ADVERTISEMENT

Loyalist or Revolutionist?

Should Tom resign/be fired?

• Total voters
i am a long time lurker with a question. Does hiring DT mean that SL is no longer the heir apparent? i can’t see DT coming to iowa as a stop gap for 4-5 years keeping the seat warm for SL.
SL was only anointed heir apparent by this message board. there is no formal agreement. Yes, if We hire DT Spencer would not be in the running for HC unless DT leaves us for PSU

Apples and oranges. The Patsies sucked since Brady left. Never liked them anyway, but I don't watch pro sports very much.

Coaching decisions should be based on performance, and a lot of other things too (culture, tradition, fit, etc.). If you think that a coaching change will fix all of Iowa men's wrestling problems, then you are delusional, unless that change is accompanied by much more money (beyond the new facility), FAR better marketing, and more patient fans. Vodka, you are living proof that the last bit isn't going to happen anytime soon. ;)

As much as I appreciate your passion about this (and I really like you), I can't agree with your solution at this time. Besides, something tells me that Tom may hang it up fairly soon anyway, so all the torch-bearers may get their wish, and the rest of us will find out if they were right.
If TNT are going to hang it up soon then there needs to be a succession plan in and it needs to start immediately.

So, if that is true, they should start ironing that out this off season.

That's all the more reason to get someone like DT, Dake or JB in Iowa City sooner than later.

I disagree BUT he would still score more than zero there.
I think brands rd of 12-16, cass 5-8th, cobe 1-2, assad(coin flip from 0-2 to rd 12-16)

But it wouod of been assad or brands right? Or does brands beat kennedy?

I think brands rd of 12-16, cass 5-8th, cobe 1-2, assad(coin flip from 0-2 to rd 12-16)

I think brands would have beat kennedy at 74 probably. Just my guess. I also think brands was better tournament time than Assad.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Brands not wrestling would have yielded the same point total as not having a qualifier at 184? How did you come to this conclusion?
Simple. Just because he AA'd at 174 last year doesn't mean he would have AA'd at the next weight up this year. The boys are bigger and he likely wouldn't be a full size 184 pounder.

• Haha
Reactions: T8KUDWN

Brands would have been much higher than that. 184 was the weakest weight class this year that I can remember at any weight .Plott is not good. Brands beat him twice last year. Take keickesen out and it’s down right bad

Brands would have been much higher than that. 184 was the weakest weight class this year that I can remember at any weight .Plott is not good. Brands beat him twice last year. Take keickesen out and it’s down right bad
No weight class in D1 is “down tight bad”first off. Love nelson but other than a great cinderella story natty run last yr i would say he lit world on fire. Defensive juggernaut but not many pts. No AA at 84 this yr and a fight to get there at 174 imo

Reactions: el dub
No weight class in D1 is “down tight bad”first off. Love nelson but other than a great cinderella story natty run last yr i would say he lit world on fire. Defensive juggernaut but not many pts. No AA at 84 this yr and a fight to get there at 174 imo

I will stand by my word and re phrase it. The worst division 1 wrestling class that I can ever remember. I say he would have been an all American without much problem. Gabe stood toe to toe with Plott this year and he was under sized and a true freshman. Nelson would of been fine

I will stand by my word and re phrase it. The worst division 1 wrestling class that I can ever remember. I say he would have been an all American without much problem. Gabe stood toe to toe with Plott this year and he was under sized and a true freshman. Nelson would of been fine
You could be right however history tells us our guys dont make improvement jumps and nation wide the 6th/7th yr guys had challenges. I dont see him placing at 84 at least i woupdnt bet on it

Without gamblegate we easily finish second. Problem is second sucks.

The fact that "gamblegate" happened, including one of the coaches son, is another indictment on the coaches.

Most of us agree that the punishments are absurd and excessive, but why are the athletes even making that mistake to begin with and the coaches son publicly stating that he wasn't aware of the policy?

i am a long time lurker with a question. Does hiring DT mean that SL is no longer the heir apparent? i can’t see DT coming to iowa as a stop gap for 4-5 years keeping the seat warm for SL.

David Taylor is 9 years older than Spencer and likely much closer to ending his competitive career and also more ready to take a serious coaching role. I'd like to see DT as head coach and Spencer as an assistant or HWC coach. Spencer is the best hawk this century and I believe he'd be a great coach. He's a lot further away from being in a position to head coach than David Taylor IMO.

Ill give you as good of chance to low AA as 0-2 but not winning.
Im techy challenged so dont know how to paste shit here but on X and PSU board there is a post that shows the top 25 teams by budget and their average finish at nationals. I’m sure one of you know how to put that on this board. I’ve been one of those guys always pushing Doug Schwab. You and I doesn’t even make the top 25 as far as budget but consistently finish in the top 15 or better. I think that says a lot about Schwab’s capabilities. If he had the support the Brands is have. I don’t know if he would catch Sanderson or not but I do think he would do a much better job at Iowa then with TNT have done.

Im techy challenged so dont know how to paste shit here but on X and PSU board there is a post that shows the top 25 teams by budget and their average finish at nationals. I’m sure one of you know how to put that on this board. I’ve been one of those guys always pushing Doug Schwab. You and I doesn’t even make the top 25 as far as budget but consistently finish in the top 15 or better. I think that says a lot about Schwab’s capabilities. If he had the support the Brands is have. I don’t know if he would catch Sanderson or not but I do think he would do a much better job at Iowa then with TNT have done.

Simple. Just because he AA'd at 174 last year doesn't mean he would have AA'd at the next weight up this year. The boys are bigger and he likely wouldn't be a full size 184 pounder.
Now you're arguing just to argue. WTF! Argue with PSU guys if you must but please don't act like a year in the room Brands scores nothing at nationals. You're being a schwantz!!

Looking at the chart below it looks like brands and Iowa are averaging about where they should according to finish and budget. Iowa state isn’t finishing high enough and uni is no where to be found. You must be related to Schwab. My two sense is if there’s a change we don’t need any of the ex Hawks you’ve mentioned. If we don’t go outside the program,we might as well keep what we got. I personally would like to see a new strength and conditioning coach with a change of all the assistants in some capacity.

Why don’t some of you T&T hater’s just go to Carver Arena and knock on Tom’s office door and tell him to quit because he just isn’t doing his job instead of being chicken shits or maybe go to the AD office and tell her that you want Tom fired and that you want a say in who the next coach will be instead of being chicken shits.

I'm a loyalist but also a realist. Tom's seat is hot right now. Let's not forget Iowa would have been the 2nd best team this year in 2 different scenario's, 1. if gambling gate does not happen, 2. if we pull Gabe Arnolds and Ben Kueters red shirts.

My 2 cents. Tom's boss could give him an ultimatum. You have 2 years to compete for a title. Get within single digits of the champion. If this does not happen you have to restructure your staff. You have 4 years to win a title or you are out. Getting within 9.5 of PSU in the next 2 years will be difficult but reasonable. Same with a title within 4 years. This time line also lines up with 2028 Olympics and would be good timing to bring in Spencer Lee or guys hanging them up after the 2028 cycle.

Reactions: crazyazn
I'm a loyalist but also a realist. Tom's seat is hot right now. Let's not forget Iowa would have been the 2nd best team this year in 2 different scenario's, 1. if gambling gate does not happen, 2. if we pull Gabe Arnolds and Ben Kueters red shirts.

My 2 cents. Tom's boss could give him an ultimatum. You have 2 years to compete for a title. Get within single digits of the champion. If this does not happen you have to restructure your staff. You have 4 years to win a title or you are out. Getting within 9.5 of PSU in the next 2 years will be difficult but reasonable. Same with a title within 4 years. This time line also lines up with 2028 Olympics and would be good timing to bring in Spencer Lee or guys hanging them up after the 2028 cycle.
The staff restructuring needs to happen immediately IMO but parameters or some type of ultimatum could serve the same purpose to force changes within the program. This seems reasonable…

Two more years of the current assistants? Four more years for TNT to finally try and get it right?

I’m sorry, but if we go four more years under the TNT philosophy, Iowa is going to lose whatever glamour it has left with today’s recruits. Again, this isn’t just about winning team titles but about how Iowa trains, competes and recovers, which currently isn’t attractive to most top level recruits. These shortcomings and blindspots have effectively being used to recruit against us for years and our coaching staff has refused to adapt.

The 2026 recruiting class is huge with Bassett and Forrest. I can promise you that the Hawks have zero chance of landing any of those studs with the current staff. If Iowa lets the Brands do their thing for another four years, it’s going to be that much harder to dig ourselves out of the hole.

It needs to be 2025 or bust for TNT. I’m not saying they need to win the team title, because I know that’s not happening, but if we don’t start seeing Iowa wrestlers improving their wresting in tough positions or their ability to finish shots, we need to pull the plug sooner than later for the future of Iowa wrestling.

TnT have had a tremendous run and deserve major credit for getting the program back on track after zalesky. We were in serious trouble before Tom took over.
But it's time for change. The sport has evolved and it appears as though they're having trouble keeping up.
I also don't think it's a sport that lends itself to coaching in your 50s unless you have outstanding assistant coaches and we don't.

TnT have had a tremendous run and deserve major credit for getting the program back on track after zalesky. We were in serious trouble before Tom took over.
But it's time for change. The sport has evolved and it appears as though they're having trouble keeping up.
I also don't think it's a sport that lends itself to coaching in your 50s unless you have outstanding assistant coaches and we don't.
you are 100% right.. We can all be happy that Tom Brands was the HC for the Hawkeyes... It can also be true that it is no longer working and changes can be made. Both things can be true.

Now you're arguing just to argue. WTF! Argue with PSU guys if you must but please don't act like a year in the room Brands scores nothing at nationals. You're being a schwantz!!
Did you actually read my post or is it that you do not know what "AA'd" means? I didn't even talk about how many matches he would possibly win. Read more carefully next time.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Did you actually read my post or is it that you do not know what "AA'd" means? I didn't even talk about how many matches he would possibly win. Read more carefully next time.
Brother, I read plenty careful. You were nitpicking just to argue. And I'm all about arguing but not on this one. You both sounded like the non-normal PSU guys who just come to HR to stir s**t up. I don't think I've ever had any issue with any of your posts until you jumped on this topic. Not hating just sharing my thoughts. I clearly have no room to talk. :)

Reactions: el dub and T8KUDWN
Brother, I read plenty careful. You were nitpicking just to argue. And I'm all about arguing but not on this one. You both sounded like the non-normal PSU guys who just come to HR to stir s**t up. I don't think I've ever had any issue with any of your posts until you jumped on this topic. Not hating just sharing my thoughts. I clearly have no room to talk. :)
Actually, I have always enjoyed your input. Cheers.

David Taylor is 9 years older than Spencer and likely much closer to ending his competitive career and also more ready to take a serious coaching role. I'd like to see DT as head coach and Spencer as an assistant or HWC coach. Spencer is the best hawk this century and I believe he'd be a great coach. He's a lot further away from being in a position to head coach than David Taylor IMO.
Correct. This Olympic cycle should be DT's last as a competitor. I have no idea how much interest he has in coaching, though. He has a good gig going right now with M2. Spencer should be a competitor at least through the 2028 Olympic cycle, possibly even one more depending on how his health holds up (and whether he makes it to the Olympics and a medal or not). *IF* there is mutual interest between DT and Iowa, they could bring him in and then get Spencer on as an assistant when he is done and then see where it goes from there.

As for the OP, I'm not going to vote in the poll, but TnT are still among the best coaches in the game, but their approach is flawed and suboptimal compared to Cael & PSU, so I wouldn't really strictly fall into either category. If you can find someone better, they're not irreplaceable, but as far as "should they be fired" without a better option already in the pipeline (whether DT or Spencer or anyone else), I don't think that's a great plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT