ADVERTISEMENT

*****MAGA in disarray, who will be speaker of the House***** McCarthy REMOVED! Jim Jordan 0-3. Election denier Mike Johnson confirmed. Vote them out

And another ballot bites the dust for Kevin!

This is amazing, I hope they keep it up all spring.
giphy.gif

None. Governing by divisiveness isn't going to work for them. years of it is coming home to roost.

edited - Also think it's funny, we see your black guy and raise you a blacker guy. Anyone else wonder if there is a component of Donalds' nomination?
MAGA is a losing strategy outside of a coup. While about 20-30% of Americans are for it, the rest think it's insanity including a lot of Republicans. The Dems would have a similar problem if the Progressives ever get fed up and start to fight as hard. Both sides have a fringe group who could make things a problem, but the Democrats had professionals who knew how to keep them in line. The Republican leaders who could have handled it saw this coming and decided to just leave.

The Senate is still a bit more in control, but it won't take too much to flip that room crazy as well.

As a Republican I’m actually now enjoying this debacle. Part of moving past the Trump poop streak is to also highlight and remove morons like these 20. Keep the votes going and make sure they get all of the negative crap that’s coming to them

Reactions: NoleATL
If I'm McCarthy. It would be tempting to let Jeffries have the Speakership. Then blame everything on the holdouts. Yes Dems can control agenda. But its still difficult to pass anything.

If I'm McCarthy. It would be tempting to let Jeffries have the Speakership. Then blame everything on the holdouts. Yes Dems can control agenda. But its still difficult to pass anything.
I mean in all honesty, if Jeffries somehow got it…he should resign. I have serious questions as to why Kevin even wants this position….it’s going to be one of the worst jobs in the history of politics.

Reactions: tumorboy
I mean in all honesty, if Jeffries somehow got it…he should resign. I have serious questions as to why Kevin even wants this position….it’s going to be one of the worst jobs in the history of politics.
Bingo juice isn't worth the squeeze. Especially handcuffed by all the promises you'd have to make. I don't see how with the House split so closely any Speaker can last more than a few months.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
As a Republican I’m actually now enjoying this debacle. Part of moving past the Trump poop streak is to also highlight and remove morons like these 20. Keep the votes going and make sure they get all of the negative crap that’s coming to them

Anything that in the long run breaks the far rights grip on the party I’m onboard with.

What’s sad is we could all see this train coming YEARS ago when McCarthy first failed to become speaker after Boehner. House Republicans for years have ceded to the radical right and it’s coming home to roost now.

No matter how this ends, whoever becomes Speaker will be perhaps the weakest Speaker of the House in American history.

Maybe the holdouts just force McCarthy to withdraw. Which appears to be all they want. Then everyone can vote Scalise on one turn.

Reactions: Lindemann
Now they want to be able to call a vote to remove a speaker to 1? This is amazing….it would be pure chaos.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Not at all.
Desantis would be an improvement over Trump low bar. In so many ways. Yes he focuses too much on grievance politics. But he at least looks like a some what normal politician. That will at least attempt to get things done for his citizens

Reactions: srams21 and ihhawk
DeSantis is Trump 2.0
He's better and worse in different ways. It depends on what u want. Or what your POV is. He certainly will accept election results that don't go in his favor. Granted he'll try other tricks or hijinks but violence doesn't fit him. Too much of a traditional politician.

Pelosi and Schiff and a bunch of republicans missed the first vote? Back room deal being brokered?

Maybe the holdouts just force McCarthy to withdraw. Which appears to be all they want. Then everyone can vote Scalise on one turn.
The commentators yesterday were saying McCarthy had negotiated away a bunch of rules/procedural changes that would hamstring the next speaker even if he stepped back. I don't see how any deals or promises McCarthy negotiated would be binding on anyone other than McCarthy. Seems like the holdouts might win by getting McCarthy to step aside, but lose all the concessions they've negotiated. Strange deal.

Reactions: NoleATL
McCarthy's biggest problem would be actually winning the speakership.
No way you can control your party with all the rules and procedural giveaways he's already conceded.

Could McCarthy be Speaker and get Dem votes if they split the committee chairmanships? Not sure what the Dems would need in order to go along with that. Starts to look a lot like Parliament.
Agreed. By consensus, I mean a viable moderate.

How many present or non votes will it take before Jeffers gets it. Or is that not possible?
It all depends on how many people show up that day. They need a majority of all votes that day, So voting present shows you're there but didn't take part. So it lowers the total number of votes required to reach majority. IF all 435 members are present and they vote then you need 218 votes. The last vote went as follows:

212- Jeffries
201 - McCarthy
20 - Donalds
1 - Present
So 434 were there. (Not certain who was missing) and one voted Present. So that lowered the total votes by two. If both were there and voting then it would have required 218 votes to win. With those two "missing" it only required 217 putting Jeffries off by 5. But it would take more than 5 voting present to get the majority number down low enough to qualify Jeffries. I think it would have to get down to 423 "quorum" to make it so that 212 won. So if 434 show up again, we need 11 total to vote present or simply not show up to do it. And it would have to be 11 Republicans.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
There is ZERO incentive for the Dems to agree to that. The only possible deal would be a GOP Speaker not named McCarthy with all committees co-chaired and split 50-50. Jeffries surely doesn't want to be in charge of that shit show without some other incentive.

The commentators yesterday were saying McCarthy had negotiated away a bunch of rules/procedural changes that would hamstring the next speaker even if he stepped back. I don't see how any deals or promises McCarthy negotiated would be binding on anyone other than McCarthy. Seems like the holdouts might win by getting McCarthy to step aside, but lose all the concessions they've negotiated. Strange deal.
True but there could be a back channel deal with Scalise. Although I doubt any of them are smart enough to think that far ahead.

There is ZERO incentive for the Dems to agree to that. The only possible deal would be a GOP Speaker not named McCarthy with all committees co-chaired and split 50-50. Jeffries surely doesn't want to be in charge of that shit show without some other incentive.
Agreed, I think eventually the way forward is for him to withdraw. Now how many times he gets rejected before he figures it out?

I don’t get how they think adjourning will help….obviously didn’t help last night.

The party that loses most general elections but say they represent “the American people” are being held hostage by 20 of their congressmen that say they are representing “the American people.”
We live in a nation where only a handful of people control what life will be for 300 + million citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT