ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell Mad Again

In fairness, he’s done well at Iowa St. It’s historically a bottom 5 program in all of P5. It’s an impossible situation being a distant 2nd program in a low population state. I don’t understand why people think that he had all of these options. His name was often mentioned, but I don’t recall him actually turning down any jobs, maybe Detroit Lions?

In fairness, he’s done well at Iowa St. It’s historically a bottom 5 program in all of P5. It’s an impossible situation being a distant 2nd program in a low population state. I don’t understand why people think that he had all of these options. His name was often mentioned, but I don’t recall him actually turning down any jobs, maybe Detroit Lions?
It's a pretty easy gig because expectations are so low.

But he's still underperformed and now the wheels are coming off.

Oh and another “not to worry” from Ames… they’re sooooooooooooo young!!!

Again.

Just like last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And on and on and on and on.

Seriously, I don’t think there’s ever been a younger football team year in and year out for this many years in a row than Iowa State. Well, according to its homer fanbase and media that is. What are we going on, 25 years?

Just trot out the tried and true “we’re a young football team” excuse every year, and the fanbase will buy it hook, line and sinker.

Reactions: nu2u
But, but clown fans are sure Matty Campbell is God’s gift to college football and does everything right. Meanwhile if this was Fran there would be a 1,000 post thread about how insane Fran is on cryclown fanatic.

Must ignore clown fans? Do tell us how it really is. That is always good for some laughs.

It looks like a 5 and 7 record for 2023. Impossible to predict how things will go after TX and OU are gone in 2024. Campbell is probably at ISU next year. He may be able to stick around the 6 win mark in the Big 12. Career wise he can't afford 3 and 9 or 2 and 10 years.

Oh and another “not to worry” from Ames… they’re sooooooooooooo young!!!

Again.

Just like last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And on and on and on and on.

Seriously, I don’t think there’s ever been a younger football team year in and year out for this many years in a row than Iowa State. Well, according to its homer fanbase and media that is. What are we going on, 25 years?

Just trot out the tried and true “we’re a young football team” excuse every year, and the fanbase will buy it hook, line and sinker.
They could get even younger depending on the portal movement.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

He may not have turned down jobs but he did turn down a lot of interviews. One he did interview for and many thought he could get and front runner till late was the USC job before they pulled of the long shot and got Lincoln Riley.

It looks like a 5 and 7 record for 2023. Impossible to predict how things will go after TX and OU are gone in 2024. Campbell is probably at ISU next year. He may be able to stick around the 6 win mark in the Big 12. Career wise he can't afford 3 and 9 or 2 and 10 years.

They may not even win 2 more games to get to 5-7. Looking at schedule the easier games left are on the road vs Baylor and Cincy and those are no gimmies with their team this year. Last 2 games have shown even though they have a good DC their defense is down this year compared to the last couple.

They could get even younger depending on the portal movement.
Yep, and then the giant excuse machine known as Iowa State fans and media will once again trot out the same old same old, “We’re the youngest team in college football playing the toughest schedule in the history of college football!! Just wait til next season!!” And fans will buy it up.

Yep, and then the giant excuse machine known as Iowa State fans and media will once again trot out the same old same old, “We’re the youngest team in college football playing the toughest schedule in the history of college football!! Just wait til next season!!” And fans will buy it up.
You forgot the refs. The refs always screw them over.

I haven't talked to one ISU fan who is blaming this seasons struggles on anything other than a noticeable lack of talent. Losing a few starters to the gambling hurt, but it's not an excuse. I also haven't heard one ISU fan wanting Campbell to move or or be fired. Both are ridiculous. Honestly, who is ISU going to get that is better?

The offense has looked better the last two weeks, but the defense looked AWFUL last night. A big part of that was OU - just A LOT better team with A LOT better players. I don't see guys quitting, so I will continue to support them and watch.

I don't buy the "we're young" argument. That's on the coaches to recruit and develop players. 5 starters are gone, good riddance. Get 5 new guys in there and play. I like Becht. Would rather lose with him than win with Dekkers. Even before the gambling stuff came out, he came across as a punk. Good riddance. I like Sama. Had a good game last night. Other "young" guys played well last night, but OU was just too tough. Better ISU teams have gone into Norman and got blown out.

So, I hope Campbell stays long enough to turn it around. He's earned that. TCU next week at home. Winnable game. I hope they can find a way to win. Just like the Hawks, ISU will have to win ugly this year. I will take an ugly win!

Last edited:
P.S. No excuse for Campbells behavior the last two weeks. In both cases, he needs to just walk away. He's a competitor, so I get his frustration. At the same time, as the leader of this program, Campbell needs to walk the walk. He says really good things which I agree with: "being the best version of ourselves", etc. The head football coach needs to model that behavior when in public. Behind closed doors? Let it rip! In this day + age of cell phones + social media, he simply can't do that. No excuse for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT