ADVERTISEMENT

Loyalist or Revolutionist?

Should Tom resign/be fired?

• Total voters

Rotisserie Scrotz

All-Conference
Aug 19, 2023
Are you in his corner, or do you want a regime change? Take a side, I wanna know the temperature of the best fanbase in the world.

What about an Undecided box (bubble)? Some of us want a plan in place and a commitment from his successor before we decide that. I want to know who we're bringing in, and what kind of changes he's implementing fo catch PSU.
Change needs to happen, but it must be good change. Change just to be changing could end up worse than no change.

What about an Undecided box (bubble)? Some of us want a plan in place and a commitment from his successor before we decide that. I want to know who we're bringing in, and what kind of changes he's implementing fo catch PSU.
Change needs to happen, but it must be good change. Change just to be changing could end up worse than no change.
If you want more of the same, vote no.
If you want different results, vote yes.
If you don’t know what you want, go be an Indiana fan or something.

LOL. What is the plan you want? You will decide only after a new coach has been named? That might be a little after the fact. I’m pretty sure that after a successor has been named you won’t have to decide, that decision will already have been made.

Can’t really pick on ISU, now, can I?
That’s how effin bad this has gotten. Gotta pick on Indiana now.
It's been 7,054 days since ISU beat Iowa.

I graduated in 2003 with 52 kids in my class. Two kids I graduated with are now grandparents.

Christopher Reeves was still rolling around. Julia Childs was bloody chopping it up. Ray Charles could be seen. Dimebag Darell was shredding.. Ronald Reagan was Gipping.. Marlon Brando.. Reggie White.. Rick James.. Bitch!

Millie Bobbie Brown was born that year. .. Facebook was just a Harvard idea then..

20 years is a long time ago.. You can always pick on ISU. It's easy. Always will be.

It's Hawkeye State.. Bitch!

LOL. What is the plan you want? You will decide only after a new coach has been named? That might be a little after the fact. I’m pretty sure that after a successor has been named you won’t have to decide, that decision will already have been made.
Good point, but exactly my point. We don't get to make the decision because we don't know the options or have all the facts. All this poll does is tell us the number of adversaries we have. But we still don't make this decision, no matter what knowledge we might acquire. It might be a fun poll to see how it comes out, but it will show the division on this board, and Lord knows we have plenty of that.
I've never liked fence-sitters, and I'm usually pretty vocal about which side I'm on, but I see both sides of this argument and I really am undecided.

The loyalists have been driven off by PSU Trolls and now revolutionaries. You’re asking the Loyalists to vote and they’re thinking, “You can kiss my ass.”
I''m confused about how you're being driven off. You've mentioned things like 'some changes will occur, although they may not be visible,' but you don't elaborate on what you mean. I've asked multiple times what makes you believe that Tom and Terry will finally adapt and improve recruiting and training methods for the team, but you haven't responded.

I've mentioned that I'm not ready to give up on TNT yet, but I'm also not confident that we'll see any different results by next March. I didn't participate in this poll because I believe Tom should remain our head coach for the 2024 season, but if significant changes don't happen by next year and Beth can recruit someone like David Taylor to take over, she absolutely needs to pull the trigger.

I''m confused about how you're being driven off. You've mentioned things like 'some changes will occur, although they may not be visible,' but you don't elaborate on what you mean. I've asked multiple times what makes you believe that Tom and Terry will finally adapt and improve recruiting and training methods for the team, but you haven't responded.

I've mentioned that I'm not ready to give up on TNT yet, but I'm also not confident that we'll see any different results by next March. I didn't participate in this poll because I believe Tom should remain our head coach for the 2024 season, but if significant changes don't happen by next year and Beth can recruit someone like David Taylor to take over, she absolutely needs to pull the trigger.
First, the loyalist have left the board. I suspect some still look but don’t post.
The things which aren’t visible, aren’t visible to some. I think the nutrition and rest/ relaxation components are in a better place than it was two years ago. I haven’t been to practice for 4 years but the guys I know who have been say the long grueling 45 minute gos are less. I have seen Tom and Terry at practice they are very positive and light hearted and fair. Every indication says they still are. What I am saying is, the guys aren’t getting beat into submission.
Because we aren’t getting National Champs, our guys don’t get better gets old. PSU has dominance and other teams probably aren’t going to catch them. We are the only team among the living which enjoyed such dominance and the only team to beat Penn State since the run started.
Mendez and Bouzakis were probably the most disappointing recruiting misses.
We had to have Paddy Gallagher, the kid from Minnesota who went to Cornell to name a couple who didn’t pan out.
From a recruiting standpoint we need to add one more top 10 Pfp per year in addition to what we are currently getting. to become more relevant. I believe it’s attainable. The shiny new building will help.

TNT aren’t blind to are inability to scramble. There will be a lot of technique drilling in the offseason on finishing quickly. There will be more film study.
We might become more boring because we are expending to much energy and time being in positions we don’t need to be in, like scrambling and long finishes. The solution, Caliendo boot scoots and duck unders, Ayala slide byes, DeSanto finishes. Spencer’s mentality of the best time to get backs is when you’re finishing a takedown.
We are trending up with fewer injuries to our starters.
We wrestled closer to our seeds this year than we have in the past.
There is a lot riding on Spencer’s upcoming Olympic run. His success or lack of it will have lasting impacts on the program. I am looking for him to succeed. Having Warner in the room is a plus from a personality standpoint. He is a fun guy and pretty laid back which is needed in the room and hopefully he can help recruit.

How much can worse can you get then being 100 points behind PSU and fifth place? That's pretty much as bottom of barrel as you can get with Iowa's resources and tradition. I would venture to guess some posters on this board could do that as Iowa's coach with zero experience.

First, the loyalist have left the board. I suspect some still look but don’t post.
The things which aren’t visible, aren’t visible to some. I think the nutrition and rest/ relaxation components are in a better place than it was two years ago. I haven’t been to practice for 4 years but the guys I know who have been say the long grueling 45 minute gos are less. I have seen Tom and Terry at practice they are very positive and light hearted and fair. Every indication says they still are. What I am saying is, the guys aren’t getting beat into submission.
Because we aren’t getting National Champs, our guys don’t get better gets old. PSU has dominance and other teams probably aren’t going to catch them. We are the only team among the living which enjoyed such dominance and the only team to beat Penn State since the run started.
We had to have Paddy Gallagher, the kid from Minnesota who went to Cornell to name a couple who didn’t pan out.
From a recruiting standpoint we need to add one more top 10 Pfp per year in addition to what we are currently getting. to become more relevant. I believe it’s attainable. The shiny new building will help.

TNT aren’t blind to are inability to scramble. There will be a lot of technique drilling in the offseason on finishing quickly. There will be more film study.
We might become more boring because we are expending to much energy and time being in positions we don’t need to be in, like scrambling and long finishes. The solution, Caliendo boot scoots and duck unders, Ayala slide byes, DeSanto finishes. Spencer’s mentality of the best time to get backs is when you’re finishing a takedown.
There is a lot riding on Spencer’s upcoming Olympic run. His success or lack of it will have lasting impacts on the program. I am looking for him to succeed. Having Warner in the room is a plus from a personality standpoint. He is a fun guy and pretty laid back which is needed in the room and hopefully he can help recruit.
I’m sorry man, but this post is years and years of rinse and repeat. We hear that TNT aren’t blind to what needs to be fixed, and that we were “this” close to getting AA and national champions to commit but it just didn’t work out. We hear that we’re on the precipice of finally breaking through but end up further behind.

Sorry, I’ve seen this movie before. Hard pass.

I’m sorry man, but this post is years and years of rinse and repeat. We hear that TNT aren’t blind to what needs to be fixed, and that we were “this” close to getting AA and national champions to commit but it just didn’t work out. We hear that we’re on the precipice of finally breaking through but end up further behind.

Sorry, I’ve seen this movie before. Hard pass.

Then stop watching and go route for a team you can get behind.

I appreciate the response, but if TNT think the solution is finishing shots faster, they are still completely oblivious to the fact that you WILL be in tough positions and you WILL have to wrestle out of them.

Again, these issues have been going on for the better part of a decade. If “finishing faster” is the only solution they can come up with and they still view scrambling as "expending too much energy and time in positions we don't need to be in", that’s more proof that it’s time for a change.

As Askren said in 2017:

“I talk about this all the freaking time but you (DT) said, "Who cares if people can get to a leg because people are going to scramble today?" And my take on Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, and Penn State is pretty much the exact opposite, is that they refuse to admit that scrambling is a part of the game, so none of their guys do it, so none of their guys have a feel for it when they aren't getting it in the practice room. So then they get in a match and they are scared that someone is going to scramble on them, so they don't pull the trigger, so then they have no offense. You can't get people tired if you don't have any offense - it's the ruin of the Iowa system and then PSU flips the script and they have guys like Jason Nolf who will wrestle in any position on the planet."​
DT later goes on to say, "The days of shooting 55 high crotches every single day with perfect finishes doesn't happen. It doesn't happen in a match and it really shouldn't be happening in practice or even in a drill."​

Sadly, it sounds like these critiques of Iowa wrestling still hold up seven years later, and "finishing faster' and avoiding scrambling situations certainly isn't the answer.

Also, if the future of the program hinges on Spencer Lee’s success, then maybe they should have fixed his knees immediately in 2021. They were more worried about the team race in 2021-22 than Spencer’s long-term success. The way the NCAA tourney ended and how he wrestled at the U.S. Open weeks later, only to drop out again looked terrible. Spencer is a fierce competitor, but TNT should have known better. He wasn’t ready mentally or physically, so be the adult and COACH him into resting and taking care of himself.

So again, I am having trouble seeing the ‘master plan’ that Tom and Terry are working on here. I think they are in over their heads and they’re scrambling by bringing in the Ferraris and majorly overpaying for one-year transfers. I guess we will see what changes will be made this offseason, but I hope Beth has her ducks in a row to make a big move next spring because nothing you said gives me confidence this is getting fixed.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the ol “you can’t be a fan” BS. You defend Brands blowing smoke up ppls asses and wonder why others want a change and cry about the “loyalists” being driven out of here? Lolz.
We saw this before Jimmy Z got the boot. Loyalists were pi$$ed at the idea of regime change. But I was so happy to have TnT taking over. Unfortunately the sport has passed them up. Even high school kids can see it.

Last edited:
We saw this before Jimmy Z got the boot. Loyalists were pi$$ed at the idea of regime change. But I was do happy to have TnT taking over. Unfortunately the sport has passed them up. Even high school kids can see it.
My great aunt was one of those—she owned a bar in town and was a big donor to the department. Jimmy got axed and she stopped her donations lol!

You’re 100% correct. Not only do TNT not give much effort to recruiting but elite kids, for the most part, want very little to do with them.

I appreciate the response, but if TNT think the solution is finishing shots faster, they are still completely oblivious to the fact that you WILL be in tough positions and you WILL have to wrestle out of them.

Again, these issues have been going on for the better part of a decade. If “finishing faster” is the only solution they can come up with and they still view scrambling as "expending too much energy and time in positions we don't need to be in", that’s more proof that it’s time for a change.

As Askren said in 2017:

“I talk about this all the freaking time but you (DT) said, "Who cares if people can get to a leg because people are going to scramble today?" And my take on Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, and Penn State is pretty much the exact opposite, is that they refuse to admit that scrambling is a part of the game, so none of their guys do it, so none of their guys have a feel for it when they aren't getting it in the practice room. So then they get in a match and they are scared that someone is going to scramble on them, so they don't pull the trigger, so then they have no offense. You can't get people tired if you don't have any offense - it's the ruin of the Iowa system and then PSU flips the script and they have guys like Jason Nolf who will wrestle in any position on the planet."​
DT later goes on to say, "The days of shooting 55 high crotches every single day with perfect finishes doesn't happen. It doesn't happen in a match and it really shouldn't be happening in practice or even in a drill."​

Sadly, it sounds like these critiques of Iowa wrestling still hold up seven years later, and "finishing faster' and avoiding scrambling situations certainly isn't the answer.

Also, if the future of the program hinges on Spencer Lee’s success, then maybe they should have fixed his knees immediately in 2021. They were more worried about the team race in 2021-22 than Spencer’s long-term success. The way the NCAA tourney ended and how he wrestled at the U.S. Open weeks later, only to drop out again looked terrible. Spencer is a fierce competitor, but TNT should have known better. He wasn’t ready mentally or physically, so be the adult and COACH him into resting and taking care of himself.

So again, I am having trouble seeing the ‘master plan’ that Tom and Terry are working on here. I think they are in over their heads and they’re scrambling by bringing in the Ferraris and majorly overpaying for one-year transfers. I guess we will see what changes will be made this offseason, but I hope Beth has her ducks in a row to make a big move next spring because nothing you said gives me confidence this is getting fixed.
Great post.

I’ll respect it because it was their choice, but I’ll never understand why Lee and his circle thought it was in his best interest to not get surgery immediately following the NCAA tournament. It gets brought up all the time on here that COVID has negatively impacted Lee’s career, and I agree with that. But the decision to hold off on the surgery had just as much, if not more of a negative impact.

Here’s to hoping that Lee comes out guns blazing at the Olympic Trials. He’s done so much for the Iowa program and I wish him nothing but the best.

My great aunt was one of those—she owned a bar in town and was a big donor to the department. Jimmy got axed and she stopped her donations lol!

You’re 100% correct. Not only do TNT not give much effort to recruiting but elite kids, for the most part, want very little to do with them.
Its important to keep alumni engaged and i dont know many alum that like TT or their leadership. And i know alot of alumni. They are a great recruiting tool, they run clubs and they donate money. They have been disconnected from tt and program.

Its important to keep alumni engaged and i dont know many alum that like TT or their leadership. And i know alot of alumni. They are a great recruiting tool, they run clubs and they donate money. They have been disconnected from tt and program.
Yeah they just raised millions for a new standalone wrestling facility with no alumni support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spoons
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT