ADVERTISEMENT

Loose Meat Sandwich

prlyles

HR Heisman
Aug 19, 2006
Was reading about the best sandwiches by state and saw you guys are known for these. Please describe them to us that have never had one. TIA

A tavern sandwich (also called a loose meat sandwich or loosemeat) is a sandwich consisting of ground beef on a bun, mixed with sauteed onions, and sometimes topped with pickles, ketchup, mustard, and cheese.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Something like this. Pure deliciousness. NOT a sloppy joe. My recipe includes ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, creamy horseradish, salt, pepper and the family seasoning blend. Top with onions and pickles.

qvnz63pzzuzhs18wpmia.jpg

A tavern sandwich (also called a loose meat sandwich or loosemeat) is a sandwich consisting of ground beef on a bun, mixed with sauteed onions, and sometimes topped with pickles, ketchup, mustard, and cheese.
Is the meat seasoned in any way?

You've never had a loose meat sandwich (aka MaidRite)? They're basically a sloppy Joe without the tomato sauce, pretty damn bland and boring if you ask me.

If you make them at home be sure to add cola extract to get the authentic MaidRite taste.

Everyone in Iowa knows however that the pork tenderloin sandwich is a far more representative sandwich for the State of Iowa, because it's huge (like most of us) and it's fried. Iowans want every food item fried, including all of our vegetables. Ranch dressing on the side is a mandatory condiment as well.

Was reading about the best sandwiches by state and saw you guys are known for these. Please describe them to us that have never had one. TIA
http://www.maid-rite.com/

Loose Meat? How can people have never heard of Maidrite, it has been around for 100 years. Meat is seasoned, but the key is the steam table they are made on, you can not make these without the steam table.

OK, I got to ask this so be kind. Are they really good or are they good because you grew up eating them like I did chopped N.C. bbq?

Depends on what you like, some can be very bland, but with the right ingredients, they are tasty without being a saucy mess. Give me a couple of those and some fries, onion rings or cheese balls and it's a great day.

Depends on what you like, some can be very bland, but with the right ingredients, they are tasty without being a saucy mess. Give me a couple of those and some fries, onion rings or cheese balls and it's a great day.
I hope to try one sometime. I love eating regional food.

http://www.maid-rite.com/

Loose Meat? How can people have never heard of Maidrite, it has been around for 100 years. Meat is seasoned, but the key is the steam table they are made on, you can not make these without the steam table.

Awfully defensive. Are you a cook or server?

I’ve heard of him, but I’m in the 99% of the country that’s never eaten one.

Awfully defensive. Are you a cook or server?

I’ve heard of him, but I’m in the 99% of the country that’s never eaten one.
I love regional food. Here in western N.C. we eat livermush which I am sure most of the country would gag on but I love it. Things like this is what really makes America great...

OK, I got to ask this so be kind. Are they really good or are they good because you grew up eating them like I did chopped N.C. bbq?

They are really good, but they are a mess and frankly I'm not sure a hamburger bun is the right delivery vehicle. I think they work better on a hot dog bun or even something more substantive like a brat bun or a hoagie bun. You need to also have the meat strained well, because they are "wet". Initially, lots of meat falls out onto the plate and then eventually the bun breaks apart and more meat falls onto the plate. You pretty much have to finish one with a fork.

Reactions: torbee
This will draw "boo this man" insults but not the same as sloppy joes and ground taco-seasoned beef are WAY better than maid rites, which are just too bland. it is just crumbled up ground beef without bringing the dick heat flavor.
I would actually like it without the raw onions.

THE BLUE MILL TAVERN LOOSEMEAT
SANDWICH
1 lb ground chuck, round, or sirloin
1 tablespoon fat like lard (if meat is round or sirloin) or 1 tablespoon Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)
2 teaspoons salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of skillet
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar

Get out a cast iron skillet - they are the best for ground meats (or any kind if you have no iron skillet).
Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt the bottom of skillet. Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon - this is very important. The meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.

Add chopped onion while browning meat. Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat. When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet. Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan. Cook, at a simmer, until water is all cooked out - between 15-20 minutes.

Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Heat hamburger buns - they're traditionally steamed for loose meats. I like mine toasted lightly. Do it the way you like it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of water I omit the sugar and add Coke and chicken broth. I don't use the lard either. Good either way.

THE BLUE MILL TAVERN LOOSEMEAT
SANDWICH
1 lb ground chuck, round, or sirloin
1 tablespoon fat like lard (if meat is round or sirloin) or 1 tablespoon Crisco (if meat is round or sirloin)
2 teaspoons salt, just enough to lightly cover bottom of skillet
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar

Get out a cast iron skillet - they are the best for ground meats (or any kind if you have no iron skillet).
Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt the bottom of skillet. Break ground beef up in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon - this is very important. The meat must end up being cooked up into small crumbles.

Add chopped onion while browning meat. Keep working with the back of spoon to break up meat. When meat is browned, drain off any fat and return meat to skillet. Add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and just enough water to barely cover meat in the pan. Cook, at a simmer, until water is all cooked out - between 15-20 minutes.

Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Heat hamburger buns - they're traditionally steamed for loose meats. I like mine toasted lightly. Do it the way you like it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of water I omit the sugar and add Coke and chicken broth. I don't use the lard either. Good either way.
Post like this is great. Now I can make something close to what you guys eat here in N .C

Reactions: Tom Paris
I love regional food. Here in western N.C. we eat livermush which I am sure most of the country would gag on but I love it. Things like this is what really makes America great...

Livermush the food sounds great, the name, not so much.

I might be the only one....but loose meat sandwiches are gross. No one makes them the same so you never know what’s going to show up in them. About 20 years ago I was severely grossed out by them and it’s forever ruined them for me.

I was a vol. Firefighter and we would have an annual fundraiser in my small town. Each FF family was responsible for cooking 40 lbs of this loose meat recipe and then freeze it. At the fundraiser they would thaw and mix together in roasters and serve. The cooking was a hodgepodge and not in a controlled environment. There were some pretty nasty, unclean people on the FD. Effing GROSS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT