ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Reiland

Passed away. Seeing it come In from my west high wrestling friends. Used to be my coach back in the day. No clue what happened. RIP.
I think there was mention from Gadson (?) on the Iowa/ISU dual where Gadson wished him well and said he was going thru some health issues but didn't specify.

At any rate, sorry to hear this. He had a magical run that one year to a National Title as a Hawkeye.

R.I.P. Mark Reiland.

Wow! Gone to soon.

He was a staple at ICW. Such a great guy and great mentor for many young wrestlers, students, and fans. I didn’t wrestle in high school at West, but I had the pleasure of having many great conversations about wrestling and life with him through my high school days. He cared and treated us all that way.

His pin in the NCAA’s is still my all time favorite.

RIP Mark.

Prayers are with the family! I landed in the ER a few months ago with breathing issues related to the flu! I had all the symptoms of Covid but the test and chest ex ray came back negative! I’m in excellent physical health and play competitive tennis!
Never had that happen in my life!
For me, taking NyQuil daytime and nighttime helped!
I think taking the flu vaccine hurt me when I worked in the ER last year.

Well said Sir.
Wtf is happening? I don't understand all this covid shit....half my family has had it with mild symptoms....I also know a half dozen healthy people that has died from it... wtf is happening? Was Mark R not healthy? This sucks!

rip to mark and thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. a great hawk and coach. created one of the most iconic moments in hawkeye wrestling history.

Reactions: pk222 and TarpHawk
RIP Mark ... he was a Great Hawkeye and if he was good enough to earn a spot on the Champions List on the wall in Carver then he was good enough for so many young people to learn from and to idolize. I pray for his family and I am sure it was a total shock to them and the wrestling community that he was such a great part of. he will be missed and I am constantly reminded....That tomorrow is never guaranteed... Prayers and God's Blessing for him and his family

Honest question, what happened to the ICW pipeline in the 2010s? Mark Reiland, Keith Massey, and Bob Kenny were probably the best coaches of the 2000s; some of the best the state has ever seen. 2010 ICW had less studs top to bottoms even though they would still have some studs year after year. What was the change? No doubt Mark was still a great coach.

Growing up in Fort Dodge one of my neighbors (wrestler Brad Bruhl) was cousins with Mark. Mark would come over from Eagle Grove and we played many games of pickup basketball. I remember being afraid to guard him as he was strong as a moose and way too shredded as a teen (ha). I smile at the memories. He was an intense, hard-working kid who went on to accomplish great things as an adult and impacted so many in a positive way. First time I saw him in an Iowa singlet I was blown away at how his physique continued to evolve…. Loved watching Mark wrestle at Iowa, and was fun to follow IC West. Wrestling, and society, lost one of the good ones.

Growing up in Fort Dodge one of my neighbors (wrestler Brad Bruhl) was cousins with Mark. Mark would come over from Eagle Grove and we played many games of pickup basketball. I remember being afraid to guard him as he was strong as a moose and way too shredded as a teen (ha). I smile at the memories. He was an intense, hard-working kid who went on to accomplish great things as an adult and impacted so many in a positive way. First time I saw him in an Iowa singlet I was blown away at how his physique continued to evolve…. Loved watching Mark wrestle at Iowa, and was fun to follow IC West. Wrestling, and society, lost one of the good ones.
His 167 lbs looked a lot bigger than Warner's 197 lbs, he was an animal...

Never knew him personally. From the outside never cared much for his personality. Then one day he came to do a house appraisal for us. Had a very engaging 30 minute chat with him. Changed my opinion that day. RIP Mark.

Wtf is happening? I don't understand all this covid shit....half my family has had it with mild symptoms....I also know a half dozen healthy people that has died from it... wtf is happening? Was Mark R not healthy? This sucks!
Are you serious? 800k dead Americans. They were not all 90 years old, this virus kills people. Get vaccinated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT