ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell seat getting warm?

HawkOptimist

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
The consensus by Clone fans after the game was, “WTF was Matt Campbell thinking letting almost 35 seconds go by between each offensive play in the 4th quarter?!” Most couldn’t believe how poor his clock management was toward the end. Neither could most Iowa fans. Personally I was shocked by it.

Have to think another losing season will get his seat a little warmer up in Ames. Bet he’s wishing he struck while the iron was hot and left two years ago.

Yea... that whole situation was head scratching. Running the play clock down and then handing it off for 3 yard gains. They were LUCKY to convert a 4th down TD to make it interesting.

I count 6 more losses for ISU. Minimum.

Campbell missed his shot to cash in on his ealy success at ISU. Now he'll flounder for a few more years before getting fired or quitting.

The consensus by Clone fans after the game was, “WTF was Matt Campbell thinking letting almost 35 seconds go by between each offensive play in the 4th quarter?!” Most couldn’t believe how poor his clock management was toward the end. Neither could most Iowa fans. Personally I was shocked by it.

Have to think another losing season will get his seat a little warmer up in Ames. Bet he’s wishing he struck while the iron was hot and left two years ago.
Iowa fans know a thing or two about clock mismanagement. It hasn’t gotten our coach fired nor has it gotten any better in the last 23 years.

Not yet, but he'll need to win some games in conference and from what I saw today, they should win a few games in conference. They should probably end up with a +.500 record.

Im an ISU (and Iowa) fan. Campbell probably has a secret lifetime contract in Ames and it’s well deserved IMO. His teams are so much better than anything ISU has ever seen. I don’t think many ISU fans thought they would have a team with a pulse this year, but they seem to have one.

Campball missed his chance to leave.

Now...after a couple more losing seasons, support will fall off and ISU will be coach hunting in two years.

He's really kinda douchey and Clone fans are slowly starting to realize he's nothing special.

Also keep hearing about how young Iowa State is… again. Seriously, I’ve never heard a team or its fans play the “we’re young” card as much as Iowa State does. That, or the tried and true “toughest schedule in America” excuse. It’s always something up there in Ames.

If Campbell goes 4-8 again this year he will be back to .500 for his wing %. Hot seat no. He can use the gambling probe with loss of players and young team as an excuse if they don’t make a bowl (already played the youth card in postgame presser). But natives will start to get restless going into next year and put little more pressure on him for next season.

Yea... that whole situation was head scratching. Running the play clock down and then handing it off for 3 yard gains. They were LUCKY to convert a 4th down TD to make it interesting.

Campbell missed his shot to cash in on his ealy success at ISU. Now he'll flounder for a few more years before getting fired or quitting.
I have never seen so many skill players have wrist plays / formations and they would stare at the sideline and then stare at the sheets on their wrists. Took a lot of time for them.

These are past ISU coaches that had success and left: Johnny Majors, Earl Bruce, Jon Cooper. McCarney stayed and history tells us that didn't end well for him. ISU has went through a lot of head coaches in my lifetime. Walden are two off the top of my head.

Campbell was considered for a number of positions, but they never materialized, one being So California. I don't know if he ever turned one down.

If ISU can get to 7 and 5 this year he really should try to move on to the pro league. Quite candidately, with realignment, NIL, and transfer rules ISU and Iowa are both in a bad place. ISU is worst because financially they are behind Iowa.

Seat is nowhere near being hot. He can be there for as long as he wants.
McCarney should have been able to stay there as long as he wanted, but that didn’t happen.

Is he a better coach than the last couple guys? Probably. But right now he’s coaching to the level that Dan Mac was his last several years, just above .500 with one bad season thrown in. The Covid year doesn’t really count as we saw several schools be one year wonders that season before coming back down to earth the next year, just like ISU did. A sub .500 season this year and I think his seat gets warm. Too many problems with the little things that are obvious when watching them. But he’s still coaching there next year unless he loses every game the rest of this season.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
He really has to be kicking himself for not jumping on one of the offers he got a few years ago.

Reactions: blhawk
Im an ISU (and Iowa) fan. Campbell probably has a secret lifetime contract in Ames and it’s well deserved IMO. His teams are so much better than anything ISU has ever seen. I don’t think many ISU fans thought they would have a team with a pulse this year, but they seem to have one.
Good post.
Campbell is the best thing that has happened to ISU football.

That was a real head scratcher. Down 2 touchdowns and showing no urgency at all.

Agree he missed his chance to move on.

He's really kinda douchey and Clone fans are slowly starting to realize he's nothing special.
Just curious why you think he’s Douchey? He’s from ISU and it’s still hate week, so **** that guy, but in all honesty he seems like a pretty good guy.

The whole gambling fiasco really ****ed his roster this year. Add to the fact that their WRs dropped like 7 passes today, and that’s a recipe for disaster against a defense like Iowa.

As for clock management, we were loving the lack of urgency on that TD drive. It did seem like they could have picked up their pace. At the same time, they were going against a very disciplined and fundamentally sound D that was keeping everything in front of them. It would do them no good to hurry up and turn it over on downs.

ISU doesn’t have the offensive horses to get behind our secondary for a long TD pass, especially against our defensive scheme. They really had no choice but to work it down the field. Now, I do think they could have shaved some time off by just picking up the pace, but there wasn’t a lot more they could do. They had to take what our D was giving them.

My ISU friends still love Cambell. I don't see a hot seat for him at all. He has it made! No pressure to have great seasons....cash the checks and play somewhat competitive football and he can laugh all the way to the bank!

I honestly thought that if he pushed it, Iowa would turn them over. He sensed that as well.

His best chance at the touchdown was to slow walk it all the way there. Take his chances with a few minutes and 3 timeouts. It almost worked.

This is exactly. He ****ed up and should have left when the leaving was good. Bottom line is he's not that good of a coach. Dude has had some great offensive talent and wasted it.

If he sucks this year, he had better win next year. ISU is the bottom of the barrel historically, but even they want to win.

There are only two types of ISU football coaches. Those who have success and get the hell out, and those who get fired. There is no other kind. He had his chance at the former. He is looking more like the latter.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
If he sucks this year, he had better win next year. ISU is the bottom of the barrel historically, but even they want to win.

There are only two types of ISU football coaches. Those who have success and get the hell out, and those who get fired. There is no other kind. He had his chance at the former. He is looking more like the latter.
CheeseDick had no success and got the hell out.

It almost looked like it was August scrimmage and he wanted to see if his offense could put together a drive by taking their time, mixing in run and pass, etc But Iowa was playing soft on Dee so I think ISU could have pushed toward the endzone quicker.

He also threw for over 3,000 yards at a 66% clip in his first season last year. ISU took a major hit on offense and we reaped the benefits of it. Fans aren't holding this season against Campbell.
Yes they are starting to criticize Lil Matty.

Much like Iowa, ISU is riding the defense for success.

That 7+ minute 4th quarter drive when you're down 2 tds was beyond stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT