ADVERTISEMENT

Does THE WAVE need fixing?

DBQ Hawk

HR All-American
Oct 16, 2005
Before everyone jumps down my throat: I love THE WAVE. I've been at every non-COVID season WAVE, and it remains a moving experience. But as noted in a different thread, some of us think it isn't quite what it used to be

The most obvious needed change is to bring back the Pat Green song WAVE ON WAVE. It was perfect in tone and content--heck, the game where he came and played it as a standalone song (not during a WAVE) brought people to tears, just thinking about it. The fact is, musical continuity is critical to emotional rituals like this. Imagine if we ditched "Back in Black," and instead let a fan pick a different entrance song each home game, or if we had 50 fight songs we rotated thru each season

The song WAVE ON WAVE quickly became an essential part of the experience, a sense-memory that choked you up even before you started waving. Yes, it's a nice gesture to let the Kid Captain pick the song, but it's simply not the same. There's no emotional cue when you hear the first few notes, as in WAVE ON WAVE. People strain to figure out what the song is, distracting them from the moment. Please don't say I hate Kid Captains, because their intro before each home game always chokes me up, and remains a great tradition all its own. But it's time to bring back WAVE ON WAVE for the actual WAVE

The other change is to DITCH THE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE AND AFTER

I cannot tell you how much I hate them. DUDE, WE KNOW. WE STARTED THIS, SO YOU CAN STAY OUT OF IT. I feel like they think we'd forget to do it, if they didn't say something! And then thanking us for doing it? Like they're my mom or something? This wonderful ritual, suggested by a single fan, was taken up on all the messages boards and turned into a personal and emotional experience between fans and sick kids, but then the U of I took it, and changed the song, and is starting to act like it's THEIR ritual. They didn't even provide an explanation for the song change. They only announded it was gone: poof! And ever since then, THEY'VE been in charge

And that's wrong

Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way. Or am I?

Yeah, I think it’s cool the kid captain selects the song.

other option would be to ask the kids in the hospital to nominate 4 songs each week, fans vote and play the winner.

Unfortunately they feel the need to corporatize everything. Agree that the announcement sucks, it is.....I don't know the word to use, pandering or something.

Agree that this was a fan-led thing, and it should remain a little more natural. Agree that half the crowd is already waving, and the other half is quickly following, by the time they play a lame announcement that takes the shine off things.

Unfortunately they feel the need to corporatize everything. Agree that the announcement sucks, it is.....I don't know the word to use, pandering or something.

Agree that this was a fan-led thing, and it should remain a little more natural. Agree that half the crowd is already waving, and the other half is quickly following, by the time they play a lame announcement that takes the shine off things.
pandering is Duke Slater Field on the heels of racial bias allegations.... They became "sell outs" with the wave.

Before everyone jumps down my throat: I love THE WAVE. I've been at every non-COVID season WAVE, and it remains a moving experience. But as noted in a different thread, some of us think it isn't quite what it used to be

The most obvious needed change is to bring back the Pat Green song WAVE ON WAVE. It was perfect in tone and content--heck, the game where he came and played it as a standalone song (not during a WAVE) brought people to tears, just thinking about it. The fact is, musical continuity is critical to emotional rituals like this. Imagine if we ditched "Back in Black," and instead let a fan pick a different entrance song each home game, or if we had 50 fight songs we rotated thru each season

The song WAVE ON WAVE quickly became an essential part of the experience, a sense-memory that choked you up even before you started waving. Yes, it's a nice gesture to let the Kid Captain pick the song, but it's simply not the same. There's no emotional cue when you hear the first few notes, as in WAVE ON WAVE. People strain to figure out what the song is, distracting them from the moment. Please don't say I hate Kid Captains, because their intro before each home game always chokes me up, and remains a great tradition all its own. But it's time to bring back WAVE ON WAVE for the actual WAVE

The other change is to DITCH THE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE AND AFTER

I cannot tell you how much I hate them. DUDE, WE KNOW. WE STARTED THIS, SO YOU CAN STAY OUT OF IT. I feel like they think we'd forget to do it, if they didn't say something! And then thanking us for doing it? Like they're my mom or something? This wonderful ritual, suggested by a single fan, was taken up on all the messages boards and turned into a personal and emotional experience between fans and sick kids, but then the U of I took it, and changed the song, and is starting to act like it's THEIR ritual. They didn't even provide an explanation for the song change. They only announded it was gone: poof! And ever since then, THEY'VE been in charge

And that's wrong

Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way. Or am I?
I couldn’t agree more with everything said…

pandering is Duke Slater Field on the heels of racial bias allegations.... They became "sell outs" with the wave.

Considering they really should just named the stadium “kinnick-slater stadium” when they renamed it to begin with I don’t have a problem with Duke slater field.

Reactions: Mister Plow
Glad something started a separate thread.

100% agree on dropping the damn announcement before and after.... it irritates the hell out of me that we announce "the greatest tradition in college football, please stand and wave". EVERYONE knows what they are doing, usually waving before the stupid announcement.

Drop the corporate feel to it and just let it naturally occur. I also agree with just picking a song for EVERY wave... the wave on song is fine. Sorry kid captain, I don't think it's necessary to pick a different song every week.

Bingo.

Slater deserves the recognition, he was a special Hawk. Doing it in response to the political climate of the day is weak.

RE: The Wave. Yes...ask the crowd to join...and then shut the hell up. Then say a brief Thank you afterwards.
Well, reacting in the moment is often, sadly, how things happen for stuff like this.

Reactions: CAhawki
It never needed a song. Like most things that happen great organically, everyone “of leadership” tries to put their name on it to pad their resume and ruin it.
I can't recall the circumstances under which the Pat Green song was added, but I do think a song adds needed structure to it. If there IS going to be a song, WAVE ON WAVE has proven to be most suited, and best responded to, compared to any of the Kid Captain songs (if I may be frank)

Regardless, ditching the clumsy, pat-myself-on-the-back announcement seems universal. Anyone know how this can be made to happen?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
you're going to tell Max he cannot pick this weeks song?

Playing Devil's Advocate: Max has an immeasurably more important moment awaiting him when he is introduced to the crowd at midfield, and 70,000 rise in unison to cheer him. But sure, let Max and the rest of the Kid Captains pick their songs for 2023. But in 2024, I'd lobby to bring back WAVE ON WAVE

Announcements in general. Time and again the announcer will take the crowd out of the game, hocking whatever product it is. That goes for the Vande....? girl as well, nice to look at on screen, but no one cares who she is interviewing. The situational awareness of the PR team is non-existent and annoying.

I thought the pat green song took away from the whole thing. I love this traditions and I hate how the announcers seem to bracket and official start/finish to the waving. Hell, iced kept waving until my arm got tired a minute or two into the 2nd quarter. We usually make some motion with the lights on our phones and the. Often see a kid mimicking the motion back to us.

So many kids up there are looking for a connection with those of us outside their window. Think of it that way. It’s about them, Not the Hawkeyes or is fans, or a song tradition.

I can't recall the circumstances under which the Pat Green song was added, but I do think a song adds needed structure to it. If there IS going to be a song, WAVE ON WAVE has proven to be most suited, and best responded to, compared to any of the Kid Captain songs (if I may be frank)

Regardless, ditching the clumsy, pat-myself-on-the-back announcement seems universal. Anyone know how this can be made to happen?
Does it bother anyone else that the "Wave on Wave" song is about ocean waves, not waving at someone?

Maybe it's just me.

Playing Devil's Advocate: Max has an immeasurably more important moment awaiting him when he is introduced to the crowd at midfield, and 70,000 rise in unison to cheer him. But sure, let Max and the rest of the Kid Captains pick their songs for 2023. But in 2024, I'd lobby to bring back WAVE ON WAVE
Maybe instead, we let Max and the kid captains call the offensive plays? It might improve the offense.

Last edited:
We need a poll. I agree whole-heartedly with dropping the completely unnecessary and annoying announcement, but I like the song to be chosen by the kid captain. Wave On Wave was ok but not an integral part of the tradition. Rather, it is about the kids.

Considering they really should just named the stadium “kinnick-slater stadium” when they renamed it to begin with I don’t have a problem with Duke slater field.
Bingo!
“Kinnick Stadium” was appropriate in the 1970’s...
“Duke Slater Field” time came a little later. Both great Hawkeyes with great stories and legacies! Celebrate them both.

Side bar...

Anyone from Burlington on the board? We played there for the first time last week and I came away thinking that P.A guy got paid by the word. He never stops with announcements. Without a doubt the most annoying set up I've encountered.

That said, very cool HS stadium.

Announce the Kid Captain and let everyone know what song he/she picked when recognizing them earlier in the day. Then at the end of the 1st, just start the song, no announcement, and no announcement to "end" the waving. Let folks--AND THE KIDS--wave as long as they want.

I wish they did the Wave right after the National Anthem while everyone is already standing. Both teams are thinking about the game and momentum after the first quarter and want to talk game plan and not get out of rhythm and focus.

• Wow
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I like the idea of just everyone turning to the hospital and start waving when the quarter ends. No announcements, the kids song is fine but if you need an announcement or instructions on what to do, chances are you are clueless.

The nighttime experience is much better than the day games though and i do like when everyone lights up their phones.

There is more meaning when its kept simple. It started from a simple gesture and should remain that way!

Yeah **** them kids even more than they already have been. It's my feelings and I want them now. Or something. What a dumb opinion.

Reactions: gojojo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT