.
The Saudi League will run into WAG problems. The crazies are already calling for Ronaldo’s gf to be locked up.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
25 minutes into his first start and Messi already needs one more for his first hat trick. Robert Taylor is going to earn a huge transfer too, if he keeps playing this well in the Messi era:

Reactions: JupiterHawk
As entertaining as it is to watch, having Leo Messi rip apart MLS defenses probably does not put a positive spin on the league as a whole.

Don't get me wrong Messi is going to get his no matter where he goes. In his last season in France at 35 he was still getting about 1 goal involvement per 90.

But If he comes here at 36 and starts putting up 2+ goal involvements per 90, I can't say it looks good for the league.

Considering that he's probably around 4 goal involvements per 90 at this point. A rate of 2 per 90 or more doesn't seem improbable.

As entertaining as it is to watch, having Leo Messi rip apart MLS defenses probably does not put a positive spin on the league as a whole.

Don't get me wrong Messi is going to get his no matter where he goes. In his last season in France at 35 he was still getting about 1 goal involvement per 90.

But If he comes here at 36 and starts putting up 2+ goal involvements per 90, I can't say it looks good for the league.

Considering that he's probably around 4 goal involvements per 90 at this point. A rate of 2 per 90 or more doesn't seem improbable.
Well, his first game was ripping up a Mexican team. And Finnish national team attacker Robert Taylor also had two goals and an assist to match Messi for Miami. This pace won’t continue, but the dude is clearly playing with joy and unreal confidence right now.

A couple of hard slide tackles might slow him down a little...

He won't get that.

At this point he's such a legend that no one wants to be known as the guy who injured Messi.

Volunteer Hand Up GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I would. I cant, but there are others like me I am sure.

Well, his first game was ripping up a Mexican team. And Finnish national team attacker Robert Taylor also had two goals and an assist to match Messi for Miami. This pace won’t continue, but the dude is clearly playing with joy and unreal confidence right now.

Yeah, can we pump the brakes until he plays a road game against a good team? I love Messi, but everyone is already shitting on MLS after 1 game vs. MLS competition in the Leagues Cup

I went to the mall for the first time in a long time. Every single sports store had pink Miami jerseys in the window. The vendors with carts were selling them, too.

I live in Colorado and we’re less than two months from an NBA championship. I was surprised.

I went to the mall for the first time in a long time. Every single sports store had pink Miami jerseys in the window. The vendors with carts were selling them, too.

I live in Colorado and we’re less than two months from an NBA championship. I was surprised.
They said on the broadcast last night that Adidas sold out their initial allotment and won’t have any manufactured and shipped until October.

Reactions: mnole03

My SiL is a huge futbol fan, but he doesn't watch much MLS. He said pretty much the same. Messi goes to the worst team and all of a sudden they look like a steamroller?

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
My SiL is a huge futbol fan, but he doesn't watch much MLS. He said pretty much the same. Messi goes to the worst team and all of a sudden they look like a steamroller?
Did he mention they also had Sergio Busquets join along with Leo? Any knowledgeable fan would point this out.

The MLS's big problem anymore isn't the lack of soccer fandom in the United States, it used to be that but it's not anymore.

Their big problem instead is that a lot of the soccer fans like your SIL and myself included would rather watch another league.

The MLS's big problem anymore isn't the lack of soccer fandom in the United States, it used to be that but it's not anymore.

Their big problem instead is that a lot of the soccer fans like your SIL and myself included would rather watch another league.
Correct. Which is silly because, by every metric, MLS is clearly becoming a top 10 league in the world. The 2026 World Cup could legitimately launch them into the top 7. The investment in young international players like Thiago Almada, Adalberto Carrasquilla, John Duran, Robert Taylor etc. (not to mention our MLS academy development) has been huge.

The Saudi League will run into WAG problems. The crazies are already calling for Ronaldo’s gf to be locked up.
WAG problems? Does that have to do with the restrictions Saudi Arabia puts on women?

It will force teams to upgrade if they want to compete. The only question is how many years Messi can compete at this level. Hopefully they can get 3 years out of him.

The very fact that he will basically ensure a sellout in every stadium he plays in can help. This move helps the teams they play against as much as it helps Miami (well, maybe not that much but this is huge for the league). How much will the Fire make when they host Miami to a sold out Soldier Field in October? Not that they will do anything smart with the payday, but that will happen accross the league.

Reactions: Joes Place
WAG problems? Does that have to do with the restrictions Saudi Arabia puts on women?
Girlfriends can’t live with players and wives can’t post thirst traps on Instagram.

They’re ignoring both laws for Ronaldo, but there have been a lot of public complaints about it.

Soccer stars have the same issue NBA players do. What good is it being 23-24 and having millions of dollars if you can’t live like a baller?

Correct. Which is silly because, by every metric, MLS is clearly becoming a top 10 league in the world. The 2026 World Cup could legitimately launch them into the top 7. The investment in young international players like Thiago Almada, Adalberto Carrasquilla, John Duran, Robert Taylor etc. (not to mention our MLS academy development) has been huge.
MLS teams need to do better in the international club team competitions for the reputation to improve. But it has been a slow and steady improvement for decades now.

It will force teams to upgrade if they want to compete. The only question is how many years Messi can compete at this level. Hopefully they can get 3 years out of him.

The very fact that he will basically ensure a sellout in every stadium he plays in can help. This move helps the teams they play against as much as it helps Miami (well, maybe not that much but this is huge for the league). How much will the Fire make when they host Miami to a sold out Soldier Field in October? Not that they will do anything smart with the payday, but that will happen accross the league.
Going to pay off bigly for US soccer over the next 5-10 years. Not just MLS; US MNT will get a boost from elevated levels of play within our own ranks.

I like soccer....played it through high school......... but don't follow it super closely now (especially when Atlanta United sucks). Can you put it into a baseball analogy? Let's say Premier League and La Liga are major league teams.

Would MLS be Rookie league, A, AA, or AAA quality?

I like soccer....played it through high school......... but don't follow it super closely now (especially when Atlanta United sucks). Can you put it into a baseball analogy? Let's say Premier League and La Liga are major league teams.

Would MLS be Rookie league, A, AA, or AAA quality?

AAA

Wow. That's way better than I thought (high A or AA). I would have thought Bundesliga or Serie A are AAA-level.

I dont think the big 4 Euro Leagues have separation from each other. Some are more top heavy.

The Bundesliga loses great players, then brings in another crop of great young guys. Rinse, repeat.

I dont think the big 4 Euro Leagues have separation from each other. Some are more top heavy.

The Bundesliga loses great players, then brings in another crop of great young guys. Rinse, repeat.
Wow. That's way better than I thought (high A or AA). I would have thought Bundesliga or Serie A are AAA-level.
JR has pretty much nailed it. Take away Bayern and Dortmund some years, and you pretty much have MLS. The Leagues Cup has been infinitely more watchable than these preseason euro friendlies where they don’t have their touch or chemistry.

BTW, MLS putting up some lopsided wins over Liga MX lately. Minnesota, Philly, and New England have all put up wins by 4 goals the last two days. Dallas had one by 3 goals.

Last edited:
Watched where’s last night. Dallas defended him perfectly in the box, yet he still hit two miraculous goals. I’

AAA might be kind. Might be more like AA depending on what country you are comparing it to.

If you figure wage bills roughly equals the quality of the league, the English 2nd division usually has higher wage bills than MLS teams.

That said though the English premier league is starting to dominate in terms of spending and wages and they are in recent history probably the most successful country in terms of the Champions league.

Reactions: cfbfan23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT