ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry: Game Changer

I keep thinking that somehow Perry is going to be used to impact the Hawks and not the HWC. If he is only used as the HWC coach, then you guys are correct, not a lot of leg passing going to be going on. We will see if the Hawks start rolling around more and if his influence becomes apparent in their style.

The new folkstyle rules are designed to punish rolling around on your back and grabbing a leg to avoid a TD. Not something you want to start depending on.

Reactions: DirkTang1
1stplacehawk - Why do you automatically assume it is dirty laundry? If that is the case, I don't want to hear it either, and I don't want to trash anyone on this forum as you implied.

Heard last week that there is some sort of rift between Metcalf and Tom and Terry. Brent, with his new family didn't think that he should have been taken off the HWC payroll so soon after he quit competing and probably thought that there was going to be a place for him in Iowa City. Some of you aren't going to like this but I am going to say it anyway. Tom made $345,000 in 2015 and that is without camp money and his Asics endorsement. Terry makes $163,000 base salary plus camp money, HWC money and his Nike endorsement. There is plenty of money there to help Brent feed his family and it sounds like our staff turned their backs on him. In my opinion, Brent is the new face of Iowa wrestling. He shouldn't have been treated like this. Our staff should have done whatever it takes to keep Brent in Iowa City. Rant over.

Obviously there are always two sides, but I sense there was/is some entitlement on the part of Metcalf and that's one thing that TnT have no time for. If he wanted to continue competing, then yes, absolutely, he's on the payroll. But to retire or semi-retire and never really be clear about intentions and expect to continue to receive funding from the HWC??? For what exactly??? Because you were a good college wrestler? They supported him for years and frankly, he didn't really hold up his end of the deal. Shied away in the biggest spots and couldn't figure out how to make the Olympic team with the team trials in his home gym.

You get what you earn seems to ring really true here. While he competed, he earned that money. Once he was done, he hadn't accomplished anything worthy of being a charity case. And as far as the coaching aspect, Mark Perry has a graduate degree and Brent Metcalf is just starting his freshman year. Given the choice of the two at this juncture, I'd take Perry every time. One of the best things about him is he's so well rounded and I think he'll be a great compliment to TnT's style/approach.

I would also add that TnT's compensation has literally NOTHING to do Brent Metcalf's worth as a coach or a sponsored athlete.

Awesome hire!

Tom already teaches what Metcalf knows and does. Nobody in the room currently teaches what Perry can bring. Same can be said if it was Ramos. What would he offer that was different? If Iowa is to catch PSU then Iowa style is going to have to be more than score more high crotches than the other guy. There was a desperate void in riding, tilting pinning and getting better in uncomfortable situations in 80% of our starting lineups for the past 5 or so seasons. The rules are geared towards 4 for back points, not perpetual 2 then give back 1.

This staff just got way more diverse. Mark and future Imart will help the Bull , Kem, Kaleb. A future Chris Perry rolling around with Warner. Warner has the tools, lets teach him some savvy and elite match game management. Sign me up for all of this!

Awesome hire!

Tom already teaches what Metcalf knows and does. Nobody in the room currently teaches what Perry can bring. Same can be said if it was Ramos. What would he offer that was different? If Iowa is to catch PSU then Iowa style is going to have to be more than score more high crotches than the other guy. There was a desperate void in riding, tilting pinning and getting better in uncomfortable situations in 80% of our starting lineups for the past 5 or so seasons. The rules are geared towards 4 for back points, not perpetual 2 then give back 1.

This staff just got way more diverse. Mark and future Imart will help the Bull , Kem, Kaleb. A future Chris Perry rolling around with Warner. Warner has the tools, lets teach him some savvy and time management. Sign me up for all of this!
wouldn't a better move be to let terry run the HWC and let Mark roll with the college guys and then make him the head coach after Tom retires?

wouldn't a better move be to let terry run the HWC and let Mark roll with the college guys and then make him the head coach after Tom retires?
That could be the plan time will tell. This may be a way to get him in the door. Definitely a step in the right direction.
Seems wrestling is now turning into football....an arms race

Reactions: DirkTang1
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm also not sure that is what Mark wants right now. He made comments in his interview about being a wrestling fanatic, which may mean that he is tired of the dog an pony show that is recruiting 17 year old kids. This position will allow him to coach wrestling, while cutting down on the other stuff.

He will roll with the college guys and Terry will coach the HWC guys as well. Perry and Terry in your corner? Dayum, that's some coaching right there.

Reactions: Dagboi
it would not be fair to expect terry to move hwc job for less $$,that was the job that was open.perry will do a fine job and also make contributions to the hawkeyes.

Only if you could also make the finances work as well. Might then be a "possibiity".

Obviously there are always two sides, but I sense there was/is some entitlement on the part of Metcalf and that's one thing that TnT have no time for. If he wanted to continue competing, then yes, absolutely, he's on the payroll. But to retire or semi-retire and never really be clear about intentions and expect to continue to receive funding from the HWC??? For what exactly??? Because you were a good college wrestler? They supported him for years and frankly, he didn't really hold up his end of the deal. Shied away in the biggest spots and couldn't figure out how to make the Olympic team with the team trials in his home gym.

You get what you earn seems to ring really true here. While he competed, he earned that money. Once he was done, he hadn't accomplished anything worthy of being a charity case. And as far as the coaching aspect, Mark Perry has a graduate degree and Brent Metcalf is just starting his freshman year. Given the choice of the two at this juncture, I'd take Perry every time. One of the best things about him is he's so well rounded and I think he'll be a great compliment to TnT's style/approach.

I would also add that TnT's compensation has literally NOTHING to do Brent Metcalf's worth as a coach or a sponsored athlete.

It's truly heartwarming to watch people turn on Metcalf like this. :rolleyes:

I will be anxious to see the effect Perry has on the HWC and the collegiate team. He should have everything he needs at his finger tips. No excuses from here on out. We will know exactly how effective of a coach he really is in a few short years. Personally, I think he has shown some flashes of coaching at an extremely high level but the jury is still out for me. Let's hope he knocks it out of the park!

I'm not sure Mark Perry to eventually take over for Tom is that realistic. IMO Mark will have a chance to take over for John Smith well before that.

Id vote for Spencer Lee to take over as Athletic Director for Gary Barta immediately following his graduation. Spencer wants to be an AD someday and as we can tell the kid handles himself and media already better than Barta!

Being half serious it wouldn't surprise me if Spencer is who takes over after Tom retires. Coach and then eventually AD.

It's truly heartwarming to see people throw the Brands under the bus without any knowledge of the situation. It works both ways. I don't know what happened, and honestly don't really care. Happy to move forward with what we have

Who has thrown the Brands under the bus? Certainly not me. The only commentary on the matter I've ever made was that their seemed to be a rift between the program and Brent. Most of you called me all sorts of fun names. Now some are deciding to cast aspersions on Brent's accomplishments and career and even his character. Sad.

Who has thrown the Brands under the bus? Certainly not me. The only commentary on the matter I've ever made was that their seemed to be a rift between the program and Brent. Most of you called me all sorts of fun names. Now some are deciding to cast aspersions on Brent's accomplishments and career and even his character. Sad.
Fair enough. There seems to be a Brands camp and a Metcalf camp that think the other is at fault. You may not fall into that, but several do, while having no idea what actually happened. I'm happy with our current staff, and am not going to lose sleep when people leave because that is what has always happened and will continue to happen. Feelings get hurt all the time in a world with limited space. I wish Brent the best and would not be opposed to him returning down the line, but this is going to get real old every time a former great hawkeye isn't just handed a coaching position. McDonough, Clark, Gilman, Dennis...prepare for the tissues folks. As edquinn would say "it's reality".

Fair enough. Feelings get hurt all the time in a world with limited space. I wish Brent the best and would not be opposed to him returning down the line, but this is going to get real old every time a former great hawkeye isn't just handed a coaching position. McDonough, Clark, Gilman, Dennis...prepare for the tissues folks. As edquinn would say "it's reality".

I think there's a difference in level between guys here. Metcalf is just a better collegiate wrestler and international wrestler than all of these guys. He's the on-the-mat face that brought us back to the top of college wrestling. The other guys are a tier (McDonough) or two (Clark, Ramos) or more (Dennis, Gilman) below him in my mind. I will not be complaining if and when a former great Hawkeye leaves the program. I'm very specifically complaining about THIS one. Reasonable minds can disagree, though.

I think there's a difference in level between guys here. Metcalf is just a better collegiate wrestler and international wrestler than all of these guys. He's the on-the-mat face that brought us back to the top of college wrestling. The other guys are a tier (McDonough) or two (Clark, Ramos) or more (Dennis, Gilman) below him in my mind. I will not be complaining if and when a former great Hawkeye leaves the program. I'm very specifically complaining about THIS one. Reasonable minds can disagree, though.
Is Metcalf a better international wrestler? He was the best in the US for a long time at what was a pretty weak weight. Metcalf never won an international medal, and I don't think any of the guys he beat were good enough to get the job done either. Ramos has had a very similar career internationally to Brent, IMO. Good enough to win a weaker weight nationally, but not good enough to consistently compete internationally. Brent had a couple good moments (4-0 world cup, 2nd Yarygin), but was never consistently beating top guys at his weight. David Taylor has better career wins than Brent and he has never made a world or Olympic team. McDonough has been injured since college, and Clark/Gilman still haven't had a chance to show their international chops. Metcalf clearly deserves respect and coaching opportunities, but he doesn't have a slam dunk future head coach of Iowa resume, IMO.

Reactions: lionlover
I think that McD was every bit as good as Brent at the NCAA level, and Dan Dennis was pretty darn successful internationally. Only one of Dan Dennis and Brent Metcalf ever made the Olympics.

This isn't to disparage Metcalf at all, but I don't think Metcalf is on a much higher level than the other guys you named.

I think Metcalf is thought of as a Brands clone, which won't do much good from a recruiting/coaching standpoint. Perry, who is one of the best post Gable Hawks, will bring a different style (both on and off the mat) to the program.

Its too bad Brent is in Ames, but if given my choice, I'm thrilled with Perry.

Who threw Brands under the bus? Uh, the guy that first posted the whole story, maybe? He even called Brands greedy.

It is rather curious that you jump so hard to Metcalf's defense because like 1 guy posted anything that resembled disparaging comments about Metcalf but you were totally OK with the guy who threw Brands under the bus and then backed over him. Curious, indeed.

BTW, it is possible to like and respect Metcalf but also not think Brands did anything wrong. Those two are not mutually exclusive. It is also possible to like Metcalf but like Perry better as a coach and fit with the Iowa program. Also not mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure Mark Perry to eventually take over for Tom is that realistic. IMO Mark will have a chance to take over for John Smith well before that.

Id vote for Spencer Lee to take over as Athletic Director for Gary Barta immediately following his graduation. Spencer wants to be an AD someday and as we can tell the kid handles himself and media already better than Barta!

Being half serious it wouldn't surprise me if Spencer is who takes over after Tom retires. Coach and then eventually AD.

Let's let Spencer get that high school degree and win a few NCAA titles first.

I think that McD was every bit as good as Brent at the NCAA level, and Dan Dennis was pretty darn successful internationally. Only one of Dan Dennis and Brent Metcalf ever made the Olympics.

This isn't to disparage Metcalf at all, but I don't think Metcalf is on a much higher level than the other guys you named.

I think Metcalf is thought of as a Brands clone, which won't do much good from a recruiting/coaching standpoint. Perry, who is one of the best post Gable Hawks, will bring a different style (both on and off the mat) to the program.

Its too bad Brent is in Ames, but if given my choice, I'm thrilled with Perry.

Dan Dennis made one world level team. Metcalf made, what 5? Metcalf beat several world medalists, and placed highly in prestigious international tournaments like the Yarygin. Dennis isn't nearly the successful Freestyler that Metcalf is, and it's disingenuous, IMO, to say otherwise.

And I just flat disagree on McDonough, though I do think he's great in his own right.

Metcalf (over three seasons) lost three matches in college, had 47 pins, had 85 bonus point wins in his 108 total wins, was a Hodge Trophy winner, won the most loaded bracket in NCAA history, and has wins over multiple NCAA champions.

McDonough (over 4 seasons) had 9 career losses (or 4 if you prefer to completely disregard the final injured season, but that changes his other stats, too), had 40 (or 35) pins, had 83 (or 74) bonus point wins in his 122 (or 100) total wins, never won the Hodge, and did not beat near the number of NCAA champions. To be honest, I'm drawing a blank on any future NCAA champions outside of Nico and Delgado.

McD is and was excellent, but, IMO, he's pretty clearly a level below Metcalf. That's hardly an insulting place to be IMO.

As to Lovin' Spooner, I'm glad you find it interesting that I don't respond to EVERY post, but I also didn't think it would be necessary to point out it was ridiculous to call a coach greedy for not giving up their salary to get an assistant.

i have already bought the frame for the hand written note that 2 time olympic champion spencer lee is going to send me thanking me for my years of support.

Dan Dennis realizing he has to beat Tony Ramos to make an Olympic team: "Lets do this, Bring it on!"
Dan Dennis realizing he has to beat Spencer Lee to make an Olympic team: "F*** that, I'm Retiring!"

Who threw Brands under the bus? Uh, the guy that first posted the whole story, maybe? He even called Brands greedy.

It is rather curious that you jump so hard to Metcalf's defense because like 1 guy posted anything that resembled disparaging comments about Metcalf but you were totally OK with the guy who threw Brands under the bus and then backed over him. Curious, indeed.

BTW, it is possible to like and respect Metcalf but also not think Brands did anything wrong. Those two are not mutually exclusive. It is also possible to like Metcalf but like Perry better as a coach and fit with the Iowa program. Also not mutually exclusive.

Yep, this guy gets it.

Reactions: Gobblin

It's truly heartwarming to watch people turn on Metcalf like this. :rolleyes:

No one is "turning" on Metcalf. Just trying to bring some levity to the crowd that thinks he was wronged for some reason.

Care to explain your reasoning? Or are you just trying to get a rise out of Hawk fans?
I love Mark Perry. His win over Lil Johnny is one of my all time wrestling memories. But he is in no way on level of Metcalf. Not because Perry wasn't great, but because Metcalf is one of those guys who we see once in a decade. He was an amazing wrestler and the proto-typical Hawkeye.

I just hope he reads this message board because what is being said will cement him in Ames for a long long time.

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT