ADVERTISEMENT

*****MAGA in disarray, who will be speaker of the House***** McCarthy REMOVED! Jim Jordan 0-3. Election denier Mike Johnson confirmed. Vote them out

That is true. . . the question is if McCarthy's supporters have a path to negotiate with Democrats for some votes to make him speaker or not. Would the Dems do a deal with them or would they rather watch the R's melt down?

Do they even trust the R's enough to agree to a deal with them?

The good thing though is that if McCarthy is mad enough this could keep most of the craziest loons in the house out of committees.
But what would he be willing to give democrats? More importantly how could they trust him to deliver on those promises?

But what would he be willing to give democrats? More importantly how could they trust him to deliver on those promises?

IDK about trust but support on legislation perhaps or just a promise to keep the loons out of committee assignments. Even though MTG has been loyal to him he could sacrifice her in the name of becoming speaker. He could even sacrifice Santos and refuse to seat him or something.

Depends on how deep his ambition is and how far he's willing to go. How far he would be able to go before being considered a traitor.

IDK about trust but support on legislation perhaps or just a promise to keep the loons out of committee assignments. Even though MTG has been loyal to him he could sacrifice her in the name of becoming speaker. He could even sacrifice Santos and refuse to seat him or something.

Depends on how deep his ambition is and how far he's willing to go. How far he would be able to go before being considered a traitor.
The one thing I can see is a public promise to seat all democrats on committees.

This one I will actually excuse. In all likelihood this was drafted as a boilerplate release presuming the normal course of events (i.e. Speaker elected, new members sworn in, on Day 1). The communications person who drafted it likely had it pre-scheduled for release at a certain time on social platforms and failed to cancel it when the McCarthy fiasco happened.

However, given his past lies and antics, it is pretty funny and is fair game for mockery.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The one thing I can see is a public promise to seat all democrats on committees.
I think there would have to be some promise to limit ridiculous investigations into Hunter and other wastes of time as well. There's no way Democrats are going to support a Speaker who has promised his own party autonomy for endless investigations as political payback for Trump.

There was definitely a failure in the opposition research on this guy. Anyone responsible for the Zimmerman campaign should find another line of work.
Apparently they were aware of what he was doing but the DNC wasn't giving money to the campaign. To me, that's just excuse making after the fact because it should have only taken one phone call to anyone at MSNBC about what this guy was doing and it would have created at least a month's worth of content for that network and they would have done all the publicizing that was needed. I seriously blame the Democratic candidate more for this because that should have been an easy win. Hell, I would have won that campaign against that candidate. Or at the very least if I lost it would have been because people chose to vote for the serial liar (I won't think too much about what that would mean for me as a candidate :p)

Goddamn this is enormously satisfying, the shadenfreude is off the charts. Liz Cheney is smokng a fat, hand-rolled Caribbeaan cigar right now, comfortably reclining by the fireplace, and popping the cork on a bottle of vintage Italian wine she stashed for the occassion.

> Trump is allowing "My Kevin" to twist helplessly in the turmoil of a MAGA rebellion.

Tell me, how could Kevin McCarthy possibly foresee this happening?. After all, My Kevin politically resurrected Trump not long after he left office a defeated, disgraced pariah.

OIP.QevcP4QhJW7YjVEEuZnIIgHaFe

I submit that Kevin McCarthy is the victim here. He deserves our empathy. This is a highly unusul development that no one could have anticipated. Pray for Kevin.

These idiots just need to shut the government down now. There is no way in hell these morons in the GOP can negotiate a funding bill for the government. How many people are going to suffer because of these dipshits?

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Goddamn this is enormously satisfying, the shadenfreude is off the charts. Liz Cheney is smokng a fat, hand-rolled Caribbeaan cigar right now, comfortably reclining by the fireplace, and popping the cork on a bottle of vintage Italian wine she stashed for the occassion.

> Trump is allowing "My Kevin" to twist helplessly in the turmoil of a MAGA rebellion.

Tell me, how could Kevin McCarthy possibly foresee this happening?. After all, My Kevin politically resurrected Trump not long after he left office a defeated, disgraced pariah.

OIP.QevcP4QhJW7YjVEEuZnIIgHaFe

I submit that Kevin McCarthy is the victim here. He deserves our empathy. This is a highly unusul development that no one could have anticipated. Pray for Kevin.

Can the GOP elect *anyone* speaker without the democrats' help?

These idiots just need to shut the government down now. There is no way in hell these morons in the GOP can negotiate a funding bill for the government. How many people are going to suffer because of these dipshits?

The grown ups in the GOP will be forced to negotiate with Dems from a weakened position given that they don't have the votes in their own "majority" to pass any kind of spending bill.

Honestly I was looking over Santo's Wikipedia page and I'm never clear on what Santos actually did for a living other than apparently he was for a short time a customer service rep with Dish Network.

He seems to have some access to money. Where does it come from?
He may have, in Trumpian fashion, scammed money through his animal welfare charity that doesn't appear to have existed. His priest said Santos approached him after his mother's death and asked for help paying for her funeral as they didn't have the money. The church held a fund-raiser.

The grown ups in the GOP will be forced to negotiate with Dems from a weakened position given that they don't have the votes in their own "majority" to pass any kind of spending bill.
Nothing less than evenly split committees with co-chairs from each party would be acceptable. And there goes the GOP “investigate everyone” agenda.

I think there would have to be some promise to limit ridiculous investigations into Hunter and other wastes of time as well. There's no way Democrats are going to support a Speaker who has promised his own party autonomy for endless investigations as political payback for Trump.
That’s not going to happen. House Republicans have little legislative control anyway. They basically ran on investigating Hunter. If they give that up they are abrogating their entire agenda.

Could McCarthy even make a deal like that and win the primary when he runs for re-election?
McCarthy wouldn't have anyting to do with a deal like that - absent some 11th hour deal that awards him the Speaker's gavel, Kevin has been neutered. It would require some plurality of GOP members to side with Dems to get the House moving forward.

I don’t care for a lot of Chip Roy’s politics but he’s not wrong it would be better if there was more open, honest, good faith debate in Congress.

Reactions: VodkaSam
I don’t care for a lot of Chip Roy’s politics but he’s not wrong it would be better if there was more open, honest, good faith debate in Congress.
Absolutely correct. Speakers of both parties have used the gavel as a cudgel to retain power. Pelosi is certainly guilty. The last speaker, and admittedly I was younger, who looked for consensus was Tip.

The Hastert Rule, informally followed by both parties, is an absolute disaster. Basically nothing gets passed unless it has majority support from the majority party.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT